• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I want the iPhone 5 but I'm a prepaid user and don't want to commit to their 2-year contract. If I cancel the contract and pay the $325 early termination fee, am I still able to keep the phone or I have to return the phone as well? Thanks for your help.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
From the apple site, there are unlock version of iPhone (not sure about iPhone5) which can work with other providers bes... (more)

ltrinh (Sep. 17, 2012 @ 11:26a) |

Anybody selling the unlocked version of the iphone5 at retail other than eBay?

moneynomore (Sep. 17, 2012 @ 7:47p) |

FYI, there are 3 versions of iphone 5. Make sure you get the right one for your end results. It'll suck to get it and ... (more)

devilboy215 (Sep. 18, 2012 @ 5:37a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I just posted about this yesterday. I spoke with Customer Service at AT&T and the lady said you can keep the phone. I also asked a friend that kept his Iphone 3 paid a minor early cancellation and picked up the Iphone4s. He then sold the old Iphone3 and got some decent return.

..posted extra by accident

..posted extra by accident

so how much is that? $325 etf, $199 + tax, $36 or whatever they charge for activation and maybe 1mo @ $75. $625+?

Just found this iPhone5 uses nano-sim, so I can't use my StraightTalk sim on it. I guess I just wait for the unlocked international version to come out.

I'm sure that StraightTalk will come out with a Nano SIM for the iPhone.

But anyway - of course you can keep the phone. I would never even consider that you couldn't. You got the subsidized price in exchange for signing the contract, then you broke the contract per its early termination rules. You've done nothing that would allow them to take the phone.

But... is it worth it?

$199 for 16GB phone upgrade (plus tax) + $36 upgrade fee + $325 ETF = $560
unlocked version of same phone = $649 (plus tax)

So you save less than $100, but considering that you'll also have a month of service which will run at least $70, it's really not worth the hassle IMO.

Cancel within 30 days and don't have to pay the first month. Buyers remorse. Also for first time users there is no upgrade fee

soilderboy said:   Cancel within 30 days and don't have to pay the first month. Buyers remorse. Also for first time users there is no upgrade fee

Not true. Even if you cancel in the first 30 days both AT&T and Verizon still charge for the actual data/days used for smartphone plans plus the premium for any accidental coverage you opted to enroll. The only way to get out of paying the usage fee is to provide proof you had poor service or to roll your plan to another phone. Plus with AT&T there is an administrative account cancellation fee of $75 that they charge in addition to the ETF on iPhones. In the end all you will get is a locked IPhone 5 with no guarantees that someone will be able to jailbreak it for use on another network for about the same price you would have paid by simply buying an unlocked Iphone 5 from Apple when released.

JTausTX said:   I'm sure that StraightTalk will come out with a Nano SIM for the iPhone.

But anyway - of course you can keep the phone. I would never even consider that you couldn't. You got the subsidized price in exchange for signing the contract, then you broke the contract per its early termination rules. You've done nothing that would allow them to take the phone.

But... is it worth it?

So you save less than $100, but considering that you'll also have a month of service which will run at least $70, it's really not worth the hassle IMO.

Apple owns the patent for nano-sim link so there is NO chance StraightTalk will ever offer a nano sim card for iPhone. This is not by accident. Apple is intentionally trying to cut of discount service providers like StraightTalk.

cnIsfg said:   JTausTX said:   I'm sure that StraightTalk will come out with a Nano SIM for the iPhone.

But... is it worth it?

Apple owns the patent for nano-sim link so there is NO chance StraightTalk will ever offer a nano sim card for iPhone. This is not by accident. Apple is intentionally trying to cut of discount service providers like StraightTalk.

I dont think you quite understand how patents work. Just because they have a patent does not mean they wont license it, etc. For example, I am currently living in China, and China Mobile is currently making nano sims for the iphone 5....

but apple can choose who to license their nano sim to.. hence if they are in bed with AT&T and Verizon, who gave them a cut of the subscriber data plan.. it's in their best interest to keep these customers with AT&T and Verizon

jojosung said:   but apple can choose who to license their nano sim to.. hence if they are in bed with AT&T and Verizon, who gave them a cut of the subscriber data plan.. it's in their best interest to keep these customers with AT&T and Verizon

Verizon iPhones don't even use SIM cards.

check the contract that you sign. You are bind by contract.

Also I think doing like this, the phone is lock to that network.

jojosung said:   but apple can choose who to license their nano sim to.. hence if they are in bed with AT&T and Verizon, who gave them a cut of the subscriber data plan.. it's in their best interest to keep these customers with AT&T and Verizon

It's in Apple's interest to sell as many phones as they can. If they were really about locking people in with their partner carriers how do you explain that T-Mobile already has nanosims in testing?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/14/t-mobile-usa-nano-sim-poses-f...

^ next lawsuit. Right now Apple is chewing on Samsung and Google.

IANAL, but given that this is an industry specific standard, under the fair and reasonable non-discriminatory terms, Apple likely cannot discriminate against who they license it to.

cnIsfg said:   JTausTX said:   I'm sure that StraightTalk will come out with a Nano SIM for the iPhone.

But... is it worth it?

The nano sim is an international standard. Yes Apple's version "won" the design and spec battle but they must let other manufactures use it. You will see some use it in the future but I thing micro sim will be more popular.

But... is it worth it?

From the apple site, there are unlock version of iPhone (not sure about iPhone5) which can work with other providers besides ATT & Verizon. I don't think Apple locks iPhone to specific providers.

But... is it worth it?

From the apple site, there are unlock version of iPhone (not sure about iPhone5) which can work with other providers besides ATT & Verizon. I don't think Apple locks iPhone to specific providers.

Anybody selling the unlocked version of the iphone5 at retail other than eBay?

FYI, there are 3 versions of iphone 5. Make sure you get the right one for your end results. It'll suck to get it and pay early termination, only to find out it doesn't work with your end carrier.

GSM model A1428*:
● UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
● GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz);
● LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

CDMA model A1429*:
● CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz);
● LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

GSM model A1429*:
● LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)

From: http://www.iclarified.com/24394/there-are-three-versions-of-the-...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014