Cheapest Water Filtration; Berkey?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Good afternoon fatwallet,

I live in Arizona and the tap water here is terrible, tastes like pool water. I find buying bottled water cost prohibitive. I tried zerowater filters, and they only last me like 2-3 weeks making them almost as expensive as bottled water. I have used pur and britta filters in the past too, but they also aren't too cheap (but better than zerowater) and don't seem to yield as good of taste of Zerowater or bottled water. I looked into delivered water and that is probably the most expensive option. I rent my house, so I do not water an under the sink option.

So, in my research I found a product called Berkey water filtration systems. I am on the fence about trying them since they have a lot of up front cost. I am concerned about their performance (as good as bottled or zerowater, mostly for taste not health) and their reliability. They are rated for 6000x gallons (3000 each filter). $100 per set of filters = 1.67 cents per gallon which is amazingly cheap. Another fun fact is they can take non-potable water, perhaps a good emergency tool too. Anyone have an experiences with this product?

The cheapest I found it was on Air-n-water.com. With coupon ANW200 it is $206 shipped. I have never heard of the site which is another issue, might be worth it to pay $231 and get it from Amazon on prime.

Also, I want to ask, is there anything I have not yet thought of?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I looked at, seemed pretty neat for going camping but I am really not trying to turn non-potable water into drinkable wa... (more)

Klauven (Nov. 15, 2012 @ 3:34p) |

costco.com - Watts 5 stage RO System - $150

DjScibbity (Nov. 15, 2012 @ 4:03p) |

Don't they have filtered water machines at grocery stores that you can use to fill up your own containers, for about 50 ... (more)

Psycho41 (Nov. 15, 2012 @ 6:56p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I wonder of you would be interested in looking into a counter top distiller. Sears sells one - and I suppose others too. Your costs, in addition to the distiller itself, are the electricity it needs and carbon filter replacements. The heat it creates is a bonus here in the Northeast but probably not for you. But distilled water is good quality, of course, and once you've invested in the distiller you don't have much more to pay for.

Just a cursory look at water distillers on Amazon isn't encouraging. 700 Watts seems like a lot but I guess it depends on the through rate whether it is cost effective. You are correct, 9 months out of the year I am not looking to add any heat to the house.

The Stainless Berkey with the black purifiers (Not the British Berkey)was the best I found after much research. I got a good price somewhere on eBay. I wouldn't get the plastic Berkey due to extra chemicals. The Black Berkey purifiers (better han filters due to 99.99% removal impurities)
with the optional P-4 Fluoride filters will even remove radioactive elements.

The only downside to Berkey is it won't fit under most kitchen cabnets

Yea, I understand plastic can leach chemicals but I figured I would be passing the water through so quickly it would not matter that much. It cannot be worse than bottled water which sits in those containers for weeks or months with a lower quality plastic. Also, my primary desire is for low cost good tasting water. I like that the plastic Berkey Light is see through, giving visual indications of when it needs to be filled. I also think the stainless steel ones look like coffee dispensers.

Well I fear you would regret it if you follow the typical learning curve of health conscious people http://www.rodale.com/chemicals-plastic
Even the plastic is much better than most tap water. After a couple years more research you'll be starting your own farm and drinking only well water using only iron pots, glass containers, turbo convection ovens instead of microwaves, purchasing radon & EMF detectors... at least thats my story through this matrix

Klauven said:   Yea, I understand plastic can leach chemicals but I figured I would be passing the water through so quickly it would not matter that much. It cannot be worse than bottled water which sits in those containers for weeks or months with a lower quality plastic. Also, my primary desire is for low cost good tasting water. I like that the plastic Berkey Light is see through, giving visual indications of when it needs to be filled. I also think the stainless steel ones look like coffee dispensers.

If i ever go on a health craze, smoking and drinking would be first on the list.

I have a Brita pitcher and I refill the filter part with activated carbon I buy at WallyWorld for about $7. For $7 I can empty and refill the filter about 5 times.

Here is a link with pictures and instructions:

How to refill a "disposable" Brita water pitcher filter with activated carbon.

I've had this RO for 6 plus years and love it. I have it at sink and connected to Fridge/Ice maker. I change prefilters about 6 to 8 months at a cost of about $20 each time. I have not had to replace Membrane yet.
[L=http://shop.purepro.net/acatalog/RO101SV.html

sqeekytight said:   I've had this RO for 6 plus years and love it. I have it at sink and connected to Fridge/Ice maker. I change prefilters about 6 to 8 months at a cost of about $20 each time. I have not had to replace Membrane yet.

I briefly looked at Reverse Osmosis filtration for a short while and if I remember correctly, most were water wasters but not the greatest of ratios (3:1?).

OP - Is there something seriously -wrong- with your water, or have you just moved in and are not used to the 'different' taste? My water seemed...ummm..flavorful when I moved from the city to a Special Utility District 2yrs ago. They include a chemical, mineral and pollutant summary in the water bill every 6 months or so, giving me a long list of 'trace elements' and how the detected percentages are below established standards for human health. Have you seen such from your utility that you could read and digest?

My point is, after 2 yrs, I can pretty easily drink it straight from the tap with no real notice, so what I thought was 'different' is the new normal for me.

Logan71 said:   sqeekytight said:   I've had this RO for 6 plus years and love it. I have it at sink and connected to Fridge/Ice maker. I change prefilters about 6 to 8 months at a cost of about $20 each time. I have not had to replace Membrane yet.

I briefly looked at Reverse Osmosis filtration for a short while and if I remember correctly, most were water wasters but not the greatest of ratios (3:1?).

OP - Is there something seriously -wrong- with your water, or have you just moved in and are not used to the 'different' taste? My water seemed...ummm..flavorful when I moved from the city to a Special Utility District 2yrs ago. They include a chemical, mineral and pollutant summary in the water bill every 6 months or so, giving me a long list of 'trace elements' and how the detected percentages are below established standards for human health. Have you seen such from your utility that you could read and digest?

My point is, after 2 yrs, I can pretty easily drink it straight from the tap with no real notice, so what I thought was 'different' is the new normal for me.

There are some counter top RO units that are easily hooked up to the tap and make 30-100 gallons per day. Yes you waste 3-4 gallons for every gallon of filtered water but the cost of the wasted water is small compared to the cost of bottled water. People have many uses for the waste water from watering plants/garden to flushing the toilet/washing clothes etc.. If you made five gallons of drinking water you're going to waste around 15-20 gallons. Thats about the same as taking a 10-20 minute shower depending on the shower head used so they are very cost effective and the water is about as good as it gets. Also keep in mind that tap water quality can change daily so what a test said six months ago or six days ago isn't always that accurate, With RO system as long as they are maintained you get the same water quality all the time.

Its better to take mineral water to keep care of your health.

If you want to filter out the bad things and not just treat it for taste like a brita, I recommend this product. It has a 1 million gallon guarantee.

http://familystorehouse.net/water-treatment/water-treatment-syst...

This awesome product from Sawyer is simply the best portable water treatment system that we have ever seen. We have tried many of the “pump style” filters over the years. When we found this product it was a dream come true. No more replacing expensive filters after every 500 gallons of use and no more pumping. Simply fill the grey bag with 4 liters of water and let gravity take over filtering the water into the blue bag. The whole process takes less than 3 minutes. This product comes with a lifetime guarantee and will filter up to 1 million gallons of water. (No, we didn’t actually try filtering 1 million gallons, but we could have).
Watch the short, 2 minute video for a full demonstration of how easy and fast it is.
It’s also a great gift for any outdoor enthusiast. Hey, a product this good shouldn’t just sit with your emergency supplies!

Details:

Capacity: 4 Liters
Weight: 20 ounces
Flow Rate: 4 Liters in under 6 minutes
Removes: Bacteria and Protoza
Life Expectancy: 1 Million Gallons

Each filter is certified for ABSOLUTE microns; that means there is no pore size larger than 0.1 or 0.02 micron in size. This makes it impossible for harmful bacteria, protozoa, or cysts like E. coli, Giradia, Vibrio cholerae and Salmonella typhi (which cause Cholera and Typhoid) to pass through the Sawyer PointONE™ biological filter. At 7 log (99.99999%) the filter attains the highest level of filtration available today.

If you are OK with the tast of what comes out of a Britta or Pur filter, go to your favorite home store and buy something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100471282/h_d2/ProductDi...

Get one with a carbon filter as that is basically what a Britta pitcher is. There are both under sink versions that are easy to connect to your flex lines, or whole house versions. I put one in my basement in the lines leading up to the kitchen sink and ice maker. It is over the laundry tub so it is easy to dump the water when you do a filter change. My water is fine, but I used to have a lot of galvanized pipe in the house. I would get rust, so I put the filter into the newer copper lines that feed the kitchen. $20, an hour or two of time and you are done.

i've learnedd quite a bit from this thread. i just went to the berkey website and found out that they can't sell their products in CA! link

i didn't see any sales restriction when i added the berkey water filter unit sold by a 3rd party on Amazon. i wonder if they'll ship to CA? anyone in CA own one?

we just cancelled our delivered bottle water service after 20 years. my wife insisted we get it back when hen my kids were born. i've been using an everpure sytem and britas but always looking into other alternatives. my wife still buys gallons of bottled water on sale and cases of drinking water.

Well, I went with the Berkey Light. I found an open box Berkey Light on BetterHealthInnovations.com that was $165 after coupon "back2school" I just hope they don't cancel my order saying the coupon was old or that there are no coupons on their outlet items.

My MIL bought us a stainless Berkey...it is absolutely awesome. It does take up a bit of room on the counter, but the taste is unmatched. It also makes great water for Komboucha Tea..

This does nothing for taste, It only filters possible harmful bacteria that may be present. Good for hiking etc... for emergency use.

rshaslam said:   If you want to filter out the bad things and not just treat it for taste like a brita, I recommend this product. It has a 1 million gallon guarantee.

LLLosingit said:   This does nothing for taste, It only filters possible harmful bacteria that may be present. Good for hiking etc... for emergency use.

rshaslam said:   If you want to filter out the bad things and not just treat it for taste like a brita, I recommend this product. It has a 1 million gallon guarantee.

I looked at, seemed pretty neat for going camping but I am really not trying to turn non-potable water into drinkable water, I am trying to eliminate the the chemical taste from my municipal water.

costco.com - Watts 5 stage RO System - $150

Don't they have filtered water machines at grocery stores that you can use to fill up your own containers, for about 50 cents a gallon? Has OP considered those?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014