Looking for the best TV antenna for RV

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I just retired and am looking for the best deal with the best reception for my camper. I found a ANI-9003S on Amazon. It is only $45 vs the Radio Shack and Winegard omni-directional antennas that sell for over $150. Any imput would be helpfull. I read the thread on the HDTV antennas and know that directional is better... but I don't want to get out in the rain and turn the antenna. Some of the places we camp are at lakes which are a long distance from stations.

Thannks for your input.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

turning won't help...thanks to congress, when it rains, it usually means there's a chance that stupid DTV box won't pick up diddly

go for what ever is cheap because if you're someplace wet, odds are it won't matter

Wouldn't pay much for one. Areas with poor reception wont make any difference if the antenna can pick up, say, 50% better - it's still unwatchable for a digital tv transmission.

You could get a truck type antenna such as http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/245… However rather than a TV antenna a satellite dish tends to work better with a satellite receiver when you are parked in the middle of nowhere. http://www.winegard.com/portable-satelli…

You may want to try monoprice.com and their hdtv antenna. Item number 4730.. 750 reviewers w average rating of 4.5

Cost is roughly $25 delivered and it states it is indoor/outdoor.

link

I have a Winegard that came with my trailer and it looks like it was made specifically for RVs because it has a crank to be able to lower it while in transit and it must be somewhat omnidirectional because it also has a handle for rotating it to point towards a signal source. I've only tried it parked in our driveway but we live in a semi-rural area and it was able to pick up over a dozen stations (if you count the sub-channels). Also, it is amplified at some point because there is an on/off switch near the cable port and it definitely works much better when turned on.

Since it came with the RV, I don't know what they run but I'm guessing that it is a couple hundred, especially since just being made for an RV usually almost doubles the price of any component, even those that are not much different from similar products not labeled as such. However, I have to say that at least this thing does have some features that are specifically designed for use in an RV so in this case, the price is somewhat justified.

don't get hustled, try the cheapest one you can find and try that first, i have gotten fine HD reception with a bare copper wire jammed into the center of a coax port

Try asking at some of the Yahoo user groups about RVs

Coat hanger dude..

just went to an rv show.all luxury rv were using the jack
http://www.kingcontrols.com/jack/jack_aftermarket_antenna.asp

If you have satellite TV at home, you can get a roof-top satellite antenna, and then use your home receiver to watch satellite tv. Or you can add another receiver for an extra $5 per month to take with you.

You can even buy an antenna that automatically and continually tracks the satellite so someone in the back of the RV can watch satellite TV while you are on the go down the road.

the one with the deployment warning

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014