• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
Heads up for those looking to buy a new PC or laptop. Microsoft's consumer Windows 8 software assurance program starts today. Complete details are available here




Eligibility Details

The offer is for customers (e.g. Home users, students, and enthusiasts) who purchase a qualified PC. A qualified PC is a new PC purchased during the promotional period with a valid Windows 7 OEM Certificate of Authenticity and product key for, and preinstalled with:
Windows 7 Home Basic;
Windows 7 Home Premium;
Windows 7 Professional; or
Windows 7 Ultimate.

The promotional price is limited to one upgrade offer per PC purchased, and a maximum limit of five upgrade offers per customer.

Key Dates
You must purchase a qualified Windows 7 PC between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013 to be eligible for this offer. The last day to register and order your Windows 8 upgrade is February 28, 2013.


10/26/2012 Update

This offer is now live. To redeem your coupon for the $14.99 offer before Microsft sends out the availability emails do the following:

1 You need locate your order confirmation code for your orignal order.
2 Log in to the windowsupgradeoffer website with your email and order information.
3.About half-way down the order confirmation page you will see a coupon code for the $14.99 Windows 8 Pro Upgrade offer
4. You MUST download and run the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor to redeem the code. You cannot use the code on the public Miscrosoft.com e-commerce site.
5. Once you complete the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor, it will give you the link to order the product key and download the app that will upgrade your PC. THIS DOWNLOAD IS NOT A WINDOWS 8 PRO UPGRADE ISO.

Don't forget to apply your coupon from step 3.above. Otherwise Microsoft will charge you the full $39.99 for the upgrade.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
From what I can gather from their website, you can use this Windows 8 upgrade on any computer? Meaning it does not have ... (more)

FatUglyStupid (Nov. 06, 2012 @ 6:17p) |

Your XP computer must have SP3. From MS:

Upgrade Software

Each upgrade license will apply to only one PC and may only be ... (more)

kenmoreland (Nov. 06, 2012 @ 8:38p) |

Don't suppose this would work for a home-built PC? Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU all purchased during the eligible per... (more)

Guppeh (Dec. 25, 2012 @ 11:38a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Terms said: While the offer will be limited to eligible customers who purchase a qualified PC, the upgrade may be installed on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying operating system.

what if the pc was purchased prior to June 2/ does it still qualify for the windows 8
upgrade offer?

ex4090 said:   what if the pc was purchased prior to June 2/ does it still qualify for the windows 8
upgrade offer?

No.

does this offer apply for windows 7 software purchases (as opposed to a hardware pc with win 7 loaded)?

And if not, why not?

salsdali said:   does this offer apply for windows 7 software purchases (as opposed to a hardware pc with win 7 loaded)?
No.

salsdali said:   And if not, why not?
I'm sure OP has no inside information, but the intent is to support PC sales leading up to the launch of a new product. Microsoft has been doing this since Win95 (My Win98 upgrade disk was free). This also adds to the Microsoft bottom line sales figure for the new launch as many who would not upgrade jump on the limited time, reduced cost upgrade.

salsdali said:   does this offer apply for windows 7 software purchases (as opposed to a hardware pc with win 7 loaded)?

And if not, why not?


This specific program is for new PC purchases with Windows 7 only. In the past Microsoft has also offered similar software assurance programs for FPP (ie full retail) versions of their OS and Office products but the qualifying time frame is usually much shorter than their OEM software assurance program. If I remember correctly when Windows 7 launched it was qualifying retail purchases 90 days prior to the launch got you a free retail upgrade download. Assuming Microosft makes their scheduled mid-October launch date you should start hearing about the retail software assurance in mid-July. Don;t worry about missing out, but the time Windows 8 actually launches you will be tired of hearing about these upgrade offers as Micrsoft and retailers spend millions promotiong them. Also as a general rule the participating OEMs and retailers usually offers some incentive such as free merchandise, a rebate, or outright footing the bill for Microosft's $14.99 fee for this upgrade. In Staples case the incentive seems to be a $14.99 Easy Rebate at this time.

Under the previous consumer software assurance programs for their retail OS products you could also pay an additional $10 if you wanted the physical media which supposedly will NOT be an option anymore. Instead Microsoft is opting for download only software assurance deliveries for their retail OS products and Microosft is providing a free tool that will makes the physical media on DVD or USB Flash drive. Microsoft has already been doing this for Windows 7 sales via their online Microsoft store for over a year now so it should not be an issue for most. As in the past, major OEMs will continue administer their own Widnows 8 software assurance upgrade programs on behalf of Microsoft and those OEMs will most likely still provide the Windows 8 Pro upgrade on physical media plus additional media with hardware specific drivers for their PCs. They also usually provide some sort of upgrade assurance checks to their customers.

Maybe a dumb question, but if one buys a laptop on the 1st, how would MS know? Are they asking for copies of receipts?

FKAKS said:   Maybe a dumb question...Yes

FKAKS said:   ...if one buys a laptop on the 1st, how would MS know? Are they asking for copies of receipts?Since is specifies "You must purchase a qualified Windows 7 PC between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013 to be eligible for this offer."; I'm going to go out on a limb and take a WAG, that yes you will have to prove you qualify. Why not just get an upgrade for the computer you bought two years ago then?

Not sure about other PC vendors, but Dell had their own Windows 7 Upgrade registration website for those who purchased a computer (XP or Vista) from them within the promotion time frame. I'm sure they will have similar setup this time around.

AnandTech is reporting that the preorder of Win8 upgrade will be $40.

Bump to report Windows 8 Pro registration wesbite is now active. It is interesting MS is not requiring any proof of purchase to get the upgrade at least not as of this post.

Thanks, cnlsfg -- just registered.

Information from confirmation email:
Microsoft said: Ordering Your Upgrade

Windows Upgrade Offer will be available to order from October 26, 2012 until February 28, 2013. Around October 26, 2012, you will receive another email that includes your personal promotion code which enables you to receive the special promotional pricing for the digital download of Windows 8 Pro. That email will also include instructions on how to order the Windows 8 Pro download and how to purchase an optional DVD. Since the email will be sent to the email address you provided when you registered. If you change your email address prior to October 26, 2012, please visit the My Order webpage indicated above and update your email address. This will ensure your promotion code and ordering instructions are sent to the appropriate email address.

Note: You must order your upgrade using the PC that you wish to upgrade.


What is this crap? Are they grabbing hardware info at the time of order? Or is this because you're downloading a huge installation file?

Hoogineer said:   Thanks, cnlsfg -- just registered.

Information from confirmation email:
Microsoft said: Ordering Your Upgrade

Windows Upgrade Offer will be available to order from October 26, 2012 until February 28, 2013. Around October 26, 2012, you will receive another email that includes your personal promotion code which enables you to receive the special promotional pricing for the digital download of Windows 8 Pro. That email will also include instructions on how to order the Windows 8 Pro download and how to purchase an optional DVD. Since the email will be sent to the email address you provided when you registered. If you change your email address prior to October 26, 2012, please visit the My Order webpage indicated above and update your email address. This will ensure your promotion code and ordering instructions are sent to the appropriate email address.

Note: You must order your upgrade using the PC that you wish to upgrade.


What is this crap? Are they grabbing hardware info at the time of order? Or is this because you're downloading a huge installation file?




It looks like they will verify you are eligible this way.

Donedealzz said:   Hoogineer said:   Thanks, cnlsfg -- just registered.

Information from confirmation email:
Microsoft said: Ordering Your Upgrade

Windows Upgrade Offer will be available to order from October 26, 2012 until February 28, 2013. Around October 26, 2012, you will receive another email that includes your personal promotion code which enables you to receive the special promotional pricing for the digital download of Windows 8 Pro. That email will also include instructions on how to order the Windows 8 Pro download and how to purchase an optional DVD. Since the email will be sent to the email address you provided when you registered. If you change your email address prior to October 26, 2012, please visit the My Order webpage indicated above and update your email address. This will ensure your promotion code and ordering instructions are sent to the appropriate email address.

Note: You must order your upgrade using the PC that you wish to upgrade.


What is this crap? Are they grabbing hardware info at the time of order? Or is this because you're downloading a huge installation file?




It looks like they will verify you are eligible this way.


I doubt it since you can also order physical media in lieu of a download and they do not ask for any hardware information other than make and model. I applied for upgrades using my home PC for several PCs we purchased back in June and all my order status shows approved. A couple of my co-workers placed orders using bogus purchase dates and machine make/ models and also got approvals so at least for now it appears MS is using the honor system. Also remember this offer is only for a $25 off coupon as the introductory price for the Windows 8 Pro upgrade from the MS download site will be $39.99 through April 2013 regardless of when you purchased your PC.

Unlike many people, I did legitimately buy a Win7 PC and signed up for this offer in an honest manner. I am wondering when/how I can get Win8 for 15 clams. I would prefer to do it today since I get discover 2% CashBack.

OliverQuackenbush said:   Unlike many people, I did legitimately buy a Win7 PC and signed up for this offer in an honest manner. I am wondering when/how I can get Win8 for 15 clams. I would prefer to do it today since I get discover 2% CashBack.

You can order and download right now. You need your order confirmation code and log in to the site in the OP. Oce you log in you will see the upgrade offer promotion code listed.

For those that thought they could simply lie on the inital request, Microsoft added some last minute validation to verify the computer you wish to upgrade matches your original claim. You must now run the MS Windows 8 upgrade advisor from the PC you provided in the inital order and once MS validates the PC ( It checks when the product ID (Not product key) on the qualifying PC to see when it was first activated, OEMSLI identifier from BIOS etc...) you can then pay and download your MS Windows 8 Pro Upgrade.

cnIsfg said:   OliverQuackenbush said:   Unlike many people, I did legitimately buy a Win7 PC and signed up for this offer in an honest manner. I am wondering when/how I can get Win8 for 15 clams. I would prefer to do it today since I get discover 2% CashBack.

You can order and download right now. You need your order confirmation code and log in to the site in the OP. Oce you log in you will see the upgrade offer promotion code listed.

For those that thought they could simply lie on the inital request, Microsoft added some last minute validation to verify the computer you wish to upgrade matches your original claim. You must now run the MS Windows 8 upgrade advisor from the PC you provided in the inital order and once MS validates the PC ( It checks when the product ID (Not product key) on the qualifying PC to see when it was first activated, OEMSLI identifier from BIOS etc...) you can then pay and download your MS Windows 8 Pro Upgrade.

Can you please provide a post/site that shows that this last minute validation stuff is true? There are piles of people on the net who are saying otherwise, they were able to get the $14.99 upgrade on installs from last year or even older.

I have no desire to install Win 8 right now but did buy two PCs that qualify and have the two promo codes required. I also qualify for rebates from Staples for the upgrade. Does anyone know if you can just pay and choose to download now and install at a later date?

ir0nw0lf said:   cnIsfg said:   OliverQuackenbush said:   Unlike many people, I did legitimately buy a Win7 PC and signed up for this offer in an honest manner. I am wondering when/how I can get Win8 for 15 clams. I would prefer to do it today since I get discover 2% CashBack.

You can order and download right now. You need your order confirmation code and log in to the site in the OP. Oce you log in you will see the upgrade offer promotion code listed.

For those that thought they could simply lie on the inital request, Microsoft added some last minute validation to verify the computer you wish to upgrade matches your original claim. You must now run the MS Windows 8 upgrade advisor from the PC you provided in the inital order and once MS validates the PC ( It checks when the product ID (Not product key) on the qualifying PC to see when it was first activated, OEMSLI identifier from BIOS etc...) you can then pay and download your MS Windows 8 Pro Upgrade.

Can you please provide a post/site that shows that this last minute validation stuff is true? There are piles of people on the net who are saying otherwise, they were able to get the $14.99 upgrade on installs from last year or even older.


INM I found the posts on FW.

skibum43 said:   I have no desire to install Win 8 right now but did buy two PCs that qualify and have the two promo codes required. I also qualify for rebates from Staples for the upgrade. Does anyone know if you can just pay and choose to download now and install at a later date?

You can install anythime once you get the key either by.

1. Downloading and running the Windows 8 installer when you are ready.
2. Order the official WIndows 8 Pro Upgrade media from Microsoft @ $14.99 plus $2.50 S&H + Tax
3. Obtain a copy of physical upgrade media from somone who has it.

I'm torn on this given the large # of very poor reviews on 8. Windows 7 is one of the better versions so far.

Nearly every seemingly fair and unbiased review states that Windows 8 is really worse than 7 UNLESS you're using a touchscreen equipped device, be it a tablet, touchscreen laptop, etc.

Will this work for those who bought a new XP system?

You should create your own impression. I installed it on two systems (one without touch screen), and I like it even more than Windows 7. It is all relative, and each user has different needs/expectations. I suspect you may like it.

I've been using it for days now. The conclusion? It's basically Win7 without the start menu. The "Metro" interface I almost never see anyway so no biggie. Probably wasn't worth the $15 except I didn't want to be at the mercy of MS forcing me into a Win 9 upgrade in a year.

I bought a refurb win7 pro laptop Oct 18 -tried to register for this win 8 upgrade and got a msg that I didn't qualify--Is that because I didnt buy a NEW pc (instead of a refurb)??

does this only work if you bought a new pc (not a refurb)?

From what I can gather from their website, you can use this Windows 8 upgrade on any computer? Meaning it does not have to be installed only on the new computer you purchased in order to qualify for the offer. I have a computer running XP that I want to upgrade, and this would be the least expensive option for me. Thanks for any info in advance.

FatUglyStupid said:   From what I can gather from their website, you can use this Windows 8 upgrade on any computer? Meaning it does not have to be installed only on the new computer you purchased in order to qualify for the offer. I have a computer running XP that I want to upgrade, and this would be the least expensive option for me. Thanks for any info in advance.

Your XP computer must have SP3. From MS:

Upgrade Software

Each upgrade license will apply to only one PC and may only be installed on PCs with a valid base license to a qualifying operating system (i.e., Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista or Windows 7).

While the offer will be limited to eligible customers who purchase a qualified PC, the upgrade may be installed on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying operating system (see Windows 8 System Requirements). Customers should visit their PC manufacturer’s website for more information about how to upgrade their PC to Windows 8, including updated software and drivers.

You can check your XP computer for compatibility using Microsoft's Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.
There is an article on CNET about this here.

Don't suppose this would work for a home-built PC? Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU all purchased during the eligible period (case and HDD scavenged); Windows 7 Ultimate OS installed on my own. First-ever activation of the OS key, also during eligible period (but not an OEM version, of course).

Edit: Upgrade accepted apparently, I am now running Windows 8.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014