Free Kindle Books - Warning!

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
If you've been getting the "free" kindle books, you'll want to read this.

I've been collecting lots of these free kindle books including from This post. I was checking my credit card bill tonight and found a charge for $46.74. I called and it was for this book. They refunded the charge and deleted the book, but I was lucky to catch it.

I'll be watching for these from now on - hope this helps someone else.

Member Summary

kshowtime said:   If you've been getting the "free" kindle books, you'll want to read this.

I've been collecting lots of these free kindle books including from This post. I was checking my credit card bill tonight and found a charge for $46.74. I called and it was for this book. They refunded the charge and deleted the book, but I was lucky to catch it.

I'll be watching for these from now on - hope this helps someone else.

Thanks.
I used coupon code "i'm gonna get you sucka" and saved 1%!!
Super hot deal.

Thanks for the heads up! That's why I always pay attention to the order confirmation emails (and save them).

Your order history on Amazon will reflect the $0.00 price, so no need to save emails. Anything above that, you are on the hook since the purchase price is clearly reflected when you buy it (even if it's $0.00).

Never had any issues with Amazon - they have one of the best customer service teams

Amazon almost always sides with buyer, so I don't think this should be a problem. And zero is zero, so you were probably charged for something else, not the $0 book.

Happened to me several times. Lucky for me, I check my emails and call them if I notice a charge on a free book.

This is pretty easy to do if you don't pay attention to what you're buying. I've almost done it myself. Now I double and triple check that the book is actually free and not a Prime rental or something that was once free and now costs $46 dollars.

I've been charged once for a "free" book. I called Amazon and they gave me a credit for the charges. I also review all my email confirms for the free books to make sure that I don't get charged.

That's because the price of the book changed between when the item was free and when you purchased it. You have to read the price to make sure it is still $0 before clicking to buy.

I've had it happen where a price changed significantly on a non-Amazon item shipped by Amazon between the time I hit the button to confirm a purchase and when the item shipped. The policy is you're not charged until the item ships, and it charges at the current price. This seems less likely to be a problem for automatic delivery though.

Deserves a keep it current bump.

I got a douped a couple of times. When the post the free book link. It's free for prime memeber, but not if your not prime. So if you see 0.00 and get excited and click the 1 click buy, you will get charged.

Just keep flaging the posts when people post them as free for prime. The moderators will deal with them.

You definitely need to double check that the books are free before you click "Buy now". A lot of them are only free to borrow through Amazon Prime and also Amazon changes prices on items quite often.

Yes, before buying you need to verify it's free. You also need to realize that many of the free books posted are pieces of garbage made "free" by the author / publisher for the sole purpose of getting traction, whereby they then raise the price to make money because they are now able to show lots of downloads for their piece of garbage.

I have added a virtual credit card with $1 limit to Amazon account. Hence I never get charged for free books. Have been that way for more than 2 years.

Zero7 said:   I have added a virtual credit card with $1 limit to Amazon account. Hence I never get charged for free books. Have been that way for more than 2 years.

Bump Bump! I too use a CitiBank VAN (virtual account number) with a $1 limit.

I've been collecting free kindle books very consistently since I got my kindle fire, but I have not read any... just wanted to get free stuff. My enthusiasm lessened when I realized that I'll probably never read any of these books from mostly uknown authors and since I was not selective, I was wasting a few minutes of my day and energy. Plus (I might get red) My concern is that it is hard to judge the book by its kindle cover and since it is so cheap to publish digitally, almost anyone can publish... both aspiring (1) legitimate authors and (2) groups/people with agendas. I respect the first but the second makes me cringe of the possibility of them using this medium as a cheap and easy tool for propaganda.

Also sometimes the books are free to Prime members only.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014