Comcast Xfinity Best Buy Debacle - cable modem-

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rustytacos's post is probably the most informative one. His handle, OTOH, it kinda' gross. Yuck.

Agreed that BB and ComCast both stink. ComCast, IMHO, is the worst. I have Cox -- they split along county lines here -- just for Internet which is much better. They occasionally try to upsell me on service and don't volunteer discounts unless I say "well, I saw this", but otherwise they're pretty fair. It would be nice if there more competition than just FIOS.

pthor1231 said:   allowingtoo said:   I hate Comcast. I tried that too. Didn't work. Anybody want a used modem?

Anyway, I'm still renting mine. Every couple of months they send me a letter telling me to contact them - that my battery needs replacing. So maybe I'm better off renting, because the battery is free from them.

I highly doubt you are coming out ahead at 7 dollars a month rental. Besides, I have never heard of a cable modem needing (or even having) a battery to replace. It has a wall wart for power, so I'm not even sure what a battery would be doing powering.

Cable modems that include an integral VOIP function from the "cable" provider and telephone jacks, often accomodate a battery that serves to provide enough back-up power for the modem's voice use for some numbers of hours in case of an A/C electrical power outage. More common and standard cable modem without that phone capability tend not to have the that built-in battery back-up.

Let me throw in a final rant...For at least the last couple years I've been paying for "Comcast Blast!"...the modem they were renting me (I've had it for about 7 years) doesn't operate at Blast! speed....I didn't know this till I started shopping modems....another scam job

timx said:   Let me throw in a final rant...For at least the last couple years I've been paying for "Comcast Blast!"...the modem they were renting me (I've had it for about 7 years) doesn't operate at Blast! speed....I didn't know this till I started shopping modems....another scam job

If you don't know what you're buying, don't.

If you were scammed, then do something about it -- other than rant.

Pay it forward!

When my year deal ran out with comcast, I was going to just do double play and buy a ooma phone modem, the 7.00 that comcast charges you a month rental fee almost pays for the monthly service for omma, BUT Comast now jacks up the double play rate and if you try to add hbo and the extras, it ends up being more then the triple play deals...

Dil

pthor1231 said:   allowingtoo said:   I hate Comcast. I tried that too. Didn't work. Anybody want a used modem?

Anyway, I'm still renting mine. Every couple of months they send me a letter telling me to contact them - that my battery needs replacing. So maybe I'm better off renting, because the battery is free from them.

I highly doubt you are coming out ahead at 7 dollars a month rental. Besides, I have never heard of a cable modem needing (or even having) a battery to replace. It has a wall wart for power, so I'm not even sure what a battery would be doing powering.

It's because you've never seen Arris telephony modem. Look it up on the google.

I was googling for a solution to my problem and found this story that I swore was written about my rather frustrating experience today. So, I also now own a modem that appeared on Comcast approved list that is useless for phone service. The last rep I spoke with gave me a list of about six approved emta modems that would support phone and internet, and was instructed to go to Best Buy. A quick BB website search revealed that exactly zero of the suggested modems we're available. The top three on the list could not even be purchased through Amazon. I am extremely discouraged and not sure whether to keep renting my 420 dollar modem or ccancel my phone service. Of course my bill doesn't go down any since I would lose the triple play discount.

I was googling for a solution to my problem and found this story that I swore was written about my rather frustrating experience today. So, I also now own a modem that appeared on Comcast approved list that is useless for phone service. The last rep I spoke with gave me a list of about six approved emta modems that would support phone and internet, and was instructed to go to Best Buy. A quick BB website search revealed that exactly zero of the suggested modems we're available. The top three on the list could not even be purchased through Amazon. I am extremely discouraged and not sure whether to keep renting my 420 dollar modem or ccancel my phone service. Of course my bill doesn't go down any since I would lose the triple play discount.

Just upgraded to HD with Comcast and the same circus - hours wasted with each Comcast rep saying something different. When we went to digital the same circus - no one had any idea what they were doing and I wasted hours on the phone trying to find one person who actually knew what they were talking about.

Comcast / Xfinity is just a huge waste of everyone time and money. But they're a monopoly here (and use their money and lobby power to prevent any competition) and we're stuck. Until we decide to get our legislators (not Republicans who are sucking from the Comcast teat) to regulate these clown crooks.

Integrated phone service created this complexity. The issue is legitimately ensuring 911 support. First of all 911 must route your call to the correct dispatch center, and given that a VOIP phone can be anywhere on Earth that is not automatic. In addition VOIP 911 has been regulated by the Gov't to make it more like your landline (i.e. automatically provides your operator with your address, works during a power outage (which is why the modem has a battery btw), etc.), and where there are regulations there are legal liabilities should it not work when it is supposed to. Making you buy the exact model modem from Best Buy stinks for sure, but the legal liability involved here is non-trivial I would think.

I have looked into this and am planning to go with a Cisco DCP3008 DOCSIS 3 modem and OBI100 VOIP box. This will support Google Voice which gives me FREE phone service (for an even Fatter Wallet), but no formal 911 support. I contacted my local police dept. (they had a 911 contact listed on the police website) and our city (and your's too most likely) has a direct 10 digit number for 911. With this I can program the OBI100 to call this number when I enter 911, and the only thing missing is that I will need to tell them my location verbally as the system won't be able to bring it up automatically. No different than a cell 911 call really, so not a big deal at least to me. And to top it off I will be putting my modem and OBI100 on a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) and with 500W hours of capacityt the system will run about 2 days (the Cisco 3008 draws ~5W and the OBI100 <2W).

I had comcast, had automatic billing setup with a cc that works fine. EVERY month, I was getting charged a $5 late fee, and then an $8 reconnect fee. Many times I would have to call to get the fees reversed, they did credit fees after being on hold for quite some time every month. I filed a complaint with the attorney general's office, then a top comcast exec called, acting all nice and saying the problem would definitely be resolved and would no re-occur just as all the others did. The next month, another late +reconnect fee. I contacted my cc company to reverse the charges, and comcast just added on more late fees and more reconnect fees. Finally I dropped their service as I could not deal with calling them every month anymore.

This company is by far the WORST in dealing with customers, they'll give you lip service all day long, but they are fraudulent in their claims, completely confused and charge WAAAY too much. They use tactics to get you signed up and jack up the bill for whatever reason they deem fit, legal or not. They will not disconnect your service when you want without having you sit on hold, but can do it at the worst times whenever they feel like it. They don't honor their advertised deals, one department has no clue what the other is doing or does, nor do they have any clue as to the current promotions. They also falsely advertise rates for 'existing customers' when in reality the exiting customer must have phone or tv, they won't tell you that until you've been on hold for an hour. When asked about this, they will say we are working on getting our website updated, yeah BS. I'm done! Comcast offers the fastest internet in my area, it's too bad they're a bunch of con-artists

HI Time for Comcast to go way of Ma Bell--except Ma Bell was a great organization. Comcast is too big-too dishonest. Double talk-always upping charges-small print experts. If Comcast could charge for changing channels they would,each time you hit the remote. Customer Service is out of country IE:Freddie in Phillipines or Rita in India--Ya Right. As 75 old man wish we could go back to days of FREE TV,roof antenna, those were the days, Free TV--no cable box,no silver bullets,no fees,No Bull. Just turn on& enjoy. No press 1 for this or 2 for that,please confirm name, address,tel. number,last 4 of social,whom am I talking to,are you the name on the account,what is the nature of your problem,or what are the issues your having today? I can help you with that-can I place you on hold for a minute? When rep.-returns you will be forwarded to someone who can help you. Of course you then will need to repeat this all over to Lorri in Singapore or who knows where. Was only calling to find out if office was open to return defectve remote. Your call is important to us. All The Best Radio Dave

Hi,I stumbled on you site,its great.I am a snowbird in florida, since last season I have wasted numerous hours,and trips to BB & Brandsmart trying to buy a voice & Internet modum.Its unbelievable the BS,one has to go thru,this would not be tolerated in Montreal ,Quebec, Canada, where I come from. There should be government inquiries, as to how Comcast operates,and Laws to force them to comply. I am still paying the $7 a month,until I can find out which Modum to buy,and where to get it.My feeling is that Comcast controls which Modums the public can buy,which are none so they can continue renting out modums at $7 a month.Here are another few models I have been told to get by Comcast,but naturally are not available.ARRIS TM-402P, UBEE DVM 3203B. Time wasted at least 2 hrs. Signed Philly33.

Please change the new member name to PHILLY33

posted in the wrong thread

I'm sitting here thankful for Timx'x narrative because it just now )March 2013)helped me to dodge the golden bullet of Comcast/Best Buy greed.This afternoon I received a Comcast package containing an Arris TM822 telephony/modem (docsis 3.0) to upgrade from my existing RCA Comcast leased telephone modem.Comcast's website has a page that lists Comcast approved modems being sold by Florida Best Buy stores. BUT Comcast only authorizes SOME Best Buy stores on the Florida east coast, in counties about 60 miles below where I live.I confirmed with my local Best Buy that they cannot offer these modems here because the local Comcast representative will not authorize their sale, so leasing them seemed to be the only option. I could drive down there and buy one, but if the local Comcast Rep wont authorize a local Best Buy sale of compatible equipment he sure as heck wont welcome one from don south.So, how can anyone win? The answer is that you can purchase and connect almost any regular modem to Comcast( my local Best Buy sales person did this with the Motorola Surfboard)****BUT you cant do it with the telephony modem which has a battery backup.****They wont allow it.

Here's where the greed goes on!There was no backup battery in the package Comcast sent me..It seems Comcast no longer sends an original back up battery with telephony modems.But the slick national Comcast team told me they have a "preferred third party vendor" who would be more than happy to sell me a backup battery for a "reasonable price" and redirected my call to another Comcast department somewhere overseas where the representative tried to blow a cloud of smoke at me to get me to spend $50.00 for the battery. Looks like comcast bean counters have turned one more necessary thing into a profit center item to boost the sagging sales income.I already found it for under $20.00.Time for payback.Oh yeah! I just bought a Roku and installed it on a wired internet connection streaming right onto my own tv screen.Then called the Comcast people and dropped all the premium crap they been charging me for.next is to reduce the tiers of pay service.yeah! payback is a bitch.

sandysot said:   I'm sitting here thankful for Timx'x narrative because it just now )March 2013)helped me to dodge the golden bullet of Comcast/Best Buy greed.This afternoon I received a Comcast package containing an Arris TM822 telephony/modem (docsis 3.0) to upgrade from my existing RCA Comcast leased telephone modem.Comcast's website has a page that lists Comcast approved modems being sold by Florida Best Buy stores. BUT Comcast only authorizes SOME Best Buy stores on the Florida east coast, in counties about 60 miles below where I live.I confirmed with my local Best Buy that they cannot offer these modems here because the local Comcast representative will not authorize their sale, so leasing them seemed to be the only option. I could drive down there and buy one, but if the local Comcast Rep wont authorize a local Best Buy sale of compatible equipment he sure as heck wont welcome one from don south.So, how can anyone win? The answer is that you can purchase and connect almost any regular modem to Comcast( my local Best Buy sales person did this with the Motorola Surfboard)****BUT you cant do it with the telephony modem which has a battery backup.****They wont allow it.

Here's where the greed goes on!There was no backup battery in the package Comcast sent me..It seems Comcast no longer sends an original back up battery with telephony modems.But the slick national Comcast team told me they have a "preferred third party vendor" who would be more than happy to sell me a backup battery for a "reasonable price" and redirected my call to another Comcast department somewhere overseas where the representative tried to blow a cloud of smoke at me to get me to spend $50.00 for the battery. Looks like comcast bean counters have turned one more necessary thing into a profit center item to boost the sagging sales income.I already found it for under $20.00.Time for payback.Oh yeah! I just bought a Roku and installed it on a wired internet connection streaming right onto my own tv screen.Then called the Comcast people and dropped all the premium crap they been charging me for.next is to reduce the tiers of pay service.yeah! payback is a bitch.

you are a sucker for having comcast phone in the 1st place

A battery would be the backup power supply to keep voice up in case of power failure.

I can relate to each and every post on this thread. I wish I read it BEFORE I had gone through much of the same experience but I don't think I would truly appreciate it as much as reading it AFTER THE FACT. So here I am with a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 Modem that works great (doubled the download speed I got from the "rented one") but without any telephone landline. So do I want to go through as SANDYSOT? ... after spending about 6 hours on this and finally finding this site, I am exhausted. At this point, I'm stuck with the rental fee, a blazing fast newq modem, no dial tone, and the thought of jumping through the friggin' Comcast hoops of obstacles. Until you have gone through this "journey through hell" with Comcast, can one appreciate the expressions of frustration of all those who posted before me. "Misery appreciates company"

hblee said:   Bunch of confusing gobbledygook
Um... what the heck are you talking about? You said you were exhausted, so maybe that explains why your post makes no sense. Seriously, if you were trying to make a point, I don't think anyone gets it. You got a new modem, but yet you're still stuck renting the old one? Dial tone? Huh?

yoregano said:   hblee said:   Bunch of confusing gobbledygook
Um... what the heck are you talking about? You said you were exhausted, so maybe that explains why your post makes no sense. Seriously, if you were trying to make a point, I don't think anyone gets it. You got a new modem, but yet you're still stuck renting the old one? Dial tone? Huh?

these idiots on this post are signing up for triple play and trying to buy a modem locally, they are not telling the retailer that they are on triple play and just asking for a comcast modem, then blaming the retailer for not reading their minds.

you can purchase a wide variety of comcast approved modems for broadband internet access, they will not have built in VOIP for triple play, stop blaming best buy and comcast for your failure. like complaining that someone doesn't know your shoe size isn't it?

triple play is a rip off

I want to use really bad words but I won't. I hate Comcast from the bottom of my toes to the top of the highest hair on my head! They are IMPOSSIBLE and if I could blow them off the face of the earth I would. (And I am a woman.) I have had COUNTLESS difficulties with Comcast and am currently in the midst of one. I once switched to AT&T (only other option in my town) and they're no better. If I were single I would completely do away with television and have internet only and figure out some way to use some other service, but I have a sports-watching husband and that isn't an option.

What's wrong with this company? Why can't they get their act together? Even the government isn't as hard to deal with as Comcast and that's not a high bar.
Thank you for letting me blow off steam!!
Arrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!

They are rediculous. Two years after just moving up here to Memphis I ordered Comcast internet and basic tv. I told them I had three rooms that I wanted tv, but just basic. I had my own modem. I had a Motorola Surfboard and Ubee. The Ubee was a little bit newer and a lot more compact so I opted to use that and keep my Surfboard in case something went wrong with the Ubee. The tech came and installed cabling and set everything up, but he wasn't getting the frequency signal needed for the internet inside the house and he said it was like at the fiber up on the pole and other techs had to work on that. I had to give him the installation fee money.

It took a week before they fixed cable line and when they did the tv stopped working in my bedroom and sons room. I called back and they said I would have to pay a fee for each additional room for installation even though they screwed it up whenever they did what they did outside the house. I was mad, but I also needed my modem provisioned so I worked with her on that over the phone and go my modem online. Later that week I went outside and found were the lines from inside the house were connected to a splitter and he disconnected them turning off TV in other rooms. I fixed that and all was good until they turned everything off two weeks later. I called because it was out and they said it was because I didn't give them the installation fee. I told her I did she said the computer told her different. We argued for a while. I finally gave up and called back later that day and got someone else. They said the same thing that it didn't show me as paid in the computer. She tried to call and talk to the tech, but he was unavailable. She called me back later and said she had gotten in touch with the tech and he had "forgotten" to turn in the money I have him.

After this every money they would put something on my bill and I'd have to spend an hour on the phone trying to get them to fix it. Finally I told them just cancel it. They did and then sent me a bill for my cable modem, because I did not turn in my modem to them that was never theirs in the first place. I still haven't paid. I refuse and it shows up on my credit report.

Don't get voice through Comcast and everything will be simplier + better.

I was so happy to get Verizon out of my life, when I switched to Comcast.So they're probably all dreadful. I want these local providers to offer Residential, and not just Business service. None of the big providers are capable of handling the customer support they have expanded into.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014