Groupon "refund" experience

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
if something sounds too good to be true...

I just want to share my Groupon refund experience, so you don't get fooled with the "we'll make it right" promise they have.

I purchased a Groupon for "services" in July. Trying to contact the merchant was a nightmare.
After 2 months of leaving voice mails, and sending emails, I was finally able to schedule a date for the service.
2 days before the scheduled date, I received an email that it was canceled due to "rain" forecast (60% chances of rain, and obviously it didn't rain).
I tried to re-schedule for the past 2 weeks, but I finally gave up.

I decided to request a refund to Groupon, and I was immediately issued a refund the Groupon way.
They are not refunding the money into my credit card, but giving me "Groupon credit" in my account.

I will file a BBB complain and try a credit card dispute, but I don't think I'll get my money back anyways.

-John.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
LivingSocial nightmare... bought a coupon for a motocross event as a b'day gift for husband, we even scheduled a weeken... (more)

bengaze (May. 24, 2013 @ 1:56p) |

Um, wrong thread?

Anyway, I'd be upset too, but I sure wouldn't rely solely for LS (or any of these sorts of sites) for i... (more)

yoregano (May. 28, 2013 @ 2:17p) |

Groupon...it looked like an amazing idea and I babe never made an online purchase prioir from fear of this exact crap wo... (more)

feliciascott (Aug. 10, 2013 @ 3:20p) |

USE Phone Number 888-375-5777 Contacting them by e-mail is worthless
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I had the same experience (some other retailer - this was along time back - I have never been back since that experience) - I told them (on the phone) that the only way they can make it right would be to refund my money otherwise I will file complaints. They reluctantly did process the refund.

yep - i also had a bad experience. they imply they have a no-hassle refund policy, and guaranteed good service with your Groupon. however, when I contacted them because it wasn't an easy to use Groupon, they threw up a bunch of roadblocks and hassled me until finally just giving a Groupon credit. misleading, file a BBB complaint.

Edit: I know this is about GO

Living Social gave me a refund in the mail when I canceled. It was due to it being my fault to and they still honored it.

I have posted with LS as a business owner and they have treated us well. YMMV on the merchant you get though as those are individual business. I would definitely report the merchant if they didn't honor their end of the deal tho so Groupon will not let them re air.

Groupon does have some shitty support tho. I had issues back when they just came out and they didn't respond very well to it. O well. It was issues about me taking advantage of their free Groupon credit anyways. I am sure many of you remember those crazy Groupon credits.

Yes they try to give you Groupon credit first , if you buy Groupons often it's fine

But if you don't then just demand a cc refund , they will reluctantly do it

demand a refund . They will easily do it if you pester them

i3ighead said:   Edit: I know this is about GO

Living Social gave me a refund in the mail when I canceled. It was due to it being my fault to and they still honored it.

I have posted with LS as a business owner and they have treated us well. YMMV on the merchant you get though as those are individual business. I would definitely report the merchant if they didn't honor their end of the deal tho so Groupon will not let them re air.

Groupon does have some shitty support tho. I had issues back when they just came out and they didn't respond very well to it. O well. It was issues about me taking advantage of their free Groupon credit anyways. I am sure many of you remember those crazy Groupon credits.

I find Groupon's refund policy ( on the couple of occasions I had to request one, all of which were due ti the merchant being out of business or something like that, to be very easy except, as mentioned, the refund was in the form of a credit for future purchases, which I had no problem with. If you have a Groupon for a service, I assume it may have been for more money, where a credit would not be preferential, and their policy does state "refund".
I have found Living Social, on the other hand, to have a 'buyer beware' refund policy. For example, I had a Living Social for a business that was closed for the last few weeks before the expiration date, with a sign stating that they will reopen at 5 p. m. on the day my certificate expired (in a location I otherwise had no plans to be that day at 5 p. m). I called Living Social in advance to inquire (and make a record in advance) about a refund only in the event that they didn't open as stated on the sign. I didn't request a refund, only wanted clarification before it expired that of I showed up that evening and they were not open as stated, and was not able to use it, it was because the business was not open. I was basically told 'tough spit', that if the business is 'out of business' they will give a refund, and under no other circumstances, including if a merchant is closed for the last few weeks of the offer preventing you from using it, but not 'officially out of business'. They then sent me an email apologizing that I am unable to use my certificate because I didn't (choose to, bother, get around to, ect.) use my certificate on time (with no offer of a refund or anything, apparently just to place a false record in writing that it was my fault the store was closed for weeks).

I bought a Groupon for a restaurant, and went to redeem it. Discovered they closed up shop and moved out a week before I bought the Groupon. I reported this to Groupon (via email since their phone support took too long to answer) and they said since I "changed my mind" I should gift to Groupon to someone else. I re-explained they had shut down and I didn't change my mind, no one could use the Groupon. They re-iterated that I had changed my mind (probably a form email they copy and paste), and said I should gift it or they would do a one time courtesy Groupon credit.

I told them that was unacceptable and I wanted a refund. I also wanted an apology for accusing me of causing this problem (i.e. changing my mind) and for them to remove the Groupon from their site since it's fraudulent (posting a Groupon for a shut down restaurant). I got a refund back to my card, but no apology, and they are STILL offering the Groupon over a month later. Not impressed with Groupon.

The funny/sad part is I even got an email from someone who I think was in an escalated support group (after the fact) asking if everything was resolved and if there was anything more they could do. I responded that two weeks after I first reported it, they were still selling the Groupon for a shut down restaurant (plus I never got an apology). I never heard back from this person, and they are still selling it. Losers.

civ2k1 said:   I bought a Groupon for a restaurant, and went to redeem it. Discovered they closed up shop and moved out a week before I bought the Groupon. I reported this to Groupon (via email since their phone support took too long to answer) and they said since I "changed my mind" I should gift to Groupon to someone else. I re-explained they had shut down and I didn't change my mind, no one could use the Groupon. They re-iterated that I had changed my mind (probably a form email they copy and paste), and said I should gift it or they would do a one time courtesy Groupon credit.

I told them that was unacceptable and I wanted a refund. I also wanted an apology for accusing me of causing this problem (i.e. changing my mind) and for them to remove the Groupon from their site since it's fraudulent (posting a Groupon for a shut down restaurant). I got a refund back to my card, but no apology, and they are STILL offering the Groupon over a month later. Not impressed with Groupon.

The funny/sad part is I even got an email from someone who I think was in an escalated support group (after the fact) asking if everything was resolved and if there was anything more they could do. I responded that two weeks after I first reported it, they were still selling the Groupon for a shut down restaurant (plus I never got an apology). I never heard back from this person, and they are still selling it. Losers.

I have found that on multiple occasions when I reported to restaurant.com that a restaurant I had purchased a certificate to either was out of business or no longer accepting restaurant.com certificated, they continue to sell them (also when I purchased a certificate because restaurant.com's site has hours showing that they were open weekends, which they weren't, after refusing to take back my restaurant.com certificate, they left the false information up for future suckers).

cows123 said:   civ2k1 said:   I bought a Groupon for a restaurant, and went to redeem it. Discovered they closed up shop and moved out a week before I bought the Groupon. I reported this to Groupon (via email since their phone support took too long to answer) and they said since I "changed my mind" I should gift to Groupon to someone else. I re-explained they had shut down and I didn't change my mind, no one could use the Groupon. They re-iterated that I had changed my mind (probably a form email they copy and paste), and said I should gift it or they would do a one time courtesy Groupon credit.

I have found that on multiple occasions when I reported to restaurant.com that a restaurant I had purchased a certificate to either was out of business or no longer accepting restaurant.com certificated, they continue to sell them (also when I purchased a certificate because restaurant.com's site has hours showing that they were open weekends, which they weren't, after refusing to take back my restaurant.com certificate, they left the false information up for future suckers).

I've never had any Groupon problems. Money has always been refunded promptly when I've had a problem.

As for restaurant.com, my experience has been identical to what is posted here. They are more than willing to sell their coupons after the restaurant has stopped accepting them. They also often have restaurants listed who have never agreed to accept their coupons. Never buy a restaurant.com coupon without first contacting the restaurant.

Had the same problems with Gilt.com. Voucher expired. According to law it still had the value I paid for it, but restauraunt (Clink- Liberty Hotel) refused to honor it, as did Gilt. I fought as long as I could, but eventually gave up.

I prefer using Groupon because they are the only one that gives a full refund for any reason. Half Off will not refund unless there is an obvious problem with the vendor. LivingSocial gives refunds but in credit.

I have been issued refund twice without having any problem. They default issue the refund as Groupon Credit (if amount is not too big), otherwise ask customer service to issue the refund on Credit Card, and hat should not be a problem.

cows123 said:   
I find Groupon's refund policy ( on the couple of occasions I had to request one, all of which were due ti the merchant being out of business or something like that, to be very easy except, as mentioned, the refund was in the form of a credit for future purchases, which I had no problem with. If you have a Groupon for a service, I assume it may have been for more money, where a credit would not be preferential, and their policy does state "refund".
I have found Living Social, on the other hand, to have a 'buyer beware' refund policy. For example, I had a Living Social for a business that was closed for the last few weeks before the expiration date, with a sign stating that they will reopen at 5 p. m. on the day my certificate expired (in a location I otherwise had no plans to be that day at 5 p. m). I called Living Social in advance to inquire (and make a record in advance) about a refund only in the event that they didn't open as stated on the sign. I didn't request a refund, only wanted clarification before it expired that of I showed up that evening and they were not open as stated, and was not able to use it, it was because the business was not open. I was basically told 'tough spit', that if the business is 'out of business' they will give a refund, and under no other circumstances, including if a merchant is closed for the last few weeks of the offer preventing you from using it, but not 'officially out of business'. They then sent me an email apologizing that I am unable to use my certificate because I didn't (choose to, bother, get around to, ect.) use my certificate on time (with no offer of a refund or anything, apparently just to place a false record in writing that it was my fault the store was closed for weeks).
)

I have had to request refunds with both Groupon and Living Social, and I've always found their customer service to be courteous and understanding. Off the top of my head:

Groupon - Quiznos sub card - I had used about half of the deal before the location went out of business. Full refund back to my credit card, which is more than I was expecting.

LivingSocial - Car detailing - horrific experience w/the vendor, including missing their appointment after it took months to schedule. Got an apology and a prompt refund to my CC.

Groupon - restaurant went out of business - they asked me for the link to the vendor's facebook page, confirming that they had gone out of business, and told me that they would automatically refund everyone who had purchased the deal. I don't know if they did or not, but again, refund back to my credit card, no problem.

LivingSocial - Salsa Dancing lessons - Vendor changed the terms of the deal by moving twice and changing the dates/times of the lessons. I began to realize that I would not be able to make the lessons, so I called LivingSocial and explained the issue. Getting to customer service took a while, and they offered to give me a credit on the account, saying that was faster. I said thank you, but I prefer a credit to my card, even if it takes longer. They agreed (and it was posted w/in a few days).

LivingSocial Takeout/Delivery Service - I had a coupon to begin with, and used it to purchase from a vendor I've used before. I noticed when I picked up the order that the prices on LivingSocial's website were slightly more than listed at the restaurant. I had shrugged it off, until they sent me a survey regarding my experience, so I commented on the price disparity. They e-mailed me back w/in 24 hours, apologizing for the problem, and said they were putting a $10 credit on my account. The day before, I had purchased another deal for a Gun Safety course, and when I checked my credit card, they simply deducted the credit off the purchase I had made the day before.

My experiences with both companies have been stellar.

re restaurant.com: its been awhile since i've had a problem but in the past, i've always gotten refunds in the form of a gift certificate quickly. once they even emailed me in advance that a restaurant had closed and gave me a GC for the amount of that restaurant cert that i had bought.

frugalpete said:   re restaurant.com: its been awhile since i've had a problem but in the past, i've always gotten refunds in the form of a gift certificate quickly. once they even emailed me in advance that a restaurant had closed and gave me a GC for the amount of that restaurant cert that i had bought.

They make it easy to get a refund, but their problem is a willingness to sell coupons that they know won't be honored.

As a general rule, I wouldn't seek out a third party discount for a merchant that I didn't frequent; and, I would always call before hand to ensure that coupons are accepted from the third party.

I understand that some companies are using it to try to grow their clientele; but, that's not my concern. Those types of companies are just too unreliable for a coupon to entice me. I'd rather pay full price, knowing that im getting what I'm paying for, without the potential hassle of trying to get a refund.

I have to say, I had a good "refund" experience with Groupon. They refunded to my credit card when I contacted them that the service provider was no longer in business, and they even gave me the "1st Groupon purchase" credit of $20 that I used when I bought this service. I was able to use the $20 off for my next Groupon.

After purchasing ~50 or so vouchers from various vendors our family has had 3 incidents (though 2 occurred in the last two months):

• Recently there was a merchant who would not honor our Groupon a day after expiration; he suggested that the $15 "paid value" could only be used if $30 worth of goods (the total amount of the voucher originally) was going to be spent. After contacting Groupon to tell them that the merchant was violating policy (the "paid value" is always good without qualification) a Groupon credit (of $5) was issued; after contacting them again the balance ($10) was credited. Perhaps another FW member cares to speculate on why the merchant would not simply honor the certificate as a courtesy (towards the ends of garnering new business)?

• Another merchant indicated that, although the date on his Google Offers voucher had just passed, he would still honor the promotional value.

• Last year there was an incident at a restaurant when the merchant suggested the GotDailyDeals voucher had already been used (at his other location in a neighboring city); although the paid value was refunded directly to the credit card used initially it was a bit of a bum deal to dine and have to pay full price at a merchant that probably would not have been frequented had there not been a discount available.

IMHO the only risk with the vouchers (assuming one's consumption is controlled) is that a merchant can't honor the voucher and that you wind up having to make a purchase at a place you would not have intended to visit had you not had a voucher in the first place; the other situations can be handled by the voucher company's customer service...

Had similar experience. Demanded refund to my CC, eventually they did.

I'll share a good experience I had. I bought two groupons once and forgot about them. After the expiration date, I got an email saying they refunded one. I emailed back and said I actually bought two and they promptly refunded the other one ($60 each) - both to my credit card.

I bought a Groupon from Timberland and they took forever to ship. I contacted Groupon and they offered me either a credit or refund. By the time I got around to responding, Timberland shipped it out. The sunglasses were too small for my head so I mailed it back. It's been two weeks and still no refund. /shrugs/

I'll also share a good experience. I had an expensive one - $400 - that I had a scheduling conflict that was my fault. They offered a full refund to my credit card.

I use alot of groupons so i told them to give me Groupon credit since it was my fault and I felt like they didn't owe me a refund at all.

BrodyInsurance said:   frugalpete said:   re restaurant.com: its been awhile since i've had a problem but in the past, i've always gotten refunds in the form of a gift certificate quickly. once they even emailed me in advance that a restaurant had closed and gave me a GC for the amount of that restaurant cert that i had bought.

They make it easy to get a refund, but their problem is a willingness to sell coupons that they know won't be honored.

I've never specifically tried to get a refund from restaurant.com, as I don't have a problem with them issuing me a credit, which is the only thing ever offered for a closed or refusing restaurant, but once I emailed regarding a restaurant which turned out to be a seasonal tent, which had been disassembled, and no longer existed, besides the aforementioned restaurant where I bought a certificate based on the obsolete information on their website that the restaurant was open weekends, and was flat out refused a refund. Instead of issuing me anything, they responding by sending me a copy of their terms and conditions, which specifically said refunds would only be in the form of a 'megacertificate' (credit), no 'megacertificate' included. They only issued the 'megacertificate' (credit) when I then responded and very clearly told them what I thought if their terms and conditions and their customer service (which I told them had at a point in time been excellent, as I have been buying from them for probably around 11 years, when their certificates were only sold as eBay auctions), and clearly told them that I expected a 'megacertificate', and no other b.s. immediately.

rest.com started including 18% gratuity in their certs, which makes some of them non-usable to me, specifically for <$20 certs where you may want to do takeout. Pay $10 (including gratuity) for a $15 cert with a $25 min requirement.

When Groupon first started, they honored their "we'll make it right" refund policy - they gave refund to credit card with no questions asked. These days, they do everything they can to avoid refunding and even then refund as an account credit. Maybe related to accounting probe of refund reserves - http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/The-312/April-2012/Gr... . In any event, because of this, I'm much more picky about what groupons I'll buy.

Groupon is a scam. It is basically coupon / gift card scam. They make money from those people who do not cash in their purchases.

I ask one question: how is group different than entertainment book? Entertainment book costs $20-$25 and gives you hundreds / thousands of coupons you don't need or you don't want to use. Groupon is the same, but they charge for every coupon.

There are two types of Groupon deals: (1) you WILL never go to, (2) you will go there anyway. Paying $30, $20, $10, or even $5 for a place that you would never go to is too much.

Groupon should have a policy: if you buy a coupon, go to the establishment, and you don't like it, we will refund your coupon 100%. Most legitimate businesses will refund you 100% if you don't like the product.

Groupon won't even refund you an unused coupon.

Groupon has been great in refund via Groupon bucks/credit card.
I would refrain from doing business with Living Social based on their refusal to refund/credit when a restaurent was closed on Saturday afternoon despite reservations.

I'll make a plug for Groupon and against LivingSocial

I have received several refunds from Groupon, and in almost all cases it was as easy as staing that I was dissatisfied, and detailing why. The refund was in the form of Groupon credit, but I have no issue with that - I will spend it eventually.

I have had the exact oppposite experience with LivingSocial. I had a complaint with something I bought from them (a theatre ticket; I was supposed to get a tkt in the front 5 rows, what I got was a ticket 20 rows back), and LS flatly refused to make it right. I disputed the cjarge on my credit card.

Bottom line:
* I have no fears dealing with Groupon. They always make it right
* I refuse to deal with LS unless it's something I can't get with Groupon. If I do buy something from LS, I use an AMEX so i know the dispute will come out in my favor.

My humble opinion. YMMV.

umm at first they will try to shove the Groupon credit your throat, you just firmly tell them that refund the same way original payment was charged - they can't deny that.

Got the refund this way for 188$ - its not that hard, just keep firm stance.

Groupon, shmoupon.... Why do people use this crap? Is the hassle and time wasted really worth saving a couple of bucks?

samiam68 said:   Groupon, shmoupon.... Why do people use this crap? Is the hassle and time wasted really worth saving a couple of bucks? I Just paid $15 for $30 for dinner for my daughter and I . We will be using the other one Later tonight for dinner. I paid $20 for 2 x $15 cert's

When your on a tight budget it helps... I used 2 email addresses and invited myself to join, giving the original account a $10 credit. When they have another restaurant we like or wish to try i';; buy a cert..

If Groupon cannot be refunded,at least it should be stated clearly

never ever buy Groupon!! buy google local deal or Amazon local deal. they refund you without questions

JaxFL said:   rest.com started including 18% gratuity in their certs, which makes some of them non-usable to me, specifically for <$20 certs where you may want to do takeout. Pay $10 (including gratuity) for a $15 cert with a $25 min requirement.

While the extreme majority of restaurant.com certificates are for dine in only (and dinner only), I have seen certificates for restaurants that are clearly take out establishments, although there is a counter or a few tables you can carry your order from the service counter to yourself, where the restaurant.com certificate states a 18% gratuity will be added, which is no different from a special restaurant.com menu where everything is jacked up by 18%.

Part of the problem might be Groupons too good return policy. I have had people tell me how Groupon took back their certificates for no reason (didn't bother to use it, changed my mind months after purchase, after Groupon paid the merchant their share, I just don't want it). This is similar to someone I know who told me how he purchased something at CompUSA, and at Kohls (and I assume other places) opened the obviously sealed package, used it for what he bought it for, them returned it, obviously unsaleable, and paid for by everyone else that shopped at those stores, or someone ahead of me in line at JC Penny, who was returning a sport coat, tags attached, where the store had to figure out the price, because those tags weren't used in at least a year, so they could refund it and throw it in the garbage. Groupon pays merchants about half of what we pay for the certificates. There was news early this year about Groupon's returns exceeding the reserves set aside for this purpose, especially because of returns of people that returned certificates for expensive services, like lasic surgery. I have never contemplated returning a certificate simply because I changed my mind, or didn't bother using it by the clearly stated date. As far as I'm concerned, if I buy it, it's mine unless the merchant goes out of business, refuses it, otherwise prevents me from using it, or decides to try to create or pretend that the certificate has conditions it doesn't (while I have never had experiences with Groupons where a merchant creates or pretends the certificate contains conditions it does not, I have with other daily deal company certificates). Possibly Groupons reluctance to issuing payment refunds, as opposed to credit refunds relates to people returning things for no reason, after Groupon paid the merchants.

Groupon is still mad they didnt sell out to google$$$

What's is their phone number?

Skipping 20 Messages...
Groupon...it looked like an amazing idea and I babe never made an online purchase prioir from fear of this exact crap would a ccure..and I was right..I decided to splurge on a $25 dollar deal and then the next morning I had appaeently ordered not only one trip ticket but two. I never could do that Cuz of the bottom line....I am a songle mother with three small children..I triex to immediately fix it but they said it would take a minimun of ten days if not longer to clear up and Groupon almost completely cleared my account... I don't know what I am gonna do

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014