• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
We've just moved to America from abroad and found that washers/dryers are so expensive here.

Wondering if it is worth schlepping to the laundromat for the next three weeks? Are the Labor Day sales really great? We would be checking out Lowes, Home Depot And Sears/sears outlets for a front load high efficiency washer and electric dryer.

Any helpful tips/commentary would be useful!

We do have a movers 10% coupon we just re dived in the mail from our real estate agent.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Another silly life decision question. Obviously only you (and your family) can decide if the time/cost of taking your clothes to the laundromat is greater than any potential savings.

Thanks for your opinion- always appreciate being called silly ESP with a first post.

Since you seem very informed, could you assist with commentary about labor day sales for appliances?

ginkonut said:   

Since you seem very informed, could you assist with commentary about labor day sales for appliances?

My magic 8 ball is not working today...so I have no clue how this years sales will be before seeing the ads.

Again...this is a simple pro's/con's list case. Complete one with you (and/or your family) and decide what the best course of action will be.

When you decide to buy...do some in-depth research on models you would like to buy...narrow it down with a cost vs. features list...and then we'll have a "deal to discuss".

By the time you pay for the coin laundry for the next few weeks, that will surely eat into any savings, washer and dryer is a necessity , and most retailers
Have a 30 day price match, get a set this weekend, or at least that's what I would do

Fix the ones you have.

All we can go by is last year's typical discount, which might have been ~20% if memory serves (maybe a bit more for certain brands). That likely varies some by how strong consumer spending is leading up to a holiday, and last I checked it was still fairly weak in the broader economy.

So from there, calculate how much you might spend on a laundromat, and then hope this year's sales will more than make up for it. And keep an eye out for any interim discounts/clearances (maybe set a few topic alerts if you haven't already). In my area, there's also a reputable outlet store selling discount appliances that are warranted for performance, but can have scratches or dings. Maybe that's an option for comparison too. Good luck.

You can probably buy used washers & dryers for $100 - $150 apiece.

They're not very efficient, but if you don't have a large family, this'll save money.

I would look on craigslist. I see a lot of new new sets selling for good prices in my area. People sell cheap when they are gettign close to a long distance move date.

Sears outlet can be a good option, if you are patient, picky, well informed.

If you have a local scratch and dent place it would be good to check there.

Also, I'd go for a top load HE set instead, front loaders are more problematic from what I read and higher maintenance is required

shank said:   Sears outlet can be a good option, if you are patient, picky, well informed.

I picked up a steam washer/dryer from Sears outlet last year. Their price was better than anything online. The washer arrived DOA - delivery guys left knowing that the washer wouldn't even start up (they mentioned it to our handyman, but neglected to tell us). One angry call later, and they replaced it with a brand new washer (YMMV).

Everything from there comes with small scuff marks, but well worth checking out.

What is wrong with them and how did they both fail at the same time?

It's late now, but Sears Friends and Family goes through 7 AM (CDT?) online tomorrow (8/13). 20% off appliances, plus extra 15% for F&F, plus an extra 5% if you use your Sears card. If you can't find a good deal on a Kenmore set with that, I don't know what to tell you! I would recommending getting a Kenmore pair now rather than waiting for Labor Day; I don't think you'll do better.

If you don't feel like ordering online tonight, you can try to get your local Sears to honor this sale tomorrow. I may have had luck with that in the past.

Craigslist. Gave $70 each for mine.

Second for trying a Sears outlet store, they offer huge discounts over the standard store locations, sometimes on brand new still in the box overstock models. I bought mine during a 20% off +15% off public friends and family sale, which netted a healthy discount off full retail, then i price matched them to the Black Friday pricing which netted an additional $400 off. In the end I purchased two $1000 units for $460 each.

craigslist for slightly used ones?

respdoc said:   ginkonut said:   

My magic 8 ball is not working today...so I have no clue how this years sales will be before seeing the ads.

Again...this is a simple pro's/con's list case. Complete one with you (and/or your family) and decide what the best course of action will be.

When you decide to buy...do some in-depth research on models you would like to buy...narrow it down with a cost vs. features list...and then we'll have a "deal to discuss".

wow. Your cattiness is astounding. I'm sure people would be a lot more appreciative if you gave advice instead of spreading negativity. If it's not a question you feel is worthy of an answer, don't answer it. Is it really worth it to make a person simply seeking advice feel bad about asking questions (one of the purposes of this forum) only to make yourself feel momentarily superior? That was a rhetorical question -I don't much care to hear your condescending reply or lack thereof and will certainly not be checking back to submit myself to your latent aggression. Get well soon.

One nice thing is our laundromat has a machine that can do 80lbs, or eight loads for $8.00 A big time saver.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014