T-Mobile Dishonest Pricing On New Contract

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
So, after years of month-month plan using an old phone, I decided to embrace myself to the latest technological advance in telecommunication by verbally agreeing on the phone to a new 2-year contract with T-Mobile. This new contract promised me 4 new Samsung Galaxy S3 phones including unlimited text and internet for $145/month. On top of this, I also must pay $100 per phone for the 4 phones I got. So, the total amount due on the first billing cycle would be $545, and subsequent monthly statements would be $145/month. Fast forward to now, I received the first monthly payment for $1808. Shockingly, I called T-Mobile Customer Service to inquire about the charges. After about an hour on the phone, the new rep could only seem to bring down the charge on the first monthly statement to $812, and subsequent monthly statement around $220. I was told by the rep there was nothing else she could do to recreate the figures I was quoted for initially. Obviously, this is fraud to me. My question is: who and how do I escalate this to? Thank!

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

do you have paperwork from the original deal?

miserly said:   do you have paperwork from the original deal?

Unfortunately, deal was made verbally through customer service rep on the phone when I called to inquire on new plans.

There's no paperwork from agreeing to a new contract over the phone... It really is strange that it is common practice, plus they send you to an automated message about new contract agreements. Wow that plan sounds so cheap for unlimited calling and text for four lines, and they didnt make you get a data plan or fill out a rebate form. I hope you remember the name of the rep that you talked to, they always say that he/she is the only person that can verify what was said. I don't believe its true myself, but that was their excuse everytime I called them. I have an inkling that the call was recorded, demand that they review what was said over the phone. My advice is to don't give up until they honor your agreement, keep asking for their supervisors. Keep calling everyday if you have to, Tmobile customer service is in fourth place for a reason, they got rid of all the good workers during their reorganization to be bought out. They really need to hire some new management to focus on customer service, and not their bottom line. They got some nice free things from the ATT failure, put some investment back in Tmobile....
Don't let them take advantage of you even though there's no paperwork, stand firm, and demand what they promised, or allow you to cancel without penalty and move on.

If there's no paperwork they can't hold you to the contract, plus, I do believe T-Mobile has a 30 day return / cancellation window. Worst-case scenario seems you return the phones and pay nothing...

She got the first bill. means she already passed the 30 days window.
and BTW its not 30 days anymore, only 14 days to return the phone, 14 calendar days not business days.

I would say ask them to provide you the recordings of your initial conversation. they always record the call for training purposes. ask them to find and listen to the recording for your initial conversation. thats your last option.

byteless said:   I would say ask them to provide you the recordings of your initial conversation. they always record the call for training purposes. ask them to find and listen to the recording for your initial conversation. thats your last option.

Just to clarify something, I wasn't talking to an automate recording of any sort, I actually spoke to a live customer service rep on the phone about the contract. And I'm pretty sure she must have recorded in her system at the time. My question is who (department head of...) or what department should I escalate this to so the contract can be honored in its original offers or canceled without penalty in worst case scenario? Does anyone know the contact info of the top guy at T-Mobile. I seem to remember there was a thread on info of top companies. Thanks!

ureach888 said:    Does anyone know the contact info of the top guy at T-Mobile.

You want to speak with the CEO of T-Mobile in regards to your contract ? Good luck with that.

my balance due was also not what was promised. But I made the deal at a local TMobile store, had the name of the rep.
I called the rep and he called me back to explain that the discounts were not yet applied. So I am waiting to see if the discounts get applied properly. He sounded confident the discounts would occur. I have to wait and see.

my balance due was also not what was promised. But I made the deal at a local TMobile store, had the name of the rep.
I called the rep and he called me back to explain that the discounts were not yet applied. So I am waiting to see if the discounts get applied properly. He sounded confident the discounts would occur. I have to wait and see.

Something similar happened to my roommate.
He ordered a "two phones for one" (both $49) contract via phone at T-Mobile and was supposed to get another $100 back in form of a prepaid credit card. That´s what the website and the rep on the phone said. When he got the first bill they wanted him to pay one of the phones in full ($399). He called T-Mobile and even got them to replay the recording that proved he was right but all they said that there was a mistake and couldn´t do anything. He would have to pay. One week later he got a letter from T-Mobile stating that his phone wasn´t eligable for the $100 prepaid credit card. No he just stopped paying bills and went with AT&T. Everything´s ok there!
BTW: He told his best friend about that who also got the contract and had the same problem. But she just paid everything...

respdoc said:   ureach888 said:    Does anyone know the contact info of the top guy at T-Mobile.

You want to speak with the CEO of T-Mobile in regards to your contract ? Good luck with that.
You don't want to speak to the CEO of T-Mobile.
You want to write him a brief and to the point letter telling him there is no signed contract and that T-Mobile is not adhering to their verbal agreement and that you want him to listen to the recording of the sales call and straighten out T-Mobile's billing.
Send it CMRRR.
Keep copies of all your correspondence.
If they ever send you to collections they will be unable prove that you ever agreed to their billing.

Make sure you put aside money so 6-12 months from now you have enough funds to pay the amount you agreed to (i.e., $400+($145*12) = $2140)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014