• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
ABC News report

here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diaRuqHCLNY

more news and updates on the walk out!

Link: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wal-mart-workers-black-friday-1100...

"Sara Gilbert, a manager who was striking in Seattle, called in on her cell phone: I work full-time for one of the richest companies in the world, and my kids get state health insurance and are on food stamps, she said."

Latest news:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wal-mart-seeks-head-off-033600803....

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Better reread that poorly written article. Where does it say the unions are trying to salvage Hostess? Nowhere that I ... (more)

Mickie3 (Nov. 20, 2012 @ 12:13a) |

Consider taking your own advice:
...On Monday, an agreement between Hostess and the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Worker... (more)

shank (Nov. 20, 2012 @ 8:41a) |

Don't see any arrangement Big Box Mart since it's not a union and owned by the greediest family in the world!

cyruskaker12 (Nov. 22, 2012 @ 1:59p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

there will always be another person ready and glad to take their place, this year at least.

new link ABC News

What do I think of the topic?

Simple. They are non-union employees. They can't strike. They can quit, but they can't strike.

They can walk out, and they can get fired.

I don't see where the discussion is.

you are correct, i smelled BS when the story broke.

stiltner said:   What do I think of the topic?

Simple. They are non-union employees. They can't strike. They can quit, but they can't strike.

They can walk out, and they can get fired.

I don't see where the discussion is.

The real question is whether anyone would notice that they walked out? In most stores, the employees sole purpose seems to be to hold the floor in place.

Who in the hell is RTamerica? It looks like the "Conspiracy Network" from what I can tell. It claims to report the "Other Side of the News", but I thought FOX already did that.

cyruskaker12 said:   here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9JCwj1ykOI

What does every one else think of this topic?

What do I think of the topic. Who gives a rat's ass?? They work at MalWart. They aren't exactly the cream of the crop. And I think you missed an exclamation point in the title of the topic. And, by the way, saying that their turnover rate is high and that people quit at a higher than normal rate is rather redundant. It's also kind of repetitive......

Mickie3 said:   Who in the hell is RTamerica?Trouble makers or wishful thinkers?

larrymoencurly said:   Mickie3 said:   Who in the hell is RTamerica?Trouble makers or wishful thinkers?

After seeing the topics of their YouTube "News Broadcasts" I would say that they are the lamest of the lame. Didn't look too hard, but bet they have pictures of 8 headed chickens, Yeti, etc. on there.

Mickie3

changed the link to ABC News

Mickie3 said:   Who in the hell is RTamerica? It looks like the "Conspiracy Network" from what I can tell. It claims to report the "Other Side of the News", but I thought FOX already did that.

And here I thought CNN and CDNC already did that.

Seems every year someone get hurt on BF at WalMart.

ZenNUTS said:   Seems every year someone get hurt on BF at WalMart.

Yep, with at least a couple of wigs getting knocked off.

The news report "expert" pretends that a hypothetical walkout of some random employees is literally going to wipe off the map EVERY sale typically made at WalMart stores on Black Friday.

Even if 1/2 of WalMart employees walked off across America on Black Friday (which would never happen), they would still be fine (managers would have to put in a ton of extra hours). Losses would be extremely modest and the few employees who did walk off would be canned. The end.

But that's what passes for "journalism," so no surprise.

cyruskaker12 said:   Mickie3

ABC news? The ones who take their orders from their owners, Disney / ESPN.com ? And you think that makes the story legitimate? lol

Years ago, NBC and CBS had quality news departments, which have fallen in quality dramatically. ABC never had any worries about falling, they have always been in the sewer.

Actually many in several cities have already walked off their jobs and are now striking
http://makingchangeatwalmart.org/2012/10/10/workers-community-le...
and : http://makingchangeatwalmart.org/2012/10/09/walmart-workers-in-a...

I think one store is still unionized (not sure would have to look it up), the reason most aren't unionized is because WalMart has a huge Union busting policy. I worked there years ago while putting myself through school. WalMart makes its money off of tax breaks. Their pay and insurance is so bad that most of their full time employees (if you are able to make full time) are still on Medicaid. WalMart , of course, got an exception from the government for the new health care law... They watch your hours like a hawk and it isnt uncommon for people to get fired for working several minutes of over time. I could go on and on, but I think we all know how they operate. People go to WalMart for low prices, without realizing that YOU the tax payer are already subsizing them heavily.
It upsets me when people make fun of WalMart and other service workers like the poster a few replies above me. Most of these people are smart but work there and other service /food places for a variety of reasons. Most of these people work harder then you or I. My job now isn't half as intense as it was when I worked there and other places during college. Dealing with rude, angry customers. Bosses who are jerks. Have to ask to go to the bathroom, substandard pay , barely any sick or vacation time etc, ... have some compassion and stop your eliteness, ... what never ceases to amaze me is that I am a Republician and I'm suppossed to be selfish yet I always seem to have more compassion then many....

ditchqueen said:   Actually many in several cities have already walked off their jobs and are now striking
http://makingchangeatwalmart.org/2012/10/10/workers-community-le...
and : http://makingchangeatwalmart.org/2012/10/09/walmart-workers-in-a...

I think one store is still unionized (not sure would have to look it up), the reason most aren't unionized is because WalMart has a huge Union busting policy. I worked there years ago while putting myself through school. WalMart makes its money off of tax breaks. Their pay and insurance is so bad that most of their full time employees (if you are able to make full time) are still on Medicaid. WalMart , of course, got an exception from the government for the new health care law... They watch your hours like a hawk and it isnt uncommon for people to get fired for working several minutes of over time. I could go on and on, but I think we all know how they operate. People go to WalMart for low prices, without realizing that YOU the tax payer are already subsizing them heavily.
It upsets me when people make fun of WalMart and other service workers like the poster a few replies above me. Most of these people are smart but work there and other service /food places for a variety of reasons. Most of these people work harder then you or I. My job now isn't half as intense as it was when I worked there and other places during college. Dealing with rude, angry customers. Bosses who are jerks. Have to ask to go to the bathroom, substandard pay , barely any sick or vacation time etc, ... have some compassion and stop your eliteness, ... what never ceases to amaze me is that I am a Republician and I'm suppossed to be selfish yet I always seem to have more compassion then many....

Have a cite for that?

The site you have linked above is paid for by a union that has a very vested interest in taking dues from Wally's employees, do you really think there is anything objective about that site's info?

ETA: "News" (and use that term very loosely) site info.

Mickie3 said:   Who in the hell is RTamerica? It looks like the "Conspiracy Network" from what I can tell. It claims to report the "Other Side of the News", but I thought FOX already did that.

RussiaToday., aka "commie propaganda". The pro-Kremlin equivalent to our Voice of America, which gets also broadcast in Russian.

<<<more>>>

Thank goodness for Huffington Post so I could find some unbiased, accurate reporting on this very important movemement. Oh, and one CBS News article 10/11 that cite a San Francisco affiliate.

Expect WalMart to crumble under the massive pressure quickly as a total of 88 employees walked out of 28 stores. Lines were seen as 'longer than normal' at these stores.

In a related story, WalMart is hiring 50,000 for to increase staff for the holidays.......

Mickie3 said:   cyruskaker12 said:   Mickie3

ABC news? The ones who take their orders from their owners, Disney / ESPN.com ? And you think that makes the story legitimate? lol

Years ago, NBC and CBS had quality news departments, which have fallen in quality dramatically. ABC never had any worries about falling, they have always been in the sewer.
ABC actually once had a good news dept., especially when Roone "Wide World of Sports" Arledge became its news czar and made it finally competitive with CBS and NBC but ending when Disney bought out ABC and Ted Koppel left the network. ABC News is now little more than rehashed YouTube coverage, more so than the other networks, and its flagship broadcast, Nightline, has lost so much prestige that it's going to give up its time slot to Jimmy Kimmel. Actually none of the journalists have clout with their networks any longer, except for maybe the people who make 60 Minutes, which has long had a great deal of automomy from the rest of CBS News.

new link ABC News

they could walk out and then all go over to Target to do a flashmob and then after that meet at the park to occupy it and then crap behind some trees

they can be replaced immediately right?

what they can do? block the door?

your right in this world of corporations it's like a David and Goliath battle only thing is Goliath wins sad day for the employee.

I don't see why it would make much difference. Their stores are so large and have about 20 lanes but only 2 open at a time. I'll be looking for some awesome deals for black friday. Every year it seems like WalMart is the most dangerous of stores to go to.

Could this really happen: Yes, but it would require behind the scenes planning. I've seen things pulled off like this on smaller scales using facebook accounts...I could easily see this being pulled off on an individual store. Now large scale, that's far less likely and would require much more organization...A catalyst would be needed to spark such widespread organization.

Would it actually hurt WalMart: At the individual store level? Absolutely, a store cannot recover 4-5hrs before the BF sale if 95% of its force organizes.
(No store is crazy enough to run short staffed during an event like BF. It will get looted.)
Nationwide? highly doubtful

Tolken

I think you might be right, i looked up "f***WalMart" on youtube and man do people hat the place.

cyruskaker12 said:   Tolken

I think you might be right, i looked up "f***WalMart" on youtube and man do people hat the place.

So many hate the place that Wally World had earnings of how much in the last quarter?

In the early 90s I worked for a Rite Aid that was union - here is the great deal the union got the employees:
All were part time
All received no benefits or PTO
Starting Wage was 5 cents above minimum wage
They paid union dues
Any calls employees made to the unions were ignored

Good luck if you get a union!

cyruskaker12 said:   more news and updates on the walk out!

about 1.4 million workers and 30 or so on strike? Looks highly successful to me!

Mickie3 said:   cyruskaker12 said:   more news and updates on the walk out!

about 1.4 million workers and 30 or so on strike? Looks highly successful to me!

And people say Wally World workers are stupid. Others that support the action are smart enough to know that it is 100% certain they would have no job to return to. They'd have to find new ones, which isn't exactly easy in a lot of places.

I'm sure there will be more as the week wears on but nothing significant. What's the old saying? Cutting off your nose to spite your face?

johneh said:   Good luck if you get a union!I'm sure the (now unemployed) Hostess workers are happy they had union support.

Target does not have Union but their employees are not treated like dirt. who need's unions when WalMart can use Food Stamps and Welfare to pay it's employees Subsidized by your Tax dollar!

cyruskaker12 said:   Target does not have Union but their employees are not treated like dirt. who need's unions when WalMart can use Food Stamps and Welfare to pay it's employees Subsidized by your Tax dollar!

T employees in some places aren't treated much better than dirt, if not on an equal level with it.

Glacierwolf said:   cyruskaker12 said:   Target does not have Union but their employees are not treated like dirt. who need's unions when WalMart can use Food Stamps and Welfare to pay it's employees Subsidized by your Tax dollar!

T employees in some places aren't treated much better than dirt, if not on an equal level with it.

I had a roommate that worked at Target and I worked at Wal-Mart many moons ago and all the target people I knew were treated and paid better.

The newwer Target Mgt has done some things to lower quality for Target employees but I think Target is still better than Wal-Mart.

Marlin1975 said:   Glacierwolf said:   cyruskaker12 said:   Target does not have Union but their employees are not treated like dirt. who need's unions when WalMart can use Food Stamps and Welfare to pay it's employees Subsidized by your Tax dollar!

I had a roommate that worked at Target and I worked at Wal-Mart many moons ago and all the target people I knew were treated and paid better.

The newwer Target Mgt has done some things to lower quality for Target employees but I think Target is still better than Wal-Mart.

and I have heard that Chrysler - Plymouth used to make decent cars. That doesn't mean anything today, either.

I am really wondering what the OP's seemingly personal vendetta against Wally World is all about. Were they fired there? Not hired? Picked up for shoplifting? What?

Mickie3

No vendetta just Don't like the Fact that we as citizens are paying for the wealth of the Walton Family think about it our Tax dollars have helped this beast get out of control and it's only during a tough economy that people are asking were there taxes are being spent, sad but true.

Skipping 6 Messages...
Don't see any arrangement Big Box Mart since it's not a union and owned by the greediest family in the world!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.