• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
rated:
There are some news articles indicating that because of dealer incentives, Chevy Volts leases can be very good deals.

USA Today article claims 2 year leases as low as $135/mo.

This article claims$160/month leases are possible.

For a $45,000 car (that supposedly costs a lot more that to make) that seems like a pretty good deal.

Has anyone been able to score this sort of lease? Please tell us your experience.

Member Summary

Chevy Volt
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
So, did you find a Volt deal in the meantime ?

weigelra (Dec. 21, 2012 @ 4:58p) |

Nope. Looks to me like the news stories were written on hype alone. I could not find a deal anywhere close to what the... (more)

Witold (Dec. 21, 2012 @ 6:12p) |

Chevrolet has been pushing the HOV access for a couple of months on the radio. Limited to the low emissions package and ... (more)

DanoMcGarret (Dec. 28, 2012 @ 1:09a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

CALIFORNIA DRIVERS NOTE THIS!!

Another key to Volt sales: It got approval for coveted access by solo drivers to California car-pool lanes that normally require two or three aboard.

MISTERCHEAP said:   CALIFORNIA DRIVERS NOTE THIS!!

Another key to Volt sales: It got approval for coveted access by solo drivers to California car-pool lanes that normally require two or three aboard.

Legit question here. Is getting access to the car pool lane that much of a big deal? I ask because I don't live in CA and curious.

This lease deal is subsidized by...your tax dollars.
Nobody buys this turkey (costs 85K to build), so they practically give it away like this to make the "sales" numbers look better and thus the government takeover is perpetuated.

saladdin said:   

Legit question here. Is getting access to the car pool lane that much of a big deal? I ask because I don't live in CA and curious.

It depends on each person and their circumstances.

Here in DC there is one highway going out of the city that is ONLY HOV during rush hour, for example. And there are plenty of HOV lanes. HOV can cut some people's commute time in half.

ivanivanix said:   This lease deal is subsidized by...your tax dollars.
Nobody buys this turkey (costs 85K to build), so they practically give it away like this to make the "sales" numbers look better and thus the government takeover is perpetuated.

If you want to talk politics go to off-topic. Don't try to politicize my thread and deal discussion. I don't care. I'm looking for a $140/month lease for this 45K vehicle. If anyone has been successful in getting one at this price, please post.

Id definitly get into this if i could ...

saladdin said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   CALIFORNIA DRIVERS NOTE THIS!!

If they'd offer this in AZ I'd do it in a hearbeat! They have a blue plate system here with a mysterious availability system...

With these cheap prices this might make the math work for fuel savings vs. say the prius??

are they aslo selling this car that cheap or are cheap leases the only way to go??

if you can't fight them, join them...

Yeah, so? To your point, it's already paid for by your tax dollars whether or not you take advantage of it.

vickh said:   With these cheap prices this might make the math work for fuel savings vs. say the prius??

are they aslo selling this car that cheap or are cheap leases the only way to go??

The reason why I would be interested in the Volt versus some of the others is because the Volt seems like a nicer overall vehicle to me. I have driven the Prius before, and it's a cheap junker on bicycle wheels that feels like it's about to fall apart at 80mph. It's a crappy driving experience. You are surrounded by cheapness, front to back, inside and out. I have not driven the Volt, but it seems a lot better.

They have sizable discounts to sell these cars, but I am not comfortable buying these cars. They seem like potential nightmares 4 years down the road when things start to brake.

The lease - if one can actually be had for ~$150/mo, no money down - is cheaper than my grocery bill. That feels like a good deal to me.

The big question is, WHERE/WHO is offering these leases.

Witold said:   They seem like potential nightmares 4 years down the road when things start to brake. It's not going to last more than 4 seconds if it takes that long to brake.

From the Chevy website:

Chevrolet National Lease Offers

Low-Mileage Lease for Qualified Lessees
$299/month 36 month lease.

$1,529 due at signing (after all offers). Includes security deposit.
Tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment extra.
Mileage charge of $0.25 /mile over 36,000 miles.

Does anyone know of a dealer in California who might be offering this deal?

bookreader54321 said:   From the Chevy website:

Chevrolet National Lease Offers

Low-Mileage Lease for Qualified Lessees
$299/month 36 month lease.

$1,529 due at signing (after all offers). Includes security deposit.
Tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment extra.
Mileage charge of $0.25 /mile over 36,000 miles.

According to the news articles, some dealers are offering very heavy discounts so they can get even bigger volume bonuses from GM. 299+1,529 is just the base price that almost no one seems to pay...

Witold said:   

The reason why I would be interested in the Volt versus some of the others is because the Volt seems like a nicer overall vehicle to me. I have driven the Prius before, and it's a cheap junker on bicycle wheels that feels like it's about to fall apart at 80mph. It's a crappy driving experience. You are surrounded by cheapness, front to back, inside and out. I have not driven the Volt, but it seems a lot better.

True...
But the fuel savings could be gravy.. I have several free chargers in my area (thanks to taxpayers like myself) would be great to double dip with a cheap lease..Can I go all/majority electric with this if I charge regularly, but go on highways a lot?

One of the reasons I didn't buy the USAA 35K merc E350 deal last year was high insurance, maintenance and registration costs which were based on the MSRP. This would have the have problem?

Can we negotiate maintenance package "included" like BMW?

Yup, it looks like it's great for the first 30ish miles, at which point it relies on the gas engine. It could be good savings, depending on your driving habits. (frequent short trips, vs occasional long trips)

According to reviews, the drive and feel of the Volt is a lot better than the cheapie Leaf and Prius. But I have never driven one personally.

I think the chevy volt is completely overpriced.

However, if you can get it on a lease for less than $200 per month with a reasonable amount down and you have a short commute, why not? The gas advantage goes away on long trips, so you want to have a short commute. You'll save money on gas and you aren't getting soaked on the price.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Witold said:   They seem like potential nightmares 4 years down the road when things start to brake. It's not going to last more than 4 seconds if it takes that long to brake.

And also if it starts to BREAK after four years, so what? It's a three year lease.

I was trying to get this deal last august, GM was giving huge dealer incentives( up to 6000) to the dealerships if they sold enough volts, so the dealers were giving great deals. Some of the volts were 8500 bucks off sticker, then IL has a 4000 state tax incentive along with the 7500 federal for a total of 11500 in tax credits.
I found out about all of this from a guy who just bought a volt and his lease with nothing down was 160 a month, at least that is what he said.
I was not able do a deal because I did not have 11500 in tax liability at the time.
My wife drives a prius that I cannot stand to drive, hell, it gets great mileage but it feels like the cheapest piece of crap to sit in, I know I will get red for that comment but I own one and I hate it, plain and simple!

Forbes Article: At This Price, We Should All Own Chevy Volts

You probably need to find right dealer if this promotion comes back again !

Witold said:   According to reviews, the drive and feel of the Volt is a lot better than the cheapie Leaf and Prius. But I have never driven one personally.Why is it that people feel inclined to dispense advice about vehicles they've never driven? I've driven all 3 and they all handle respectably and have solid interiors. The Volt has a very tiny edge, some of which is personal preference.

peas said:   Witold said:   According to reviews, the drive and feel of the Volt is a lot better than the cheapie Leaf and Prius. But I have never driven one personally.Why is it that people feel inclined to dispense advice about vehicles they've never driven? I've driven all 3 and they all handle respectably and have solid interiors. The Volt has a very tiny edge, some of which is personal preference.

I made it quite clear in my statement that I've driven the Prius and think it's a piece of junk. I also made it pretty clear that my impression of the other cars is from reviews, when I aptly started my sentence with 'according to reviews'. If you feel this is not true, feel free to compare and contrast.

Witold said:   peas said:   Witold said:   According to reviews, the drive and feel of the Volt is a lot better than the cheapie Leaf and Prius. But I have never driven one personally.Why is it that people feel inclined to dispense advice about vehicles they've never driven? I've driven all 3 and they all handle respectably and have solid interiors. The Volt has a very tiny edge, some of which is personal preference.

I made it quite clear in my statement that I've driven the Prius and think it's a piece of junk. I also made it pretty clear that my impression of the other cars is from reviews, when I aptly started my sentence with 'according to reviews'. If you feel this is not true, feel free to compare and contrast.

The Volt is basically an expensive Cruze, so none of these cars is exactly a BMW.

clearanceman said:   And also if it starts to BREAK after four years, so what? It's a three year lease.You didn't read enough of the post.

Witold said:   They have sizable discounts to sell these cars, but I am not comfortable buying these cars. They seem like potential nightmares 4 years down the road when things start to brake.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   clearanceman said:   And also if it starts to BREAK after four years, so what? It's a three year lease.You didn't read enough of the post.

Witold said:   They have sizable discounts to sell these cars, but I am not comfortable buying these cars. They seem like potential nightmares 4 years down the road when things start to brake.

I did see where he spelled break as brake, is that what you meant?

happyFWeer said:   Forbes Article: At This Price, We Should All Own Chevy Volts

You probably need to find right dealer if this promotion comes back again !

GM doesn't mind losing tens of thousands on every car, they don't even have to pay corporate income tax as part of their sweetheart deal. Once again, if this fits your commute and you can get it for under $200 a month and low money down, it's a good deal IMO. For example, we have an old 95 Honda Accord my wife mostly drives, we only put 6,000 miles a year on it. The volt would be great in this situation.

However, you know what is even better, a reliable honda accord that has been paid off for 13 years (it was built in 1994).

clearanceman said:   I did see where he spelled break as brake, is that what you meant?No, the braking (sic) after 4 year comment was a reason that he didn't feel comfortable buying.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   clearanceman said:   I did see where he spelled break as brake, is that what you meant?No, the braking (sic) after 4 year comment was a reason that he didn't feel comfortable buying.

OK, I see, I got caught up in the break vs. brake. And he's right, the Volt is a huge rip off to buy. But leasing for under $200 a month could be a whole different situation if you have a commute under 30 miles round trip or under 30 miles each way with a way to charge while you are at work.

Focus people, focus!

We need to start making some phone calls to our local dealers to see if we can score one of these deals, not debate GM policies.

Leave politics out of the discussion please. Most of the plans for moving this car into production occurred before the auto bailout in 2009. If you mean that GM would have gone out of business and the bailout stopped that from happening and thus the car would have never continued to be produced then you are right. But the debate whether the bailout was good for the economy is one for a different forum and not this forum or this website. This forum is intended to breakdown the deal and whether it is a good one to you as a consumer of the product/service.

Witold said:   We need to start making some phone calls to our local dealers to see if we can score one of these deals, not debate GM policies.

We? When did this become a cause for everyone? If someone is interested, they will call or go to the dealership. If you're lucky they will report back. If not, move along.

qube said:   Witold said:   We need to start making some phone calls to our local dealers to see if we can score one of these deals, not debate GM policies.

We? When did this become a cause for everyone? If someone is interested, they will call or go to the dealership. If you're lucky they will report back. If not, move along.

I thought that Deal Discussion section was for people to discuss on how to structure a deal on particular product and see who has been successful and how had not.

Not for bitching and whining about products and politics. I know it's getting close to November and a lot of people have Election Fever after watching one too many political ad, but people need to snap out of it. This isn't the place for it. If you want to whine, find yourself another thread please.

If this deal were possible in CA without any hassle, I'd jump on it.

And yes, it makes a huge difference in one's commute in CA to be able to jump into the carpool lanes. It would cut my 30 minute commute down to 20 minutes.

WHERE CAN I FIND ONE!

todd2006 said:   If this deal were possible in CA without any hassle, I'd jump on it.

And yes, it makes a huge difference in one's commute in CA to be able to jump into the carpool lanes. It would cut my 30 minute commute down to 20 minutes.

Not just the carpool lanes, but the carpool onramps during rush hour. Huge advantage.

Am I the only one that read the Forbes article and sees that all is not as it seems? They didn't just walk in and get the keys to the Volt for 0 down and $159/month. Not only did they trade in their BMW (no mention of what they owed on it) but they also used $3k in rewards from their CC.

Count me as one more FW member fed-up with the faux praise of this travesty of an automobile.

The Volt is powered by one thing: snake oil.

They were lighting on fire; GM recalled all of them.
Not exaggerating. Again, they were lighting on fire. GM recalled all of them.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/05/autos/volt_fire_fix/index.htm

Politics aside, it is a symbol of disastrous failure.
But politics can't be set aside when you choose to drive one.

I was ready to purchase a Volt when they were first released. They initially sold in California so I had to wait until they began selling in the Midwest. Glad I waited - Consumer Reports tested the Volt and there was a glaring problem for me. They stated that the Volt would not warm up much inside. Their complaint came when they tested in 30 degree weather. Imagine how bad that would have been in winter when the weather was even colder. I did read later that the engineers were working on this problem but do not know if it has been resolved. This is not a problem in southern California where they rarely need to use their heaters.

I test drove a Volt at an auto show and the car was comfortable. A cheap lease is tempting since, as a second car, it might pencil out to be worth it on gas savings for my commute to work of 40 miles roundtrip. I'd use my other car when the weather is too cold or for longer trips. Unfortunately, my state charges sales tax on the full value of the car when leasing. That tax bite probably will negate any gas savings.

Like the others, I'd like to know if anyone else has found the really low lease rates mentioned in the article.

Skipping 58 Messages...
MISTERCHEAP said:   CALIFORNIA DRIVERS NOTE THIS!!

Chevrolet has been pushing the HOV access for a couple of months on the radio. Limited to the low emissions package and 40,000 but they probably don't need to be concerned about the quantity with sales being slow.

Dano

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.