• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I bought a tool on clearance last month, but before I did, I asked the tool manager if it was returnable, and he said because it was not an electronic tool, it had the full 90 day return period with receipt.

Just 2 weeks later, but in October, I tried to return it and the cashier said clearance items are not returnable. I went to a different register where there was a manager and that manager said clearance items of any kind... shirts, tools, TVs, shoes... are not returnable. Nowhere on the receipt did it say it was not returnable.

All I can find on the Sears site for non-returnable items are special order parts.

As a rule I tend to always ask if a clearance item is returnable before I buy it. I recall even with Christmas decorations bought in January at Sears, they were returnable. I have returned clearance shoes and kids cloths that did not fit OK at Sears in the past as I recall.

Has something changed?

Also, and this is confusing, roughly in early 2000's introduced was the Sears Kids Fun Club, in mid 2000's introduced was the Sears Kids-Vantage Club. But before them in the 1990s introduced was the Sears Parents Dividends Club. Fun Club is about stuff in the mail. Vantage Club is about clothing replacement. The Dividend Club is about receiving an instant rebate for the previous purchase. I give my phone number from the 1990s, NOT my current ShopYourWay phone number, and my children's size clothing purchases count towards a dividend to be credited at the next children's cloths purchase.

Problem is, now at the cash registers the cashiers can see my Parents Dividends credit balance, and they can see my ShopYourWay credit balance, but they cannot apply the parents credit. My parent's chidrens clothing credit is much higher than my ShopYourWay credit. If they are stopping the program, they should issue the last credit earned.

Has something changed?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

No clue why you would start a thread on a online deal finding site compared to just calling their 800 number. Unless you think the CE0 of Sears trolls Fatwallet...their central customer service departments would have the final answer and also be ones to talk to if a store is supposedly not following their policies.

Yes, maybe you'd better report to their customer service.

It could be a per store policy. I just recently purchased something in clearance at Dillard's in FL, and the receipt did not mention anything about the return. A few weeks later at a Dillard's in Ohio, I purchased another clearance item, and the lady at the register made sure to inform me that there was only a 3 day return policy on the item. Plus it printed on the receipt.

With the new policies at Home Depot, Best Buy, etc that have been written about here, I wouldn't be suprised with tighter return policies, especially with clearance items.

But like everyone said, contact their 1-800 customer service to see what they say.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.