AMC Stubs Rewards Program - MAJOR Devaulation

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Just logged in to my AMC Stubs (AMC Theatre movie loyalty program), and got this popup:

Summary of Terms and Conditions Updates

• AMC Gold Experience and AMC Silver Experience tickets are discount items that are NOT eligible toward earning AMC Stubs rewards, either at the time of purchase OR time of redemption.
  • AMC Stubs Rewards cannot be used to purchase an AMC Gift Card.

In other words, a MAJOR devaluation of a program that was barely worth the $12 annual fee to begin with.

It's now essentially a "get extra popcorn and soda" for $12 per year program.

They'll give you a full refund of the annual fee if you call and reject the terms.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So don't accept the new terms and quit...

Everyone's getting the email, and the option to accept or decline. The change in terms actually makes sense to me - surprised they had it to begin with. I'm not losing anything based on the change, and I always pay $5 for tickets, so I'm happy!

With all of the free movie screening offers I've already received my first year of being a cardholder, I feel that the $12.00 is chumpchange. I will continue to be a member just for the free screenings.

haunts said:   With all of the free movie screening offers I've already received my first year of being a cardholder, I feel that the $12.00 is chumpchange. I will continue to be a member just for the free screenings.

Free screenings? I never got any offers for free screenings. WTF?

There are "free movie screenings?" I don't have this card and am wondering if it's worth the yearly fee to enroll?

More than 1 person in your household can use the card. every time you spend $100 you get $10 back. We spend $ 10 x 4 + food almost each time we go. I've gotten a $10 reward (free movie) over 5 times. so $50 plus I saved $5 on some online purchases that I made and received 22 free upgrades. so yes it is worth the $12. if I'm with someone Ho doesn't have one, we use mine to buy there tickets also. easy decision for us for $12.

I started going a year ago, when I found out there was an AMC theater near me. It's 30 minutes away, with the "fake" imax. I got the stubs membership and five people went with me the first time. I used the card and got a gift card with it. I was also using eBay to get Fandango codes, which made the imax movies $8. I went to see Prometheus there, using the giftcards, making it free. Well, around when Hobbit was coming out, it was kind of tempting to go there again, since I had 10 points left till I could get another gift card. I got on amcstubs and saw their terms had changed with getting gift cards. I had one gift card left and sold it to a site. Not going there again, which is unfortunate, since the theater was really nice, but a little too far.

Are the screenings still happening?

From hearing the sales pitch you may think Stubs is a good deal, especially if you go to the movies twice or more a month with a family and pay the standard box office ticket fee along with costs of concessions. However, if you purchase your tickets via AMC Silver or Gold discounts, like I and many do, and avoid the over-priced concessions, Stubs is a total waste of money. Consequently, I gave up as participant of the program when I found out, via the fine print, that Silver and Gold discounts are not eligible for earning points - a significant issue that the AMC employees will neglect to mention during their sale's pitch.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014