• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm starting here...

WARNING! READ THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE ANY EXTENDED SERVICE TIME WITH StraightTalk.

READ ALL THE TERMS OF THE CONTRACT WITH Straight Talk BEFORE YOU DECIDE.

(I think this is an appropriate use of capital letters)

I bought 30 days to try it out. It was fine, so I purchased a year of service (about $500) last month.

My phone was stolen.

I contacted Straight Talk to see if anyone was using the phone. The customer service rep told me they did not have this information and could not obtain it.

But the real shocker was when she told me that I had lost the rest of my $500 (I still had 11 months to go). She said those were the terms of the contract, if a phone is lost or stolen, tough luck, you lose your minutes.

I just pulled up the contract terms (which are very, very, very long in fine print) and found the clause:

. "If you notify us that your phone is lost or stolen, your account will be deactivated and any unused Service balance will be lost and will not be transferred."

They haven't heard the end of me yet, and there is an arbitration clause.

It does not appear worth the savings to buy more than 90 days at a time.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Yea,StraightTalk sux.Theyve cut my internet off 5 or 6 times claiming Ive over used my dwnload time.But they always cut ... (more)

ginger25 (May. 18, 2013 @ 5:53p) |

Yelp sounds like something ST would do and or say. I got myself a Straight Talk phone and for some reason every month t... (more)

robinettdiana (May. 23, 2013 @ 10:52a) |

Ya,I have a question everyone...On may 20th I sent my ST -android phone bk to company tobe fixed,its a refurbished phone... (more)

jennluvluv (Jun. 03, 2013 @ 11:40p) |

A few suggestions:-
1) Go to Straight Talk wireless forum (http://straighttalkwirelessforum.com/) and make a posting there. You will be contacted by a Straight Talk representative who should help you. Please note that you will need to make 5 posts before you can get a pvt message so make 4 dummy posts. Also, the ST rep will try to work with you 'offline', but continue to raise a stink on that forum till your money is transferred.

2) If you have a Straight Talk phone and still have access to the web portal, you should be able to 'transfer' your service to another phone. Pick up a dummy ST phone, then transfer your existing Straight Talk service using https://www.straighttalk.com/secure/Activate

3) My experiences are varied depending on who I work with at Straight Talk. If you end up with someone lousy or obnoxious, just hang up and call back. You will eventually get someone who should be able to help you. It always doesnt hurt to ask to talk to a supervisor or manager. Most call centers have them and hopefully they can help. A while ago, I tried 1.800.626.4883 ext 6107 and someone called Elston was super helpful. If he isnt around, ask for someone from Executive Resolutions .

4) Call the parent company Tracfone at 1-800-876-5753 or email CustomerEscalations@TracFone.com

The OP should have never told ST CS the phone was stolen

Instead, all the OP needed to do:

• Buy another ST compatiable phone
  • Contact ST CS and then tell them the ST phone on the plan died and the OP needed to port the account to the OP's new phone

As long as the OP has the original ESN of the original phone and the ST account password ST CS would transfer the plan to the new phone without any problems.

The only thing the OP would be out is the cost of the new phone plus any premium ST services used before the OP's ST service was transferred to the OP's new ST phone.

This is well known with most who use ST over at ClarkHoward forums
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rsmo2222 said:   WARNING ABOUT Straight Talk StraightTalk CELL PHONE SERVICE

Think you need a warning on the proper use of the caps lock key.

Also...you signed the contact. Hopefully you'll read them more carefully next time.

As for now, unless you have already done so...it would be silly to go ahead with the deactivation.

Unless you are 110% sure it was "stolen"...(not just misplaced in your car...or dragged into the cat's litter box)...it sounds like even if you find the phone later...you'll have to start over with purchasing any minutes if you deactivate it now.

Another attempt at saving the world via the FW dumping grounds...

This is well known with most who use ST over at ClarkHoward forums. The OP should have never told ST CS the phone was stolen as the OP discovered the ST terms of service clearly state any remaining minutes attached to a ST phone reported as stolen would be forfeited.. Instead, all the OP needed to do is buy another ST compatiable phone; contact ST CS and then tell them the ST phone on the plan died and the OP needed to port the account to the OP's new phone. As long as the OP has the original ESN of the original phone and the ST account password ST CS would transfer the plan to the new phone without any problems. The only thing the OP would be out is the cost of the new phone plus any premium ST services used before the OP's ST service was transferred to the OP's new ST phone.

cnIsfg said:   This is well known with most who use ST over at ClarkHoward forums. The OP should have never told ST CS the phone was stolen as the OP discovered the ST terms of service clearly state any remaining minutes attached to a ST phone reported as stolen would be forfeited.. Instead, all the OP needed to do is buy another ST compatiable phone; contact ST CS and then tell them the ST phone on the plan died and the OP needed to port the account to the OP's new phone. As long as the OP has the original ESN of the original phone and the ST account password ST CS would transfer the plan to the new phone without any problems. The only thing the OP would be out is the cost of the new phone plus any premium ST services used before the OP's ST service was transferred to the OP's new ST phone.

Good post.
Question: how would someone find the ESN of the original phone? Is it printed on the packaging the phone came in?

cnIsfg said:   This is well known with most who use ST over at ClarkHoward forums. The OP should have never told ST CS the phone was stolen as the OP discovered the ST terms of service clearly state any remaining minutes attached to a ST phone reported as stolen would be forfeited.. Instead, all the OP needed to do is buy another ST compatiable phone; contact ST CS and then tell them the ST phone on the plan died and the OP needed to port the account to the OP's new phone. As long as the OP has the original ESN of the original phone and the ST account password ST CS would transfer the plan to the new phone without any problems. The only thing the OP would be out is the cost of the new phone plus any premium ST services used before the OP's ST service was transferred to the OP's new ST phone.

That might not work - if the service is BYOD, then all you would be told to do is to move the SIM card over to the new phone.

If it's a purchased ST phone, then chances are it's a CDMA device and hence this would work...

From faq's at StraightTalk:

http://www.straighttalk.com/controller.block?__blockname=straigh...

What should I do if my Straight Talk phone is stolen or lost?
If your Straight Talk is stolen or lost, please contact us at our Customer Care Center at 1-877-430-CELL (2355) to speak to a representative that can assist you.

Can I transfer the remaining Minutes, Messages & Data I had on my lost or stolen phone to my new phone?
Yes, as long as the phone upgrade is completed before the Service End Date of your old or lost phone.

OP, have tried calling your old phone number to see if you could find/recover it?

GeorgiaBulldawg said:   From faq's at StraightTalk:

http://www.straighttalk.com/controller.block?__blockname=straigh...

What should I do if my Straight Talk phone is stolen or lost?
If your Straight Talk is stolen or lost, please contact us at our Customer Care Center at 1-877-430-CELL (2355) to speak to a representative that can assist you.

Can I transfer the remaining Minutes, Messages & Data I had on my lost or stolen phone to my new phone?
Yes, as long as the phone upgrade is completed before the Service End Date of your old or lost phone.

OP, have tried calling your old phone number to see if you could find/recover it?

So their own FAQs don't match their contract? Well that's BS. I believe if I were OP I'd call customer service back, with the link that Bulldawg posted in hand.

How about you call them up and say "Oops, found it in the couch," and then SIM swap?

dbond79 said:   

So their own FAQs don't match their contract? Well that's BS.

No where during OP cap's lock whining did they mention they wanted to transfer the minutes to a new phone. If they were just looking to get refunded the credit..the non-refund clause still would apply.

Does StraightTalk require a contract? I thought it was a prepaid service (month to month).

ClearanceItem said:   How about you call them up and say "Oops, found it in the couch," and then SIM swap?

Better found it in the pool to explain why you want to SIM swap.

docjoo said:   Does StraightTalk require a contract? I thought it was a prepaid service (month to month).

You can save money ~ 8-10% (don't know the top of my head) if you pay for 12 months.

rsmo2222 said:   WARNING! READ THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE ANY EXTENDED SERVICE TIME WITH StraightTalk.

great advice everyone should always heed.

as for OP, have you followed up with any of the good advice given below and what was your result?

regardless of whether the phone was cdma or gsm, if you drop in the pool, you'll need to get a new phone activated on the line.

There is no contract but you can prepay for more than one months service for larger discount. I purchased two SIM cards from Straight talks website a couple months back with plans to activate two iphones with the BYOD service. I could not activate the first SIM card and had a message that the SIMS serial number was already in use. I called customer service and was transferred 3-4 times and spent almost an hour on the phone to have them verify they shipped me a SIM with a duplicate serial number. To my amazement the person I was talking to had no authority to actually help me and wanted me to wait the next day for someone to call me back instead of admitting to the mistake and overnighting me a new SIM card. I decided with customer service this bad I no longer wanted this service! Also be aware the unlimited data plan is not really unlimited. The unofficial limit is 100 Mb/day or 2 Gb/month. Go over this and they will throttle your phone so bad its unusable. Buyer beware.

imatechie said:   docjoo said:   Does StraightTalk require a contract? I thought it was a prepaid service (month to month).

You can save money ~ 8-10% (don't know the top of my head) if you pay for 12 months.

It looks like Straight Talk just shot themselves in the foot. Straight Talk gets quite a few referrals from fatwallet forum members. I would rather use h20 wireless for $5 more than support Straight Talk.

xfmpcx said:   It looks like Straight Talk just shot themselves in the foot. Straight Talk gets quite a few referrals from fatwallet forum members. I would rather use h20 wireless for $5 more than support Straight Talk.

Well, since H20 has the same stipulations for lost phones (minutes can be transferred but no refunds are given just for losing the phone).....that makes no sense.

miserly said:   rsmo2222 said:   WARNING! READ THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE ANY EXTENDED SERVICE TIME WITH StraightTalk.

great advice everyone should always heed.

as for OP, have you followed up with any of the good advice given below and what was your result?

regardless of whether the phone was cdma or gsm, if you drop in the pool, you'll need to get a new phone activated on the line.

Green for OP. When it comes on FWF (even the title) is a gentle reminder of what lies inside thousands of words in terms of the contract.

Don't worry about a few Troll's opinions. Some here feel the urges to respond to every thread in FWF. The general consensus in these threads/forums is dissemination of knowledge.

OP, do you have a "bring your own SIM" or did you buy the phone directly from Straight-Talk/WalMart? It is a little unclear and most of the SIM-swap suggestions from people are for bring your own device. It is harder if you purchased the phone from ST but something you should still get your money back.

A few suggestions:-
1) Go to Straight Talk wireless forum (http://straighttalkwirelessforum.com/) and make a posting there. You will be contacted by a Straight Talk representative who should help you. Please note that you will need to make 5 posts before you can get a pvt message so make 4 dummy posts. Also, the ST rep will try to work with you 'offline', but continue to raise a stink on that forum till your money is transferred.

2) If you have a Straight Talk phone and still have access to the web portal, you should be able to 'transfer' your service to another phone. Pick up a dummy ST phone, then transfer your existing Straight Talk service using https://www.straighttalk.com/secure/Activate

3) My experiences are varied depending on who I work with at Straight Talk. If you end up with someone lousy or obnoxious, just hang up and call back. You will eventually get someone who should be able to help you. It always doesnt hurt to ask to talk to a supervisor or manager. Most call centers have them and hopefully they can help. A while ago, I tried 1.800.626.4883 ext 6107 and someone called Elston was super helpful. If he isnt around, ask for someone from Executive Resolutions .

4) Call the parent company Tracfone at 1-800-876-5753 or email CustomerEscalations@TracFone.com

I'd appreciate if you post the results of your experience on this forum so that others can figure out how you resolved your problem.

Thanks.

rsmo2222 said:   I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm starting here...

WARNING! READ THIS BEFORE YOU PURCHASE ANY EXTENDED SERVICE TIME WITH StraightTalk.

(I think this is an appropriate use of capital letters)

I bought 30 days to try it out. It was fine, so I purchased a year of service (about $500) last month.

My phone was stolen.

I contacted Straight Talk to see if anyone was using the phone. The customer service rep told me they did not have this information and could not obtain it.

But the real shocker was when she told me that I had lost the rest of my $500 (I still had 11 months to go). She said those were the terms of the contract, if a phone is lost or stolen, tough luck, you lose your minutes.

I just pulled up the contract terms (which are very, very, very long in fine print) and found the clause:

. "If you notify us that your phone is lost or stolen, your account will be deactivated and any unused Service balance will be lost and will not be transferred."

They haven't heard the end of me yet, and there is an arbitration clause.

It does not appear worth the savings to buy more than 90 days at a time.

imatechie said:   

Don't worry about a few Troll's opinions. Some here feel the urges to respond to every thread in FWF. The general consensus in these threads/forums is dissemination of knowledge.

The only troll here seems to be you. Given that you gave red to Georgiabulldawg's post of just stating the terms from their website..shows that you'd rather blame others than take responsibility for not reading the contract, in-detail, before agreeing to the terms.

Very common...but you have no one to blame besides yourself.

rsuaver said:   cnIsfg said:   This is well known with most who use ST over at ClarkHoward forums. The OP should have never told ST CS the phone was stolen as the OP discovered the ST terms of service clearly state any remaining minutes attached to a ST phone reported as stolen would be forfeited.. Instead, all the OP needed to do is buy another ST compatiable phone; contact ST CS and then tell them the ST phone on the plan died and the OP needed to port the account to the OP's new phone. As long as the OP has the original ESN of the original phone and the ST account password ST CS would transfer the plan to the new phone without any problems. The only thing the OP would be out is the cost of the new phone plus any premium ST services used before the OP's ST service was transferred to the OP's new ST phone.

That might not work - if the service is BYOD, then all you would be told to do is to move the SIM card over to the new phone.

If it's a purchased ST phone, then chances are it's a CDMA device and hence this would work...

Could't CS see that the phone has been used and therefore tell op the phone works so his claim is invalid assuming of course the thief started using the phone.

The OP should have never told ST CS the phone was stolen

Instead, all the OP needed to do:

• Buy another ST compatiable phone
  • Contact ST CS and then tell them the ST phone on the plan died and the OP needed to port the account to the OP's new phone

As long as the OP has the original ESN of the original phone and the ST account password ST CS would transfer the plan to the new phone without any problems.

The only thing the OP would be out is the cost of the new phone plus any premium ST services used before the OP's ST service was transferred to the OP's new ST phone.

This is well known with most who use ST over at ClarkHoward forums

I agree, good post. Thank you, I would of never known and did notify my daughter who uses Straight Talk.

Thanks again

shallot said:   rsuaver said:   cnIsfg said:   This is well known with most who use ST over at ClarkHoward forums. The OP should have never told ST CS the phone was stolen as the OP discovered the ST terms of service clearly state any remaining minutes attached to a ST phone reported as stolen would be forfeited.. Instead, all the OP needed to do is buy another ST compatiable phone; contact ST CS and then tell them the ST phone on the plan died and the OP needed to port the account to the OP's new phone. As long as the OP has the original ESN of the original phone and the ST account password ST CS would transfer the plan to the new phone without any problems. The only thing the OP would be out is the cost of the new phone plus any premium ST services used before the OP's ST service was transferred to the OP's new ST phone.

Could't CS see that the phone has been used and therefore tell op the phone works so his claim is invalid assuming of course the thief started using the phone.
Straight Talk is not the carrier, At&t is the carrier and they can tell if the phone is in use, but you can't communicate with At&t because you are not their customer.

Didn't know this as well. Good info so I don't fall for this.

So buy a new ST compatible phone. Call them back. Tell them you found it outside in the rain and neither the sim nor the phone work.

Thanks for the post, you help some of us to stay away from this company!

Company has been great to me...We use Pandora all the time...Travel throughout the country with no loss in reception..>Two weeks back i drove from Los angelens to St George UT and pandora only dropped once....I am in with Straight Talk. I just wont prepay a year.

xfmpcx said:   It looks like Straight Talk just shot themselves in the foot. Straight Talk gets quite a few referrals from fatwallet forum members. I would rather use h20 wireless for $5 more than support Straight Talk.

I remember you from Clerks. Didn't you sell Chewley's Gum?

*Language warning*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTbusMZEL0Q

OP, thanks for the heads up, did not know that. I never read the fine print on any contract under $100.

This is another thread where people take no personal responsibility. Good for you.

Try reading a contract before signing or going off half-cocked.

their policy is stupid- plain and simple. and there's a simple way to overcome it...thanks cnIsfg.
all you folks who think he should have read the contract congrats we bow down to your infinite wisdom.

thank you OP for outlining this shortcoming. everyone here on FW raves about the price and service quality of Straight Talk. the only issue I've heard with them is if you use more than 2GB/month or 100MB/day despite advertising unlimited data. I glad to know there's this one other thing to look out for before I recommend others switch to ST...having no personal experience with them.

it was an honest mistake and I'm curious how they will handle it regardless of what their contract states. i'm surprised they've given you as much grief as they have.

etee said:   their policy is stupid- plain and simple. and there's a simple way to overcome it...thanks cnIsfg.
all you folks who think he should have read the contract congrats we bow down to your infinite wisdom.

No, their policy (which is the same policy of many other prepaid plans) is quite smart. It's another story for the people that can't understand them.

If they allowed just anyone to just cancel the contact stating their phone was "stolen"...everyone who just wanted to cancel their contact midterm after enjoying the prepaid yearly discount would do that.

Sounds and looks per OP's first post typing skills..that they have a hard time controlling their emotions. Probably is what happened on their phone call with customer service and the discussion of transferring the plan to another phone never came up.

Reading contracts is all part of being an adult. If you don't want to read them...I would suggesting finding an adult to read it for you. It's in your best financial interest.

qube said:   This is another thread where people take no personal responsibility. Good for you.

Try reading a contract before signing or going off half-cocked.

Actually, the thread is about warning people about what can happen if you lose a Straight Talk phone.

There is no need to belittle OP.

And the term itself should be displayed where everyone can see it. Not buried in a contract. That is a good business practice and promotes goodwill.

update OP?

Melodramatic posting designed to attract green votes. Time to visit another page.

imatechie said:   docjoo said:   Does StraightTalk require a contract? I thought it was a prepaid service (month to month).

Not worth their billing headaches to save 10%. ST is one place I don't mind paying full price.

You always need to keep an online account set up with any prepaid phone. Of course if someone steals your phone and uses it that time is gone, it's prepaid and the company cannot prove it's lost or stolen. However as long as you keep an online account with straightalk, you will have to buy a new phone, just call and tell them that you want to transfer to a new phone and your phone is lost but your $500 is safe. Straight Talk has been the cheapest thing around since 2009 at least but they of course keep little stuff like that to rip people off and maintain a profit. I have an ex in prison (sadly) and I set up a prepaid account on my prepaid Straight Talk phone through Global tel link so that collect calls could come through to my cell. I have had the same account for 5 years and the same phone for 3. 3 years ago he went to jail for 20 days and I set up the same type of account no problems. This last time I paid an additional $25 besides my regular service fee to accept the collect calls and thankfully I was able to use all but $3.15 of the money on my tel link account and st.aight talk blocked his calls altogether. Once again they stated that it is in those very small letters of the terms of agreement that they do not support collect or 1-900 calls. they at first claimed that a glich must have allowed me to receive what calls I have. A 3 year glich..? So basically they don't want anyone using any other prepaid phone service than their own, a bit selfish being that you still have to pay them to have the phone on/

just say you got a new phone & want to transfer your number, your time goes with it i believe. They may make you wait until you renew your plan like they used to when changing your number but i don't think they do. they don't make you wait to change your # anymore

Skipping 3 Messages...
Ya,I have a question everyone...On may 20th I sent my ST -android phone bk to company tobe fixed,its a refurbished phone,and ever since then,they have been giving me the RUN AROUND!!! I'M really at my witts end with this CRAP-i had my phone a little over a month and it breaks like that???WTF???-I want my phone back,and I want it now-they keep telling me 3-5 buisness days-then tonight a recording of a guy said that I will have my phone within the next 5 Buisness days!!!I HAVE ALREADY BEEN WAITING TOOO LONG...WHAT THE UCK CAN I DO TO GET MY FLUCKING ANDROID PHONE BK FOR REAL,ANYONE?,ANYONE AT ALL????

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014