Windows Tablet PC Suggestions

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I am looking at getting a window tablet PC 7" and looking for recommendations. I need something with lots of hard drive space. Everything I have seen in the stores won't cut the mustard. It does need to be small, ideally able to hook up to a lcd projector.

Thanks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
So far Motion Computing seems to have the best although pricey. There is a lot more out there than I ghought. Thanks ... (more)

dennisspeaks (Oct. 07, 2012 @ 9:23p) |

acer looks good too, someone has the w500 so I am going to go and just check it out.

dennisspeaks (Oct. 07, 2012 @ 9:42p) |

On what basis is your claim that Window 7 tablets suck. I have used a W500 for business, personal travel for more than 1... (more)

shank (Oct. 08, 2012 @ 4:35p) |

You probably want to wait a few weeks for the new Microsoft Surface Tablet or other Windows 8 tablet if you are looking for a more capable machine.

Thanks but that is bigger than I want and not enough hard drive space.

Sounds like you need a laptop not a tablet...

Nope i already have three laptops, one is a HP t2000 series with touch screen, it's too big.

dennisspeaks said:   Nope i already have three laptops, one is a HP t2000 series with touch screen, it's too big.

You need to clarify your requirements and what you are using this for. So far it sounds like you want a full blown Windows PC in tablet form with only a 7" screen.

NxN2005 that is exactly what I am looking for. I will be using it for presentations, I have looked at ipads but they are too big although I hear of rumors of a 7" one coming out.

Some questions:

1. Software - What software do you need for your presentations? Will it run on Windows CE or does it need a full Windows operating system like Windows 7/8? Will it run on non-Windows operating systems (Android, IOS, etc.)?

2. Hard drive space - How much "hard drive" space do you need? In a 7" form factor, you are more likely talking about flash memory rather than a mechanical hard drive. Can you use other media like a thumb drive to store your presentations? A 32GB thumbdrive can hold dozens of hours of HD quality video - are your presentations larger than that?

I prefer to have at least windows 7 preferably 8, definitely not android. I would like to have as much hard drive space as possible with a storage slot for more. My presentations are multimedia based and have lots of audio and some video. I am just looking to get a powerful system 7-8". I hear there are some coming out with windows 8 but have not found any in this size range.

Although my understanding is that the minimum size for a Windows 8 tablet is 7", I have heard of nobody releasing one anytime in the near future. Even if somebody introduced a 7" Windows 8 tablet, it would likely be too underpowered for your needs.

dennisspeaks said:   I prefer to have at least windows 7 preferably 8, definitely not android. I would like to have as much hard drive space as possible with a storage slot for more. My presentations are multimedia based and have lots of audio and some video. I am just looking to get a powerful system 7-8". I hear there are some coming out with windows 8 but have not found any in this size range.
External storage, like thumb drives or SD cards, can easily solve your data storage needs with any device; 32GB will hold over 22 days of audio. More important is that you have the video output that you need (HDMI or whatever your projector/display device utilizes. Then it's just a matter of software compatibility.

thanks for your input. I just ran across this at JR's Music. Archos 80 G9 Turbo ICS 250GB internet tablet. anyone have any experience with this brand and model?

There will be an Acer Iconia W700 tablet with Windows 8 be released in the near future, probably Oct 26, 2012 when Windows 8 come out. The price will start at $799 for a 11.6 inch tablet (high-resolution 1920-by-1080-pixel) running Windows 8 with powerful Core i3 Ivy Bridge processor or Core i5 with higher price. The tablet will boot in just six seconds and return from idle mode in just one-and-a-half seconds, Acer claimed. Other features 5-megapixel back camera and a high-definition front camera. Either 64GB or 128GB solid-state drive storage will be available with the tablet. A micro-HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) can connect the tablet to a TV set. The Iconia W700 offers up to eight hours of battery life. A competitor to Acer's new tablet will be Microsoft's Surface tablet, which will come with an Intel Core processor and Windows 8 Pro. Similarly, Asustek is expected to come out with a Windows 8 tablet with a Core processor.

dennisspeaks said:   I prefer to have at least windows 7 preferably 8, definitely not android. I would like to have as much hard drive space as possible with a storage slot for more. My presentations are multimedia based and have lots of audio and some video. I am just looking to get a powerful system 7-8". I hear there are some coming out with windows 8 but have not found any in this size range.

First, Window 7 tablets suck. You will be disappointed in their tablet functionality. Second. There is no such thing as a "powerful 7 inch system". Tablets generally have scaled down performance in order to save battery life. 7" class tablets are even more underpowered, since they are considered a basic browsing device. Third, as somebody suggested, get an external slim USB drive, they come in 500GB capacity or more.

I'd wait for Windows 8 release, it is just a matter of a few weeks and you'll have a much better hardware/OS for the money. If you must have something now, look up Acer Iconia W500, you can probably find it as a refurb for about $400. It comes with Windows 7, but upgradeable to Win 8.

I have used windows, android and ipad tablets all since into and I would like to share another option that I use. Every windows 6inch-11inch win ce-win7 tablet stunk to me. I loved and still use daily win 7 tablets and have high hopes for surface RT...but I have VERY unique uses.

** - Use any tablet running remote control software to simply to control the presentation running on your computer connected to the projector. I've used this for more than a yr and It is very flexible. Not all of my classes use powerpoint but when it does it allows me to project different from what I see on my screen.

My screen has my notes, allows me to control what is on the screen, draw on screen, launch videos and demos etc.

I use splashtop app and android on 10inch most of the time since nexus was a little tight. Laptop is on wifi and so is tablet. If room also has tons of other users on wifi network, I use a separate network to avoid risk of issues, but not really needed. I also have prefer Lenovo multimedia remote.

Thanks for your inputs, I currently have a HP Touchsmart Tx2 12.1" screen running vista, I plan on putting 8 when it comes out, however it is too large to hold in my hand and walk around with. I just checked out the Acer Iconia w500, it's still larger than I want. Gonna go look at the latest Ipad today but want to see what is available for windows 8 before I choose. I do see there is 8" tablets coming out as well.

dennisspeaks said:   I am looking at getting a window tablet PC 7" and looking for recommendations. I need something with lots of hard drive space. Everything I have seen in the stores won't cut the mustard. It does need to be small, ideally able to hook up to a lcd projector.

Thanks.

Is there an existing device that comes closest to your needs?
http://www.windowsfordevices.com/c/a/Windows-For-Devices-Article...

Please specify some of those more quantitatively. What version of windows? How many GB hard drive? From my assumptions, it appears that there isn't anything that even comes close. I'm assuming you're looking for a typical PC laptop (not even netbook), but faster than Atom processor with tablet and 7" screen, running full blown Windows 7 with tablet add-on's. Is cost an issue? If not, you might be able to find something close and make a few mods, akin to changing out a hard drive with an SSD, but on steroids.

A while back there was this 9" tablet, but lots seem to be lacking:
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-8-9-Inch-Netbook-Computer-T91SA-VU1X-...

What you're looking for might be a Windows 8 phone with HDMI output. Unfortunately, it's unlikely to be compatible with most desktop software at this time.

There are some scattered projects that might fit the bill, but you'll have to look far and hard to find old used hardware or wait for new vaporware:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/12/benq-s6-mid-back-for-vengeanc...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/03/oqo-crawls-back-from-the-dead...
http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/15/unreleased-oqo-model-2-sells-...

BTW, as long as the device has a USB port, you might be able to use an external USB to VGA adapter if needed.

http://us.toshiba.com/videoplayer/libretto-w100
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-Video-Monitor-Adapte...

Look at Motion Computing, Fujitsu, and similar.

These are business tablets... not the "tablet" most people on this forum are familiar with.

You might also find a convertible laptop that may do the trick.

Good Luck!
SteveG

dennisspeaks said:   Thanks for your inputs, I currently have a HP Touchsmart Tx2 12.1" screen running vista, I plan on putting 8 when it comes out, however it is too large to hold in my hand and walk around with. I just checked out the Acer Iconia w500, it's still larger than I want. Gonna go look at the latest Ipad today but want to see what is available for windows 8 before I choose. I do see there is 8" tablets coming out as well.
You've provided some new information on how you intend to use the tablet. Will a wired video connection work for you as you are walking around, or are you looking at some type of wireless video feed to your projection system? As flyingroach suggested, perhaps your solution is actually a handheld "wireless remote" that controls your existing laptop computer. That remote could be a smartphone or tablet running remote control software, or it could be an actual wireless remote device.

Now I see we are getting closer, I went to best buy and they told me that there are not laptop tablets out there.

Perhaps this new Acer Iconia W700 will work for you? It has Mini-hdmi and usb3.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/acers-800-ivy-bridge-toti...

The W700 will come in three configurations: the base $799.99 configuration includes a 1.8GHz Intel Core i3-3217u processor with the Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU, a 1080p IPS display, 4GB of RAM, and a 64GB solid-state drive. The second $899.99 configuration bumps the processor to a 1.8GHz Intel Core i5-3317u that can Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz, and the final $999.99 configuration boosts the SSD to 128GB. All models of the W700 include one USB 3.0 port, a Micro HDMI port, a microSD card slot, and a headphone jack, but wireless connectivity options are limited to 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth—there's no mobile broadband option available. The device also features a rear-facing 5 megapixel 1080p camera and a 1 megapixel 720p front-facing camera.

So far Motion Computing seems to have the best although pricey. There is a lot more out there than I ghought. Thanks for all the suggestions!

acer looks good too, someone has the w500 so I am going to go and just check it out.

aleck said:   dennisspeaks said:   I prefer to have at least windows 7 preferably 8, definitely not android. I would like to have as much hard drive space as possible with a storage slot for more. My presentations are multimedia based and have lots of audio and some video. I am just looking to get a powerful system 7-8". I hear there are some coming out with windows 8 but have not found any in this size range.

First, Window 7 tablets suck. You will be disappointed in their tablet functionality. Second. There is no such thing as a "powerful 7 inch system". Tablets generally have scaled down performance in order to save battery life. 7" class tablets are even more underpowered, since they are considered a basic browsing device. Third, as somebody suggested, get an external slim USB drive, they come in 500GB capacity or more.

I'd wait for Windows 8 release, it is just a matter of a few weeks and you'll have a much better hardware/OS for the money. If you must have something now, look up Acer Iconia W500, you can probably find it as a refurb for about $400. It comes with Windows 7, but upgradeable to Win 8.

On what basis is your claim that Window 7 tablets suck. I have used a W500 for business, personal travel for more than 1 year now, quite pleased with the performance. It is not as powerful as a laptop, but still performs all of my business-related functions (full version of Office, full pdf editing capability, eDrawings CAD file viewer, VoIP softphone), plays HD videos just fine. I keep files on a 32 GB SD card to leave room on the 32 GB SSHD for programs.

My eyes may just be too old, but I consider 10" about as small as I would go for anything other than an ereader or watching movies.

Plan to keep using my W500, just trying to decide if there is much benefit in upgrading to Win8 later this year.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014