KOHL's return policy changing for the worst

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Text Only
I just went to return something yesterday that was DEFECTIVE. I had bought a bamboo tray that had a huge gouge in it. Anyway, I was offered $1 back because the sale price was $11. They didn't have any more in the store, so I either had to keep it or get $1 back, despite that it was DEFECTIVE. I will definitely not shop at Kohls again.

Suggest people post on Kohls Facebook page and see if you can get a response

I had to return a $15 item due to size that I bought online. That purchase earned me Kohls Cash and I did spend the KC. So as expected, they deducted $10 from the return. Question is, the other portion of my purchase was a gift. If *that* was to get returned, does the system know that the $10 for KC was already deducted??

gizmo said:   I had to return a $15 item due to size that I bought online. That purchase earned me Kohls Cash and I did spend the KC. So as expected, they deducted $10 from the return. Question is, the other portion of my purchase was a gift. If *that* was to get returned, does the system know that the $10 for KC was already deducted??

Yes (from my experience). Note that it is not automatic $10 deduction. I had once bought $212 worth of items and returned a $8 item. It kept track of the original $212 and hence the return did not trigger a Kohl's cash reduction.

PrincipalMember said:   gizmo said:   I had to return a $15 item due to size that I bought online. That purchase earned me Kohls Cash and I did spend the KC. So as expected, they deducted $10 from the return. Question is, the other portion of my purchase was a gift. If *that* was to get returned, does the system know that the $10 for KC was already deducted??

Yes (from my experience). Note that it is not automatic $10 deduction. I had once bought $212 worth of items and returned a $8 item. It kept track of the original $212 and hence the return did not trigger a Kohl's cash reduction.

Yep, I got the fact it's only if drops below the $50 increments, so glad to know they haven't completely f'ed this up. I was just hoping to save embarrassment if there happened to a return on the gift item I had shipped directly to someone. Purchases earning KC make me nervous now LOL Thanks

The problem is though if the person returning the gift triggers your original purchase below the $50(or some increment of) , the gift receiver
would not get the money back to perhaps purchase something else. This happened to me with a gift I was going to give and changed my mind. Thank
God I returned it because they would only give me $2 back for a crock pot. Had I given the gift to someone and they had returned it, it would have been
quite embarrassing.

gizmo said:   PrincipalMember said:   gizmo said:   I had to return a $15 item due to size that I bought online. That purchase earned me Kohls Cash and I did spend the KC. So as expected, they deducted $10 from the return. Question is, the other portion of my purchase was a gift. If *that* was to get returned, does the system know that the $10 for KC was already deducted??

Yep, I got the fact it's only if drops below the $50 increments, so glad to know they haven't completely f'ed this up. I was just hoping to save embarrassment if there happened to a return on the gift item I had shipped directly to someone. Purchases earning KC make me nervous now LOL Thanks

I worked at Kohl's for 12 years and it's people that abused the process that made them change it. The fact is if you use Kohl's cash they WILL deduct it no matter HOW you get the refund back. I say it's about time! I also know that you have to use the whole amount of your Kohl's cash now or you lose what is left over. Kohls always has had a lenient return policy and people do USE them when it comes to that. I'm sorry if you wear the jeans 50 times and get a hole in them you should NOT be able to return them. Or if you get a rebate on an item, cut of the UPC and mail in a receipt...you should NOT be able to return it AND get the rebate. So, I say I'm just sorry I quit before they changed this policy.

Well I guess you can always exchange the item so there isn't that hassle.

I was just at Kohl's this morning. I was returning two clearance items (one for $7.20 and one for $7.60). I had purchased them using Kohl's cash in May. The Customer Service girl scanned the original receipt and the UPC codes and came up with a $0.00 refund. She took the items and gave me the receipt. When I asked where my store credit was she said I didn't get anything under their new policy. I asked to talk to a manager and she said the same thing. Finally the manager said I could do an even exchange but I would have to find one clearanced item for exactly $7.20 and one for $7.60. I walked around for an hour and a half and couldn't find anything for myself so I bought two items for my adult kids. Don't know what will happen if they need to return them as the only receipt I was given was one showing an even exchange. They could not generate gift receipts.

dtmann said:   I was just at Kohl's this morning. I was returning two clearance items (one for $7.20 and one for $7.60). I had purchased them using Kohl's cash in May. The Customer Service girl scanned the original receipt and the UPC codes and came up with a $0.00 refund. She took the items and gave me the receipt. When I asked where my store credit was she said I didn't get anything under their new policy. I asked to talk to a manager and she said the same thing. Finally the manager said I could do an even exchange but I would have to find one clearanced item for exactly $7.20 and one for $7.60. I walked around for an hour and a half and couldn't find anything for myself so I bought two items for my adult kids. Don't know what will happen if they need to return them as the only receipt I was given was one showing an even exchange. They could not generate gift receipts.

This makes no sense to me. I have returned items purchased with Kohl's cash and they have generated a store credit for the Kohl's cash amount + any additional that I paid.

Did you return part of the original order that generated the Kohl's cash?

Nothing had been returned that generated the Kohl's cash.

PrincipalMember said:   dtmann said:   I was just at Kohl's this morning. I was returning two clearance items (one for $7.20 and one for $7.60). I had purchased them using Kohl's cash in May. The Customer Service girl scanned the original receipt and the UPC codes and came up with a $0.00 refund. She took the items and gave me the receipt. When I asked where my store credit was she said I didn't get anything under their new policy. I asked to talk to a manager and she said the same thing. Finally the manager said I could do an even exchange but I would have to find one clearanced item for exactly $7.20 and one for $7.60. I walked around for an hour and a half and couldn't find anything for myself so I bought two items for my adult kids. Don't know what will happen if they need to return them as the only receipt I was given was one showing an even exchange. They could not generate gift receipts.

This makes no sense to me. I have returned items purchased with Kohl's cash and they have generated a store credit for the Kohl's cash amount + any additional that I paid.

Did you return part of the original order that generated the Kohl's cash?

I thought this would work. I thought deducting the Kohls cash would only happen when returning items that generated the Kohls cash. If Kohls is not doing either, they are taking money from the customer.

I was in Kohl's in Albany NY tonight & questioned their return policy if I had used Kohl's Cash . I was told that they are back to their old rules. Within reason, you will get a Kohl's gift card for the amount of Kohl's Cash you used. She kind of implied that that may not apply if the entire purchase was made with Kohl's cash.

The new policy is regarding returning items that generated Kohl's Cash and not when spending the earned Kohl's Cash.

Kohls realized they were loosing too much money from people taking advantage of the store credit regarding keeping their Kohl's cash. People would buy things to earn Kohls cash wait to return it get store credit and then use store credit plus a small portion on their Kohls charge to get an additional percent off and to the company that was double discounting which means they were loosing even more money. When you redeem Kohls cash for your purchase and then return that purchase why should the company reward you by letting you keep a gift they had already given you in their eyes they were not going to continue to let you keep changing your mind and keep getting store credit so they stopped giving store credit for Kohls cash purchases I never understood how they were making money the old way myself!

You will only get the 40 back to your Kohls charge no option of store credit

I really don't understand why people keep bitching about a gift that Kohls gave you for spending money at their store and when you bring their merchandise back I changed my mind Kohls is simply saying then we want that nice gift back, we didn't make any money cause you bought the merchandise back and you want us to lose even more money by letting you keep our gift please people it is not that complicated you want to get something for nothing think if this was your business you decide to reward customers for shopping at your store but they keep bringing your merchandise back but you keep saying no go ahead keep that 10 dollars now not only do you not make any money for what was returned and probably would have to damage it so you cant resale but you have just given 10 dollars to boot goodness it's basic economics. stop saying you will shop somewhere else because believe me Kohls is the most lenient store about returns I've ever seen and plus prices are much higher elsewhere so you'll be back maybe with you tail between your legs and your face covered so folks won't know it's you but YOU WILL be back because after all you are the customer that wants FREE money so I know you will be back cause they have awesome deals and YOU KNOW IT, YEAH YOU!!!!!!!!

sandybotron said:   I really don't understand why people keep bitching about a gift that Kohls gave you for spending money at their store and when you bring their merchandise back I changed my mind Kohls is simply saying then we want that nice gift back, we didn't make any money cause you bought the merchandise back and you want us to lose even more money by letting you keep our gift please people it is not that complicated you want to get something for nothing think if this was your business you decide to reward customers for shopping at your store but they keep bringing your merchandise back but you keep saying no go ahead keep that 10 dollars now not only do you not make any money for what was returned and probably would have to damage it so you cant resale but you have just given 10 dollars to boot goodness it's basic economics. stop saying you will shop somewhere else because believe me Kohls is the most lenient store about returns I've ever seen and plus prices are much higher elsewhere so you'll be back maybe with you tail between your legs and your face covered so folks won't know it's you but YOU WILL be back because after all you are the customer that wants FREE money so I know you will be back cause they have awesome deals and YOU KNOW IT, YEAH YOU!!!!!!!!

Nice, so you signed up for FW just to make these posts. Get a grip... YEAH YOU!!!!!!!!

sandybotron said:   I really don't understand why people keep bitching about a gift that Kohls gave you for spending money at their store and when you bring their merchandise back I changed my mind Kohls is simply saying then we want that nice gift back, we didn't make any money cause you bought the merchandise back and you want us to lose even more money by letting you keep our gift please people it is not that complicated you want to get something for nothing think if this was your business you decide to reward customers for shopping at your store but they keep bringing your merchandise back but you keep saying no go ahead keep that 10 dollars now not only do you not make any money for what was returned and probably would have to damage it so you cant resale but you have just given 10 dollars to boot goodness it's basic economics. stop saying you will shop somewhere else because believe me Kohls is the most lenient store about returns I've ever seen and plus prices are much higher elsewhere so you'll be back maybe with you tail between your legs and your face covered so folks won't know it's you but YOU WILL be back because after all you are the customer that wants FREE money so I know you will be back cause they have awesome deals and YOU KNOW IT, YEAH YOU!!!!!!!!

I don't think all the people are complaining aobut wanting to keep all of the "free money" I know some of us just think Kohl should prorate it as you return items that might bring your original purchase below the $50 increment that earned the Kohl's cash. I am the person who keeps griping about the crock pot return. However, when I purchased that crockpot, I spent over $300 in the store. I must have returned an item (before Konls changed their policy) before returning the $20 crockpot because when I went to return it, Kohls could only give me $2 back. I understand what you are saying but why not prorate the Kohls cash over my entire purchase. I had kept well over $200 worth of mrechandise. They should prorate my $50 Kohls cash over everything. By the way, I know they have this capability. I recently returned an item off a recepit that use the $10 gift coupons that they sometimes offer. Kohls did not take away the $10, but did remove a prorated portion of the $10. I am fine with that.

mchambomatic said:   I know some of us just think Kohl should prorate it as you return items that might bring your original purchase below the $50 increment that earned the Kohl's cash. ... I understand what you are saying but why not prorate the Kohls cash over my entire purchase. I had kept well over $200 worth of mrechandise. They should prorate my $50 Kohls cash over everything.Prorating will still encourage abuse. Kohl's Cash is $10 on each $50 increment, not 20% off. Before the change, it was stupid to buy $42 worth of merchandise and "lose" $10 KC, so people would buy a filler item to reach $50. Some people would then turn around and return the filler ("abusers") and keep the KC; other's would keep the filler item. Of course that policy put out the welcome mat for abusers. With prorating, the "abusers" have to work a little harder, but they still can abuse the system. The only way to eliminate abuse is to revoke KC if your remaining purchase total goes below a $50 increment.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   mchambomatic said:   I know some of us just think Kohl should prorate it as you return items that might bring your original purchase below the $50 increment that earned the Kohl's cash. ... I understand what you are saying but why not prorate the Kohls cash over my entire purchase. I had kept well over $200 worth of mrechandise. They should prorate my $50 Kohls cash over everything.Prorating will still encourage abuse. Kohl's Cash is $10 on each $50 increment, not 20% off. Before the change, it was stupid to buy $42 worth of merchandise and "lose" $10 KC, so people would buy a filler item to reach $50. Some people would then turn around and return the filler ("abusers") and keep the KC; other's would keep the filler item. Of course that policy put out the welcome mat for abusers. With prorating, the "abusers" have to work a little harder, but they still can abuse the system. The only way to eliminate abuse is to revoke KC if your remaining purchase total goes below a $50 increment.

So why did they prorate my other $10? Kohls could have said it was a "gift" and if I return something I lose it. And really I wouldn't think Kohls would care if prorating now changes from 20% off instead of $10 KC. They
put out coupons so often, I would not think they would care. There are so many people, myself included, that would go to the store after receiving $10 Kohls cash and spend way more than $10 just to use it up. I
would think that would offset abusers of prorating. Just my opinion.
Because of this change, I am shopping more at other stores. I did receive a 30% off and went back to Kohls even though I said I wouldn't. I only bought a couple items though. Normally I would have stocked up when
I get 30%. So I do think this change is hurting the kind of customers Kohls wants to keep. I have been doing much more shopping at Macys, who also runs good sales. Perhaps not as flexible return policy, but that
doesn't matter to me because I was not one of the abusers. See this policy has chased away good customers as well.

Being in IT, I can say the simple fix would be to identify Store credit ( generated by returning KC items) and not allow further discounts on it ( treat same way like KC).

I had $80 KC (yes..I shop a lot) & made use of $80 KC to buy Samsonite suitcase worth $87. So I used $80 KC & $7 from my Debit card. When I went to return this item, they offered me $7 cash.Would you take it? Its simply nonsense and I will never shop at Kohl's.

I am with PrincipalMember and MISTERCHEAP on this one also. Just because they call it Kohl's CASH doesn't make it cash. It is a coupon for rewarding you for shopping and to encourage you to come back. You do that and then later if you have to make a return from the original purchase, they make you "buy the coupon". If they had not given you the coupon enticement in the first place, you would probably not have gone back and used it. Because of the expiration date I often use the Kohl's cash on something non-essential. I believe this is a form of bait and switch and eventually some lawyer will have a class action suit against them and win. Until then, I will be a more cautious buyer and shop a bit less at Kohl's. BTW, shopping shouldn't be so stressful and complicated. The new JCP is much easier. Denise

gctrack said:   I had $80 KC (yes..I shop a lot) & made use of $80 KC to buy Samsonite suitcase worth $87. So I used $80 KC & $7 from my Debit card. When I went to return this item, they offered me $7 cash.Would you take it? Its simply nonsense and I will never shop at Kohl's.Are you saying they offered you $7 in cash and nothing in credit? Or did you forget the $80 in credit?

I returned two things purchased with KC last week and got a KMRC for all of it (plus the rest back to the respective credit cards I used). I also purchased something with an expired $10 KC during the same visit. They had to have the manager override it, and he entered it as an item discount rather than KC. I'm sure that if/when I return that item, I'm not going to get the $10 back, which means I will have to return it without the receipt and hope it hasn't been on sale for less than I paid.

I wanted to exchange 3 shirts received as birthday gifts because they were the wrong size. I did not have a gift receipt. So, I was given store credit in the amount of $6 for two of the shirts and $19.79 for the other for a total of $34.26. I then purchased the exact same shirts except for size and color (since they were out of the original colors). I was charged $11.99 (reduced from $30) for the two shirt and $24.99 (marked down from $50) for the other for a total of $52.77. I walked out of the store with the exact same merchandise I walked in with, but had to pay an additional $18.52 for the privilege. To me, that's a rip off.

kkehner said:   I wanted to exchange 3 shirts received as birthday gifts because they were the wrong size. I did not have a gift receipt. So, I was given store credit in the amount of $6 for two of the shirts and $19.79 for the other for a total of $34.26. I then purchased the exact same shirts except for size and color (since they were out of the original colors). I was charged $11.99 (reduced from $30) for the two shirt and $24.99 (marked down from $50) for the other for a total of $52.77. I walked out of the store with the exact same merchandise I walked in with, but had to pay an additional $18.52 for the privilege. To me, that's a rip off.Why didn't you just do an even exchange at the register? There was absolutely no reason to do a return, the cashier could have done a swap so long as the items were the same other than size and color. You caused your own problem and have only yourself to blame. I also would not have been surprised that you could have come out the same way if you had gone to the return desk with the stuff you wanted to buy. Even if all you had done was lose the Kohls Cash, you still would only have been out $10, so it's obvious that you messed up.

Update -- I guess you could not have done an even exchange at the register without a receipt but I don't see why you could not have done so at customer service. What you did had nothing to do with the new policy, when you return without a receipt you get the lowest selling price within some period of time. You definitely should have at least tried to do an even exchange at CS.

billrubin said:   kkehner said:   I wanted to exchange 3 shirts received as birthday gifts because they were the wrong size. I did not have a gift receipt. So, I was given store credit in the amount of $6 for two of the shirts and $19.79 for the other for a total of $34.26. I then purchased the exact same shirts except for size and color (since they were out of the original colors). I was charged $11.99 (reduced from $30) for the two shirt and $24.99 (marked down from $50) for the other for a total of $52.77. I walked out of the store with the exact same merchandise I walked in with, but had to pay an additional $18.52 for the privilege. To me, that's a rip off.Why didn't you just do an even exchange at the register? There was absolutely no reason to do a return, the cashier could have done a swap so long as the items were the same other than size and color. You caused your own problem and have only yourself to blame. I also would not have been surprised that you could have come out the same way if you had gone to the return desk with the stuff you wanted to buy. Even if all you had done was lose the Kohls Cash, you still would only have been out $10, so it's obvious that you messed up.

Update -- I guess you could not have done an even exchange at the register without a receipt but I don't see why you could not have done so at customer service. What you did had nothing to do with the new policy, when you return without a receipt you get the lowest selling price within some period of time. You definitely should have at least tried to do an even exchange at CS.

Problem is that CS doesn't always mention you can do an even exchange. You have to know to ask - it may not be an obvious thing to everyone. But as said, this has nothing to do w/ the new policy.

gizmo said:   Problem is that CS doesn't always mention you can do an even exchange. You have to know to ask - it may not be an obvious thing to everyone. But as said, this has nothing to do w/ the new policy.But they certainly should have told you that you are getting the lowest selling price becuase you do not have a receipt.

you dont need a receipt to do an even exchange. you can do this at the register. it has to be the same retail price on the price tag. so something that original price is 49.99, you can do an even exchange for any other item in the stor that has an original price of 49.99.

if its on clearance, thats another story. I would go back to the store with your reciepts and explain that you exchanged the item - same item but different size/color. They should make it right and give you the difference you paid back..

This is is confusing and hence anti consumer . Here is how.
You spent 50 and get 10 kc in tr 1.
Use 10 kc in another transaction to max benefit.

So this is 10 of 60. Effectively 16.6 percent max.

Return issues:
On return of transaction 1 you will certainly loose 10 even if you return one item that was worth 11 under premise you no longer meet 50 promotion.
Ok then if I return second transaction why do i get store credit (and nothing to few people not sure why).
As soon as first transaction deal is off second return should become return for cash and not for Kmrc.
Ad if secon transaction return is already done then before transaction 1 then store credit shoul be allowed to convert to cash. Kohls cash is not real currency, and not even close to store credit as it has expiry date.

Complex to implement, then you started it. Why not Keep it simple and call it 10 of 60 begin with and do not involve multi transaction and multi return issue. This has too many loopholes for consumer to take advantage off and too confusing for normal human being to fathom how to deal with.

I will still shop at Kohls, I under stand these complications and sign up for this with full understanding. It just that sometime initial gratification is robbed after say a week.

atghate said:   
...Complex to implement, then you started it. Why not Keep it simple and call it 10 of 60 ...

because they bank a certain amount on bringing people in to shop during Kohls cash periods.... and then bank on them forgetting to come back and use the KC (obviously not FW users!).

I think it's funny how people "think" they are being ripped off.. Kohls cash is generated on every 50$ speant. If you return something, you no longer speant the increment of 50$ and are no longer eligible for the Kohls cash. So if you speant the Kohls cash, they take it back the only way they can. They give you the option of an even exchange so you don't lose your Kohls cash- or regular refund, so utilize that option.. It's common sense how a company would lose money if they didn't implement some sort of "rules"- think about how easy a company can go bankrupt.. I'll leave you with one example... "Susie Goes into Kohls, spends 600$, earns 120$ in Kohls cash. Johnny her husband also goes into Kohls and spends 600 on his charge card also receives 120$ in Kohls cash. The following week they decide to Return everything they charged, only after they speant their Kohls cash on a new vacuum. "So what you want- is the company to let them keep the free vacuum when they return all the items which allowed them to earn the " free vacuum" in the first place??!
Because with that type of easy business- susie and jonny come back a few weeks later use their 600$ in store credit during a Kohls cash earning period, and they do their whole crooked scheme all over again.. Think about it.. Not everyone is a honest shopper, and because of those greedy ass people im sure retail prices will soar...

It is spelled "spent " and not " speant" ^^^^^

italiaroxx said:   I think it's funny how people "think" they are being ripped off...................

Under which rock were you hiding? Did you even read some of the posts? It is people like you that I have no sympathy for when they get ripped off by stores or Kohl's fires them being clueless since instead of getting educated about people's issues by reading the thread, they think they have discovered electricity even when everybody else already knows about electricity.

Kohls is a rip off!!! I bought a couple sweaters and received a $10 KC. To use on a future purchase. I returned the sweaters they didn't fit. They said they will be deducting the the KC from the amount I will be getting back, so instead of $50 its now $40. I asked we'll what r u going to do if I return the things I bought with the KC they said well we have to deduct the $10 so I'm losing $20 instead of $10. What if I lose the the $10 KC? This needs to be investigated

teachium said:   Kohls is a rip off!!! I bought a couple sweaters and received a $10 KC. To use on a future purchase. I returned the sweaters they didn't fit. They said they will be deducting the the KC from the amount I will be getting back, so instead of $50 its now $40. I asked we'll what r u going to do if I return the things I bought with the KC they said well we have to deduct the $10 so I'm losing $20 instead of $10. What if I lose the the $10 KC? This needs to be investigated

If you return something that you bought with Kohl's cash, if you get store credit, you will get the full value back. I believe that if you ask for your Cash Back, then you get the cash paid + Kohl's cash as store credit.

I AGREE, I DO HAVE SAME PROBLEM WITH THERE NEW POLICY, I WILL NEVER SHOP AT Kohls.

People Beware and ask associate about there new return policy (about coupons and kohl cash)

I must be stupid because I've read all 5 pages and still don't understand. It seems every other poster is having opposite experiences of the one before them. A few people have posted Kohls has reverted to the previous rules.

I want to return a $19 item I bought during a Kohls cash period. I spent around $200 in that transaction. Kohls cash has already been spent. In the past I would have been able to get a refund to my Kohls card for the full amount, if it still left me at $200 minimum. I would have gotten $19 - $10 refunded to my charge if it dropped me below $200. If I accepted a store credit I could get the $19 credit either way.

What should I expect to happen at the store? If that last option is gone -- am I correct in reading the above posts that if I find an item for $19 they can do an "exchange" even if its a different item so I get my full $19 value and not $9?

gctrack said:   Being in IT, I can say the simple fix would be to identify Store credit ( generated by returning KC items) and not allow further discounts on it ( treat same way like KC).

I had $80 KC (yes..I shop a lot) & made use of $80 KC to buy Samsonite suitcase worth $87. So I used $80 KC & $7 from my Debit card. When I went to return this item, they offered me $7 cash.Would you take it? Its simply nonsense and I will never shop at Kohl's.

Agreed. Just had them try to pull the same nonsense on me. Sounds like to me this is double charging on returns, since they'll charge you for KC discount when returning a product that generated the KC, and they give no credit for KC when returning an item purchased with KC. The BBB will be hearing from me.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.