• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I want to lower my DirecTV bill and have been a customer for about 7 years or so. I am not sure if I am on a contract with then now or not. I have called DirecTV a couple of times and they will offer free HBO or Showtime for 3 months, but not much more.

I went online and compared their plans, but once I called and went over the plans, I was told that I needed to know what plan to pick and that they could not recommend one.

The problem is that it is hard to tell which channels you will give up to change to a new company.

Is there an easy way to lay out the packages so that I can see what channels I would be losing?

Thank you

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts

ryryfree (Jul. 24, 2012 @ 6:06p) |

As mentioned earlier, consider some Slingboxes. I replaced a receiver in my office by installing one on the DVR in my be... (more)

shank (Jul. 24, 2012 @ 8:25p) |

Hi OP. Thought I should let you know that I just called DirectTV today to tell them I want to cancel my service since m... (more)

trautpa (Jul. 24, 2012 @ 8:29p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

AAA member - $10 per month discount
Signed up for paperless statement, autopay - free HD for life (another $10 per month off)
Hpw many receivers / DVRs do you have? We used to have 3, bought a Slingbox on Craigslist, took us down to 2 DVRs - another $10 per month

http://www.att.com/Common/PDF/DIRECTV_English_Channel_Lineup.pdf

What type of setup do you have? What package? Without that info, any and all attempts at answers are pretty useless.

You're paying $150 a month....to watch commercials between stale crap programming.

You probably periodically get offers from Dish or Comcast or Time Warner or whoever. With one of those offers in hand, call DirecTV to cancel and tell them that you love DirecTV service but the price is becoming an issue for you. They should transfer you to a retention department which has more power than the CSRs to offer you discounts and special rates. They may require that you sign a new 2-year contract to get 1 year of lowered pricing (basically giving you a new sign-up special).

YMMV. It is possible that they will let you actually cancel, although given the high price you're paying and your long history I'd bet they give you an offer.

ETA: Also, with $150 a month you either have a lot of add-ons (premium channels, NFL Sunday Ticket, things like that) or a very high base package or both. As an alternative to the above, try canceling pieces of your service that you don't use much and see how it goes.

Depending on how extreme you want to get ... My parents cut the Cable TV bill completely, and went to Netflix as a replacement ... the LOVE it! Honestly, I was shocked how much they absolutely love Netflix compared to cable TV.

No commercials EVER, watch what they want, when they want. Pause, Fast Forward, Reverse, come back to it hours or days later to pick up where they left off automatically. Like having ALL of Cable TV's movie channels along with DVR feartures.

Best of all (arguably) is the $110/mo savings they enjoy.

What channel do you need? That is going to determine how much less you can pay. I get by with an antenna that gets the 4 major networks in HD and streaming Netflix makes up the rest, but that is just me. Websites like FirstRowSports cover all live events I miss out on by not having cable, and its free.

Some people may be happy with the limited offerings of Netflix, OTA TV, but there are still many Satellite / cable-based services that are simply not yet available (legally) - cable news and sports - particularly in HD; premium programming, like HBO original series; ability to record programs on a DVR, skip through commercials. We gave Netflix serious consideration, found much of the content to be old, stale, available elsewhere.

DTV user for 13 years...
call and be nice, ASK for retention dept... be nice
Never need to SAY, you are going to leave.... simply state, how Tempting the other offers are that you are getting... I keep my bill close to 50 bucks even as they continually raise rates... 2 tvs, one dvr plus a showstopper... they will give you 3 to 6 months premium channels when you call, record alot, no need to pay for them, also, good site alerts when they have free weekends, set your dvr. I'm off in the woods, so, NO over the air, otherwise, I would do things different.
good luck.. be nice

AAA member discount adds a year of contract on top of what you already have. I ended up with a 3 year contract as I had just renewed mine when getting a free HDDVR.

Free HD for live based on paperless is dependent on the packages you have. I have an old expired package and reps could never set this up. But they've always come back and put in a a year of free HD. Just a couple of months ago, I called about it again and was told that offer is not even available anymore. But they set up me with $10 off a month for another year.

18' pole + antenna.

Here are a few more details:
My package: "PLUS HD DVR Monthly" $86.99
HBO Monthly: $15.99
Whole Home DVR: $3.00
TV Receivers X 6: $36.00 total
Taxes: $10.00

Credits:
HBO: -$5.00 (for 1 more month)
Primary TV Receiver free: -$6.00

We watch a great deal of the channels, but will cut down if needed.

My wife likes the lady channels, cooking Lifetime, I like Sports, FX, comedy central. We like the home channels, news channels, local channels, etc...

It might even be easier to say the ones I do not watch

Thank for the input everyone.

JTausTX said:   You probably periodically get offers from Dish or Comcast or Time Warner or whoever. With one of those offers in hand, call DirecTV to cancel and tell them that you love DirecTV service but the price is becoming an issue for you. They should transfer you to a retention department which has more power than the CSRs to offer you discounts and special rates. They may require that you sign a new 2-year contract to get 1 year of lowered pricing (basically giving you a new sign-up special).

YMMV. It is possible that they will let you actually cancel, although given the high price you're paying and your long history I'd bet they give you an offer.

ETA: Also, with $150 a month you either have a lot of add-ons (premium channels, NFL Sunday Ticket, things like that) or a very high base package or both. As an alternative to the above, try canceling pieces of your service that you don't use much and see how it goes.

This is a good start. I too got fed up with DirecTV constantly screwing up my bills, raising rates and blaming it all on short-term incentives and temporary discounts expiring. Eventually, DirecTV offered me everything that I wanted but by that time I had become so sick of dorking around and wasting time that I cancelled and switched to Dish Network (don't do this - Dish's DVRs are horrible and they increase the prices on you just like DirecTV). Here's what you should do:

1) Find out what the best new customer deal is from both DirecTV and from Dish Network.

2) Call DirecTV and ask to speak with the Retention Department. Tell them you'll cancel unless they match the best deal you can get from Dish or DirecTV (whichever is better). They'll offer you a few small discounts but won't match anyone's new customer pricing.

3) Demand to talk with a Retention Department manager. Repeat the threat and tell them that it's ridiculous that they will give their best prices to a new customer who might never pay the first bill whereas you have 7 years of solid payment history. See what deal the manager will give you. If it is not close to new subscriber rates, stick to your guns and demand that they give you new subscriber rates or you'll cancel. If they don't give you what you want, hang up.

4) Repeat #3 several more times. If they don't give you what you want, after the 3rd call, then tell them to cancel.

5) Be patient, and wait for a few days. Get a good book or watch over-the-air major network broadcasts while your DirecTV is shut off.

6) A senior DirecTV Retention Department manager should call you within a few days and beg you to come back to DirecTV. I had not one but two of them call me after I cancelled and not only apologize for screwing me around, wasting my time and forcing me to cancel, but they offered new-customer rates for two years good any time I agreed to switch back.

Good luck.

Suprised no one has said Roku + Hulu or Netflix.

150 x 12 = $1800/year. WOW is all I can say!

Why 6 receivers? We also are guilty of watching too much TV, but NEVER put one in a kid's bedroom.

Best turn it off. Internet have plenty of info.

Table83 said:   Suprised no one has said Roku + Hulu or Netflix.

150 x 12 = $1800/year. WOW is all I can say!

AGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Roku is the best......1800/year......??? i canot say anything more!! dont WASTE MONEY.....rather spend on Vacations with family!!!

We have 6 TVs, but none in the kid's rooms.

Living room, office, two bedrooms and basement..... Actually, I am being charged for 6 boxes and only have 5 set up. LOL... Glad I posted this. I really need to call them.

I may need to recount the number of boxes on my bill, as I had a few when I posted that.

Cancel, save $150 immediately EVERY MONTH!

ryryfree said:   Cancel, save $150 immediately EVERY MONTH!

I was shocked that the first post didn't mention cancelling.

$1800 a year is a ton of money. I'm sure you could find other things to do with both the time and money - Read a book, Build a swimming pool out back, Vacation, Take children roller skating.
If you don't have the energy for any of these things, try sleeping, much more relaxing than TV

JTausTX said:   You probably periodically get offers from Dish or Comcast or Time Warner or whoever. With one of those offers in hand, call DirecTV to cancel and tell them that you love DirecTV service but the price is becoming an issue for you. They should transfer you to a retention department which has more power than the CSRs to offer you discounts and special rates. They may require that you sign a new 2-year contract to get 1 year of lowered pricing (basically giving you a new sign-up special).

+1 to this.. I actually called DirecTV 8 months before my contract was up.. I told them I wanted to cancel and pay the early term. fee of $20/mo * 8. They immediately offered me $20/mo off.. I told them no, they said $30/mo off.. I said how about $40/mo off.. They came back and said $35/mo off.. I accepted. Bill went from like $60/mo to $24-$26/mo.

Glad I read this thread.. I'm a damn AAA member.. Time to call 'em up.. Gonna drop my bill to $15/mo.. lol. I'm finally near the end of my contract, so I'm going to negotiate hardcore again... or just drop them and buy a $45 digital antenna from Amazon and call it a day.

What channels do you get with a digital antenna? Link?

RockLegend said:   What channels do you get with a digital antenna? Link?

http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

chocula said:   We have 6 TVs, but none in the kid's rooms.

Living room, office, two bedrooms and basement..... Actually, I am being charged for 6 boxes and only have 5 set up. LOL... Glad I posted this. I really need to call them.

I may need to recount the number of boxes on my bill, as I had a few when I posted that.

As mentioned earlier, consider some Slingboxes. I replaced a receiver in my office by installing one on the DVR in my bedroom. Only limitation is that it will also control the programming on the host. If there are PCs in the office and basement, you do not watch them at the same time as one or both of the bedrooms, it should be possible to eliminate at least 2 without missing a beat.

Other than the power supply, Slingboxes are virtually indestructable; I picked up mine on Craigslist.

Hi OP. Thought I should let you know that I just called DirectTV today to tell them I want to cancel my service since my local phone company ran fiber to my home and offered me a 130 channels, HD and DVR in three rooms for $50 for 12 months. DirectTV was charging me $103 for 230 channels (no movie channels). I only watch maybe 10 of those channels. I told them if they want to keep me I want four things, the bill to be under $50, HD, DVR and my two most watched channels (FoxNews and CNBC).

After letting them talk for about 5 minutes or so I ask them to give me their best offer. They offered me 123 channels (with Fox News and CNBC), HD and Whole Home DVR for $43 a month. I have three receivers, two of which are DVRs. It was called the "Select Package". They do not advertise this package... That is including tax and the $5.99 equipment protection service. The only catch was I had to agree to a 12 month contract and the pricing was good for 12 months.

In the end I saved $60. Not bad. I also found out I could bundle my current fiber optic internet broadband with them as they had a deal with my local phone company (Cincinnati Bell). I saved an additional $10 on my internet.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014