Dell or Toshiba? Which laptop?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
With a few laptop deals online the past few days (Target, Best Buy, Dell with their promo cards) I've came across two computers.

Dell: (via Dell.com) This also could be a one day deal and it'll go back up tomorrow
http://www.dell.com/us/eep/p/inspiron-17r-5720/pd

Toshiba (via Best Buy)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+17.3%26%2334%3B+...

Now to me these look exactly the same, except for the price tag. Are you actually paying $89 for the name Dell? Is 'Dell' worth $89 more? Is there some major different I'm missing here?

Member Summary

Dell knowingly sold defective computers and misled customers. The customers they screwed included large, corporate accounts so in my opinion a single retail customer has no hope of being treated honestly if there's a problem.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/30/documents-show-that-dell-know...

Personally, I only buy laptop is Lenovo Thinkpad. If you go to any kind of high tech conferences, the only laptops you see are MacBooks and Thinkpads. It says something. If you attend one of those conferences with another brand laptop, you immediately put yourself in the same level as the floor cleaning person.

I bought 4 dells in the last 5 years. 2 completely dead. 1 with dead display and heat problem. The last one has a problem with the screen where dead pixels are multiplying every week. I have FINALLY learnt my lessons and moved to a macbook air. don't want to sound corny but really the best computer related purchase i have ever made.

FWIW, I have a Toshiba i bought for $299 on black friday 7 years ago. Battery is dead but still going strong otherwise.

My experience with Dells has been the exact opposite. After some consumer-level HPs, Compaqs, Lenovos, I've been buying only business-level Dell laptops, all Latitudes, from the Dell Outlet. Have bought 10 in the last 3 years. All working without issue.

They all run the same components, so it doesn't matter which brand. I would go with the cheapest laptop that meet your requirements.

Remember the quality on Dell computers built for corporate customers is different (as they come with 3 yr warranty), so they want to make sure that those laptops last full3 yrs
Retail customers really get bad quality products from Dell. After a year, things may start to break. So personally I would advice you to stay away from Dell (& HP as a matter of fact)

So if you want to choose between the two, I would suggest going with Toshiba

And if you really want extended warranty, Square Trade has 40% off running now, search FW for the thread.

17.3" and only 1600x900px? I'd pick neither. I've had LCD hinge issues on a Toshiba and every coworker who has an older Dell laptop (myself included) has to blow a fan across it to keep it from throttling down from heat.

I second the Lenovo Thinkpad suggestion. Any of the T series.

get a Lenovo, y series are really nice

Take a look at this one for $200 more -- ice blue color, faster processor, more RAM, larger harddrive and Windows 7:

http://www.fatwallet.com/Adorama-coupons/code-652493/

Toshiba Satellite S875D-S7239 17.3" Noteboook Computer,
AMD A10-4600M 2.3GHz,
6GB RAM,
750GB HDD,
Win 7 Home Premium (Upgradable to Win 8 Professional)
$599.99 (expires on 12/10/12)

Free shipping and no ST

1% FatCash

Use Discover card for another 5% CashBack and for 90-day price protection

They were/still are? offering an extended 1 yr. warranty for around $8.

HTH

Try each company's tech support, both their website and their phone support. Dell's website is much better, while Toshiba's is so barebones that there's IrisVista.com to make up for the shortcomings (Toshiba has an "Ask Iris" online help system that's poor and is what their level 1 tech support has to use). SquareTrade to cover the deficiencies?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014