• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
jplind said:   $21 off for the next 3 months, $18 off for 9 months after that, total savings $225.00. Thank you Viacom. I hate MTV anyways.

When I first called I was given option of just $5/mo for three months and a movie channel for 6 months. I told them I didn't care for that offer and was transferred to retention department. Retention department offered $10/mo. for 12 months, I declined that too and ended up with your offer of $5/month + $10 month + my DVR service for 3 months and then after that $10 month + my DVR service for the remaining 9 months.

Without this thread I probably would've just waited for them to hopefully bring my channels back... thanks OP.

p.s. I have the cheapest package they offer, but I've also been with them since '97.

skarloey said:   We are only 6 months into our 2-yr contract and I just got a pay cut at work. I wonder if this would be an opportunity to get out of my contract.

Absolutely not! Why would how much you bring home have anything to do with your contract with DirecTV?

They gave me a $5 bill credit plus free Encore channels up to the end of the month.

Speaking to DirecTV right now, I'm being offered $10/month credit for the next 12 months; free Showtime for 6 months; or free NFL Sunday Ticket for 2012 season (the basic one, not the MAX package) but also requires a one year contract.
I am choosing $10 credit for a year.

Just got off the phone with Directv. They offered a $10 credit for the next 6 months, $20 off the movie channels for the next 6 months, and NFL Sunday Ticket for $20 a month. I wasn't even upset with them just was voicing the displeasure with Viacom over this dispute and how it affects the consumer. Give them a call!!!

I wish they would unbundle cable and satellite so we didn't have to pay for what we never watch. I can do without Viacom and Disney both and my TiVo gives better off air reception than either cable or satellite and I can get Austin to boot. That and internet streaming is why I ditched DTV after 16 years last year.

keiserkj said:   On the phone with them now. CS is telling me they are giving everyone Encore for free to "take the heat off losing the channels". Told her I wasn't interested in Encore and I'm now on hold waiting for Billing department.

Update: Billing says at this time they are not offering anything above free Encore and that the situation should be resolved "shortly". Oh well...was worth a shot.

Same here. They told me a couple days so I will wait till this weekend and if it's not resolved, I will call back firmly. I've been with them for well over 10 years and pay over $160/month for everything. I'm ticked off at losing these channels and seeing more of "Brazilian Butts" and other stupid info'mercial channels. I'm seriously thinking of going back to antenna and net channels.

ive only been a customer for 6 months. the first prick i talked to try to offer me a one time $5 credit, i quickly told him thats not going to cut it. i asked for a supervisor, sat on hold for 10 minutes then my call got disconnected. when i called back, even madder now, i was met with a much nicer man who tried to calm me down a lot quicker and without even going to a supervisor i got $10 a month off for 3 months, free hbo and starz for 6 months, and some sports package for a month. they tell me there certain there going to get the channels back, if in 3 months they dont have them back you can bet ill be calling back again!

I only got $25 off for one month...

Simple 5-minute call. Got $10 off for 3 months, Encore for 3 months, Showtime for 2 months. Thanks for the tip!

I got $5 off for 3 months, $10 off for 12 months, $150 statement credit (one time) and stars and shotime for 6 months., Have been a customer since 99.

Thank you OP this was amazing

Just got off the phone with cancelations dept. they gave me $30 dollars off my bill for a year free Showtime plus starts for 12 months!!!! Over 360 bucks in savings not counting the free movie channels!

mathfaster said:   jonny4 said:   MumzOf2 said:   Why is DirectTV getting rid of channels? I want to get rid of Comcast and was
thinking on getting Direct or Dish....but now
....Viacom has also removed streaming content this afternoon after DirecTV started telling customers they could watch online.

That was a smart move. Lose ALL your streaming customers. Even for those who do not subscribe to DirectTV.

"Viacom Blocks Online Content For All to Spite DirecTV"

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Viacom-Blocks-Online-Content-...

I watch Com Central a lot but after following this story and seeing what Viacom is doing I am glad that DTV stood up and said they are not going to be forced into doing this. My bill is high enough now.

As having worked for DTV recently I can tell you that the offers you get are based on how long you have been a customer plus your payment history. If you are new, you wont get as many offers. If you have frequent late payments, you wont get the good offers.

I can also tell you to listen to the disclosures on all offers/upgrades because they will cost you in the end, especially if you don't call in to cancel the "free" stuff when the offer ends. Yes, you have to call in and cancel it or they will bill you. They don't just remove the services once the free offers expire.

I can also tell you that while DTV is trying to make Viacom out to be the bad guys, they're not. In Feb DTV just increased their prices, moved certain channels (sprout, cloo, etc.) to higher base packages so you had to upgrade your package just to keep those single channels. They increased all of their fees in Feb as well (dvr fee, receiver fee). DTV is paying the cheapest price to Viacom out of all of the other TV providers. They have not had a contract change in over 7 years. So, why is Viacom being blamed? It's not fair to the other providers to have to pay more than DTV. && I don't blame Viacom for removing the free online streaming. Yes, they could probably do like HBOGo does and require you to enter your provider and account # to access the videos, but they are right. The whole reason for removing service from DTV is to make pricing fair.

I have DTV until today. I am switching to Comcast who honestly offers everything DTV offers and more aside from NFL Sunday Ticket . But, with Comcast, you get like 5 sports channels to watch the games plus espn3d.com access and other ways to watch the games. The price with Comcast for me was $50/month cheaper AFTER the promotional period than what I was paying for DTV WITH promotions. I am paying DTV $160 per month for my TV service, 4 bedrooms, 2 HDDVR's, 2 SD receivers and free showime/stars/cinimax & paying for HBO. With Comcast I get all channels available, Hbo, Stars, Showtime, Cinemax, 2 HDDVR's, 2HD receivers PLUS my internet for $160 for the first 6 months then $180 after that. My internet alone is $50/month. So I'm saving money plus Comcast has more free movies/series on on demand than DTV does so I can possibly turn off my Netflix.

So, as someone who has worked on the inside and know how all this actually works and how they are actually screwing people over...I am glad to switch and go elsewhere contract or not. Because if and when this viacom issue is resolved it will happen again with another channel provider and don't be surprised when the issue is resolved, that you bill hikes again. DTV has the money to pay what Viacom is rightfully asking without increasing our bill bu they don't want to do that because they are greedy.

I just called Directv about 10 mins. ago - 1:20 pm EST re: Encore offer to replace lost Viacom channels.

I stated to them I already receive Encore in my package and they offered me 3 mths. of Showtime instead - channels 545 through 558.

I asked them if Viacom settles b4 the 3 months, will they remove Showtime and they stated no - I'll keep receiving Showtime until Oct. 17th.

DirecTV: 800-531-5000

`makes sense in what you're saying Saving change - the offers depends on your longevity with DirecTV. Thx. for the 411.

I think their new defense is to just not answer the phone. I clicked 0 to speak to a rep and it's now been ringing for 19 minutes with no answer. I've been a customer since 98 but am leaning towards switching at this point.

First call got Free Showtime for 3 months and $5 credit for 2 months, Second call they added free DVR Service $8 credit for the next 6 months. I still want my channels back though!

Tried the 800-531-5000, 0 route, spoke with someone who was only able to offer $10/month for 3 months. He transferred me to retentions after I mentioned that I read of other good deals online - he said they would have the power to offer better deals (after first questioning why it would make sense to offer year-long deals for just 17 channels).

Retentions was able to offer me $10/month for 2 months and $20 off my package (Choice Extra) for 12 months and free DVR service ($8) for 12 months. So $20 + $28*12 = $356, I'm pleased. I already have free HD for life so the end result is (after the first two months) a regular monthly bill of $48.99 for Choice Extra Classic, 1 DVR, and HD. There was no contract, but note that I am just about at the end of my original 2 year contract (if it's not over already it's probably within the next week), so that might have been the primary factor here.

Just spoke with Directv and was calm and cool throughour the call; 1st offer was $5 a month for 3 months. 2nd offer within 2 mins was $10 a month for 3 months. Asked to speak to supervisor; Got $20 off for 3 months, free HD access for 6 months and $10.00 off for 9 more months. Very fair and reasonable, in my opinion.

i call and ask if i can get i discunt, for the channels lost, they told me they dont offer nothing until the return of the channels and see what many day didnt havent, so the main thing i am pretty mad at them because my contract will ended in sept, but when i move they send a hd box and my boyfriend signs a paper ti the tech, i was working and automatically renew my 2 year contract, how they can do that if even my boyfriend is not the authorized to do changes its only in my name.. i hate directv... someone knows where i can make a complaint or something.

*Showtime, Starz & Encore for 12 months
*$10 HD Charge waived for 6 months
*$5 Credit for 3 months
*$20 off monthly charge for 12 months
They started out by offering the door prize from a crappy cristmas party...I just kept telling them that they could do better. I spoke to 2 reps from 2 different departments who were both actually pretty cool and pleasant about the whole thing considering they are probably dealing with their fair share of disgruntled customers.
Jman in St Louis

i call and ask if i can get i discunt, for the channels lost, they told me they dont offer nothing until the return of the channels and see what many day didnt havent, so the main thing i am pretty mad at them because my contract will ended in sept, but when i move they send a hd box and my boyfriend signs a paper ti the tech, i was working and automatically renew my 2 year contract, how they can do that if even my boyfriend is not the authorized to do changes its only in my name.. i hate directv... someone knows where i can make a complaint or something.

Finally got through when I went the retentions route. I didn't press too hard and got $10 off for 3 months, $40 instant credit, and Showtime (actually asked for this) for 6 months. Nothing spectacular but a few bucks.

I got $20 off for 12 months, $40 instant credit, NFL Sunday Ticket For Free, Starz Free for 6 months. This all happened when I called the back-door DTV customer service number. When you are nice to people apparently they are nice to you LOL. I would suggest calling and asking for Solomon he has the power to hook you up.

eliluna said:   i call and ask if i can get i discunt, for the channels lost, they told me they dont offer nothing until the return of the channels and see what many day didnt havent, so the main thing i am pretty mad at them because my contract will ended in sept, but when i move they send a hd box and my boyfriend signs a paper ti the tech, i was working and automatically renew my 2 year contract, how they can do that if even my boyfriend is not the authorized to do changes its only in my name.. i hate directv... someone knows where i can make a complaint or something.

If your boyfriend is not authorized on the account, he can not sign or agree to any contract extensions. Techs do not care about this, they just care about doing their job and leaving. Call DTV, advise them your BF signed the contract agreement when you weren't there and you do not agree to it. Tell them you do not want the contract agreement, you will have to return the hd box to get out of the contract extension though. I worked for DTV earlier this year- that's how I know all this

savingchange said:   eliluna said:   i call and ask if i can get i discunt, for the channels lost, they told me they dont offer nothing until the return of the channels and see what many day didnt havent, so the main thing i am pretty mad at them because my contract will ended in sept, but when i move they send a hd box and my boyfriend signs a paper ti the tech, i was working and automatically renew my 2 year contract, how they can do that if even my boyfriend is not the authorized to do changes its only in my name.. i hate directv... someone knows where i can make a complaint or something.

If your boyfriend is not authorized on the account, he can not sign or agree to any contract extensions. Techs do not care about this, they just care about doing their job and leaving. Call DTV, advise them your BF signed the contract agreement when you weren't there and you do not agree to it. Tell them you do not want the contract agreement, you will have to return the hd box to get out of the contract extension though. I worked for DTV earlier this year- that's how I know all this

Do you know if they offer any cash if I return them HD DVR's that are leased and in collections?

DTV customer for more than 5 years, received $10 off per month for 3 months, plus 6 months of Showtime.

theshocka said:   I got $20 off for 12 months, $40 instant credit, NFL Sunday Ticket For Free, Starz Free for 6 months. This all happened when I called the back-door DTV customer service number. When you are nice to people apparently they are nice to you LOL. I would suggest calling and asking for Solomon he has the power to hook you up.

Told them my neighbor received this offer, and the guy matched it, except $20 off for 6 months! Thanks!

Called and rec'd $10 off for 1 year and Starz for 1 year

Ok, I already have all the pay stations, so I used that to say I am basically getting nothing. Also told them I was going to order NFL ticket, but this was holding me up. After 3 transfers, and two offers of $10 off for 3 months, I was offered the Ticket for free. I'm ok with that because I wanted the ticket anyway.

Not done yet. Decided to push a little, and also got the new HMC DVR for $99. She said they were going for $399. Not sure if I got a deal there, but I'm happy with it.

Got $30 off my bill for 6 months. Actually just got my OTA antenna setup on my balcony, only $35 at Fry's and pulling in 70 stations from LA, Palm Springs, and Orange County here in Northern San Diego, will likely just switch off Directv in 6 months unless they can get their pricing way down (unlikely). Here is the antenna I bought, can't give it enough praise: http://www.frys.com/product/5834693

Just a heads up, if you had Sunday Ticket last year make sure you call and cancel ASAP or they will auto bill you and you will NEVER get a refund if you cancel after the season starts. You have been warned.

I called and got $10 off for three months. Probably since I've only been with DirecTV for three months! It's good enough for me. It's not like I've been without the channels for all that time. I mean, supposedly, the whole reason this is happening is to save us money in the long run, so why try to take them for everything now? Twenty million people all demanding a fortune in credits... we WILL end up paying for that down the road.

I have the Choice Ultimate and am about a year into the contract. Called 7/15 and was offered $10 off for 2 months. I said I'd heard some people are getting better deals. So the guys I was on the phone with said he could do $10 off for 3 months and gave me a choice of 6 months free Showtime or Starz channels

I was lazy and sent them email to ask what is happening. I have been a customer for more than 13 years, I think so we shall see what is offered, if anything.

Green for OP. $30 credit, Showtime and Encore free for 6 mths.

Regards.

12+ year customer - only got $10 credit (yes, ONE month) and had to push for it...

rsuaver said:   12+ year customer - only got $10 credit (yes, ONE month) and had to push for it...Are you in contract? If not, or even if so, it seems like you need to be calling them more often, and maybe have a plan to walk if they can't move some more.

I just called and got $10 off for the next 6 months. It still doesn't make up for not having Workaholics! http://i.imgur.com/jn1Ah.jpg

Just a bit of interesting math (they only offered me $5 credit for the hassle):

DirecTV Claims that Viacom wants to boost the price by $1B, or a 30% increase from their current price.

This means that DirecTV was paying roughly $3B for the Viacom package. Divide this by their 20m customers, you get $150/yr/customer, or $12.50 per customer per month. If they offer anything less than $12.50 per month to you, they are pocketing the extra money that they are no longer paying Viacom. Anybody who got only $5 is now paying an extra $7.50/month (plus whatever markup DirecTV was already earning for those stations).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014