Help about Small Factor PC

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hi all,

Planning to buy small factor pc. Don't know if that is the right name for small desktop pc. I saw on certain site selling these:

Gateway SX2865-UR328 Intel Dual-Core i3-2130 3.4GHz Desktop (Win8) $399.99
Dell Vostro 270 Mini Intel Dual-Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Desktop (4GB/500GB) $399.99

Can anyone please give me advise which to take or if that is already good bargain? I have search through deals and not much this size pc around. Thanks in advance.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Where can I got the mini itx motherboard fitting g2120 cpu? I am not that knowledgeable on motherboard and cpu. The rest... (more)

johnruth (Nov. 14, 2012 @ 7:12p) |

most of the SFF machines are using some laptop components, you should just get a laptop

skh12 (Nov. 15, 2012 @ 6:07a) |

It is the base 2011 mini with 2.3 i5 processor. Came w/ 4GB but seller had upgraded to 8GB.

ozoneraider (Nov. 15, 2012 @ 1:29p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Small form factor or SFF i would go with the Dell one. I would build one in my professional opinion but thats up to you (Computer Tech 8 years)

too much, i would never spend 400 bucks for an i3 especially if they have sandy bridge processor

Thanks. Look like this one is ordinary desktop. I really need a small size one considering might move out to to other country in 6 months.

Thanks for your professional advise. My budget is around 400 so maybe need to go for vostro 270?

Small case PC usually cost more. So you think not worth it.

Get this for $160
http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-Dual-Core-Barebone-Mini-PC-ZBOXSD-ID...

Get 4GB memory for about $30, look for SSD deals, it should run about $70.
Putting those inside is not a brain surgery, almost as easy as replacing a lightbulb.

And if you have an old PC with XP/Vista/Win7 sticker and reg key, get a Windows 8 upgrade for $40.

Total: $300

This little machine will fit all your basic computing needs.

Laptops are small factor and there are many on sale.

Acer Revo is also worth considering, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103468

We have one of the older, Atom-based 3610 models in the bedroom; attaches to the back of a monitor, great for web browsing, basic desktop functions, does a great job streaming video to the bedroom LCD display via HDMI.

Thanks for your advise. I actually consider that option but thinking the CPU is lot slower compare to I3, so I decide to look for small PC desktop.

If you are interested to build it yourself, shuttle makes some nice SFF barebones, for example NewEgg

If you're looking for something more like a nettop, I've been quite happy with the Foxconn NT-A3500. The AMD processor is A LOT more powerful than the atom (But considerably less powerful than an i3). However, this is a very, very light and portable system, likely as light or lighter than your keyboard!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119072&... Currently out of stock but similar items may be available elsewhere. The entire build should run you about $250.

Personally though, for travelling, a laptop still seems like the best option (for me). Not entirely sure what you need from a desktop. It sounds more like a personal preference to me. You can always pick up an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse for your laptop, and you've got something a lot more portable when you don't.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago, looking for a replacement for the wife's tower PC. After initialIy looking at small form factor PC's, I ended up buying her a used 2011 version Mac Mini on craigslist for $500. The price included a trackpad and 3-year Applecare warranty.

She is using it strictly as a Windows 7 machine via bootcamp. Be aware that the mini doesn't usually come with peripherals. I found that the Apple trackpad is not fully functional in windows and ended up buying a Logitech wireless mouse. On the other hand, the bluetooth Apple keyboard works great with windows. Pick up a monitor or use your old one and you're good to go.

I'm not sure if OP really knows what they want ... Newegg's shell-shocker earlier today was small form factor for $175 (case, ps, mb, ram, hd) ... I'm sure that there will be equally good deals w/in the month. Nowadays more and more people are choosing the mobile alternatives (using cellphone, linking to HDTV, etc.). Small sizes compromise the speed/$$$, some argue (I'm not getting into it) that the OS (Win, Mac, Android/Linux) also has an effect.

I am actually looking this for my wife use also. She used to have notebook at home and because notebook screen is lower than computer monitor, get neck had some pain all the time. So this time, I am more incline to have PC than notebook. Ozonraider has a point, mac mini will be more reliable than any Sff PC right?

mac mini is great but it does not have a built in optical drive, ?ethernet port but does have wifi, HDMI port and bluetooth.

Seem you really got a good deal. Good for you.

johnruth said:   I am actually looking this for my wife use also. She used to have notebook at home and because notebook screen is lower than computer monitor, get neck had some pain all the time. So this time, I am more incline to have PC than notebook. Ozonraider has a point, mac mini will be more reliable than any Sff PC right?

Why not just use a laptop with HDMI out (nearly all have this these days?) to a monitor and a wireless keyboard/mouse ? You're far more likely to find deals on a budget laptop setup than a budget desktop setup these days.

I am not sure I if I am right, benchmark of desktop is faster than same category laptop? I am almost going to buy Lenovo q180 at $299. But after I do homework reserching their benchmark, I realized nettop is the slowest then laptop, and the fastest is desktop.

I am not sure I if I am right, benchmark of desktop is faster than same category laptop? I am almost going to buy Lenovo q180 at $299. But after I do homework reserching their benchmark, I realized nettop is the slowest then laptop, and the fastest is desktop.

Well, what's the intended use of the machine ?

If it's just internet browsing, light applications, don't be so preoccupied with cpu speeds.

I can't recommend a SFF machine except for home media purposes, where a desktop would be visual blight and a laptop doesn't have the required drive bay space.

If you need something for gaming or video encoding and want to do it fast, a SFF will be very costly. A desktop is the way to go in this case.

Else, a budget laptop will do fine for general computing purposes.

Thanks. The machine is for office application, sometimes Photoshop, watching some movie that's it. Size does matter because it's gonna be going with us back Asia. I am considering notebook with extra keyboard and mouse and monitor, it just look kinda weird. I think even i3 will suffice my need.

Nettops / small form factor PCs are pretty much built like laptops these days, using CPUs and GPUs designed for laptops. The target audience for these is a small group, and they are generally not intended to replace laptops, but desktops.

For light Photoshop, office apps or movie watching the mini should be more than adequate especially if you upgrade the RAM to 8GB. As mentioned, the recent models do not have an optical drive. Apple sells an external one that would be fine for occasional use but if you expect to be needing it daily then you should probably consider getting a PC with one built in.

Thanks. What's your mini specs by the way. What price for core2duo mini consider bargain? I5 mini?

I would build an Intel G2120 if you have a MicroCenter around. ASRock makes some nice MiniITX motherboards. Grab 8GB of the Samsung 30nm DDR3. Antec ISK-110 case. Add a 2.5 SSD or Laptop Drive and you will have an great little machine for under $400.

Where can I got the mini itx motherboard fitting g2120 cpu? I am not that knowledgeable on motherboard and cpu. The rest is ok. Thanks for your advise.

most of the SFF machines are using some laptop components, you should just get a laptop

It is the base 2011 mini with 2.3 i5 processor. Came w/ 4GB but seller had upgraded to 8GB.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.