PagePlus vs Straight Talk vs Tmobile value plan

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have dilemma between these two prepaids and T-mo value plan. Can someone enlighten me on why one is better than others and save more money? I now have Sprint old fair and flexible family plan with dummy phones and day by day, Sprint signal was getting worse at my house and also when I am driving, especially last 2 years. My contract is up by december and I am thinking of switching to any of the above. I got good signal with verizon, Tmobile at my house, but I don't know how it is on the road? I live in Los Angeles area. Data plan use will be less than 1 Gb. Appreciate all the inputs.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I used to family mobile from WalMart, which is a T-Mobile reseller. The $45 plan is not good at all b/c you have to pay ... (more)

cr3s (Oct. 06, 2012 @ 11:25a) |

Just curious, is this total speculation on your part about this or do you have some proof that they actually do this? Th... (more)

dirtrat (Oct. 06, 2012 @ 12:02p) |

Thanks for all your inputs. Can anybody tell me how is the data speed on Straight Talk? 4G speed on both Straight Talk A... (more)

MAUNGA (Oct. 06, 2012 @ 8:02p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

All three have different networks. Well, ST actually can on any network... So it depends on how good the network is where you use the phone the most.

Verizon has the best CDMA coverage. PagePlus would be your choice here. You could go with ST, but only with their Verizon compatible phones (you cannot bring your own). AT&T has the best GSM coverage. ST would be your choice here as you can just bring your own device - their $45 plan with unlimited phone/txt and 2GB data would be the way to go.

Thanks,rsuaver, for the comparison. I've been thinking about dropping our current plan since we are out of contract with AT&T

I am a user of Straight Talk and have not been anywhere it doesn't work yet, granted I don't travel a lot. Works well for me, speed on data is, as far as I can tell, the same at when I had a contract with AT&T. I have been thinking of getting the Nexus phone, which would work with AT&T and T-Mobile towers, so Straight Talk and simple mobile.

we had T-Mobile and now have had Straight Talk for 9 months. we took the unlimited plan and love the freedom we now have, even with internet, though since we have non android phones, we do not use it a tremendous amount. with ST we also have a load of phones (refurb but with a yr warranty) that we get free each time we renew,so we don't ever have to worry about our phone breaking, there is always backup.

we had T-Mobile and now have had Straight Talk for 9 months. we took the unlimited plan and love the freedom we now have, even with internet, though since we have non android phones, we do not use it a tremendous amount. with ST we also have a load of phones (refurb but with a yr warranty) that we get free each time we renew,so we don't ever have to worry about our phone breaking, there is always backup.

my phone is on the att&t/T-Mobile network and my husbands is on verizon (by choice). he does get a little better coverage than i do.

so far most service calls have been handled effectively and satisfactorily. when i renewed late and there was the possibility of not getting the new cards/phones in time, a rep gave us a couple of extra days............i was very surprised and pleased.

i use pageplus which is a 3rd party vendor for verizon prepaid bandwidth.. pretty much over verizon prepaid network. So far i haven't had any problem on pageplus after I switched from freaking verizon with 450min plan..always running out of mins... the monthly $55 plan on PP is good(unlimited calling and txt + 2GB data). Moreover combine the discount and buy the prepaid card on callingmart.com or some other sites...you save another 5%

can you use a pageplus phone when on vacation in Jamaica and make phone calls home?

Just one note. I found T-Mobile to have a horrible customer service.

And T-Mobile's unlimited plan for $50 is not a deal. They only allow you to use the first 200 MB at 3G speeds after that it goes down to 250kbps which is very crapy. I had it, for only ONE moth.

ST doesn't have this limitation, but they don't like you to go much over 2GB/month.

StraightTalk is the way to go. Been using them for 2 months very happy. (Using T-Mobile sim, but I am tempted to get an AT&T phone and switch my sim for at&t network.)

WalMart Family Mobile used to be a good option (had free internet for close to a year) but is not any more now that they charge extra for data.

On pageplus $12 plan. 250 mins and 250 texts. saved me thousands the past few years.

One other thing with pageplus, if you go to them with a Verizon iPhone, they'll activate it. Natively, no extra hacking involved.

They do say iphone is "not supported" and can be disconnected. Many Many have iphone 4 on PP without any issues. Just a heads up.

I left Sprint and you can get their phones to work on pageplus too with a little work if yours are stil worth it.

The big negative is when you need data. Then not as great a deal due to cost while still being on 3g. Are your sure it is not just your phone model? I was trapped by Sprint sero...finally left for LTE and almost regret it.

PP network and cust service is pretty great.

TerryK said:   One other thing with pageplus, if you go to them with a Verizon iPhone, they'll activate it. Natively, no extra hacking involved.

But it is so difficult to gete to Pageplus customer service...almost non-existent.

they say 'can' be disconnected, however I can tell you that P+ as a matter of policy has to say this, however, they don't. The carrier partner they use tells them they aren't supposed to be on there, but the ESNs aren't blocked to the best of my knowledge

Live chat on PP works fine, so need to call them up. Much better success with it.

huge YMMV everyone has different experiences and different opinions...the good thing about the prepaid plans is that you can always change if you don't like the service...evaluate your needs, usage patterns then select one of the providers you mentioned...

I used to family mobile from WalMart, which is a T-Mobile reseller. The $45 plan is not good at all b/c you have to pay taxes on it. And the reception on T-Mobile sucks!

I switched to Straight Talk and got the refurb nokia e5 for $25 + $45 plan. The nokia phone has built in off-line mapping and voice navigation. That, to me, is worth more than $25 bucks.

I drove across the country and the reception was really good (Nokia phones really have good antannas). I'm on the $45 plan and it's been working out great.

One gripe that I have is that during busy hours, you can't even get on the internet b/c ATT will priority traffic. In other word, their native customers get first dib at the network and then if there's space, they'll let you on. Around 5:00 PM, forget about using the internet with Straight Talk.

hope that helps.

Just curious, is this total speculation on your part about this or do you have some proof that they actually do this? This could possibly be a deal breaker for me considering how conjested the data already is in my area even with AT&T.

cr3s said:   One gripe that I have is that during busy hours, you can't even get on the internet b/c ATT will priority traffic. In other word, their native customers get first dib at the network and then if there's space, they'll let you on. Around 5:00 PM, forget about using the internet with Straight Talk.

hope that helps.

Thanks for all your inputs. Can anybody tell me how is the data speed on Straight Talk? 4G speed on both Straight Talk ATT and T mobile? Or just like cr3s said, they throttled their data on Straight Talk to give priority to native Tmobile and ATT customer first. If then, I will lean more to PagePlus. Any opinion will be appreciated?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014