Caught on Tape: Extreme Couponing Turns Violent

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/caught-tape-extreme-couponing-tur...

The quest to save some money using coupons turned into a violent confrontation between an extreme couponer and the manager of a discount store.

Melissa Mozzo-Mart and Jennifer Hill were shopping at a Dollar Tree store in Germantown, Tenn., the day before Thanksgiving when they say they apparently brought too many coupons for the store to handle.

"We were told we were harassing her (the store manager) to use those coupons and she threatened to call the cops," Hill said.

The store had posted a large sign on its windows that it was now accepting coupons.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
So you give me red for posting a news page showing the manager, even though I said nothing about her? You're always givi... (more)

Slickone (Nov. 29, 2012 @ 2:32p) |

Probably his mother! LOL

SlamminMOFO (Dec. 13, 2012 @ 3:01p) |

I gotta wonder how many they were trying to use? I always try to be respectful and polite when I'm using coupons becaus... (more)

dyslexiateechur (Dec. 13, 2012 @ 3:43p) |


on one hand I was thinking wtf when i watched this, what was the manager thinking? But on the other hand, it's rare you find an employee, especially in retail, who cares about their store this much.

hmmmm.....the picture I had of the coupon lady in my head was exactly the same as the real pic

Extreme law-suiting.....

good thing i dont go there.

and what is the rest of the story?

Drives me nuts when employees/managers/etc act like you are taking money out of their pockets for stuff like this. You get the value of the coupons back, what is the big deal anyway?

I think the deal was it could occupy a cash register for forever. And when you only have one or two at a small store, you can lose customer "loyalty," which can be just as important as physical purchases.

Dollar Tree's coupon policy:
1.Only original and intact manufacturers’ coupons will be accepted. Retailer-specific coupons will not be accepted.
2.Coupons are void if copied, scanned, or if they have been altered in any way.
3.Only two (2) print-at-home Internet coupons may be redeemed per transaction.
4.We are unable to accept coupons for “Free” items with no purchase requirements or where the amount for the product is blank.
5.Coupons can only be used in stores and must be presented at time of purchase. Coupons cannot be redeemed for cash at a later time.
6.Coupons will not be accepted without the purchase of the item specified and are subject to the terms listed (e.g. expiration date, size, limitations, quantity, etc.).
7.Coupons cannot be redeemed for more than the purchase price of the item.
8.Only one (1) manufacturer’s coupon will be accepted per item.
9.Management has the right to refuse any coupon or otherwise limit quantities.

hmmmm.....the picture I had of the manager in my head was exactly the same as the real pic

Ah, you can't blame the manager for wanting to share in the holiday spirit.
Some people love with a hug, others with a balled up fist. Remember diversity is important.

I'll show you to use too many coupons -- BANG, ZOOM!

Is there a video with this? I haven't been able to find it?

Well maybe I'm being overly nice, but I have some sympathy for the store manager. She was trying to limit these fat @sses from wiping her store clean- I'd imagine fatso #1 and #2 were incredibly rude and condescending to her. Obviously the manager shouldn't have resorted to violence- she will likely lose her job b/c 2 lardos wanted to save $5 on advil.

wp746911 said:   Well maybe I'm being overly nice, but I have some sympathy for the store manager. She was trying to limit these fat @sses from wiping her store clean- I'd imagine fatso #1 and #2 were incredibly rude and condescending to her. Obviously the manager shouldn't have resorted to violence- she will likely lose her job b/c 2 lardos wanted to save $5 on advil.

Right, because every deal exploiting Fat Wallet member has six-pack abs...way to keep the discussion classy.

there's always going to be those certain people you wish you could punch in the face, but managers are supposed to be the ones telling you not to do anything...illegal at least

I was amazed when I saw this. I try to coupon but, I could never achieve extreme coupon status. The manager at Dollar Tree is way out of line. I'm not sure how busy this store was but, mine are never that busy. I applaud them for being creative enough to get a coupon list together for there.

I have seen extreme couponers at my local shoprite and I was impressed but, I understand they arent as receptive to them anymore as people were passing bad coupons to the young kids and getting out of hand. I have triggered the manager key pretty frequently lately doing loss leaders but, I usually have no more than 5 coupons

turls88 said:   Drives me nuts when employees/managers/etc act like you are taking money out of their pockets for stuff like this. You get the value of the coupons back, what is the big deal anyway?

Actually, where I work and others, the value of the coupon is taken away from the total sales amount based on labor and sales figures. Which means I can now use 23% less help to process 50% more labor intensive customers.

I've had managers like this at WalMart, etc. try to make up their own rules and not do returns or price matches for no good reason, and get really rude with me.

FYI, Germantown is a suburb of Memphis.

dddennis said:   turls88 said:   Drives me nuts when employees/managers/etc act like you are taking money out of their pockets for stuff like this. You get the value of the coupons back, what is the big deal anyway?

Actually, where I work and others, the value of the coupon is taken away from the total sales amount based on labor and sales figures. Which means I can now use 23% less help to process 50% more labor intensive customers.


so the solution is to punch the customers? that'll ensure you don't have much customers to deal with.

btw, the manager has been arrested. http://personalliberty.com/2012/11/26/police-manager-arrested-in...


miserly said:   dddennis said:   turls88 said:   Drives me nuts when employees/managers/etc act like you are taking money out of their pockets for stuff like this. You get the value of the coupons back, what is the big deal anyway?

Actually, where I work and others, the value of the coupon is taken away from the total sales amount based on labor and sales figures. Which means I can now use 23% less help to process 50% more labor intensive customers.


so the solution is to punch the customers? that'll ensure you don't have much customers to deal with.

btw, the manager has been arrested. http://personalliberty.com/2012/11/26/police-manager-arrested-in...


I think it is interesting if what dddennis says is true - it seems like a poor system that bases the amount of labor needed on absolute dollar amounts versus some other useful metric.

wp746911 said:   Well maybe I'm being overly nice, but I have some sympathy for the store manager. She was trying to limit these fat @sses from wiping her store clean- I'd imagine fatso #1 and #2 were incredibly rude and condescending to her. Obviously the manager shouldn't have resorted to violence- she will likely lose her job b/c 2 lardos wanted to save $5 on advil.

What I find rather interesting is that the video was made from the start. How many people go into a store, any store, and start to video if they didn't know in advance that there would be trouble?

Mickie3 said:   
What I find rather interesting is that the video was made from the start. How many people go into a store, any store, and start to video if they didn't know in advance that there would be trouble?


It wasn't made from the start. The reporter said they started filming when the manager was going to call someone. I was disappointed with the video. You can hardly see the manager or what they did.

Looks like a great lawsuit over broken blood vessels.

JamesTKirk said:   Mickie3 said:   
What I find rather interesting is that the video was made from the start. How many people go into a store, any store, and start to video if they didn't know in advance that there would be trouble?


It wasn't made from the start. The reporter said they started filming when the manager was going to call someone. I was disappointed with the video. You can hardly see the manager or what they did.

Looks like a great lawsuit over broken blood vessels.



The report I saw said it was from the start. So much for the reliability of "the media."

And, yes, if it was from the start, made the thing look worse on the part of the manager. If from when things escalated, not so much.

As to what the video shows, it doesn't show a lot from what I recall, so this will be one more time of she said, she said. Ought to be interesting to see if $Tree will take this all the way to a jury trial (I would if I were them) as will be interesting to see what the story turns out in testimony and what a jury's take on it will be.



ABC News, we may be last,but we WANT to be.

Mickie3 said:   wp746911 said:   Well maybe I'm being overly nice, but I have some sympathy for the store manager. She was trying to limit these fat @sses from wiping her store clean- I'd imagine fatso #1 and #2 were incredibly rude and condescending to her. Obviously the manager shouldn't have resorted to violence- she will likely lose her job b/c 2 lardos wanted to save $5 on advil.

What I find rather interesting is that the video was made from the start. How many people go into a store, any store, and start to video if they didn't know in advance that there would be trouble?

So you give me red for posting a news page showing the manager, even though I said nothing about her? You're always giving red.

Slickone said:   Mickie3 said:   wp746911 said:   Well maybe I'm being overly nice, but I have some sympathy for the store manager. She was trying to limit these fat @sses from wiping her store clean- I'd imagine fatso #1 and #2 were incredibly rude and condescending to her. Obviously the manager shouldn't have resorted to violence- she will likely lose her job b/c 2 lardos wanted to save $5 on advil.

What I find rather interesting is that the video was made from the start. How many people go into a store, any store, and start to video if they didn't know in advance that there would be trouble?

So you give me red for posting a news page showing the manager, even though I said nothing about her? You're always giving red.


Probably his mother! LOL

I gotta wonder how many they were trying to use? I always try to be respectful and polite when I'm using coupons because it IS the manager's right to refuse a sale. In my opinion, I think the lady was being a bit snippy with the manager.

Still doesn't excuse the manager's behavior because she was WAY out of line.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014