Best deal on propane tank for gas grill?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Fellow Fatwalleters:

Preface: I just got a good deal on a Kenmore gas grill, but knew I had to pay extra for a cover and gas tank. I took advantage of another Sears sale yesterday to get the cover, but neglected to get the gas tank, because I didn't realize they were charging $50 for a new tank. (I thought it was always $20, but that's for an exchange; you basically have to pay a $30 deposit on the tank.) I should have bought the tank then, but that's beside the point.

My Questions: What is the best place to go to get a propane tank? Does it matter what brand of tank you initially buy? (E.g., do you have to buy Blue Rhino?) Are there ever any good deals on propane tanks?

Assuming all places charge about the same, the best I can do right now is take advantage of some other coupons I have (e.g., $10 off of $25 in lawn and garden at Sears). I'm also trying to grab an empty one off Freecycle to trade in, so hopefully that pans out.

Thanks!

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

See if you can find a propane refiller station near you. If so go to costco or other seller and buy a new dry tank and have it filled.

The blue rhino and other pre-filled tanks cost a lot more than getting your own tank refilled.

Marlin1975 said:   See if you can find a propane refiller station near you. If so go to costco or other seller and buy a new dry tank and have it filled.

The blue rhino and other pre-filled tanks cost a lot more than getting your own tank refilled.

All of the propane filling companies around my area have switched selling you a pre-filled tank like blue rhino...

Zuke76 said:   Marlin1975 said:   See if you can find a propane refiller station near you. If so go to costco or other seller and buy a new dry tank and have it filled.

All of the propane filling companies around my area have switched selling you a pre-filled tank like blue rhino...

Look outside your area.

I bought a tank at costco and refill it at uhaul. in my area the gas stations with uhaul all have propane.

Suburban Propane has a great deal on refilling propane tanks. Every Thursday they fill tanks for half price (at least at my nearby location). And they fill them up with 20 lbs., not 15 or 17 pounds like Blue Rhino or Amerigas and those other exchange crooks. If I have a 20 lb. tank, I want 20 pounds of propane, not a tank that's partially filled. I don't know what Suburban charges for a new tank, but I bet it is competitive.

I get all of my propane needs at Strickland Propane.

qcumber98 said:   I get all of my propane needs at Strickland Propane.
they even had some fresh emu on sale last week

You could always place an ad in Craigslist that you are willing to pay $2 or $3 for a used LP gas tank then exchange it for a new filled tank at Blue Rino!

I looked on Craigslist and people were charging $10 or more for an empty propane tank.

*However* I posted on Freecycle and received four offers for propane tanks. I ended up picking up a couple of them, one of which was mostly full and the other maybe a quarter full. Hurray for Freecycle!

Once you have your tank, BJ's or Costco have decent prices for refilling. Much lower than the Blue Rhino jokers.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014