• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Back 2010 someone posted that HD would no longer accept Lowes 10% coupons.
I've never heard or experienced this until today.

I went into HD to purchase a kitchen faucet. Whipped out my coupon and the cashier says they no longer honor competitors coupons.
I was taken aback. WHAT? Since when?

She calls the MOD to verify and he confirmed they did not.
I asked to speak to the MOD and he tells me they no longer accept printouts, faxes or copies.
The only ones they are accepting are orginal looking (laminated?) coupon cards from Lowes.
So my (legit mind you) 10% Lowes mover's special I got via email was not honored at Home Depot tonight.
Guy says it came from corporate though that may or may not be true.

Cashier hinted that there has been a lot of funny business (fraud?) with the coupons.
I still dont understand how a competitor's coupon can be deemed fraudulent.
Its not like grocery store coupons where they turn them in for the face value.
They idea is to get customers to spend their money at HD rather than Lowes.

Anyway, are you guys getting the same story as well?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I use the Lowes coupon all the time and I was told they wont take the printed, faxes or photo copied coupons. They have ... (more)

auntieapple (Aug. 24, 2012 @ 9:41p) |

i once had a $5 off Ace Hardware coupon that was in a magazine.. (i even brought the magazine with me).. so i went to Ho... (more)

macroman (Aug. 28, 2012 @ 9:52a) |

i didnt know the Lowes also took competitors....

The Home Depot policy is kinda annoying because it doesn't seem like it'... (more)

tanner12oz (Aug. 28, 2012 @ 10:09a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

KYBOSH said:   Cashier hinted that there has been a lot of funny business (fraud?) with the coupons.
I still dont understand how a competitor's coupon can be deemed fraudulent.

some who shops there on a frequent basis, making photocopies of the same ones to use them over and over?

Probably because it's not THEIR coupon?

They're not actually getting a "new" customer by accepting competitor's coupons, because you clearly didn't learn about them by picking up a Lowes coupon.

The whole point of coupons is to get new customers in the store.

I'm not a big fan of coupons because often you're not actually going to get the best deal possible, because the stores are going to factor those coupons into their pricing models.

I much prefer stores that are on the up and up about their prices instead of running "deals" and playing games with their pricing.

If Home Depot is not running a similar deal, why do you think it would be in their best interest to discount the merchandise? Odds are their competitors are selling it for 10% more and then knocking 10% off at the register with the "coupons"

You have demonstrated a clear misunderstanding for the motives behind accepting competitor's coupons.

I went by my nearby Home Depot about a week ago with a $10 off $50 Lowe's coupon and they wouldn't take it. The cashier told me that they can only accept the Lowe's coupons that don't have barcodes. Given that I think every Lowe's coupon has a barcode that didn't quite make sense to me, but she insisted that there were Lowe's coupons without barcodes.

I think the point she was trying to get at was that Lowe's tracks their own coupons and only allows a given coupon to be used once, whereas Home Depot does not track Lowe's coupons and that same coupon could be used over and over again.

Either way, that still kind of defeats the purpose of accepting competitor's coupons. As I pointed out to her, I could drive over to Lowe's and purchase essentially the same items for the same prices and Lowe's would accept the coupon just fine. And so that's what I ended up doing.

Op did you still make the purhase?

Coincidentally I drove past a Home Depot last night and they had HUGE signs (essentially) stating that HD matches all competitor's prices and has the lowest prices. Before I go to use my next 10% mover's coupon I'm going to take a photo on my phone. If they won't accept Lowe's coupons they are not honoring their low price/match guarantee.

rsmo2222 said:   Coincidentally I drove past a Home Depot last night and they had HUGE signs (essentially) stating that HD matches all competitor's prices and has the lowest prices. Before I go to use my next 10% mover's coupon I'm going to take a photo on my phone. If they won't accept Lowe's coupons they are not honoring their low price/match guarantee.

.. And that's bait and switch! Illegal!

That has been the case for a while here in VA. They only take the retail Lowes printed ones (post office or from instore).
The clerk who rang me up this weekend said her store may stop taking even the "retail" printed ones as well.

Not a big deal, will just drive another 4 miles and shop at Lowes.

Marlin1975 said:   That has been the case for a while here in VA. They only take the retail Lowes printed ones (post office or from instore).
The clerk who rang me up this weekend said her store may stop taking even the "retail" printed ones as well.

Not a big deal, will just drive another 4 miles and shop at Lowes.

Its been that way where I am at for a couple of years now as well. Called corporate office and they confirmed that they changed their policies on coupons (~ year ago.) Where I am now, we have HD, Lowe's, and Menard's. Not on sale prices tend to be lowest in that order (including the 5% discount for having a Lowe's card), but when sales are in progress @ Menard's, if you need what they have on sale, their prices are pretty decent. Downside to Menard's is that they have a lot of their sales using their rebates, which are only usable as store credits in their stores.

rsmo2222 said:   Coincidentally I drove past a Home Depot last night and they had HUGE signs (essentially) stating that HD matches all competitor's prices and has the lowest prices. Before I go to use my next 10% mover's coupon I'm going to take a photo on my phone. If they won't accept Lowe's coupons they are not honoring their low price/match guarantee.

Not defending Home Depot but matching a price and matching a coupon are two different things. A price match is matching the advertised price or in-store price of one item. A coupon lowers the cost by taking for example 10% off the final cost of an order. A rebate reduces the cost usually via mail after the sale. Home Depot is advertising a price match, not advertising that they accept coupons or rebates of competitors. This concept has been a part of retail for a long time.

Same experience here at Indy about a month ago, no more printed out coupon accepted.

Makes sense,they have never taken the printed ones around here anyway, they can't tell if it was already used and/or photocopied.

It seems that these stores are getting wise to the 10% moving coupon situation, whereby many people are getting these coupons that don't qualify for them. Surprising that it's taken this long.

Zuke76 said:   Op did you still make the purhase?

Yeah, I was kinda stuck.
My mother's kitchen faucet had sprung a leak around 9pm.
On my way over there I stopped by my local HD to buy a replacement.
Coupon would have saved me $10.

Here is what is happening: Anybody can go to the post office and get a mover's packet and inside a 10% Lowes coupon is inside. Many post offices put them out for you to grab on your own, so people grab 20 of them at a time and abuse the coupons for moving. You can buy them on eBay even though they are given out for free. They are or were also sold on Amazon for a while by individuals. Contractors would come in every day with a new movers coupon to use. The new policy for Home Depot has been in effect in the Cleveland area for almost a year now and it is only as a result of abuse by contractors that it came to light. Home Depot still gives a 10% discount to active or retired military.

Mickie3 said:   Its been that way where I am at for a couple of years now as well. Called corporate office and they confirmed that they changed their policies on coupons (~ year ago.) Where I am now, we have HD, Lowe's, and Menard's. Not on sale prices tend to be lowest in that order (including the 5% discount for having a Lowe's card), but when sales are in progress @ Menard's, if you need what they have on sale, their prices are pretty decent. Downside to Menard's is that they have a lot of their sales using their rebates, which are only usable as store credits in their stores.

at least you can roll the rebates, and when you pay with them you don't pay tax

Some day it had to happen. Every other retailer has started pinching penny.
There has been lot of such funny business (printouts and scans) with Lowes coupon being used at HD.

Though it was nice when you had to buy some new appliances or other big purchase.

dougtr said:   Home Depot still gives a 10% discount to active or retired military.Isn't that discrimination against non-military?

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   dougtr said:   Home Depot still gives a 10% discount to active or retired military.Isn't that discrimination against non-military?
threaten to sue based on your religious beliefs as being a nihilist

I have 3 Home Depot' in my area. One told me they don't take competitor coupons without my name on them. Another told me they take the laminated Lowes coupons, but not e-mail print outs, and 3rd just takes whatever you give them. I swear I could just walk in there with a piece of paper and wirte 10% off on it, and they would take it.

You can guess where I shop the most.

I am pretty sure I am commiting coupon fraud, but I use Lowes coupons at Lowes self check out first, and then use the same coupon at Home Depot. Sometime I am not good at keeping track, and end up swiping an already used coupon at Lowes. A clerk always over rides the "coupon has already been used" and appologizes for the "system being messed up"

I did an addition to my house last year, and used probably 15 of these 10% off Lowes coupons (at HD) in the process.

At some point, the local HD decided that they had too many "losses" - at the same time they cracked down on a bunch of other things, they stopped taking the printed (online) coupons, and indicated they would only accept mailed coupons.

It sucked, but my project was already 90% done...

dougtr said:   Here is what is happening: Anybody can go to the post office and get a mover's packet and inside a 10% Lowes coupon is inside. Many post offices put them out for you to grab on your own, so people grab 20 of them at a time and abuse the coupons for moving. You can buy them on eBay even though they are given out for free. They are or were also sold on Amazon for a while by individuals. Contractors would come in every day with a new movers coupon to use. The new policy for Home Depot has been in effect in the Cleveland area for almost a year now and it is only as a result of abuse by contractors that it came to light. Home Depot still gives a 10% discount to active or retired military.

That's so 2 years ago... Post offices that had their stack disappear within two days, over and over, stopped putting them out. If someone would ask for it, they would give them ONE. Push for a second and they'll direct you to their website where you can do it at your leisure.

HD would still take those physical ones. What they don't take is the ones Lowes emails you.

Nihilists don't believe in suing.

lordoffire said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   dougtr said:   Home Depot still gives a 10% discount to active or retired military.Isn't that discrimination against non-military?

lray said:   Nihilists don't believe in suing.

lordoffire said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   dougtr said:   Home Depot still gives a 10% discount to active or retired military.Isn't that discrimination against non-military?

have someone do it for you, amish-style

I used a Lowes 10% off coupon 3 times at Home Depot in the past two weeks. I didn't have any problems and just ask the cashier if they accept Lowes coupons first.

tante said:   I used a Lowes 10% off coupon 3 times at Home Depot in the past two weeks. I didn't have any problems and just ask the cashier if they accept Lowes coupons first.Printed coupon or hard copy (e.g., post office or snail mail)?

if the coupon is a legit competitor (my HD won't accept Harbor Freight), is glossy (like magazine paper) and preferably has a bar code they will accept it...

i had a coupon from the entertainment book from sherwin williams...used the glossy one one week and went back to use the same exact coupon but only from the paper portion of the book and they denied it...

they have accepted Lowes, Ace, Do It Best, True Value...i fought with the manager and got them to accept a Bed Bath and Beyond one for a space heater once...

Anyone else have any experience with them matching Ace Hardware entertain book coupons? Should I just give the coupon to the teller or go to customer service?

I use the Lowes coupon all the time and I was told they wont take the printed, faxes or photo copied coupons. They have people buying fake coupons off line from eBay and printing the same coupons over and over again. If you read the coupon it even says certain ones can't be used at Home Depot and thier store wont take the eBay ones either. I don't see anything wrong with it. I never have a problem with the price match from other stores its just the coupons. Not taking a coupon and price matching is different.

i once had a $5 off Ace Hardware coupon that was in a magazine.. (i even brought the magazine with me).. so i went to Home Depot.. one store the manager refused to take the $5 off coupon saying that they don't considered Ace Hardware to be a big box competitor, the 2nd store refused to take it saying that it was a fake coupon (even thought it was still attached to the magazine). so i went to Lowes and they took it..

i didnt know the Lowes also took competitors....

The Home Depot policy is kinda annoying because it doesn't seem like it's defined...seemes like it's whatever the manager feels like at the time

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014