• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
Been shopping at locat store for years, including the happy days of "coupon crazed" shopping, so they know me well, as what BB terms "Devil Customer" (if you've been on here long enough you know what I'm talking about..).
Anyway, on Sunday, 12/2/12 I went to the store to purchase some FAR photo paper and paid with a number Rebate Cards. I've done so in the past a few times, particularly when there's a small amount left on the cards, to get rid of them. Recently I used about 20 of them to convert to MC GC per their recent promo - purchased 1k worth.
I sometimes ask the cashier to ring up items separately if I'm using some coupons, or for my tax reasons, so I, at times, take longer to checkout than the average shopper. That's it.
Tha Manager informed me that Sunday, that I'm no longer welcome at the store - the whole episode was quite unpleasant as you can imagine, however I kept it cool and didn't get angry, rais my voice or "complimented" him. Didn't call Corporate either so far, but am going back to the store in about an hour to pick-up orders from Staples.com.
I don't see how the Manager can do so based on this reasoning, perhaps I'm wrong.
Will report back if I manage to pick up my orders...

UPDATE:
Almost as soon as I entered the store the Manager approached, held out his hand and apologized - I explained in detail what I thought was his unacceptable conduct (things I didn't go into here to keep thread from getting too long) - he again apologized - the conversation was calm quiet and respectful which to me, is even more important than the now "lifted" ban. He went and got my orders - shook hands again before I left - looks like I'm going to have excellent service in the future at the store (it's the only one in walking distance).
So good ending, and good call not to call Corp. right away.
One last thing, he did show me Staples memo from end of November allowing maximum of 5 Rebate Cards per transaction. Now you know too.

Edit:
Posted originally to Finance section so felt it best to keep the focus on the "excessive use of Rebate Cards" aspect.
Additional details: Manager said (basically) that he needed to talk to me when I was still standing in line - what he said and the way he said it, caused poeple in line to look at me as if I got caught shoplifting there last week, and am now trying to shop at the store again.
When I got to the register, he claimed I purchased 2 laptops and paid for them w Rebate Cards except the last $25 of the total. I didn't recall anything like this..in our "make up" conversation I raised the point and he said it happend 9 months ago. I still don't remember this.
I then asked the cashier to ring up each of the 4 Photo Paper separately and used 10% coupon (cpn limit 1/item) on each - the manager said that each time I want to do a separate transaction I'd have to go back in line.I handed the cashier my Rewards Card - she scanned the first two transactions, when I noticed and told her she didn't do so on the next, she said "you can add it at home", put my purchase in the bag and walked away from the register. I told her I had some orders to pick up..she looked for them, threw the sealed packages (2) on the counter and left. Took my keys, cut open the boxes took out the items and packing slips, cut out my name from the cartons and left.
As to the responses so far, the store is indeed a private place, but being a place of business is not on the same ground as individual private property, that is, there must be "logical, grounded" grounds before you can ban someone from it, and I do not see this being the case here - particularly when no rule/abuse of Corporate policy occured, but the Manager as an agent of the Corp. does have the authority to ban someone.
If he feels I'm taking too long to checkout he can open another register (more than one were availabe and it's done often). He cannot tell me to go back in line for each item I wish to ring up separately, or ban me because I've been using too many (5) Rebate Cards and that's not to his liking.
But, it's difficult to judge things without bias when you yourself are involved - hence this post
My opinion, of course, I could be wrong.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The manager was only mad because it is cutting into his bonuses

tonyo2000 (Dec. 07, 2012 @ 8:01a) |

Kudos for OP keeping it cool. No need to escalate the problem.

WorkerAnt (Dec. 07, 2012 @ 1:13p) |

I use a lot of rebate cards to pay for things as well. I bought $1000 worth of VC gc using 20+ rebate gc's. My store k... (more)

my4mainecoons (Jan. 01, 2013 @ 9:31a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Can you ask for him to provide a written reason for why your not welcome at the store? Including a description of any store policy you might have violated?

Can't you just go to another Staples store?

There are a lot of Staples stores near me.

It would be cool if they had security do a citizens arrest for trespassing! That would make a good post. This post is looking in the red to yellow area. If you get arrested I'll give it green.

There are not any Staples stores near me. It depends on location.

stormdog123 said:   Can't you just go to another Staples store?

There are a lot of Staples stores near me.

I'm guessing OP doesn't live near you.

If OP lives near me, he and I would only have 1 Staples store in a 100 mile drive.

Not all of us live in bigger towns.

I feel bad for you OP. I'm fortunate to live in a metro area where, if I get shot down for a deal, I just drive a few miles to another store in the chain.

This is stupid. Tell that manager to give you a written reason. You're not doing anything wrong, you're playing by the rules of the Staples rewards program and if he has a problem, tell him to call corporate relations (or whoever handles the rewards program) and have them change the rules. Sounds like that manager had a power trip.

If it were me I would speak calmly with the manager to ask him the reasons for your "ban".

I can't believe unless you are in there everyday taking 10+ minutes at the register why he would do something like this. Purchasing FAR items or paying with rebate cards is nothing out of the ordinary - even if done on a mass scale. Stores already have policies to prevent abuse of this stuff, and as long as you are working within this policy this seems outrageous.

If indeed his problem is you taking up too much register time (especially during busy times) - you could agree to curtail this. Perhaps doing only one or two transactions at a time and then going back into line again. While I personally don't think you should have to do this - it is really your own judgement if you feel you are being unfair to other consumers or the clerks.

If the manager is rude or unwilling to provide reasons (or what you deem invalid ones), I would write to corporate detailing the whole scenario. I don't think it is necessary that you call out that all you purchase is FAR (if that is the case). Be broad in describing your purchases and state that often you have many rebates from Staples, including cards. Tell them that you purchase for both personal and business and as such request separate transactions. Tell them the manager's response to you and see what you get.

I would do this all respectfully and calmly. If after escalating to corporate (find the right contacts of course...cc to PR and HR) they don't respond or respond absurdly - I would let them know that you plan to go to the bbb, media outlets, and whatever state offices deal with consumer rights. Of course do not escalate to these threats until you have pursued normal avenues. If I had the time I would honestly pursue these methods.

Again, only you know if you are in the right and if the Manager is acting way out of turn. It seems very strange unless you have grossly under-stated the situation from your end.

BenH said:   Again, only you know if you are in the right and if the Manager is acting way out of turn. It seems very strange unless you have grossly under-stated the situation from your end.

This is what I'm thinking. You have to be pretty damned annoying to be "known" and then banned.

I gave OP green though because I want to see if there's a resolution.

There has to be more to the story because if this manager likes having a job, he wouldn't talk like that to customers. OP, tell us the part that you left out... thanks

Rebate cards are as good as cash so that can't be the reason.

Al3xK said:   BenH said:   Again, only you know if you are in the right and if the Manager is acting way out of turn. It seems very strange unless you have grossly under-stated the situation from your end.

This is what I'm thinking. You have to be pretty damned annoying to be "known" and then banned.

I gave OP green though because I want to see if there's a resolution.

You really don't have to be annoying to get the attention of the manager if your in a Staples in a small town ((hence the only Staples store within a 100 miles or more)). Anyone that follows FW Staples post will be carrying out so much free stuff that not only will the manager know you well but every employee in the store will know you along with a few customers that witness this FW deals induced fiasco. I'm in a similar situation (( only 1 store within 100 or more miles )) At least 19 times out of 20 when I approach the register the cashier calls over the manager to check me out because the cashiers have figured that some how I'm not only robbing Staples but that I was also robbing them (the cashiers).
One night after carrying out 2 printers for 0 cost I got the police called on me. Its a way to long of a story to set down and type out at the moment but long story made short the manager on that shift was fired over the incident.
This is simply a version of the FW effect, you guys and gals don't realize how much incredible deal information you've been cranking out over the last few years.
So green also for the OP for the effort of letting us know about this.

Manager probably had a bad day that's all.

Imjusthappytobehere said:   
You really don't have to be annoying to get the attention of the manager if your in a Staples in a small town...
One night after carrying out 2 printers for 0 cost I got the police called on me. Its a way to long of a story to set down and type out at the moment but long story made short the manager on that shift was fired over the incident.
This is simply a version of the FW effect, you guys and gals don't realize how much incredible deal information you've been cranking out over the last few years.
So green also for the OP for the effort of letting us know about this.

This is exactly my point. Nothing being done is illegal. Can it be exploiting the system? Perhaps - but they are the ones who designed the system and they are full aware of how it can be exploited and if they wanted to stop it they could adjust the system. They are offering good deals to bring people in. If people only take advantage of these good deals - well then that isn't the consumer's problem. Banning people from a store is not the proper way to handle it.

Especially today when there are so many news stories and web sites on bargain shopping and deals, retailers expect this behavior from the masses.

If we have the whole story then the manager should be fired...or disciplined as he is the one operating outside the boundaries.

BTW (and not to derail too much) - I was thinking about getting in more myself on Staples deals. What is the best place to look to find all the FAR stuff? I have seen scattered threads for certain weeks - but does anyone know if there is a comprehensive and updated thread that shows each week's deals? Also, does Staples normally give rebates in the form of Staples GC only or is it more common to get actual cash rebates?

(BTW I know there is this thread that explains the methods somewhat)

Also - to the OP - it seems that you indicate in the OP that you used Staple's Gift Cards (rebate cards) to purchase Visa/AMEX GC?? I was under the impression that wasn't possible.

OP: I feel your pain. The people at some office supply stores have a strong dislike for me, although never banned.

That being said, I would try to resolve this quietly with the store and if not, take it to corporate,

however in the future, just pay with ink bold or whatever flavor you prefer and switch rebate cards when possible to checks (90% of the time this is possible with Staples easy rebates) and if you end up with any rebate cards, burn them out through A.P.

Don't know how many rebate cards are at issue here and how often you do it, but if you were in front of me and others and I'm waiting 25 minutes to check out (I'm not talking BF sales type crowds here), I'm pretty pissed. This may or may not be the case, but if I knew that I was going to cause a substantial delay at the register, I would have asked to see a manager before getting in line and explain to him my method of payment. Kind of like when I get stuck at the grocery store behind a WIC user. (women, infants, and children, vouchers). Each item has to be checked off a list, one by one and so on. Can take forever. There should be separate lines for them.

JOE: All right, all right, just hold it right there.

JERRY: What?

JOE: This fruit isn't for you.

JERRY: (shocked) Wha, what are you talking about?

JOE: You think I don't know huh? Mangos, plantains, plums with the red on the inside, that's Kramer!

JERRY: I can't buy mangos and plantains?

JOE: All right, get out!

JERRY: You're making a big mistake, Joe!

JOE: I'll tell you something else: I don't what your business anymore either.

JERRY: Are saying you're banning me from the store?

JOE: That's exactly what I'm saying.

JERRY: I'm banned?!

JOE: You're banned.

I'd go in with my phone set to record the entire conversation, confront the manager politely and ask him to explain what policies you are violating and on what grounds he is banning you from that store.
If he cannot adequately explain his actions make sure you have his name so you can contact HR/corporate about the incidents.
Banning a customer is NOT a policy they should have if all you've done is cause delays at the register.

Do what i do. Hit record on your phone record the whole thing. Submit it to corporate. If your not satisfied with what they tell you then post on youtube. I have always found that if you have problems. Videos and recordings dont lie. Alway give them a chance to make it right. If they dont then post it. I went as far as to create a website one time and linked it to all sorts of sites. I went from 1 pc to 3 free pc's after the above. Had to sign a disclosure stating i would pull down my website and not say anything bad about a said pc mfg. Take it to the masses if all fails. To be quite honest they read this site im sure as well.

fixfox69 said:   UPDATE:
Almost as soon as I entered the store the Manager approached, held out his hand and apologized - I explained in detail what I thought was his unacceptable conduct (things I didn't go into here to keep thread from getting too long)
Why don't you go into the details now, since it appears there's no useful information in this thread other than the 5 cards per transaction limit.

I'm scared. I don't wanna be banned.

ronj75 said:   I'd go in with my phone set to record the entire conversation, confront the manager politely and ask him to explain what policies you are violating and on what grounds he is banning you from that store.
If he cannot adequately explain his actions make sure you have his name so you can contact HR/corporate about the incidents.
Banning a customer is NOT a policy they should have if all you've done is cause delays at the register.

In most states, it's illegal to record voice without consent.

SlamminMOFO said:   In most states, it's illegal to record voice without consent.There are some two-party states where it is illegal to record someone without their permission.
However, most states are one-party states where you, the person doing the recording, may do so with no consequences.

The manager is the person in charge of the store. The store is private property. The manager, or someone else with similar authority granted by the company or the manager, has the legal right to decide who can or can't be in the store, just as you can decide who can or can't be in your apartment, as long as there is no illegal (discrimination) reason. Other than complaining to someone above him who overrules him and instructs him to allow you in the store (unlikely) there's nothing you can do (other than try to get others to boycott the store). If you enter or remain in the store after being informed you are not permitted to be there, you are trespassing. The police will enforce this.

fixfox69 said:   
UPDATE:
Almost as soon as I entered the store the Manager approached, held out his hand and apologized - I explained in detail what I thought was his unacceptable conduct (things I didn't go into here to keep thread from getting too long) - he again apologized - the conversation was calm quiet and respectful which to me, is even more important than the now "lifted" ban. He went and got my orders - shook hands again before I left - looks like I'm going to have excellent service in the future at the store (it's the only one in walking distance).
So good ending, and good call not to call Corp. right away.
One last thing, he did show me Staples memo from end of November allowing maximum of 5 Rebate Cards per transaction. Now you know too.

That's good. Guess he was just having a bad day.

It is interesting about the "memo" - but as far as I know a memo is just an internal document. If this isn't publicly posted anywhere then a customer cannot know.
If they say "it is our policy" then all they have to do is not accept more than 5 cards and that's that. Not process 10 of them and then get mad at *you*.

Of course that is per transaction... so you can always go out to the car, come back in, and do another transaction.

Personally, if I were you I would still write to corporate and tell them about this incident. You may choose not to mention the store or at least the Manager name as you can conclude that he did apologize. The reasons I would write is to share this experience and then reference the memo in-particular and then ask Corporate something along the lines of:

"If you choose to provide rebate cards instead of cash on rebates, and then restrict the use of these cards, how is one to utilize the cards when small amounts of money are left? Will you cash these out or combine them onto a large card for me?"

In most cases 5 rebate cards should be enough - but I dislike policies like this because they design it so you have a whole bunch of cards with $2.00 on them, and you can't apply them all to one order.

mikeres said:   SlamminMOFO said:   In most states, it's illegal to record voice without consent.There are some two-party states where it is illegal to record someone without their permission.
However, most states are one-party states where you, the person doing the recording, may do so with no consequences.

The fact is though that you have no idea where the OP lives and if he is permitted to do such an act. it's better to be warned than to face his own legal consequences. Maybe I should have used the word "some" rather than most. I know in my state it is def 2 party consent.

Not sure how updated this is but it's for the recording reference

Federal Law requires "One Party Consent" for audio recording.
Here is a list of state requirements regarding audio consent:

Here is a list of state requirements regarding audio consent:
Note: Laws change constantly, please check your states current laws before engaging in recording.
If you know of a change or error, please inform us.

States with "One party Consent" for audio recording

Alabama - One Party
Alaska - One Party
Arizona - One Party
Arkansas - One Party
Colorado - One Party
District of Columbia - One Party
Georgia - One Party
Idaho - One Party
Indiana - One Party
Iowa - One Party
Kentucky - One Party
Louisiana - One Party
Maine - One Party
Minnesota - One Party
Mississippi - One Party
Missouri - One Party
Minnesota - One Party
Nebraska - One Party
New Jersey - One Party
New Mexico - One Party
New York - One Party
North Carolina - One Party
North Dakota - One Party
Oklahoma - One Party
Oregon - One Party
Ohio - One Party
Rhode Island - One Party
South Carolina - One Party
South Dakota - One Party
Tennessee - One Party
Texas - One Party
Vermont - One Party
Virginia - One Party
West Virginia - One Party
Wisconsin - One Party
Wyoming - One Party

States with "Two party Consent" for audio recording

California - Two Party
Connecticut - Two Party
Delaware - Two Party
Florida - Two Party
Hawaii - Two Party
Illinois - Two Party
Kansas - Two Party
Maryland - Two Party
Massachusetts - Two Party
Michigan - Two Party
Montana - Two Party
Nevada - Two Party
New Hampshire - Two Party
Pennsylvania - Two Party
Utah - Two Party
Washington - Two Party

Your check out acumen ranks up there with Obama's motorcade and the problems it causes and people who pull out the checkbook when the cashier tells them the amount due and then they write slow and enter the purchase into their ledger.

Speed up your check out process and knock off the separate orders. I ban you too.

You did nothing wrong, but I am surprised that the manager apologized at all. Maybe some bystander filed complaint for you?

miqie said:   Kind of like when I get stuck at the grocery store behind a WIC user. (women, infants, and children, vouchers). Each item has to be checked off a list, one by one and so on. Can take forever. There should be separate lines for them.
Such person should let other patrons and store manager know that it might take over 20 mins. If the other patrons know, then they would be less pissed. Then the store manager might open more registers.

Call the Staples Presidents 508 hotline. Predict they will not let you completely report your long detailed complaint and will go direct to asking you for a solution to make you happy.

Inside a store with long transactions, try to go first thing in the morning when the store opens when there is no customer traffic.

pietromoon said:   
JOE: All right, all right, just hold it right there.

JERRY: What?

JOE: This fruit isn't for you.

JERRY: (shocked) Wha, what are you talking about?

JOE: You think I don't know huh? Mangos, plantains, plums with the red on the inside, that's Kramer!

JERRY: I can't buy mangos and plantains?

JOE: All right, get out!

JERRY: You're making a big mistake, Joe!

JOE: I'll tell you something else: I don't what your business anymore either.

JERRY: Are saying you're banning me from the store?

JOE: That's exactly what I'm saying.

JERRY: I'm banned?!

JOE: You're banned.
That's almost as bad as being banned from Hop Sing's! But at Hop Sing's you only get banned if YOU NAME NAME!

As to OP's plight...I must admit that I actually like the idea of a store limiting (store policy change required, I'm sure) couponers' to a certain number of transactions before the couponer must go back to the end of the checkout line. Why do I feel this way? Because not every shift of every store is stocked with enough employees qualified or trained to cashier customers, and I have been in stores where a couponer on a mission from god was wanting to do transaction after transaction. After three or four, with it apparent the couponer is just warming up, I have set my purchases down and let the store know I will take my business elsewhere. (for those purchases at least)

Now I know there are at least two sides to this issue, mine and the extreme couponer, but in a polite society we are supposed to be considerate of others and not hog the last slice of pizza, accept the first offer from a friend to "pick up the check" at a restaurant, and not to assume you are the only customer that matters at Staples or elsewhere and you have the exclusive right to monopolize the only cashier with many multiple transactions, especially the more complex requiring more steps. My time, and the time of others in line, is just as valuable, and I shouldn't have to be disrespected by an extreme couponer that wants to put the lone cashier through their paces with every trick in the book, company policy allowing notwithstanding. It's called being considerate.

Bring on the red!

I happened to be stumbling through channels past one of those couponing shows and the person asked the cashier to ring them up as 50+ separate transactions so that she could use all 50+ of her coupons for the same item that limited one per customer. I'm honestly surprised any store entertains such requests. I've never even considered such a thing. Apparently some people have a lot more nerve.

maybe for the manager was new and there usually is a limit of how many cards a person can use on a single transaction (software maybe...I know that WalMart has a limit of 5 cards per transaction and then it's only cash) amd if your cards all have small interesting amounts on them (not nice like x.00) then maye with a bad day, the manager couldn't take it. These days, I usually apply the irregular amounts onto a cable or telephone bill like verizon or comcast. (basically anything that is reward checking account friendly)

good luck OP

fixfox69 said:   
As to the responses so far, the store is indeed a private place, but being a place of business is not on the same ground as individual private property, that is, there must be "logical, grounded" grounds before you can ban someone from it, and I do not see this being the case here - particularly when no rule/abuse of Corporate policy occured, but the Manager as an agent of the Corp. does have the authority to ban someone.

ABSOLUTELY WRONG. You can be banned from any store at any time so long as it is not a violation of a protected class, i.e. illegal discrimination. A store IS private property and their representatives may ban you because they don't like your shoes. It's not necessarily a good business decision but it is their right.

Glacierwolf said:   fixfox69 said:   

ABSOLUTELY WRONG. You can be banned from any store at any time so long as it is not a violation of a protected class, i.e. illegal discrimination. A store IS private property and their representatives may ban you because they don't like your shoes. It's not necessarily a good business decision but it is their right.

I would say its a good business decision when the effort to deal with one customer is interfering with the conducting business with many others. What has staple's got to lose from the OP never coming back again? Not a thing, as far as I can tell.

The FWF crowd seems to think that a business has to service them when, in fact, nothing could be further from the truth.

Glacierwolf said:   fixfox69 said:   

(Amazingly) you appear to be CORRECT.
I stand corrected

Edit:
It appears that your blanket statement is wrong after all, although it's the prevalent view on the Internet.
In reality, the issue depends on the State approach to the issue. For instance, you cannot be banned from a place of business in CA if the manager does not like the color of your shirt.

Mickie3 said:   Glacierwolf said:   fixfox69 said:   

I would say its a good business decision when the effort to deal with one customer is interfering with the conducting business with many others. What has staple's got to lose from the OP never coming back again? Not a thing, as far as I can tell.

The FWF crowd seems to think that a business has to service them when, in fact, nothing could be further from the truth.

Totally agree OP. These businesses run to make a profit. They offer deals to get people in the door. Some of us push the limits sometimes (me included) but I try and be civil and patient with the sales clerks/managers. I would never think of holding up a line doing multiple purchases, if it is that important to me I will make multiple trips or come in when I know it will be slow. I think everyone needs to remember stores are in business to make a profit, if you contribute to that great, if not don't abuse it.

Skipping 25 Messages...
I use a lot of rebate cards to pay for things as well. I bought $1000 worth of VC gc using 20+ rebate gc's. My store knows me as a person who uses a lot of gift cards & coupons.
I know the limit used to be 10 Straples gc and now it sounds like its down to 5 but my interpretation was that the policy pertained to Straples gc not the Visa gc we get from rebates because as the Straples Rebate site tells us, those are just like cash.

I think if you were to contact Corporate they would tell you that the limit applies to Straples gc and not Visa gc such as are issued by Straples/Parago for SER's.

I always take longer than the average person to check out so I do it when it is less likely to cause a problem.
If I'm in line and people join the line I always let them go ahead of me.
The customer says "are you sure?"
"Yes, go ahead."
"Really?".
Cashier says to other customer "yes, go ahead of him", lol
I shop off-hours which also makes it easier. If the store is busy I'll do one transaction and go through the line again for the next one.

At Rite Aid (yes, I'm one of those folks) they often have to call to have another register opened because a line forms while cashier is handling my purchase. Sometimes I'll find the back up cashier in the aisle before I check out and let them know that they'll probably be needed. SM and AM will hang out near register when I check out knowing that there may be coupon issues-- cashier or system related, not because I'm mis-using. I'll tell them in advance of problematic coupons and let them know when they won't need to hang out any longer. Sometimes I'll get "attitude" from a new cashier because I'm only paying pennies for $100 worth of merchandise. They think of me as a thief. Once someone explains to them that coupons & gc are forms of payment and store gets reimbursed for them, the attitude changes.

In grocery store I'll let front end manager know of any issues before I check out. Sometimes they open a register for me rather than have me hold up a line.

All of these stores know that I use a lot of gift cards and coupons but I am not mis-using them. They know that these are all legitimate forms of payment. They realize that I spend a lot of money in their stores. They treat me very well.

To the person who asked, you can't use Staples gc's to buy gc's but you can use Visa/MC gc that we receive for rebates to pay for other gift cards. YMMV tho as some stores (ignorantly) won't allow it.

I agree, it sounds like the manager was having a bad day. He apologized but he also needs to know about the attitude the cashier copped.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.