• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm not sure exactly how this works, and it's not strictly advertised, but try going to the 23andme website in several browsers, trying the incognito/private mode. I was able to order a kit for 50 dollars (normally 300!) in Chrome - others have seen varying prices but I think 50 dollars is the lowest. There are some posts on the Facebook page about it - but no code or anything is needed. Good luck!

Edit: This was in Cyber Monday deals, and it was moved for some reason. I know I don't have all of the details on this, but this is not a discussion, this is a real deal, and should at least be in Hot Deals. Please mods, move it into a correct area or tell me what I need to do to make it not a "discussion". I just only know what I saw on the Facebook page about the prices varying and that I was able to get it for 50 dollars. If I had more info I would add it.

Member Summary

I cant get that price.. can you share link?

I have tried 4 different browsers on 2 computers, with private browsing and deleting cookies - no luck! Thanks so much for posting anyway - much appreciated - will keep trying.

Sorry you couldn't get it! As far as I know it's still going on. It's odd because it's not actually advertized anywhere as far as I can tell, just talk on the facebook page. For me, I just saw 300 dollars on Firefox and saw 50 dollars right away on Chrome, so I jumped on it.

Here's the FB page with what people were seeing/running into:
https://www.facebook.com/23andMe

The page is jut http://23andme.com . There is no special link, or special code, you just have to visit it from different browsers/computers and hope that you get lucky, as far as I can understand.

https://www.23andme.com/special_offer/49NOV2012/

Nice, where did you find that? I see it now on this site about breaking down the JS on how to get the price, but it happened so easily for me that I didn't look into it further:
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4834859

Got it! Thanks for the link! I could have been mislead though - the large box at the top of the page shows $299 near "Add to Cart", but the kit in the shopping cart showed $49. Was able to get 2 kits, both at the $49.

i tried all links in this thread still shows 299 for me.

luvGnuLinux said:   i tried all links in this thread still shows 299 for me.

Do not pay attention to the price displayed at the top of the page. Check your cart. If you followed the promo link it should have automatically added the test to your cart at $49.

Tempting. What are the consequences of this?

deader than dead...sigh

violetdream said:   I'm not sure exactly how this works, and it's not strictly advertised, but try going to the 23andme website in several browsers, trying the incognito/private mode. I was able to order a kit for 50 dollars (normally 300!) in Chrome - others have seen varying prices but I think 50 dollars is the lowest. There are some posts on the Facebook page about it - but no code or anything is needed. Good luck!

Edit: This was in Cyber Monday deals, and it was moved for some reason. I know I don't have all of the details on this, but this is not a discussion, this is a real deal, and should at least be in Hot Deals. Please mods, move it into a correct area or tell me what I need to do to make it not a "discussion". I just only know what I saw on the Facebook page about the prices varying and that I was able to get it for 50 dollars. If I had more info I would add it.

The next time you decide to post a lamely-directed 'Hot' Deal, please so label it. I have never seen such a muddily described deal not only by the OP by by all the others who claimed that they were able to use what proved to be hacker pages to obtain this deal at $50. Please don't waste my time or increase my stress level, which is all you do when you put crap up for people to try to use.

Did not work for me. I tried around 50 times on Monday.

Sorry, next time I won't post anything and keep all the deals for myself, hopefully that will be less stressful for all of you!

Violetdream, please ignore the malcontent. While the deal was of questionable efficacy, you were forthcoming with that information. I just wish I had seen this yesterday.

Yeah, looks like it's dead now anyway What a confusing deal, for all - seems like people on Facebook are currently pretty mad about how untransparent it was.

Although I wasn't happy about the anger towards me in that post, I feel that it's legitimate, though incorrectly directed. They ended up isolating and making their existing customers feel cheated and unhappy over this unadvertised "deal" which is now being touted as a "pricing test". I also had a bad experience with their customer service earlier in the year.

In any case, this website is running an actual deal, so you may want to look in that direction in terms of price and company integrity:
http://www.familytreedna.com

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014