Newegg faking egg ratings on product pages now?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:

Newegg product page - four eggs
Disclaimer

Newegg review page - should be three eggs
Disclaimer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215389

I was looking at this laptop earlier today. It showed three eggs. I don't have a screencap of that. It had two reviews, one one egg, one five eggs. Which averages out to three eggs.

Look at it now, it still shows the same two reviews, but it shows four eggs on the product page, when the two reviews don't average out to that.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
What did you RMA?

NoCollegeForMe (Nov. 18, 2012 @ 5:56p) |

But recently Newegg has been exaggerating regular prices on a scale approaching CyberRebate's. Remember them?

larrymoencurly (Nov. 20, 2012 @ 12:09a) |

Some customers write reviews that aren't based on the very product they discuss, like the person who apparently disliked... (more)

larrymoencurly (Nov. 30, 2012 @ 1:56p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Please save these screencaps, or make your own quickly, before they fix this issue!

Is that the most important thing you have to worry about today? There are two reviews. If you really want the computer there are other places to find reviews.

You don't care at all about the integrity of Newegg's reviews and egg ratings shown next to the product, to help you make decision whether or not to purchase something?

Would you care if they were censoring reviews?

and you have their formula for calculating ""average"" rating?

lordoffire said:   and you have their formula for calculating ""average"" rating?

Good point. There are different kinds of " averages" such as median, mode and mean. I'm sure the OP will get cracking on googling the meanings of those.

I wouldn't have bought it at 3 eggs, but 4 eggs is right up my alley. Shut up and take my money!!!

There might be a pending review which has not been posted yet but has at least 4 eggs.

It looks like Op has a lot of critics. I haven't had a Math class recently, but I believe the Mean , Median and Mode would all be 3.

Newegg doesn't give you the Option of rating without submitting a review do they?

Otherwise, I don't see any way to justify a rating of 4.


Edit: There would be no mode in this data set.

I'll admit it does seem like their calculations are a bit odd looking, but I would not give very much consideration when there are so few reviews anyway.

--

holiday42 said:   I'll admit it does seem like their calculations are a bit odd looking, but I would not give very much consideration when there are so few reviews anyway.

--



This isn't the point. When it's so obvious what the rating should be, why is it wrong? When there are 5 reviews is the star rating accurate? Who knows...

StartByServingOthers said:   It looks like Op has a lot of critics. I haven't had a Math class recently, but I believe the Mean , Median and Mode would all be 3.

Newegg doesn't give you the Option of rating without submitting a review do they?

Otherwise, I don't see any way to justify a rating of 4.


Mode = must common number in a sequence

Median = arrange numbers from lowest to highest so the one in the middle is the median

Mean = add up all the numbers and divide by number of entries

Agree...this thread/OP's topic is silly at best. Reviews can be (and often are) skewed on many websites.

If one is considering a product...take reviews/ratings from multiple sources. You can then deduce your own "average" consensus/review of a product...based on a pattern. Many more times than not...they'll be one.

R4M0N said:   I wouldn't have bought it at 3 eggs, but 4 eggs is right up my alley. Shut up and take my money!!!I read the reviews because they don't always match the egg or star ratings, and I've seen 4-5 egg ratings with comments that were more critical than those in 2-3 egg ratings.

I don't think Newegg has deleted any of the dozens of reviews I've written, maybe because they know everybody ignores me.

I definitely think that Newegg skews reviews. That's why I always read through the reviews to see what people actually say. I've had an instance where I bought something with one good review. I thought the product deserved a bad review, so posted one. The average came out with one egg ahead, but I write it off as roundoff error. Then the guy who posted the first good review posted a second stellar review saying I was wrong in my review. Out of nowhere a second guy came in with another 5 star review stating he couldn't reproduce the problem I saw (with no other insight on the product). I went back a few months later to find real buyers posting bad reviews yet the average never added up.

Morale of the story: Don't just depend on the "eggs" Newegg gives. If you read through the reviews, you can pick out reviews that are actually praising/critiquing the product, and you can pick out the reviews that are fanboys/fake.

Looks like they weight them according to how many users find an item helpful. I think this is a logical system.

That appears to be the same chassis as the Acer TimelineX which was a laptop I owned and was of superb quality and build also really great battery life, 5-6 hours on full brightness. Mine drowned in the trunk of my car, totally submerged.

Edit: Looked at a picture of the box and that is a TimelineX, my review still stands.

Edit 2: Reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-TimelineX-AS4830T-6642-14-Inch-Alumin...

LetsGoMets1 said:   StartByServingOthers said:   It looks like Op has a lot of critics. I haven't had a Math class recently, but I believe the Mean , Median and Mode would all be 3.

Newegg doesn't give you the Option of rating without submitting a review do they?

Otherwise, I don't see any way to justify a rating of 4.


Mode = must common number in a sequence

Median = arrange numbers from lowest to highest no the one in the middle is the median

Mean = add up all the numbers and divide by number of entries


Yes I know this. What I forgot is that you don't do any sort of averaging when there are two most common numbers. You would not consider there to be a mode since no numbers repeat. In such a small data set, it is a useless number.

The mean and median are both 3, although taking a median of only 2 numbers is somewhat strange.



Table83's idea of them weighting it by helpfulness seems plausible, but I bet it doesn't drop to two stars if this situation is reversed. I marked the low rating as helpful, and the high rating as not helpful. (I had to sign in).
I encourage anyone else that's curious to do the same.

unnamedny said:   There might be a pending review which has not been posted yet but has at least 4 eggs.

right on!

It now has 2 5 egg reviews and 1 1 egg, which does average out to 4 eggs (I guess they round up). One of the 5 eggs was posted yesterday.

billrubin said:   It now has 2 5 egg reviews and 1 1 egg, which does average out to 4 eggs (I guess they round up). One of the 5 eggs was posted yesterday.
That would seem to confirm unnamedny's earlier comment ("There might be a pending review which has not been posted yet but has at least 4 eggs.")

My Advice do your own research and read the reviews I have see people take a star away for stupid reasons use your own judgment and check other sites for reviews

holiday42 said:   I'll admit it does seem like their calculations are a bit odd looking, but I would not give very much consideration when there are so few reviews anyway.

--


Yes when N=2 is not exactly a good representation of the universe. I still would not buy something if the two reviews gave it a "5".

I'd like to say that Newegg is actually one of the few merchants who have verified owner reviews. Amazon has so many faulty review it seems like it's already a huge industry planting reviews for money everywhere.

Well, now the reviews (all three of them now) do seem to average out correctly. It does not appear that they are weighted by the thumbs up/down each review gets, IMHO.

Whether this was some sort of caching issue, I don't know. But it sure did have the illusion of impropriety. Newegg should fix their caching issues, and not update the main product egg count, until all reviews are properly posted to read.

Probably just waiting for the 3rd review to be posted. When you give a review, it's not posted right away on the site. It takes a few hours to a day before the review is posted. I've experienced this first hand with reviews I've made on Newegg. They go up, but there is a delay between my writing a review, and it posting on the site.

No Conspiracy here.

It's all about ratings


Newegg's $130 "savings on Windows 8 Pro Upgrade
Disclaimer
Newegg is definitely faking "normal" prices. In one case they said a $250 small TV's normal price was $321, but the manufacturer offered it directly from them fo $250, and currently they're saying Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $69.99 is a $130 savings. link

Sales claiming regular price which is msrp is the oldest retail game going

I won't buy from Newegg any longer because of their miserable RMA process. I fortunately have not been but by it but I have three coworkers that bought motherboard and CPU combos from Newegg, found out the motherboard was defective, sent it back for exchange and Newegg tells them they broke it by bending the pins on the motherboard.

The reviews on the site are filled with the same complaint.

I won't buy from them anymore; it's not worth the risk. I'd rather buy from a local company like MicroCenter that has similar or better prices that won't stick it to me if something turns out to be defective.

NoCollegeForMe said:   I won't buy from Newegg any longer because of their miserable RMA process. I fortunately have not been but by it but I have three coworkers that bought motherboard and CPU combos from Newegg, found out the motherboard was defective, sent it back for exchange and Newegg tells them they broke it by bending the pins on the motherboard.

The reviews on the site are filled with the same complaint.

I won't buy from them anymore; it's not worth the risk. I'd rather buy from a local company like MicroCenter that has similar or better prices that won't stick it to me if something turns out to be defective.

Went through RMA process less than a month ago, they asked for pictures before proceeding, but it was fairly painless.
TV damaged during shipping. They wanted pics to see if they could start a claim with the shipper. They said the pics didn't show enough damage to warrant beginning a claim against the shipper. Shipped it back on their dime and they shipped me a replacement after they got it with no additional cost to me.

What did you RMA?

Vmlinux said:   Sales claiming regular price which is msrp is the oldest retail game goingBut recently Newegg has been exaggerating regular prices on a scale approaching CyberRebate's. Remember them?

Some customers write reviews that aren't based on the very product they discuss, like the person who apparently disliked all Seagate drives therefore gave low ratings based on problems with the model 7200.11, even for completely different models. And recently I saw this review about an MSI motherboard:

"Cons: doesn't have pci-e 3
doesn't allow CPU's manual voltage control and only has 4+1 power phase

Other Thoughts: it's currently the cheapest z77 mobo, so yeah it worth's the money."


But that product actually does have a pci-e 3 slot, and it's not a Z77 but a Z68, specifically model Z68A-G43(G3).



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014