Learning Java

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I've always been interested in programming and developing, but it's hard to know where to get started. I'd like advice on resources for learning Java - preferably free and open source resources. Keep in mind that I have no experience with programming--although I'm familiar with the basics of html.

Is Java the right place to get started if I want to learn about programming?

My attitude toward programming is: My day job revolves around spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations, programming would be a nice skillset to have and fun to learn on the side.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

ummmm how is this fatwallet finance related?

ummmm how is this fatwallet related?

I'm certain there's a place called "public library" near where you live. Go there and browse.

coursera.org and edex.org are offering several free intro-to-programming courses with Python, which is "the language of choice for beginners and experts alike" according to the above-cited codecademy.com. I don't know how Python relates to Java but it might be a good place to start.

Java is hot for only certain area in computer science. For examples, Android app, server programs like Hadoop. Maybe you should start with scripts instead of Java since you are beginner without programming background.

Ivor Horton's Beginning Java eBook for $18.
Java Tutorials - free, and straight from the horse's mouth, but harder for complete beginners.
BTW, this discussion probably belongs to the Technology forum, no?

non-deal related

coupons2828 said:   I've always been interested in programming and developing, but it's hard to know where to get started. I'd like advice on resources for learning Java - preferably free and open source resources. Keep in mind that I have no experience with programming--although I'm familiar with the basics of html.

Is Java the right place to get started if I want to learn about programming?

My attitude toward programming is: My day job revolves around spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations, programming would be a nice skillset to have and fun to learn on the side.

Why travel all the way to Java when you could go to Fiji?

Seriously:
1) Public library (books and magazines)
2) Local voc-ed school to take courses

sublimebri said:   http://www.codecademy.com/They ask for email access

Since your job revolves around spreadsheets, the right place to get started with programming might be Excel macros or VBS (Visual Basic Script). If nothing else, this will teach you the basic concepts and constructs that are common to all programming languages, and give you an indication as to whether or not you really want to persue programming. Or, you can build upon your HTML experience by learning Javascript and/or VBS. Scripting languages like these are much easier to learn than Java and will allow you to quickly create software that is personally useful. Acquiring a skill that might make you more efficient at your job would be an added bonus.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014