Cheapest Laptop

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hi

what will be the cheapest laptop for black friday 2012 or cyber monday 2012 in brick and mortar stores OR in online stores? thanks in advance.

i need a laptop with a webcam and a cd/dvd drive for media and entertainment. I have no other requirements except for a total price (including shipping fee and taxes if applicable) as low as possible.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The laptop is semi-functional at best. You'd have to replace the RAM, HDD, and battery for it to work at all, and even ... (more)

JTausTX (Nov. 12, 2012 @ 8:14a) |

does it boot to the os?

bestbuy1115 (Nov. 12, 2012 @ 8:49p) |

what make and model?

FrugalFreaky (Nov. 16, 2012 @ 9:16a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

bestbuy1115 said:   Hi all,

what is or what do you think will be the cheapest laptop for black friday 2012 or cyber monday 2012 in brick and mortar stores OR in online stores? thanks in advance.

Howdy,
More than $1.00 and less than $1M. You're welcome.

as low as possible = go steal one

otherwise you're going to pay at least $300 with tax

WalMart has a 15.6" Compaq laptop on black friday for $179, very low end.

bestbuy1115 said:   Hi all,

what is or what do you think will be the cheapest laptop for black friday 2012 or cyber monday 2012 in brick and mortar stores OR in online stores? thanks in advance.

i need a laptop with a webcam and cd/dvd drive. I have no other requirements except for a total price (including shipping fee and taxes if applicable) as low as possible. Im in the USA. Thanks.

I have one I'll send you for the price of postage. It was quite a nice laptop back in 2006 when I bought it.

You know, when I post a question about trying to find a good or decent price on something, it's because I have a limited budget, but I'm trying my best to get what my kids are asking for.... I've stop asking questions on here because of the rude remarks about me being cheap and getting what I pay for. This board is supposed to be helpful, not make you feel like an idiot for even asking.

ambaumel said:    I've stop asking questions on here because of the rude remarks about me being cheap and getting what I pay for.

Thank you. The forums have a wealth of knowledge just a few search clicks away. Take the initiative to do the busywork and use it.

(Fyi troll, you currently only have one post under your name...so did you post these questions in another life ?)

I'm sorry there are rude remarks, but that's the nature of public forums, I too wish people would grow up.

as far as meeting your needs, there will lots of lappies and tablets on sale on black friday. I would look at prices for a laptop to start at about 180 on BF, but you will have to fight the lines, AND they will be severly underpowered.
I would however rethink what your requirements are vs what your wants are and whether just satisfying your kids for the very short length of time that the laptop will be a novelty, is more important than teaching LASTING VALUE.

First, on wanting a webcam...... The built in ones, even from the best makers, are VERY poor compared to the add on cams that can be purchased very inexpensively. The ones you plug into a usb port and clip to the top of the screen. A built in cam adds about 50 to the original purchase price to a laptop. Without it, a COMPARABLE unit would cost appx. 50 less.
A built in camera will be appx 1.3 megapixels (still resolution) and give very mediocre resoltion when streaming (probably 320x240 @ 30 fps). As a comparison, my webcam from a major mfgr. can stream FULL HD and it cost me only 30 bucks (on sale). They have cameras now for 50 (on sale) that can even do 3D. The very slight inconvenience of having to plug it in, as opposed to built in, will give you a HUGE quality difference.
Another issue with the webcam is the safety on the internet. Despite what parents think, kids are MUCH more active than parents assume. A webcam can be a very dangerous thing for teenagers. We've all heard about sexting. Bear in mind, it is VERY possible to remotely view someone's webcam even when they do not know it is on. Many such cameras are running on default configuration, which does not require any password login or IP address verification, making them viewable by anyone. There are also dozens of programs that can remotely turn on a webcam without the users knowledge making them viewable even when they don't think the camera is on. If you have an ADD ON camera, you know if it is plugged in, or if it is unplugged.

Teenagers with webcams are SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to be victims or participants in cyber-bullying. And many teens THINK that they're in love, but we as adults know that most of their crushes won't last more than a few months. A teen is often willing to take pics for their boyfriend or girlfriend that will later be spread on the internet or threatened to be spreadd on the internet.

As far as the cd/dvd drive. ALL modern laptops will have an optical drive.
NETbooks don't have drives and hey are horribly underpowered anyways. And the new class of "ultrabooks" don't have drives, (but they are not in your price range anyways)

You should also really think whether your family needs a laptop, or the kids just want it because they percieve it as a status symbol.
A laptop IS convenient, I'm on wifi at the library right now. BUT a laptop has a much shorter lifecycle. A laptop has SIGNIFICANATLY higher total cost of ownership than a desktop. The reality is that MOST kids don't NEED a laptop, they only WANT a laptop (or tablet).
A desktop is easily repairable even by amateurs, a laptop should be repaired professional. A desktop is upgradeable. A laptop is NOT.
A laptop can be lost or stolen. It can be knocked around and each bump might affect it's reliability.

If you have kids, most laptops, especially inexpensive ones, are completely useless for gaming. An inexpensive desktop of the same price can be used for light to moderate gaming. Are your children doing well enough in school where they need a laptop? (A rhetorical question, not a comparison of anybody's kids being smarter than anyone elses. This is a question relating to need versus want).

IF you decide a laptop is what you need, I would HIGHLY recommend not just buying the cheapest laptop on sale. Frugal is good, cheap is bad. Look at the brands that people in the IT department at work or at school carry. You will see us carrying the same brands over and over again, and deploying the same brands (Dell, Toshiba, asus, msi, apple, lennovo) over and over again. There is a very good reason for that. Reliability and value (Total cost of ownership). Just buying the cheapest machine means that you get to spend more in repairs and replacement, and lost productivity. 25-50 extra bucks can save you hundreds of dollars.

I would also be careful buying a laptop online (except from direct from Dell, Lenovo or HP or from VERY reputable online retailers). Part of owning a laptop is going to be the ability to return or exchange a unit if an issue arizes.

IF you are buying for teenagers, you should consider an accidental damage AND a seperate loss/theft insurance rider (NOT an extended warranty, they are NOT the same thing). No matter how responsible a teenager is, it's their friends you need to worry about because when asked, most kids will let their friends use it rather than appear "uncool". I would NOT just assume that you can charge a lost/stolen laptop to your household insurance. they'll probably raise your rates more than the cost of a new laptop.

EDIT:
In todays "hot deals" section they have a Lenovo G570 (scratch and dent)for only 273. Lenovo has FAR superior reliability than the average brand, and when you buy a refurb from Dell, Sony, HP or Lenovo, they are completely remanufactured, not just turned on and passed like they are from other places). You're not going to save much more than 50 on a comparably priced system, even on black friday and this unit will be much more reliable than what you could get.

thanks for your overuse of CAPITALIZATION. I would not have enjoyed your post without it

gw1400 said:   WalMart has a 15.6" Compaq laptop on black friday for $179, very low end.

REALLY LOW POWERED AMD E_Series 1800 Processor 1.4GHz with only 1MB Cache
and only
2 GB SDRAM

EDIT:
I really hate trolls. The use of caps is because there is very little way to differentiate inflection in a post and a cap is much easier and effective to use than a bold or an italic. Some people who are newbies to the internet, think they are the internet police. FYI when people complain about the use of caps, it is usually when they just use cap lock and type, giving the impression of shouting. Those of us who have been on the internet since the early 1980's and who work as IT professionals, usually DO use caps for emphesis.

I for one appreciate that you actually took the time to type up a thoughtful post in reply to another new member who is on a limited budget. We can't all be cyber experts and I am one of those who appreciates anyone who takes the time to share the knowledge with less experienced computer users. I find anyone who makes snotty remarks about people's budgets (or lack thereof) or the use of capitals in moderation, to be very immature and most unwelcome on a site where folks come to learn and share knowledge and information.
Thank you again for your post.
iluvs2fish

gw1400 said:   WalMart has a 15.6" Compaq laptop on black friday for $179, very low end.

any cheaper netbooks ??

Please look for Best Buy door buster sale, that last with good configuration. Probably you may have to stand in the line overnight for door buster items, they will issue limited coupons right before the store opens. And also check the same item & model in Amazon if you are impatient to stand in line.

ambaumel said:   You know, when I post a question about trying to find a good or decent price on something, it's because I have a limited budget, but I'm trying my best to get what my kids are asking for.... I've stop asking questions on here because of the rude remarks about me being cheap and getting what I pay for. This board is supposed to be helpful, not make you feel like an idiot for even asking.

and you created am alternate ID just to espouse those words of wisdom?

Maybe you are getting the reaction you do because you are, indeed, an idiot?

The sub $200 from last yr has been surprisingly good for 2 boys now 8 and 6. They mainly use for flash web games and occasional homework. I prefer desktops for kids since no drops, spills and easier to monitor. Mom wanted flexibility of laptop.

Even Acer 722 C60 powered netbook+ has been steller for sis and inlaw med pro working on the go. I'm in IT so knee what we were getting and use only ultraportable Lenovo X series and mac air type for myself and work. Too important to pay less.

I question the need for a dvd drive and would never wait in BF lines. The two BF Lenovo had no lines to get at noon and wife insisted to try.

OP should shop online in the days leading up to of day of BFriday. Pehaps pay more but it really really depends on age of kids and what they need it for. Many kids want a $1200 mac to post to facebook...perhaps give them $400 towards it.

Many teens would be happier with nexus 7/gs3/note2 and cheap desktop for homework.

The sub $200 from last yr has been surprisingly good for 2 boys now 8 and 6. They mainly use for flash web games and occasional homework. I prefer desktops for kids since no drops, spills and easier to monitor. Mom wanted flexibility of laptop.

Even Acer 722 C60 powered netbook+ has been steller for sis and inlaw med pro working on the go. I'm in IT so knee what we were getting and use only ultraportable Lenovo X series and mac air type for myself and work. Too important to pay less.

I question the need for a dvd drive and would never wait in BF lines. The two BF Lenovo had no lines to get at noon and wife insisted to try.

OP should shop online in the days leading up to of day of BFriday. Pehaps pay more but it really really depends on age of kids and what they need it for. Many kids want a $1200 mac to post to facebook...perhaps give them $400 towards it.

Many teens would be happier with nexus 7/gs3/note2 and cheap desktop for homework.

I would go with $299 and above laptop. anything cheaper won't last. Especially don't buy the models created just for the merchants, they built it as cheaply as they could for cheap price.

I'd go with $400 ASUS if you have to buy one, and get extended warranty through Squaretrade.

As for myself, I'm wondering is there any ASUS/Lenovo/SAMSUNG that is a great deal with midgrade processor, discrete graphics and 17" or 15" screen with high resolution? I found some ASUS's at best buy it is either or configurations, and the REALLY good models at $1500-2000s. Any really good $599 to $999 that are REALLY good bargain for the included features?

So far I'm feeling Blah about selection since 1/2 seems to be HP which is forbidden from my search.

Is it brand new sealed in box? Also, are u for real that u only want me to pay for shiping only?

thanks
JTausTX said:   bestbuy1115 said:   Hi all,

i need a laptop with a webcam and cd/dvd drive. I have no other requirements except for a total price (including shipping fee and taxes if applicable) as low as possible. Im in the USA. Thanks.

I have one I'll send you for the price of postage. It was quite a nice laptop back in 2006 when I bought it.

bestbuy1115 said:   Is it brand new sealed in box? Also, are u for real that u only want me to pay for shiping only?

thanks

I'll try to find you a good deal on a helmet..

thanks. is there a link to the deal? also, how will I be able to buy it? I mean will it be available for purchase in-store and online?

Sorry i dont understand what either of u 2 said. please tell me bluntly what u or he meant. were both of u kidding around with me?

respdoc said:   bestbuy1115 said:   Is it brand new sealed in box? Also, are u for real that u only want me to pay for shiping only?

thanks

I'll try to find you a good deal on a helmet..

Is this laptop in store and online? https://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/door+busters3/product/6733454/le...

also, is the 179 dolar HP laptop in WalMart in store and online? http://localad.walmart.com/Walmart/Entry/Flash?forceview=y&promo...

i only want to use a few $10 best buy gift cards, cash, and Amazon gift cards. will i be able to afford either of these 2 deals? i dont live near a WalMart and dont want to take a railroad to get there. but, i live near a best buy.

thanks in advance

bestbuy1115 said:   I i dont live near a WalMart and dont want to take a railroad to get there.

Depends...we talking Union Pacific or BNSF ?

i dont want to take the LIRR there. im in new york

bestbuy1115 said:   Is it brand new sealed in box? Also, are u for real that u only want me to pay for shiping only?

thanks

The laptop is semi-functional at best. You'd have to replace the RAM, HDD, and battery for it to work at all, and even then it's taken a lot of abuse and has been infected at least twice by major malware. If it was worth even postage price I'd sell it - as it is it's essentially a 17" paperweight.

does it boot to the os?

The laptop is semi-functional at best. You'd have to replace the RAM, HDD, and battery for it to work at all, and even then it's taken a lot of abuse and has been infected at least twice by major malware. If it was worth even postage price I'd sell it - as it is it's essentially a 17" paperweight.

what make and model?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014