Google Fiber now available in KS

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The Shipping and Handle of all those super fast bits to CA kills the deal for me.

Can someone enlighten me on how they picked KS?

Dil

Dilbertic said:   Can someone enlighten me on how they picked KS?

Dil

KS is picked up for many experiments, good or bad. Walgreens exprimented their rewards point system in KS last year.

Kansas City, Kansas offered them a ton of incentives to be the test market. They were given a space to let people test out the speed and ask general questions about it for free which is nice.

I think around 1,000 communities signed up to be the first community to have it installed in, but KC was chosen. Originally it was only supposed to be Kansas City, Kansas but a few weeks after they announced who would be the pilot, Kansas City, Missouri was announced that it would also be included.

We live in a neighborhood that has the fiber installed and can't wait for it to

Wow that's some great pron download speed.

KC rocks! its just great

I use Metamucil.

Talk about incentives.
Donít be evil.

I would love to see Google start to take down the monster ISP's overcharging for their speeds.. They need to get onboard this ship like many other countries are on.. Want $60/mo for internet? Give me 100mbps, minimum.

Internet charges are ridiculously high with AT&T and Comcast without the promotional offers. For google, the free internet plan is 5Mbps download. Though one time fee of 300$ is charged it is still cheap than what i am paying today for a whole year. Also they promise to keep it free for atleast 7 years. I hope they expand faster.

Dilbertic said:   Can someone enlighten me on how they picked KS?

Dil

It was some sort of a submitting-applications/contest/bidding type thing where the cities had to first apply (when Google invited applications quite sometime back) and there by Cities had to meet some minimum criteria and be willing to offer certain things. At the end of this application/bidding phase Google selected KS to be their 1st test-bed. It appears the city administration is well networked with a forward thinking mindset to be landing all these test beds from different companies.

About $3.60 a month for 5mb download is not bad at all. You just need to be sure you're going to be in your house for 7 years. If you move out of the area, you are out some money, assuming that they have not expanded the service.

Really interested in how much they expand after a few years. Any projections made yet about other test markets?

It's good to be a Kansan these days between the free internet and K-State being #1 in College Football.

Google is changing the behavior of consumers who are used to seeing an inflated monthly price but no upfront cost. In most countries around the world, the concept of contracts for cellphones, satellite tv, etc. just doesn't exist. You pay for the equipment upfront and then you pay for the service. You don't like it, you get out without hassles.

I like how Google is expanding itself into real things unlike facebook.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014