• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
Now’s your chance to join republic wireless, the nation's first Wi-Fi mobile network, and the thousands already enjoying $19 per month for unlimited talk, text and data with no overages, no contracts, no hidden charges.

RW is offering a special pre-order opportunity to reserve a dual-band Motorola DEFY XT smartphone , no invitation or wave needed. Each dual-band DEFY XT phone features Hybrid Calling technology which uses Wi-Fi where it's available and cell where it’s not. It’s a smarter smartphone, designed to offer you tremendous savings.

Specs

Phone - $249
Start up fee & shipping - $10
Total - $259

RW

Member Summary

Defy XT (90.14kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Sprint sucks in my area, that is where they lose my interest. I will stay with my PagePlus $29.95 and my inexpensive, o... (more)

ComputeThis (Nov. 21, 2012 @ 5:01a) |

I ordered a single band for my daughter for Christmas last Thursday and received it Monday. I already have a RW phone fo... (more)

Pez (Nov. 21, 2012 @ 8:19a) |

Am i missing something? Free google voice number would be the same with basically any android or ios device

importcf (Nov. 21, 2012 @ 1:58p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Not anyone --- Hawaii not offered even though Hawaii has Sprint --- no excuse for this

just a further note on Hawaii --- all the major carriers are available here --- they all offer 808 numbers

Republic is free to do what they will --- but I have to say cheaping out on Hawaii is a poor marketing move if they want to be regular nation-wide offering

Not much free wifi available in Hawaii.

aarzi said:   Not much free wifi available in Hawaii.

I think it is more of an issue of the costs of the 808 number.

Ooma has a surcharge of $29.99/year for 808. On the other hand, T-Mobile will activate as many 808 number as you want for no charge with prepaid sims. GV doesn't offer 808.

RW can certainly make it work for them. But obviously they can't be bothered.

Is this a decent phone
Line

I feel compelled to make everyone aware of this: If they operate for this pre-order the way they did during their Beta waves last year, your credit card will be charged immediately. Though, as the website states, they expect it to be four weeks before they begin shipping the phones.

fhetter said:   Is this a decent phone
Line


It depends on your definition of decent. If you're expecting a Super-Phone like the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3 or HTC One-X, then you will hate this phone. If you're looking for a phone that gets the job done without too much glitz and glamour, then you will probably be happy with it. The specs on this phone is probably a one to two years out of date in the Android scheme of things. It's not the slimmest phone with a smallish screen with lower resolution and 2 versions old Android OS.

As for OS, republic uses some specialty roms(with root), when they tinker to add the wifi calling. Side benefit of that , is on their previous phone, it was as easy as installing superuser app, to get root. This allows to get full benefit of tasker.

For an outdated phone, with no alternatives, price is too high. But if you average it out for a year, monthly price is under $45. Assuming you keep the phone for another year, monthly cost becomes $30-ish.

marteen5640 said:   I feel compelled to make everyone aware of this: If they operate for this pre-order the way they did during their Beta waves last year, your credit card will be charged immediately. Though, as the website states, they expect it to be four weeks before they begin shipping the phones.

Thanks for the heads up. I envision a lot of problems raising a dispute with the creditcard company under these procedures so I'll stay away from this.

It looked interesting, until I read one review that stated that once you start a call on a WiFi network, it will drop when you leave the coverage area, not hop, like one expects moving across a cellular area. They go by the honor system that you will take advantage of available WiFi networks, and not just always use the Sprint 3G system. It does look good for someone willing to accept the limitations, but I will be watching the technology, for a while longer.

Do they support MMS (pic, vid texts) yet? That's why I bailed after using them for awhile.

They say they will be offering better phones next year. I would wait unless you think the monthly rate is going up with no grandfathering.

I think the promise was, that the rate is going to come down, with subscriber growth, larger wifi usage and better agreement with Sprint.
BTW, I had several months comped automatically, they just skip charging sometimes, I assume, it is because they deemed service lacking due to new waves of subscribers. But because of that my effective rate was way below $20.

Correction, I should have read their forum, before, I was not charged any monthly fees, cause they stopped support for the LG optimus
They offered free upgrade to single band defy, once I switch, the monthly billing will resume. Pretty cool.

alyosha said:   As for OS, republic uses some specialty roms(with root), when they tinker to add the wifi calling. Side benefit of that , is on their previous phone, it was as easy as installing superuser app, to get root. This allows to get full benefit of tasker.What's this mean in plain English?


aarzi said:   alyosha said:   As for OS, republic uses some specialty roms(with root), when they tinker to add the wifi calling. Side benefit of that , is on their previous phone, it was as easy as installing superuser app, to get root. This allows to get full benefit of tasker.What's this mean in plain English?



In simple english - These phones are modified to prefer wifi connections for both phone and data, although cellular works fine when there is no wifi around. The way they messed with the LG made it easy for others to get into the internals. Not so much the Defy XT.

On a positive note, I had the original LG Optimus S and upgraded to the free "single band" defy xt and have been very happy. The dual band will provide free roaming on verizon, which should make it useful for those without strong Sprint coverage in their area.

Oh and for me it's 22.50 per month after taxes and fees.

evanm said:   aarzi said:   alyosha said:   As for OS, republic uses some specialty roms(with root), when they tinker to add the wifi calling. Side benefit of that , is on their previous phone, it was as easy as installing superuser app, to get root. This allows to get full benefit of tasker.What's this mean in plain English?



In simple english - These phones are modified to prefer wifi connections for both phone and data, although cellular works fine when there is no wifi around. The way they messed with the LG made it easy for others to get into the internals. Not so much the Defy XT.

On a positive note, I had the original LG Optimus S and upgraded to the free "single band" defy xt and have been very happy. The dual band will provide free roaming on verizon, which should make it useful for those without strong Sprint coverage in their area.

Oh and for me it's 22.50 per month after taxes and fees.
Thanks.

But specifically, what does it was as easy as installing superuser app, to get root. This allows to get full benefit of tasker mean?

hope they lower the phone price to 99$ like when they started or BYOD...

I don't know if it's still true, because the article is old but here it is.

http://gigaom.com/2011/11/07/republic-wireless-everything-you-ne...
Update: Looks like I should have ignored Dally and paid closer attention to the terms of service that note users who spend too much time on the cellular network will be booted out of the Republic club. Karl Bode over at Broadband Reports explains the situation and Republic’s Cellular Usage Index which is Republic’s Orwellian phrase for people who use too much cellular. The service regards fair use on cellular as about “550 minutes, 150 texts, and roughly 300 megabytes of data.”

Sprint sucks in my area, that is where they lose my interest. I will stay with my PagePlus $29.95 and my inexpensive, old-reliable Droid.

I ordered a single band for my daughter for Christmas last Thursday and received it Monday. I already have a RW phone for my son, for the money. it's great, especially considering the unlimited text and data. Don't think I would use as my primary phone, but it's great for the teens.

Am i missing something? Free google voice number would be the same with basically any android or ios device



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014