Anybody used truecar.com?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I just saw a commercial for truecar.com and since I am in the early stages of researching a new vehicle, I checked it out. It is a website for car buying that tells what others have paid in your area. Almost seems like a biddingfortravel or betterbidding site that can be used in conjunction with Hotwire and Priceline.

I checked out a couple of vehicles that were on my short list and compared the Truecar suggested prices with the TMV prices on Edmunds and the Truecar prices were considerably less. These prices aren't guaranteed, but are to be used to negotiate with dealers. According to the website, they also have thousands of dealers in their network and you can spec a vehicle and get quotes from these dealers. Not sure if they add on the usual inflated BS fees on top of the truecar price or not.

Has anybody heard anything good or bad about this site??

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

There was another thread in Deal Discussion last year about Truecar.com, I will repost my response:

I used it when I purchased a 2010 Honda CRV in Dec 2009. I found it very informative. It is nice to see what people have paid and what you should shoot for. I was able to get very close to the best price. It was funny when I was negotiating with the Sales guy and I kept trying to get him to get lower on the price and he asked me where I was getting my numbers from. I did not tell him, I just told him I wanted the best deal I could get. But you can see from the site what the dealership pays for the car and what would be a reasonable profit on it. If you use the other tactics like going towards the end of the month and already have your financing set up you should be good to go. I paid for a more detailed breakdown they offer on the site (I think it is around $10) but it did not help any more than just using the numbers from the site. I hope this was helpful.

I used Truecar to get prices and then negotiated with the Internet sales person of a dealership that had the car I wanted. I negotiated the price before I went to see the car (it was over 2 hours away). With a price we both agreed upon we went and saw the car, drove it and bought it. It was exactly what we wanted. If you already know what you want and can find the car I would suggest this form of negotiation. I was not locked in to purchase if the car did not satisfy.

Truecar has changed their business model recently, and may no longer be helpful.

Truecar now a dealer friendly site

Thanks and reps to all rep[lies.

Thanks Adam. I never heard of carwoo! but it looks interesting. I am sending out bid requests to dealers in my area and will then decide if I want to do the carwoo! route.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014