Best Phone Option

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Currently I have a tmobile g2 google phone with a grandfathered plan with low weekday minutes and an added data plan, for which I pay around 60.00 a month. My contract expires in November.

I now need more phone time and want to look into a better plan. Tmobiles data and phone plan would run me 80.00 a month. I am wondering if I could get a better deal. I would like to keep my phone if possible. I am pretty sure I can keep my phone number.

Any suggestions?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
For Page Plus, you don't have to use Page Plus phones. You can use any VZW (non-prepaid) phone. You can also use any C... (more)

NoMoneyInMyWallet (Jun. 25, 2012 @ 8:11p) |

i use a pay as you go phine for only $45 per month with unlimited everything.. from best buy

bcoolninja (Jun. 25, 2012 @ 9:41p) |

There are several MVNO prepaid plans put there. Take your pick: http://wontek.com/compare

suderduperloo00p (Jun. 26, 2012 @ 11:18a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

yes

get a cheap phone, pay $100 for a year of service

done

lordoffire said:   get a cheap phone, pay $100 for a year of service

done

Can you recommend a carrier for this. Specifics are useful.

Leslie said:   lordoffire said:   get a cheap phone, pay $100 for a year of service

done

I got a cheap TracFone. By no means is it for anything other than making phone calls (which is what the name implies).

400 mins for 1 year for $100, use with promo codes and double-mins-for-life it's easily double that amount.

You asked for the best phone plan, and you cannot get much cheaper than that.

lordoffire said:   Leslie said:   lordoffire said:   get a cheap phone, pay $100 for a year of service

done

I got a cheap TracFone. By no means is it for anything other than making phone calls (which is what the name implies).

400 mins for 1 year for $100, use with promo codes and double-mins-for-life it's easily double that amount.

2000 min for $80/ year on pagepluscellular. uses verizon network.

miserly said:   2000 min for $80/ year on pagepluscellular. uses verizon network.
cheapest phone is $80?

lordoffire said:   I got a cheap TracFone. By no means is it for anything other than making phone calls (which is what the name implies).

That's not even close to a cheap plan.

T-Mobile PAYG isn't cheap by any means, but it's cheaper than your "cheap" plan without jumping through any hoops and doesn't require using a proprietary phone.

$100 / 1000 minutes for 1 year. Thereafter, it only takes $10 to roll over all minutes for another year.

And as someone previously posted ... $80 / 2000 minutes for 1 year on Page Plus.

I think the OP is looking for something with talk and data. Most likely a monthly no-contract plan.

lordoffire said:   miserly said:   2000 min for $80/ year on pagepluscellular. uses verizon network.cheapest phone is $80?Cheapest phone is a "recycled" VZW ex-contract phone. Or a new Pixi Plus for $35.

miserly said:   lordoffire said:   Leslie said:   lordoffire said:   get a cheap phone, pay $100 for a year of service

done

2000 min for $80/ year on pagepluscellular. uses verizon network.

PagePlus ROCKS! Beats all others! Highly recommend it.

Jaydeep

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   And as someone previously posted ... $80 / 2000 minutes for 1 year on Page Plus.
"doesn't require using a proprietary phone"

so that does not?

As the OP did not mention exactly what plan he or she was looking at, I am going to have to guess that the $80 plan was T-Mobile's individual plan for unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 2gb of data. If this is correct, then the obvious alternative would be T-Mobile's own prepaid $60 plan. Another choice would be Straight Talk's $45 a month "unlimited" plan. The yearly plans mentioned above are for light talkers and does not appear to match what you are looking for.

FunnyStuff said:   As the OP did not mention exactly what plan he or she was looking at, I am going to have to guess that the $80 plan was T-Mobile's individual plan for unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 2gb of data. If this is correct, then the obvious alternative would be T-Mobile's own prepaid $60 plan. Another choice would be Straight Talk's $45 a month "unlimited" plan. The yearly plans mentioned above are for light talkers and does not appear to match what you are looking for.

That is correct - the 80.00 is what they offered me - and I am now considering the 60 or 45 plan - any experience with either of these? I'm assuming I could keep my current T-Mobile phone and number? Would I be able to get out of my contract before November? (I am replying on my husband's account)

Get a cheap phone and get a pay monthly contract, will save you so much money and it does what a phone is built for. And will probably last longer than your original phone

Doesn't anyone read before they post? He wants to keep his phone. I am also a G2 user who's contract is ending. I am also looking at various ways to keep using my G2. Before I can suggest anything to the OP I would need to know how many peak minutes he needs. If I could get my elderly father to stop calling my T-Mobile number and call Google Voice, I am around wifi enough to need the $30 T-Mobile plan(100 min + 5g data) and use a Groove IP type calling service. May look at Straight Talk GSM as 4g is not a huge benefit to me. I can't honestly see myself carrying one of those $9.95 specials and still having my clients keep a straight face.

lordoffire said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   And as someone previously posted ... $80 / 2000 minutes for 1 year on Page Plus."doesn't require using a proprietary phone"

so that does not?
The proprietary phone reference was under T-Mobile, not Page Plus.

lordoffire said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   And as someone previously posted ... $80 / 2000 minutes for 1 year on Page Plus.
"doesn't require using a proprietary phone"

so that does not?

no

to keep your phone, you need to stay on T-Mobile network.

i would recommend WalMart family mobile.

data is free right now, but it will eventually go back to $40/gig, but that gig is shared AND rollsover.

no contract, number ports, just go to a WalMart and buy the $25 sim starter pack.

$45 per month, additional lines are $25/mo.

that said, page plus using verizon is better and more reliable. i use the $55.

Straight Talk is 45 month "unlimited" talk and data - and will work for your phone and keep your number (also T-Mobile is pretty good at giving you the unlock code to their phones, tell them you are going overseas etc)

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   lordoffire said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   And as someone previously posted ... $80 / 2000 minutes for 1 year on Page Plus."doesn't require using a proprietary phone"

so that does not?

in other words, yes, for that price you have to use their phones

lordoffire said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   lordoffire said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   And as someone previously posted ... $80 / 2000 minutes for 1 year on Page Plus."doesn't require using a proprietary phone"

so that does not?
Not for T-Mobile; you can use an unlocked GSM phone for voice (data is YMMV). Obviously, it has to have the correct "US" bands.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   lordoffire said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   lordoffire said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   And as someone previously posted ... $80 / 2000 minutes for 1 year on Page Plus."doesn't require using a proprietary phone"

so that does not?
Not for T-Mobile; you can use an unlocked GSM phone for voice (data is YMMV). Obviously, it has to have the correct "US" bands.

we're not talking about T-Mobile

lordoffire said:   we're not talking about T-MobileFor Page Plus, you don't have to use Page Plus phones. You can use any VZW (non-prepaid) phone. You can also use any CDMA phone that is flashed to use on VZW.

i use a pay as you go phine for only $45 per month with unlimited everything.. from best buy

There are several MVNO prepaid plans put there. Take your pick: http://wontek.com/compare

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014