Declaring "Tech Bankruptcy" just before BF

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
My house is a mess, and it's full of old technology. I have a bunch of old laptops, desktops, and a closet full of junk (what we used to call "cruft") that I'll likely never use again.

I'd like to get rid of all my old tech and start all over again, keeping only my brand new iPad HD and my year-old Lenovo Z570 laptop -- and transferring the contents of all the hard drives, USB sticks, etc. onto the new computer(s). (I suppose there are two 22" monitors that could make the transition with me, but everything else will get donated once it's wiped; the 17" VGA monitor simply doesn't cut it anymore.)

What should I get on Black Friday, and how should I go about it? I feel like I need at least two desktops and one additional laptop/Chromebook, along with a bunch of accessories to bring me up to speed for 2012. I'm willing to spend (the FW way, anyway) but I want to make a major update and simply leave everything else behind.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

befalas said:   

What should I get on Black Friday, and how should I go about it?

BOGO on puppies and kittens. Suggest store pick-up.

Thanks, but my question was actually serious. If you wanted to go "zero to sixty" on tech using BF, how would you do it?

befalas said:   If you wanted to go "zero to sixty" on tech using BF, how would you do it?

Search the forums....fast.

Since you don't need to keep the hard drive active, I'd just get a Sata to USB adapter for all the hard drives, plug it into the laptop, then transfer away.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156034

That's an excellent idea, and one I certainly hadn't thought of. Thanks!

befalas said:   That's an excellent idea, and one I certainly hadn't thought of. Thanks!

You're very welcome.

Doesn't really make sense, if you aren't using the stuff now, how exactly are you going to fully utilize these new replacements? They start becoming old tech as soon as you take them home, so you are just repeating the same scenario again. Might as well replace them when you need it or there is actually an extremely good deal on it, which with FW is not limited to BF.

Wait and see whatcha need to buy.

Just walk into any of the big box stores, hand your credit card to a clerk, and follow their advice. You'll be well taken care of.

Make the move to Windows 8 with a Lenovo Twist or Yoga and match it with a HTC X or Nokia 920 if you game get the xbox and you are all set. You will be able to dock the Lenovo and will not need to buy 3 separated computers. You will have a great tablet, laptop and desktop.

Unclutter yourself - get only what you need and when you need it as a must have - avoid impulse buys, specially on technology, and specially on BF "deals". What good is a deal when you buy it for the sake of being a deal, but dont actually have a need for it .....

Pace yourself and get the best of what you can afford, not just because something is being offered at a lower price.

just my 2 cents

If you need desktops, build them, don't buy the lumps of crap that pre-builders want to sell you.

You need iPhone5, definitely a Microsoft Surface, a new Kindle Fire. While you are at it, get yourself a $3K gaming PC and stock up on Black Ops 2, new Medal of Honor game, I am sure there will be other BF game sales. Oh, don't forget Wii U. This will definitely bring you "up to speed for 2012"

In 2013 you'll have to get all new gear, but that's the price to pay for being current.

Troll much? your not even the least bit funny either

respdoc said:   befalas said:   

What should I get on Black Friday, and how should I go about it?

BOGO on puppies and kittens. Suggest store pick-up.

respdoc said:   befalas said:   If you wanted to go "zero to sixty" on tech using BF, how would you do it?

Search the forums....fast.

Searching the forums before asking questions is a lost art. People nowadays just want handouts without doing any work.

ducky51 said:   Troll much?

Yes, viewing your past posts...it appears you troll quite a bit.

Don't ask stupid questions..you won't get stupid answers. Try it sometime.

respdoc said:   ducky51 said:   Troll much?

Yes, viewing your past posts...it appears you troll quite a bit.

Don't ask stupid questions..you won't get stupid answers. Try it sometime.

Let's try to be a little nicer here folks. No need to be rude to others in the community.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014