• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm finally giving up my 5 year old dumb phone for an iPhone 5. I'm going to stay with Verizon for service.
Has Verizon ever offered any sort of deals on the iPhone on Black Friday, or is the iPhone so popular that they don't have to?
Just wondering whether there would be any benefit to braving the crowds on Black Friday, or whether I should avoid purchasing then because the "deals" won't be any better than usual.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Apple has never offered a discount on its products, so if there is something it is from the retailer itself. A few years ago, Target had $40 gift cards on purchase of iPods, but they were a hot commodity back then. I really doubt there would be anything on the iPhone 5 since it is so new, you might get lucky on the 4s or the 4 since they want to get rid of that stock now. I ordered iPhone 5 for my wife about 10 days ago, still have to wait for another 10 days. So if you order around Black Friday you could potentially be waiting for a while. I know, it's like the weather man on TV.

Chances are slim to none there will be any discounts on the iPhone 5 before the end the year. Even then the most you could hope to save before the next iphone comes out is $50.

If you want to stick with Verizon, your best bet is to try and find a discount through one of Apple's iphone retailers like Best Buy and WalMart. If you feel like switching to Sprint, I believe you can get discounts through one of their Credit Union programs.

To vipercon's point, there is already talk of an iPhone 5S coming out in the spring to follow what many think to be Apple's new product cycle of twice a year releases, March and October (see ipad 3rd Gen and 4th Gen this year alone). If that's the case, the current Iphone 5 would probably drop by $100 on and off contract in the spring.

Are Verizon iPhone 5 unlocked? My friends say they are, but when I called Verizon they said they are locked.

I would check on www.apple.com on Black Friday. I think they will offer 10% off.

OP, you're in the driver's seat!

You're out of 2-year contract jail and they're offering you a shiny $550 phone for $200 and your signature.

Please, at least consider prepaid, no-contract options: most all have the iPhone 5!
So instead of signing a 24-month contract at $100+ monthly, consider a much lower, prepaid, monthly plan and simply buying an iPhone 5 for $550-$600 online.

If you really like Verizon's network, PagePlus is excellent.
http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Why%20Page%20Plus/Coverage%20Map...

Instead of bracing for a $50-$100 increase for 2 years and cell phone bill the size of a car payment, try a prepaid plan: PagePlus even gives prospective customers a service credit to try their service free.

Instead of getting a free bluetooth or a small gift card on Black Friday, save yourself a grand or two over the next 2 years.

Good luck to you!

hungngo83 said:   Are Verizon iPhone 5 unlocked? My friends say they are, but when I called Verizon they said they are locked.

The verizon iphone 5 is a world phone - CDMA and GSM besides LTO. The LTO sim slot is however unlocked as per law. The CDMA is not really locked, but the carrier will only accept their own CDMA devices - ie, Sprint even though uses CDMA, it will not activate a verizon iphone.

But, the SIM card slot is not locked. So, yes, you can put in a TMO or ATT SIM (cut it down to micro sim size) and it will work. But will only work in 3G. LTO bands are different between them. You should be able to take the phone to Europe, drop in a SIM card and use it that way, but again only at 3G speeds.

My .02...

ClearanceItem said:   OP, you're in the driver's seat!

You're out of 2-year contract jail and they're offering you a shiny $550 phone for $200 and your signature.

Please, at least consider prepaid, no-contract options: most all have the iPhone 5!
So instead of signing a 24-month contract at $100+ monthly, consider a much lower, prepaid, monthly plan and simply buying an iPhone 5 for $550-$600 online.

If you really like Verizon's network, PagePlus is excellent.
http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Why%20Page%20Plus/Coverage%20Map...

Instead of bracing for a $50-$100 increase for 2 years and cell phone bill the size of a car payment, try a prepaid plan: PagePlus even gives prospective customers a service credit to try their service free.

Instead of getting a free bluetooth or a small gift card on Black Friday, save yourself a grand or two over the next 2 years.

Good luck to you!

Couple of things to point out here...

* PagePlus uses verizon CDMA devices, so you will need a Verizon iPhone 5
* You can only buy a verizon iPhone 5 at full price but you still need to activate it and pay the first month at about $100
* You currently cannot buy an unlocked iPhone 5 - even if you could, you would be only able to buy a GSM device - only option would be ST

Verizon's Black Friday's deals are available on the various Black Friday adscan sites - The iPhone 4 is free and the 4S is around $99. No deals on the iPhone 5. I need to stick with Verizon's network as I often drive places for work which only have Verizon cell phone coverage (dead zones for the other providers). I'm not against the idea of a pre-paid plan because yes, I'm not looking forward to the increase in my monthly cell phone bill, but I want a 64 GB phone... and full price for that is way out of my price range. Does PagePlus operate on Verizon's LTE network? Or just the old, slower CDMA network? The LTE capability was one of the reasons I waited for the iPhone 5.

My old phone is picking up some bad habits - like dialing people in my contact list randomly, over and over again, so waiting until Spring isn't feasible (my contacts will kill me by then). Heck I waited 5 years for the iPhone 5 already, I don't want to wait any longer! There will always be something newer and better just around the corner no matter when I buy.

I guess I'll keep a close eye on Best Buy... and I guess WalMart too {shudders at the thought of BF crowds at WalMart}.

gooddealie said:   ...My old phone is picking up some bad habits - like dialing people in my contact list randomly, over and over again ...

Sure, blame it on the phone. We know it was you.

Just kidding, I get where you are coming from because DWs 5 yr old phone switches off by itself in the middle of a conv. Very annoying, cannot wait to get the iPhone 5.

gooddealie said:   ...{shudders at the thought of BF crowds at WalMart}.
I second that! Any savings you may get (I doubt there will be any for a 64GB iPhone 5) would be negated by risking your life at WalMart on BF.

The downside of Pageplus is that they charge you for roaming roaming fee in the table here. The beauty of pageplus is the savings (cell phone + 24 monthly wireless bills) you get over the life of a 2 year contract you'd have to sign at one of the major carriers. PagePlus unlimited talk/text and 2GB data is $55/mo, so multiply $55 by 24 months plus the cost of the phone and you save almost $1000 over 2 years compared to a similar plan at Verizon. Some people don't care, but I'm going to have to use a phone for the rest of my life and if I live another 60 years, that's $30,000 saved over my remaining lifetime. Yes I know things can and will change in the future, but all I can do is estimate based on what we know now.

Just bought a verizon iphone 5 with the specific intention of cancelling and paying the ETF. At $600 for a unlocked iphone 5 ($200 + $350 etf + act/upgrade and tax's) it's not a bad deal compared to what they are selling for online. The Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked and it will happily work on AT&T via Straight Talk (3G speeds). If you aren't a big data user Straight Talk is a excellent price point and since it has no contract might be worth trying a month in your area just to see what it's like on one of their free phones (free with $45 unlimited plan card purchase for the month).

foglem said:   Just bought a verizon iphone 5 with the specific intention of cancelling and paying the ETF. At $600 for a unlocked iphone 5 ($200 + $350 etf + act/upgrade and tax's) it's not a bad deal compared to what they are selling for online. The Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked and it will happily work on AT&T via Straight Talk (3G speeds). If you aren't a big data user Straight Talk is a excellent price point and since it has no contract might be worth trying a month in your area just to see what it's like on one of their free phones (free with $45 unlimited plan card purchase for the month).

not sure about 14 day return policy, so maybe you can shed some light on this -

cancel BEFORE 14 days = Verizon requires you send the phone back (get a refund), no ETF fee or charge for 1st month's service BUT you get charged a restocking fee? Do you get a refund on the activation/upgrade fee?

cancel AFTER 14 days = keep the phone, pay ETF fee, no refund on activation/upgrade fee, PLUS you get charged one month's service?

gooddealie said:   ... but I want a 64 GB phone... and full price for that is way out of my price range. Does PagePlus operate on Verizon's LTE network? Or just the old, slower CDMA network? The LTE capability was one of the reasons I waited for the iPhone 5.

You are SOL then, prepare to be owned by Verizon and Apple. These are premium features that suckers are lining up to pay. BF or not, neither Verizon nor Apple have any incentives to discount them.

Just curious. Why do you want a 64 GB phone? Do you have that much media to carry around with you? Also, is LTE speed a requirement? I am perfectly happy with 3G speed on iPhone 4S. It streams music, even Netflix. If you are saying that a lot of places you drive have no coverage except for Verizon, I doubt they will have LTE speeds there.

Just do some research before signing up for another mortgage.

The new Iphones are not discounted at all. So dont expect any deals on an iphone5. Regarding LTE >>> Once you get used to the faster 4G LTE speeds, then there is no turning back. Check it out, you will see the noticeable difference. It's upto the user again, some want the fastest and greatest speeds. One of my friends is planning to get the 64GB. His reasoning was - his large collection of music and his iphone replacing his camera, so he wud be taking lot of pics with the 8MP which obviously will be larger images.

aleck said:   gooddealie said:   ... but I want a 64 GB phone... and full price for that is way out of my price range. Does PagePlus operate on Verizon's LTE network? Or just the old, slower CDMA network? The LTE capability was one of the reasons I waited for the iPhone 5.

You are SOL then, prepare to be owned by Verizon and Apple. These are premium features that suckers are lining up to pay. BF or not, neither Verizon nor Apple have any incentives to discount them.

Just curious. Why do you want a 64 GB phone? Do you have that much media to carry around with you? Also, is LTE speed a requirement? I am perfectly happy with 3G speed on iPhone 4S. It streams music, even Netflix. If you are saying that a lot of places you drive have no coverage except for Verizon, I doubt they will have LTE speeds there.

Just do some research before signing up for another mortgage.

you guys are touching on how to get the best deal, but you are missing it.
the best deal is to buy verizon iphone 5, least amount of data for 1 month, cancel after 14 days,
pay 200+tax iphone, 350etf, 80 for one month service, = 630+12tax = 642!!!

now goto tmobile, get free nanosim card, sign up,
im doing 3 of these with 1000 min, unlimited text, 2gb data EACH line at 4g then unlimited at 3g
one unit a hotspot, all for 99.99 a month!!!

so when you total this up for 2 yrs of service and include phone, you save $2000 plus
and then you keep your phones in good condition and sell on eBay you can prob get $350 each for them, unlocked!

this is lower than what Virgin Mobile is selling at with iphone 4s on 3g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now you get it!!!

tony

oh i forgot to add the taxes are only $11 a month with tmobile vs 20 or so with most of the rest of the carriers
save $200 plus there too!
it all adds up FAST!
spreadsheet it!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014