• Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
rated:
I got this from Clark Howard and it really does work for those that have an ATT iPhone that is out of contract. Straight Talk now officially supports the iPhone effective about 2 months ago.

Straight Talk has a lot of phones and a number of plans, but I created this post for the iPhone users that want to reduce their monthly phone bill. iPhone monthly bills are usually more expensive than most other cell phone plans offered.

I would appreciate it if we could keep this thread on topic specifically regarding the iPhone for those of us that are technically challenged. There are a lot of iPhone users that have no idea how to make this happen and it will save them a lot of money. This only works for AT&T iPhones.

My monthly AT&T iPhone Bill was running about $120 a month until October. Now it's $45 a month for unlimited talk, unlimited text and unlimited data. (No you can not abuse the unlimited data because they will cut you off)

I've also switched over my wife's iPhone and my brothers iPhone. We all have the iPhone 4 but this will also work on the 4s and the 5 when it is out of contract. AT&T will unlock your out of contract iPhone at no charge for some reason, but your phone does not have to be unlocked to use the phone part. It will need to be unlocked to use the internet and the picture in text feature.

It takes about a week to make all of this happen so that all of the features work. Your phone number stays the same, all of your contacts, pictures, internet, apps and everything else works the same except for the voice to text feature.

Here is what you need to do to make this happen:

1. Order a StraightTalk micro sim card here:

http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopSims

You should pick the AT&T Compatible Phone option and enter your zip code. The sim card is $9.99 and they give you free shipping. The PIA is that you have to sign for the $9.99 sim card when the FedEx man shows up. They will not leave the package without a signature. The sim card is not available in stores. Don't waste your time looking for it. While you are waiting for your StraightTalk sim card, you will need to pick up a $45 StraightTalk refill card at Wal-Mart. Buy the first one at Wal-Mart. Make sure you get the $45 card. The $30 card will not work and you don't need the $60 international card at this time. There are some other options for future purchases.

2. The sim card will come in a couple of days and there will be some instructions on how to activate it. YOU DO NOT INSERT IT IN YOUR PHONE until SEVERAL HOURS after you have activated it. If you insert the sim card too early you will blow it and you will have to wait for the FedEx guy to show up with another one. When you activate the sim you will enter the information to PORT your number from AT&T to StraightTalk. You will also enter the refill info from the $45 card you picked up at Wal-Mart.

3. After several hours your iPhone will stop working on the AT&T system. After the phone stops working on AT&T, then you can remove the AT&T sim card and insert the Straight Talk sim card. At that point your phone will work with your old number and it will be using the Straight Talk network which also happens to be the AT&T network. The little AT&T icon at the top left hand corner of your screen will now say HOME. That will let you know you are on the Straight Talk network. Although your phone will work, your internet and picture texting will not work yet. However you can connect to the internet though wifi until you get the next part done.

4. You need to then call AT&T and have your iPhone unlocked. It can take a few days for the unlock to be completed. They will do this for you and after they unlock the phone you will do a backup and restore though your iTunes account.

5. You will then need to call Straight Talk technical support to get them to walk you through the procedure for getting the internet to work. Plan on spending about 45 minutes on this.

6. There are some hidden settings in the iPhone that can not be accessed with the AT&T or Straight Talk sim card. You are going to need to access those settings in order to get everything to work perfectly as far as the pictures to text goes. In order to do this you will need a T-Mobile micro sim card. It can be an expired T-Mobile sim card. You only need the sim card to access the hidden settings in your iPhone. You do not need to sign up for their service. When that sim card is inserted at a specific point some options come up that allow you to make the changes needed. You can pick up a T-Mobile sim card for under $4. There are some posts on FW that have these and you can find them on Amazon as well. I will put the procedure for accessing these hidden setting in another post because I don't want to confuse everyone with the technical stuff. You can also google "StraightTalk to iphone" to find the instructions as well.

The bottom line is that I have reduced my iphone bill from $120 a month to $45 a month. My wife's went from $92 a month to $45 a month. My brother's went from $130 a month to $45 a month. That is real money you are saving here every day and every month. There are also some StraightTalk refill cards on eBay for less than $45. I purchased two of them for $36.99 and they work perfectly. So if you can find one of these deals, you pay even less than $45 a month. If you buy the refill card on the StraightTalk site they charge some extra government type fees that you don't have to pay if you purchase the refill card on eBay or at Wal-Mart. There are also some longer term refill cards available at a slight discount.

The phone works the same with the same reception and same features. The only difference that I can find is that I have to dial in a code to hear my voice mail. Other than that no difference other than being a whole lot less money.

Keep in mind that with StraightTalk you are paying 30 days in advance. You must refill or renew every 30 days. You can do it with the refill cards or with a credit card on file. There are no late payment fees. There are no re-connection fees. You will pay a few dollars extra if you pay with a credit card on file. You will pay the least amount by finding the refill cards on eBay at a discount. This only works on AT&T iphones. It does not work on the others.

Straight Talk
See Straight Talk coupons that earn Up to 13.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Straight Talk (7.99kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
how do you back your phone up to your itune account to begin with   shouldnt that be done before anything else??

mlturnbow4 (Nov. 17, 2013 @ 9:30a) |

I recently switched from T-Mobile 30/mon plan that was absolutely terrible (2G) coverage in my area to Straight Talk las... (more)

nijave (Jan. 09, 2014 @ 6:01p) |

Nevermind

madwil (Jan. 16, 2014 @ 6:02p) |

Clarification:

You will need to create a new APN profile. The APN settings on an At&t iphone are not accessible when using an At&t sim card. You can use the phone's browser and go to www.unlockit.co.nz and have a APN profile installed for you. NOTE: Voice, sms and data will work, MMS will not work using the APN from unlockit. You must access the phone's APN settings in order to get MMS to work, or jailbreak the phone.

If your phone is unlocked you can use a non At&t sim card to access the APN settings and create a new profile that should have everything working correctly. See the instructions from Straight Talk for APN settings here
http://straighttalksim.com/support.php

I am sure you will notice this disclaimer on the right of the screen
NEED HELP UPDATING YOUR PHONE'S SETTINGS?
*Updating your APN settings does not guarantee MMS (Multimedia/Picture Messaging) will work. MMS is dependent upon your phone model's limitations. If you have an iPhone and you would like to use MMS, you will need to Jailbreak** your iPhone in order to update your MMS settings.
**Search "Jailbreak iPhone" on-line for more information.

You can also buy the Net10 sim kit at many retailers. The retail kit includes both an At&t and a T-Mobile sim card (you use the one you need and throw the other out). So you can use the T-Mobile sim card to access the APN settings after unlocking your phone. Retail price is $14.99. If you buy the Net10 service on their site it is the same price as Straight Talk.

tl;dr version: Switch from AT&T to Straight Talk's unlimited offer for $45/mo. They piggy back off AT&T and T-Mobile (afaik), but beware of a few points:

1. Mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs), like Straight Talk, may not have access to the breadth of towers that say a carrier SIM enables. (I've had no problems.)
2. You lose LTE access, if you care about that. (Max: HSPA+ 4G.)
3. Set up doesn't require a phone call, just follow the online wizard or Google around. Configuration is a little hairy on Windows Phone 7/8 but does work (sms, mms, etc.).

Or you could just save yourself all that trouble and buy a new unlocked phone. Also, T-Mobile is taking unlocked iPhone users as well. Although their plans aren't as good if you want unlim all, but I'm happy with the 100min/unlim web/unlim text plan for $30/mo.

Hasn't this been discussed about 1,406 times already?

kuroukage said:   Or you could just save yourself all that trouble and buy a new unlocked phone. Also, T-Mobile is taking unlocked iPhone users as well. Although their plans aren't as good if you want unlim all, but I'm happy with the 100min/unlim web/unlim text plan for $30/mo.

I wrote this thread for those folks that already have a paid for AT&T iphone that are at the end of their contract and are currently paying $100+ a month to AT&T for cell phone service.

I do realize that Straight Talk and others have many different types of phones and plans. However to those of us that are technically challenged, this is new information and this specific information for the iPhone has not been posted before on Straight Talk or on Fat Wallet, although there is a thread on FW from February that talks about it, but does not give specific instructions on how to do it. In fact the whole previous thread is as confusing as walking into Wal-Mart and looking at the Straight Talk display and then trying to figure out what the heck you need.

Since that time, the procedure has changed and Straight Talk now officially supports the iPhone which they did not do back in February.

If you don't have an AT&T iPhone, just move along because there is nothing to see here.

Joe

sprof said:   Hasn't this been discussed about 1,406 times already?

Actually it has not. The techno geeks know how to do this, but the people that actually have iPhones do not.

Converting to this Straight Talk unlimited plan from AT&T iPhone plan saves me $900 a year. That is a lot of money.

Keep in mind that iPhone monthly plans are the most expensive cell phone plans in the cell phone business. So while this is not a big deal to those that have been paying $30-$60 a month for other cell phone service it is a big deal to those iPhone users that have been paying a minimum of $100 a month since the iPhone was introduced in 2007.

Joe

The most expensive cell plans are the ones u get suckered into a 2yr contract for. That includes other phones as well. In the long run it's actually cheaper to buy the phone at full price and go prepaid. Especially if you go with an unlocked phone because then you can switch companies without the worry of being locked down to one.

kuroukage said:   The most expensive cell plans are the ones u get suckered into a 2yr contract for. That includes other phones as well. In the long run it's actually cheaper to buy the phone at full price and go prepaid. Especially if you go with an unlocked phone because then you can switch companies without the worry of being locked down to one.

That is easier said than done! Remember up until a year or so ago, the only cell phone company that had iphones was AT&T. They also were the only ones that had the system you could operate your iPhone on unless you were willing to jailbreak your phone and void your warranty and technical support. Plus when you took your jailbroken iPhone to another carrier, they did not know what to do with it when it stopped working.

Today there are several choices of iPhone companies and iPhone types. Phone companies used to require a one year contract. Then they started requiring a two year contract. The contracts didn't bother me much because I was going to have to pay someone for the monthly service anyway. After all, if you don't have monthly service, then you don't need a cell phone.

What always bothered me about the iPhone was the monthly charge was more than double a "regular" cell phone. You get used to the iPhone and it's difficult to change to another type of phone so they kind of had you in golden handcuffs.

The prepaids are a game changer. To me it doesn't make a difference if I pay a month in advance or a month behind. It's still a month that I have to pay.

Joe

Another thing to consider if your AT&T contract is not yet expired, but will be expiring soon. Go ahead and order the Straight Talk sim card now so that you have it. The sim card is the only thing that you can't get locally. So it's the only thing that will slow you down. FW has 13.5% Cash Back on the sim card, so you will get $1.35 back from FW.

If you don't know your contract expiration date, you can call AT&T and they will tell you.

Joe

What about the coverage? Is Straight Talk coverage same/similar to at&t or Verizon .

itshuman said:   What about the coverage? Is Straight Talk coverage same/similar to at&t or Verizon .

You might be surprised to know that Straight Talk uses the same AT&T network for iphone service as you are currently using. So it is going to be the same coverage as you are getting now with AT&T. That is the reason this only works with AT&T iphones.

Joe

Is this just for current AT&T users only? Can I start it fresh with a new number as I am currently overseas and do have unlocked iphone.

bluskie said:   Is this just for current AT&T users only? Can I start it fresh with a new number as I am currently overseas and do have unlocked iphone.

With an unlocked GSM phone, just order the ST SIM and you're golden. I plan on doing this when I retire next year and move back to the US.

bluskie said:   Is this just for current AT&T users only? Can I start it fresh with a new number as I am currently overseas and do have unlocked iphone.

The way I understand it is that any AT&T 4, 4s or 5 unlocked iPhone will work in the US on the Straight Talk network. You do not have to be a current AT&T customer, but the phone you are trying to hook up to Straight Talk must not have any unsatisfied AT&T contract obligations on it. Obviously Straight Talk must have some sort of working relationship with AT&T since they are selling them space on the AT&T network so one would have to believe that AT&T has the ability to stop the phone from being activated if there is an unpaid contract due.

If you currently do not have a phone number on your unlocked AT&T iPhone then Straight Talk will assign one to you when you insert the sim card. Once that phone number has been assigned to a specific sim card, it can not be changed. Any change in phone number requires a new sim card.

Joe

According to their web site, SIM is $14.99, not $9.99.
Will work on T-Mobile phones as well.
If you want MMS (messaging with pics)on an iPhone, you must jailbreak your phone.

StraightTalk SIM Link

i didnt have to sign for my sim card, but im using ST for an old at&t iphone 3g that i bought off my co worker for 35 bucks. i have noticed some games that require constant back and forth dont work unless im connected to wifi, pretty sure that has something to do with the service, but not 100%.

also be aware that the iphone changed the sim card between the 4 and the 4s i believe so make sure you get the right sim card for the right phone.

yachty said:   According to their web site, SIM is $14.99, not $9.99.
Will work on T-Mobile phones as well.
If you want MMS (messaging with pics)on an iPhone, you must jailbreak your phone.

StraightTalk SIM Link

But if you go to my link as instructed in the original post then you will find that the sim card is $9.99. Here is the link again:

http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopSims

Also if you read the original post you will see that AT&T will unlock the phone for customers and the jailbreak will not be necessary.

Joe

freaknasty said:   i didnt have to sign for my sim card, but im using ST for an old at&t iphone 3g that i bought off my co worker for 35 bucks. i have noticed some games that require constant back and forth dont work unless im connected to wifi, pretty sure that has something to do with the service, but not 100%.

It's the technology in the phone that is causing this. That is why it works great on the 4, 4s and 5 and not the 3g.

Joe

I just saw the sim card in store at Hamilton, NJ WalMart. Of course they are the full $14.99 price, but may be good for someone who cannot order online, like those under 18 w/o a CC.

If you want to go really deep into this subject, or have really tough technical questions, then go to the HOFO Straight Talk Forum:
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/551-Straight-Talk

This exact same program is also available through Net 10, sister company to Straight Talk, another of the ever expanding Tracfone group. Airtime for N10 is available from a wider selection of sources. Information/help for Straight Talk is much easier to come by, but it really applies to both companies.

tracfancier said:   If you want to go really deep into this subject, or have really tough technical questions, then go to the HOFO Straight Talk Forum:
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/551-Straight-Talk

This exact same program is also available through Net 10, sister company to Straight Talk, another of the ever expanding Tracfone group. Airtime for N10 is available from a wider selection of sources. Information/help for Straight Talk is much easier to come by, but it really applies to both companies.

The howardforums.com is an excellent resource on this subject. That is where I found a lot of useful information. It's a little buggy to get through.

As far as Net10 and other prepaid companies that offer might offer service for iPhone, I could not find reliable information or tech support even though I'm sure other companies must have the capacity to offer monthly service for iPhone. I went with Straight Talk because Clark Howard recommended it. That is usually a good recommendation.

As far as I can tell, Straight Talk is sold at Wal-Mart and no other national retailer. There are Wal-Marts just about everywhere now so getting a Straight Talk refill card should not be difficult. You can also purchase online from the StraightTalk website although they have an extra charge for doing so. You can also purchase the refill cards at WalMart.com and get FW Cash Back on that purchase.

At the present time FW does not have Cash Back for StraightTalk refill cards purchased directly from StraightTalk.com. I would like to see that happen and I'm sure there are a lot of others that would like to see this as well.

Joe

joefriday2 said:   bluskie said:   Is this just for current AT&T users only? Can I start it fresh with a new number as I am currently overseas and do have unlocked iphone.

The way I understand it is that any AT&T 4, 4s or 5 unlocked iPhone will work in the US on the Straight Talk network. You do not have to be a current AT&T customer, but the phone you are trying to hook up to Straight Talk must not have any unsatisfied AT&T contract obligations on it. Obviously Straight Talk must have some sort of working relationship with AT&T since they are selling them space on the AT&T network so one would have to believe that AT&T has the ability to stop the phone from being activated if there is an unpaid contract due.

If you currently do not have a phone number on your unlocked AT&T iPhone then Straight Talk will assign one to you when you insert the sim card. Once that phone number has been assigned to a specific sim card, it can not be changed. Any change in phone number requires a new sim card.

Joe

Do u mean that the uncontracted At&T iphone 4 will work and don not have to be a unlocked AT&T iphone 4?

I have an AT&T family plan (3-people). Still cheaper to stay with AT&T, as my bill is less than 3x$45=$135, and I can get new iPhones every 2 years, trade-in the old ones for 2/3 the price of the new ones. Good deal if you have a single line I guess.

FWCB said:   joefriday2 said:   bluskie said:   Is this just for current AT&T users only? Can I start it fresh with a new number as I am currently overseas and do have unlocked iphone.

Joe

Do u mean that the uncontracted At&T iphone 4 will work and don not have to be a unlocked AT&T iphone 4?

You do not need to have the AT&T iPhone unlocked to make the phone part work.

You will need to have AT&T unlock the phone so you can have internet and picture sending and receiving capability over the cellular network. Wifi will work even if the phone is not activated. AT&T does not charge to unlock the phone so I don't see any reason why you should not do it.

Joe

kuroukage said:   The most expensive cell plans are the ones u get suckered into a 2yr contract for. That includes other phones as well. In the long run it's actually cheaper to buy the phone at full price and go prepaid. Especially if you go with an unlocked phone because then you can switch companies without the worry of being locked down to one.
This is wrong. Having a 2 year contract certainly doesn't mean you are getting suckered or paying the most expensive price for cell service. The issue with many 2 year plans is the cost of the phone is being priced into the monthly service fee. I'm in a 2 year contract with T-Mobile on their value plan and for 4 phones with unlimited data, text, and talk, I pay a total of $130 per month including tax, or a little over $30 per month per phone. If you check around, that is among the LEAST expensive cell plans you'll find for those features.

Just to throw it out there, you can get a $9.99 SIM card and a $45 plan card from Straight Talk like this: It shows $54.99 online -- but there are two coupons that stack (free shipping and $10 off a sim card) PLUS you get FatWallet CashBack on all of that... you do pay tax, but it ends up costing less than $45 for a SIM card *and* one $45 refill....

robby69 said:   I have an AT&T family plan (3-people). Still cheaper to stay with AT&T, as my bill is less than 3x$45=$135, and I can get new iPhones every 2 years, trade-in the old ones for 2/3 the price of the new ones. Good deal if you have a single line I guess.

The family plans are not unlimited plans. As long as you do not go over your shared minutes, texts or data usage, then you are golden. If you have teenagers then you would need an unlimited texting plan and that gets expensive. Teenagers don't talk on the phone much anymore, but they text all the time.

Joe

While Straight Talk uses AT&T towers, it does not have access to all the towers. I have a friend who tried the service and the reception was awful.

delete

bbock2522 said:   While Straight Talk uses AT&T towers, it does not have access to all the towers. I have a friend who tried the service and the reception was awful.

Which of the AT&T towers does Straight Talk not have access to? I've read that online, but have not been able to confirm it nor do I see how it is technically possible.

What I do believe is that if you have bad AT&T service you will have bad Straight Talk service.

Joe

joefriday2 said:   bbock2522 said:   While Straight Talk uses AT&T towers, it does not have access to all the towers. I have a friend who tried the service and the reception was awful.

Which of the AT&T towers does Straight Talk not have access to? I've read that online, but have not been able to confirm it nor do I see how it is technically possible.

What I do believe is that if you have bad AT&T service you will have bad Straight Talk service.

Joe
Even AT&T limits their prepaid users access to certain towers. Look at the coverage maps fr AT&T postpaid and AT&T go-phone. This is mainly because they don't allow roaming between carriers when there is no AT&T coverage on prepaid plans.

Straight Talk does not allow tethering. It is prohibited in the terms of service. If you tether, then they will cut you off.

Joe

joefriday2 said:   sprof said:   Hasn't this been discussed about 1,406 times already?

Actually it has not. The techno geeks know how to do this, but the people that actually have iPhones do not.

Converting to this Straight Talk unlimited plan from AT&T iPhone plan saves me $900 a year. That is a lot of money.

Keep in mind that iPhone monthly plans are the most expensive cell phone plans in the cell phone business. So while this is not a big deal to those that have been paying $30-$60 a month for other cell phone service it is a big deal to those iPhone users that have been paying a minimum of $100 a month since the iPhone was introduced in 2007.

Joe
iPhone monthly plans on the major carriers cost exactly the same as any other brand/model smartphone on the same carriers. Not sure where you get "iPhone plans cost more." That being said switching to Straight Talk is a good idea for ANY smartphone user. Just be very careful using data because they are very quick to cut you off if you use more than a gig or so a month or if you do any tethering despite calling it "unlimited."

Straight Talk and Net10 are sister Companies and their BYOP SIM Cards are identical and the programs are identical in use. But the airtime is NOT interchangeable, so you must stay with your choice between the two or buy the others
SIM and re-activate (phone settings stay the same). ANY BYOP information you find that applies to ST also applies to N10.

When buying a SIM for AT&T or T-Mobile service you must make sure your model phone has all the frequecies used by that provider, there is NO way to add another radio to your phone.

joefriday2 said:   bbock2522 said:   While Straight Talk uses AT&T towers, it does not have access to all the towers. I have a friend who tried the service and the reception was awful.

Joe

Not only does ST have full access to the best that AT&T has to offer, ST also has contracts with roaming partners all over the USA that AT&T does not. Limitations are in your phone, your location and time of day congestion.

"Not only does ST have full access to the best that AT&T has to offer, ST also has contracts with roaming partners all over the USA that AT&T does not."

I have not noticed a dropped call or reception problem when traveling with my Straight Talk powered iPhone. The reception is at least as good as what I had with AT&T. The internet seems to work faster on the Straight Talk plan.

Joe

Straightalk with iPhone 4 ...... Best thing ever

joefriday2 said:   FWCB said:   joefriday2 said:   bluskie said:   Is this just for current AT&T users only? Can I start it fresh with a new number as I am currently overseas and do have unlocked iphone.

Joe

You do not need to have the AT&T iPhone unlocked to make the phone part work.

You will need to have AT&T unlock the phone so you can have internet and picture sending and receiving capability over the cellular network. Wifi will work even if the phone is not activated. AT&T does not charge to unlock the phone so I don't see any reason why you should not do it.

Joe

You will not not need an unlocked phone to get this to work on StraightTalk. StraightTalk is a resellar of AT&Ts service, so they will actually give you an AT&T phone compatible sim. However, you will need a Jailbreak (NOT AN UNLOCK) to get the MMS to work (sending of picture and video text messages) as it requires APN editing to get that to work. But everything else will work like regular text messages and phone and internet.

If you have a T-Mobile sim lying around you can insert it and change the APN settings to what you need.

Skipping 128 Messages...
Nevermind

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014