Cardpool "gift cards" ... FYI

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I ordered from Cardpool for the first time selecting 5 retail store "gift cards". The invoice states "gift cards". The web site description for the 5 cards state "gift cards" but when receiving them only 2 of them are gift cards, the other 3 are B&M merchandise return cards.

B&M merchandise return cards are not great to use when buying open box / display items at an extra discount -- things that may show defective within the first 30 days and require a refund or exchange. A return customer doing a return with a return is a red flag that can cut off generous offers.

True gift cards can offer more respect and real world benefits.

There appears to be no way to know when ordering at Cardpool if you are actually buying a gift card, or not.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

huh? Why would you disclose your method of payment before the transaction? If you are getting any extra discounts, it should not be (I would even say it's illegal) tied to the method of payment, the exception being an advertised 'cash discount'.

For me its usually pretty easy to tell which ones are the merch credits at Cardpool. If its for some random amount (ie: 43.87) then there's a pretty good chance its a merch credit. if its for a even amount (ie: $25.00) then its more likely a gift card.

I don't know that I agree with the argument about getting red flagged for doing a return with a merch credit. Do most companies actually cross reference the original payment type?

rsuaver said:   huh? Why would you disclose your method of payment before the transaction?

It will be on the receipt. It is usually an early question -- do you have your receipt? It is part of training because if the receipt has a service plan on it, a manager is supposed to bend over backwards to make the customer very happy.

Yes, you could ask for a generous solution after saying you have no receipt, but more likely than not it will be worse than using the receipt showing a merch return card as the method of payment.

durin said:   For me its usually pretty easy to tell which ones are the merch credits at Cardpool...

This is a great tip.

durin said:   I don't know that I agree with the argument about getting red flagged for doing a return with a merch credit. Do most companies actually cross reference the original payment type?

I was not saying the store's computer system would add the account to a blacklist -- which may be a valid concern -- I was saying that the manager helping you with a defective product, standing in front of you holding your receipt in-hand will be less likely to offer a generous solution. The obvious generous solution would be for them to substitute a new product perhaps transferred in from another store for the defective open box item while honoring the original price paid. This is a difference between a respectable someone-loves-you gift card customer and a lowly previously-had-no-receipt merchandise return card customer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014