• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Last summer I stopped at a local grocery store to buy a $50 eBay gift card. When they attempted to scan it for the sale, it came up "not for sale" or something to that effect. Eventually they called the card company and were told that a large east-coast grocery chain had purchased all eBay cards and they were to pull all their cards from display. Recently I noticed that a local Kmart had eBay gc's, but when I tried to purchase one the same thing happened, they scanned a dozen or so, and all of them were "not for sale". Can anyone shed any light on this?

Member Summary

NOT FOR SALE???
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I work at a major grocery store and we were told to pull and destroy all of our eBay gift cards. This happened a few months back and can no longer be activated. The "Gift Card Malls" are run by Blackhawk, a safeway company. eBay probably found that the fees involved were not making financial sense.

That sounds similar to what I was told at the grocery store last summer, but I'm pretty sure the eBay GC's at Kmart just showed up within the last few weeks. Otherwise, I haven't seen them anywhere for months.

purchased not more than 2 months ago at a safeway/Vons in Los Angeles area. They had a lot in stock.

I had the exact same problem about a week ago. I tried buying an eBay gift card, and the CSR could not process it.

I've bought probably $2500 in eBay gift cards from safeway (Seattle area) during the last 12 months. I believe the cashiers have occasionally scanned the wrong barcode (there are 2). But once they scan the right barcode, there's never been a problem.

Can you cash out the gift card via paypal?

gonewiththewind said:   Can you cash out the gift card via paypal?NO, it can only be used for payment for items purchased on eBay. Any unused balance remains in your paypal account separate from your other balance. You have to manually apply the gift card balance to future purchases.

I used to buy them at a local grocer, then they quit selling them and I would buy at Hometown Sears or Kmart. Then they quit having them also. Haven't purchased any in many months.

luvdoublebrats said:   I had the exact same problem about a week ago. I tried buying an eBay gift card, and the CSR could not process it.
Was this at a Kmart? It appears that safeway/Vons are the only stores where they can be purchased then.

I bought one at a safeway in Washington State just last night.
No problems with activation.

I bought $500 worth (max you can use on one eBay purchase) at Kroger last week and they all activated fine. The catch is you have to scan NOT the UPC barcode on the cardboard attached to the card but the much longer barcode on the back of the giftcard itself. If you do the UPC code you will get an error from the register. At least that is how it works at the local Kroger. I'd guess I have bought $1500 worth of eBay gift cards there in the last year. Also eBay is a bit slower to allow you to use the card. Amazon gift cards and HD giftcards appear to work almost immediately but eBay can take four to six hours before they can be used.

I'd try Staples with a 5% discount that some credit cards have.

No Staples close by, no Krogers, Vons, or safeway either.

Joe2836 said:   I'd try Staples with a 5% discount that some credit cards have.

Not to Hijack the thread, but which Credit Cards give 5% back at Staples?

Thanks

An update: I just called the same Kmart at which I was unable to buy the eBay gc's and they still haven't resolved the problem. I don't know if this is just an example of Kmart ineptitude, or a widespread problem, but apparently it wasn't just a temporary glitch.

If anyone knows of a supermarket or Drugstore that sells eBay gifty cards in the New York City area, I'd be grateful. I've checked Pathmark, Duane Reade and can never find any.

Wizard83 said:   Joe2836 said:   I'd try Staples with a 5% discount that some credit cards have.

Not to Hijack the thread, but which Credit Cards give 5% back at Staples?

Thanks

One of them:
Chase Ink Cash (Business Visa). 5% CashBack on the first $25,000 spent anually at office supply stores, on cellular phone, landline, internet and cable TV services.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014