• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
According to the weekly ad, one can buy $50 in gift certificates (except for Giant itself) at Giant supermarkets and get a coupon back for $10 at Giant (large DC area chain).
See http://giantfood.shoplocal.com/gi...ingcount=8. The deal is mentioned in the middle of the first page of the circular.

It is currently in effect, ending June 14, but the mention above in the circular shows it will continue for next week also.

Discussion at site dealing with deals of a Slick type (and another catering to Frequent Fliers) report that one can buy one card, get the coupon, and then immediately use the coupon on your next purchase (at least in Maryland). This is a 20% discount. Of course, one may be able to use a credit card earning additional rebates(such as the AMEX Blue Preferred for another 6%, or $2.40 on $40).

From personal knowledge I know Giant has a wide selection of gift cards including Shell,Amazon and most of the others you may want.

Each transaction will have to be a separate checkout (otherwise only one coupon is printed out, regardless of how many cards you buy). If you use your coupon from one purchase on your next gift card purchase, it is suggested you pick a non-busy time and pick up a number of cards so you do not have to stand in line repeatedly. People have reported talking to managers and having them dedicate a lane to their work when buying a number of cards. It may be wise to warn your credit card company so a string of $40 purchases does not set off fraud alarms.

apparently Shop & Save is running a similar deal, but it is apparently limited to one per household.

You do need to have a Giant card for this offer (you can get one at the store if you lack one).

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So you are saying that we can use the $10 checkout coupon ( which by the way expires in 7 days) on another gift card?

The best discount you get is at the $50 gc.. As opposed to a $100 gc will yield a 10% discount or $500 gc will yield a merely 2%. I have been doing the latter one

pyro123 said:   The best discount you get is at the $50 gc.. As opposed to a $100 gc will yield a 10% discount or $500 gc will yield a merely 2%. I have been doing the latter one

Why have you been buying the $500 card if you know it's the least amount of savings?!?

To add to this- Giant also allows you to buy other merchant gift cards with giant store gift cards. I had returned some items and was curious if the return card would allow me to buy a gc and it would!

nyseGUY said:   pyro123 said:   The best discount you get is at the $50 gc.. As opposed to a $100 gc will yield a 10% discount or $500 gc will yield a merely 2%. I have been doing the latter one

Why have you been buying the $500 card if you know it's the least amount of savings?!?

To add to this- Giant also allows you to buy other merchant gift cards with giant store gift cards. I had returned some items and was curious if the return card would allow me to buy a gc and it would!

A bank lets me drain gc at a fixed amount.. So if i buy a lesser amount ($100) i end up loosing 10%. But a few hours ago i bought gas gc, this is by far the best discount, except the gas gc ran out pretty quick. So now i am debating whether to buy $100 gc vs $500 again..
5.95/50= ~12%
5.95/500= ~1.2%

About a 10% loss. So i figure i should stick with $500 gc

Gas cards are now excluded.

SteveORama said:   Gas cards are now excluded.

Any proof. Did the system spit out coupon at the end? Or the cashier didn't let u use the coupon?

Agreed. Avoid gas gc. You won't get the coupon

pyro123 said:   SteveORama said:   Gas cards are now excluded.

Any proof. Did the system spit out coupon at the end? Or the cashier didn't let u use the coupon?

I Went by Giant in Maryland.

I learned that Shell gift card were not covered (although not stated in adds). It also appears that the phone cards on the rack allng with other cards are not considered gift cards. Eventually, they give me something worth $10 for each of these (the failure to get a coupon is discovered only at the end, and gift cards are not returnable).

Since most people will probably be doing grocery shopping while there, the smart thing is to keep back at least $10 in groceries so that the last coupon can be used to pay for them.

I used my AMEX Blue Cash preferred for an extra 6% and there were no problems.

However, gift cards apparently do not get the gasoline rewards.

The process (especially with two disputes and shopping) proved time consuming.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014