• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
Any thoughts on the $18x/mo 24 mo lease on the 2012 Nissan Leaf? (with 0 down). Linky or LInky

Just happen to see this advertised this weekend, seems like a good deal when you factor in the gas savings.

I need to be careful, I may talk myself into one.

Member Summary

2012 Nissan Leaf - Lease
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts

frankng (Oct. 18, 2012 @ 4:42a) |

Frankng, I'm looking through their site. Does everyone who sign up for the EV Project gets a charger and installation f... (more)

cerroo (Oct. 21, 2012 @ 12:16a) |

Looks like the deal is expired.

kingno1 (Nov. 12, 2012 @ 1:03p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

looks like a good deal if you can get it. around here, $3000 down and $289/mo in nor cal.

miserly said:   looks like a good deal if you can get it. around here, $3000 down and $289/mo in nor cal. Exactly, that was the pricing last month.

We love ours, I'd grab one at that price.

If you click on the add its down to $174.00

Guess somebody wants them off the lot ASAP.

http://findnsave.stltoday.com/Local-Ads/a-22981/Bommarito-Nissan...

how much to get the charging station at home?

My Brother loves his. And as much as I'm against leasing, I might consider one for that price...

Crazy cheap price but I am guessing you will also need to fork out the cost of the charging station rather than have that rolled into the lease? I believe that was around $2200. Unless you want to plug it into your 110V which takes 20 hours from empty. Either way, a lot of technology for $174 per month!

How much would the savings be? Comparing gasoline costs with the electricity?

giantturd said:   destined to fail,,what savings ,,initial cost is astronomical, what about repairs,,,wait till you need a battery ...you cant do those down at your local tire store.. these things are not for the average person,,,these are for people who drive down the street each day to get a free complimentary senior coffee at mcdonalds..you are much better buying a small toyota that gets over 40 mpg,,its half the price and will last 35 years,,this leaf and volt are a disaster,,why do you think they have to take hard working peoples taxes to give people to get them to buy them,,,and wait til you try to resell it in 5 years....i dont see apple asking taxpayers to help you get an iphone or ipad...wake up, you are not saving the planet,,,they should do away with the subsidy and see how well they sell,,,would you have bought yours without the money that was stolen from taxpayers to give to you???i think not..gas could be under 2 dollars in this country (it was in 2008) now its double that. because the leader of this country would rather get our oil from our dire enemys..

I think you missed the point, it's a short term inexpensive lease with all risks on Nissan.

biomedica said:   How much would the savings be? Comparing gasoline costs with the electricity?

Consumer Reports (CR) comparison of the Leaf and Volt versus the most fuel efficient gasoline-powered automobiles
available in the U.S. market in 2011 that CR tested.[75] All prices are in US$.

Nissan Leaf, $0.035/mile, 30 mi trip = $1.04
Toyota Corolla, $0.119/mile, 30 mi trip = $3.56

Notes: All estimated costs per mile are out-of-pocket and do not include maintenance, depreciation or other costs.
Costs for plug-in electric vehicles are based on the U.S. national average electricity rate of 11 cents per kWh and regular gasoline price of $3.80 per gallon.

So, if you make a 30 mile trip everyday of the month, you should save $75/mo in fuel costs.

thank you. It is very well anaylsis

jschuman said:   biomedica said:   How much would the savings be? Comparing gasoline costs with the electricity?

Consumer Reports (CR) comparison of the Leaf and Volt versus the most fuel efficient gasoline-powered automobiles

Notes: All estimated costs per mile are out-of-pocket and do not include maintenance, depreciation or other costs.
Costs for plug-in electric vehicles are based on the U.S. national average electricity rate of 11 cents per kWh and regular gasoline price of $3.80 per gallon.

So, if you make a 30 mile trip everyday of the month, you should save $75/mo in fuel costs.

Is this SL or SV? Test drove one, good ride, only problem is we started with "30 miles" balance and after 5-6 miles test drive it was at 18, so dont know how much you can get on full talk. But if it works for you. Go for it.

Such a good deal - I could always lease in St. Louis and drive it back to Georgia. Oh...wait....

I am not sure the author of these analysis mentioned all the assumptions made.

If you charge on regular household meter, most likely you will go to 150-200% baseline, where per kwh prices can be 3 times as much. I got one figure of 30c/kwh. If you dont want to go over, some utilities will install another meter (more startup cost).

LEAF has 24kwh battery so probably takes 20Kwh (approx for full charge). if you ride highway to work (55/60 mph) then you will typically get 50-60 miles out of it. So lets do math now

20*.30 = $6/60 = 10c/mile. not as much savings as thought.. You can achieve stated savings if you bring your electric usage under baseline or use solar panels etc..

Shek said:   thank you. It is very well anaylsis

jschuman said:   biomedica said:   How much would the savings be? Comparing gasoline costs with the electricity?

homerj31 said:   how much to get the charging station at home?Lowes sells the GE charger for a grand. There's a hard-wired version and a wall plug version with a NEMA 6-50 plug. That makes installation super easy because any electrician can install a standard NEMA 6-50 plug. You can also move the charger wherever you like if you have multiple 6-50 outlets.

miserTen said:   I am not sure the author of these analysis mentioned all the assumptions made.

If you charge on regular household meter, most likely you will go to 150-200% baseline, where per kwh prices can be 3 times as much. I got one figure of 30c/kwh. If you dont want to go over, some utilities will install another meter (more startup cost).

LEAF has 24kwh battery so probably takes 20Kwh (approx for full charge). if you ride highway to work (55/60 mph) then you will typically get 50-60 miles out of it. So lets do math now

20*.30 = $6/60 = 10c/mile. not as much savings as thought.. You can achieve stated savings if you bring your electric usage under baseline or use solar panels etc..
All figures are estimates and assumptions that can vary widely from person to person. My electricity rate maxes at $0.14/kWh. You also need to figure in the price variability of gas. Who knows when another oil crisis will hit and it skyrockets to $5/gal. Couldn't happen? That's what people said before it jumped from $1 to $2/gal, and people went nutso at just $2/gal. Then at $3. Then at $4. Although it temporarily dipped back to mid-$3's, it's just a matter of time before it lands above $4 and stays there.

miserTen said:   I am not sure the author of these analysis mentioned all the assumptions made.

20*.30 = $6/60 = 10c/mile. not as much savings as thought..
Maybe in your area, but pretty close estimate in Orlando. Our utility (OUC) rates are:
Base Charge [first 1,000 KWH]..6.975 cents per KWH
Base Charge [additional KWH]...7.975 cents per KWH
Fuel Charge [first 1,000 KWH]..3.725 cents per KWH
Fuel Charge [additional KWH]...4.725 cents per KWH

So basically $0.127/KWH (assuming you already use the 1st 1,000 KWH for your home)

20*.127 = 2.54 / 60 = 4.2c per mile

Added:

In my case, I get an average of 45-50mpg (VW TDI), so I wouldn't get near $75/month in savings though.

jerrymaynor said:   Such a good deal - I could always lease in St. Louis and drive it back to Georgia. Oh...wait....

You could tow it back on a dolly with a Uhaul but I guess it would be cheaper just to ship it.

Um.. So at this rate, they should not even sell the car in california!!
PGE says you need new meter to get discounted rate for charge and there is construction required (which is not free offcourse).

Just FYI:
http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf

=====
Total Energy Rates ($ per kWh)
Baseline Usage $0.12845 ( )
101% - 130% of Baseline $0.14602 ( )
131% - 200% of Baseline $0.29561 (R)
201% - 300% of Baseline $0.33561 (R)
Over 300% of Baseline $0.33561 (R)
===========================

All i want to point out was that it will not work for everyone, do your research..

jaimelobo said:   miserTen said:   I am not sure the author of these analysis mentioned all the assumptions made.

20*.30 = $6/60 = 10c/mile. not as much savings as thought..
Maybe in your area, but pretty close estimate in Orlando. Our utility (OUC) rates are:
Base Charge [first 1,000 KWH]..6.975 cents per KWH
Base Charge [additional KWH]...7.975 cents per KWH
Fuel Charge [first 1,000 KWH]..3.725 cents per KWH
Fuel Charge [additional KWH]...4.725 cents per KWH

So basically $0.127/KWH (assuming you already use the 1st 1,000 KWH for your home)

20*.127 = 2.54 / 60 = 4.2c per mile

If you can talk your employer into letting you charge it at work, depending on your commute, you can halve or eliminate you energy costs. And for me the greatest benefit is use of the HOV lanes. We also have toll lanes in Atlanta which are free in an alternate fuel vehicle (after paying $60 for the tag!)

miserTen said:   Um.. So at this rate, they should not even sell the car in california!!
PGE says you need new meter to get discounted rate for charge and there is construction required (which is not free offcourse).

Just FYI:
http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf

=====
Total Energy Rates ($ per kWh)
Baseline Usage $0.12845 ( )
101% - 130% of Baseline $0.14602 ( )
131% - 200% of Baseline $0.29561 (R)
201% - 300% of Baseline $0.33561 (R)
Over 300% of Baseline $0.33561 (R)
===========================

All i want to point out was that it will not work for everyone, do your research..
Yow! That PG&E rate doc is complex -- various % rates above baseline, different baseline regions, different seasonal rates, etc. Basically, it looks like you just pay your bill and assume that it is right.

One big problem I read about is this car is 100% electric, while this may be great for CA. In Ohio this means in the winter turning on the heat(resistive) will mean that gas mileage and or range will plunge dramatically. I have a short commute but i'm not willing to sit in sub zero temperatures without heat.

My SUV gets an overall average of 12 mpg and I drive it about 1000 miles a month. I use about 83 gallons of fuel per month and with fuel averaging $3.80 I end up spending about $315 per month. I would pocket at least $100 per month on this deal. I am not sure that this could pull a 8000lb boat but I only move it twice a year and considering I could rent a truck when needed and still be exponentially better off.

My very best friend has a Prius with now over 300,000 miles and he has never more than replaced the tires, oil changes and $400 of misc service since he bought it new. It still looks like brand new and drives great. I think overall he has more usable space in the Prius than my urban assault vehicle.

The other St Louis dealer is also offering this:
http://findnsave.stltoday.com/Local-Ads/a-22978/St-Charles-Nissa...

Anybody know any other cities with this deal?

Just trying to figure out a way to convince the wife that spending $4800 would actually save us money. Hard sell in these uncertain times.

Looked at it and thought "huh, I bet that's in New York or something." It's like 2 miles from my house.

Too bad it's for a Nissan Leaf, I have too much driving to do and can't make it on the charge. Super Awesome deal though, and I will recommend it to a few local friends. Thanks OP!

miserTen said:   Is this SL or SV? Test drove one, good ride, only problem is we started with "30 miles" balance and after 5-6 miles test drive it was at 18, so dont know how much you can get on full talk. But if it works for you. Go for it.
That brings up a good point, what do you do if you are say 10 miles out and have only 5 miles left in the tank? You can not just drop a gallon of gas in the tank or recharge with a 12 volt battery jumper. Without a willing stranger to plugin with, I guess you just get it pulled back by AAA.

I'd probably do it, even with the over baseline charges. My problem is that I'm about seventy miles from work, and even if I made it there on a charge, the charging stations at work are occupied when I get there.

But for those that this works for, damn, not a bad deal!

we have free charging stations here in AZ ....

My 1st time leasing. Our summers are horrible on the battery though, so Nissan would fix that w/o cost?? Insurance costs high?

Hope my dealer will match...

I think I read somewhere that the 2013 model will allow charging 2x as fast, so that may be one reason for the cheap 2012s.

jschuman said:   miserTen said:   Is this SL or SV? Test drove one, good ride, only problem is we started with "30 miles" balance and after 5-6 miles test drive it was at 18, so dont know how much you can get on full talk. But if it works for you. Go for it.
That brings up a good point, what do you do if you are say 10 miles out and have only 5 miles left in the tank? You can not just drop a gallon of gas in the tank or recharge with a 12 volt battery jumper. Without a willing stranger to plugin with, I guess you just get it pulled back by AAA.

how's that different than a conventional car? you have 1/2 gal left with next gas station 40 miles away? you have to manage fuel either way. sure electric is different, but yes. it's a different kind of car.

miserly said:   jschuman said:   miserTen said:   Is this SL or SV? Test drove one, good ride, only problem is we started with "30 miles" balance and after 5-6 miles test drive it was at 18, so dont know how much you can get on full talk. But if it works for you. Go for it.

how's that different than a conventional car? you have 1/2 gal left with next gas station 40 miles away? you have to manage fuel either way. sure electric is different, but yes. it's a different kind of car.

My point was, with a gas car you can bring the fuel to the vehicle,problem solved. But with a battery car, how do you bring a charge to the vehicle?

fwbuckeye said:   One big problem I read about is this car is 100% electric, while this may be great for CA. In Ohio this means in the winter turning on the heat(resistive) will mean that gas mileage and or range will plunge dramatically. I have a short commute but i'm not willing to sit in sub zero temperatures without heat.The LEAF has a feature to pre-heat/cool the car while it's plugged in. That can all be controlled remotely from a computer or cell phone. In your case, set it to heat 15 minutes before you leave (or maybe right when you wake up) and the cabin will be nice & toasty with a full charge. People make alot of poor assumptions based on old gas car paradigms.

jschuman said:   That brings up a good point, what do you do if you are say 10 miles out and have only 5 miles left in the tank? You can not just drop a gallon of gas in the tank or recharge with a 12 volt battery jumper. Without a willing stranger to plugin with, I guess you just get it pulled back by AAA.The LEAF comes with CarWings which has a real-time updated map showing the available charge stations. When the energy gauge is low, it'll automatically calculate and display the nearest charging stations. You might be surprised by how many people would be willing to let you charge up if you're completely stranded and ask nicely.

Another point to consider is that when the energy gauge drops really low, it'll reduce power (crawl mode) to let you make your way to a charge station. It's not like a gas car that immediately dies when the fuel runs out.

Right
miserly said:   jschuman said:   miserTen said:   Is this SL or SV? Test drove one, good ride, only problem is we started with "30 miles" balance and after 5-6 miles test drive it was at 18, so dont know how much you can get on full talk. But if it works for you. Go for it.

A perfect deal for me. There are 2 charging stations at work place parking lot which people take turns to charge. I'm about 15 miles away from work. Hope deals like this still available when I'm ready to replace my car in couple of years. I'll certainly go for electric car the next time. Drive the electric during weekdays, and drive the family van during weekends. Win win.

samdix said:   I'd probably do it, even with the over baseline charges. My problem is that I'm about seventy miles from work, and even if I made it there on a charge, the charging stations at work are occupied when I get there.

But for those that this works for, damn, not a bad deal!

Buy 3, and drive them in tandem.

Chevy Volt's appear to be having large discounts on leases, InsideEV reports $199 per month at 24 months, but no mention of the down payment...as much as a like the Leaf, the Chevy Volt would be my choice.

Called the local dealer, they could not touch the Leaf for under $200. $250 is the best they could do, with $3000 down.

Too bad I can't fly down and drive the car back.

Skipping 33 Messages...
Looks like the deal is expired.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014