Basic Cable may get more expensive

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
We should keep this thread going on how to get cable channels as cheaply as possible. I was getting all of the advanced... (more)

Retailnever (Dec. 12, 2012 @ 3:15p) |

Retailnever, that's not how the filters work. Cable is cable. Chances are someone climbed the pole and removed the fil... (more)

wizwor (Dec. 12, 2012 @ 7:36p) |

I hate ESPN.com and am a sports lover. I've honestly not watched ESPN.com in years ever since they went to more entertai... (more)

saladdin (Dec. 13, 2012 @ 6:52a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I just moved to a new place and when Comcast came out to do the install, the tech told me there was no point to hooking up my secondary tv direct to the outlet without a cable box. He stated they were going to require all tv's to have a box, but he didn't have the actual date. He tried to tell me there was no charge for their digital adapter, but Comcast actually charges $1.95 for it and you can't get high def through those stupid adapters which I get free through qam. Just another reason Comcast sucks!

Yes, Comcast in my area requires the adapter for almost all the channels
I dropped and got Netflix
For the price of Basic Cable I could get Nexflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Redbox Streaming and have money left over

The stations you can get through the air, you can get with Cable and a HDTVD in HD.
And channel that is encrypted needs a cable box (or card) and only the first 480i box is free.

Additional mini-converter boxes (for old tube TV) are also free.
but will only get Basic even if you subscribe to economy packet.

To get HDbox is and extra $10/month, I opted out and use that for Netflix instead.

We have the digital preferred package with 15MB internet for $88 + taxes per month.

We can get all channels on the digital starter tier (97 channels of which we watch 31) with just the digital adapters. A set top box is required to get the remaining 68 channels (of which we watch 12) and On Demand.

We get one set top box and the first two digital adapters free (because we have had them from the start), $1.99 for each digital adapter after the first 2. New customers now pay for all digital adapters (none free).

We dropped the DVR and went back to our old Replay TV PVR. And we have WDTV Live+, with external hard drives, on all the tv's. Although we have 4 HD tv's, we do not subscribe to HD programming. My son can get all the On Demand programming with his XBox 360 (xbox live required). We don't care for the old programming on Netflix but may try Hulu Plus again.

In Virginia like the above reply we get 1 standard def box that can get one demand and the program guide and 2 DTAs included with the package. The DTAs have no on demand and no guide. Also they are standard def. I am getting an HD-HomeRun Prime soon that uses cable card and the M-Card should be free or about $3/mo.

So cord cutters are on the rise and there are far fewer cable subscribers than there have been in decades and the solution is to RAISE prices? Sounds like a winning plan to me.

aadam101 said:   So cord cutters are on the rise and there are far fewer cable subscribers than there have been in decades and the solution is to RAISE prices? Sounds like a winning plan to me.

They take their plays from the USPS playbook.

From the nbcnews.com link: Cable companies want to scramble everything coming through their wire, including basic service. They say this will allow them to reduce theft – prevent people from watching programs they didn’t pay for – and improve customer service.Text

Yep this happened to me over a year ago. Kept seeing the "get your cable box" type notices on about every channel. I figured with a new(ish) TV I had all the built in digital/QAM built in already and ignored it. Sure enough one evening when I went to watch TV almost every channel was blocked. Had to add a Digital Transport Adapter (DTA) at the minimum. Of course, this also stopped ALL HD channels including even the local ones. The local CSM even admitted there was no technical reason for it but it was being implemented to stop channel theft. I did find a link that showed the hookup with a two way splitter and A/B switch to switch the DTA in and out of the cable path so if I want to see the few local channels in HD I can.

Locally have had a $10 price increase ($5 Internet and $5 cable) within the past couple months. So, I'm on the verge of getting the most basic cable and subscribing to a couple web based sources like AcornOnline, Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc.

It is almost like extortion. Make changes for reasons like "cable theft" that force you to need a cable box, and then charge you an arm and a leg for it.

I still get the local channels for free.. thanks to splitting the internet cable wire and putting it directly in TV.

To get HD with Basic, just connect it to your tv, but to get the other ones you need to use DT thingy.

Try http://www.titantv.com/ register & make a new lineup, choose Broadcast Stations, see what you can get with that as those are antenna ones.

It's stuff like this that made us drop cable and just run OTA.

We like to tell people (in our best Beverly Hillbillies voice) that we don't have "the fancy channels"

cablevision did scramble all their channels in NJ area. No box no TV only OTA if you are willing to go with an antenna or something similar.
I went ahead and opted for HDHR3-CC the network tuner and now i can stream TV on my network to all PC on the network. I use 42" TV as my monitor on PC.
one time investment of $150 and it gives me three tuners and cablevision charges something like $5 monthly for cable card. Lot cheaper than $7 for a gaint box or $17 for a DVR box and you are stuck to that TV.
Have a spare PC which will be configured as MythTV DVR and record shows for leisure viewing.

"may" get more expensive? more like "will" (sigh)

it's a nice heads up for those who aren't paying attention to the bill already

bhavin66 said:   cablevision did scramble all their channels in NJ area.I get basic OTA channels here in Morris county through Cablevision without paying for it. I just pay for the internet.. and split the cable with one end going to router and other straight to TV. I am also getting some channels like MSG+, Crime Channel, Fox Sports, CNBE, OWN, etc.. which I most likely should not be getting.

They take their play from the labor union playbook.

KayK said:   bhavin66 said:   cablevision did scramble all their channels in NJ area.I get basic OTA channels here in Morris county through Cablevision without paying for it. I just pay for the internet.. and split the cable with one end going to router and other straight to TV. I am also getting some channels like MSG+, Crime Channel, Fox Sports, CNBE, OWN, etc.. which I most likely should not be getting.

i started getting the emails and screen msg in September for October and it stopped in November in middlesex county raritan area.

The NBC News story originated from this post Consumer World post.

I have one HD box (for $9.99 a month) in the living room, and my other three small HDTVs in the kitchen, office, and guest room will all need boxes. My desktop has a TV card, and it will need a box too.

There is nothing in the FCC rule that requires that the temporary free boxes given to you by the cable companies will need to be HD boxes. That is a BIG omission. The smaller "adapters" do NOT pass-through an HD signal. And for me, 4 additional HD boxes would cost $40 a month. I will be forced to go back to using an antenna on each. How 1970s.

RCN, my provider, will be encrypting basic cable in the first or second quarter of 2013.

Edgar

KayK said:   I still get the local channels for free.. thanks to splitting the internet cable wire and putting it directly in TV.

Here there's a filter out in the box under the sidewalk to keep you from doing that.

We are rural (and mountainous) and would only get 5 channels OTA. I would love to see some specialty shops for OTA antennas. The only option we have is a Radio Shack Dealer that won't take returns for antennas. There would be nothing like buying their recommended antenna and then it now work.

jimates said:   We are rural (and mountainous) and would only get 5 channels OTA. I would love to see some specialty shops for OTA antennas. The only option we have is a Radio Shack Dealer that won't take returns for antennas. There would be nothing like buying their recommended antenna and then it now work.

You could try Amazon as they take returns and have some good antennas. You could start with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-ClearStream4-HDTV-Antenna/...

If that does not work you could try the next one up here:

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-C4-CJM-20-Inch-ClearStream...

or this one but it is not difectly from Amazon so not sure on the return policy:

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-8-bay-Antenna-CM4228HD/dp/B...

As with all antennas the higher you can mount it the better and if at all possible mount it outside of your house. Even in an attic the signal loss is pretty huge. Good luck

I used to subscribe to cable. But then I cancelled because I realized that, even with 100+ channels at my fingertips, I hardly have the time to really watch any of them. Truth be told, I think I'm only interested in probably like three of them: Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and Discovery. The rest to me is like mindless chatter that is of no value. If they offer like an ala carte service for the channels I want, I'll be more incline to sign back up again.

Yea we have a large antenna from Radio Shack in my attic and get around 40-45 channels OTA. Many are 720p/1080i and much better quality than cable.
We live near major city so if you live in the “woods” like my parents then mount it outside the house above the roof line. Also get a GOOD signal booster before you split the line for the house.

Only negative is cable/fios is using internet to subsidize their lower TV income. So for use internet cost $10 more a month than if we had TV as well.

Someone needs to make replacement cable boxes that are dirt cheap. Create one DVR box that supports 1-3 cable cards, so that you can choose how many channels to use. The same box should have a local hard drive, but also support esata and network storage. Create another tiny box such as an android stick, which connects to the main box and uses it to stream channels or recorded programming.

I think there could be a big market for this.

snork615 said:   They take their play from the labor union playbook.

You mean from the corporate greed book, where they take pension contributions out of people's pay check and use it to run the business instead of contributing to the pension plan, as happened with Hostess?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/10/hostess-pensions-divert...

m2go said:   snork615 said:   They take their play from the labor union playbook.

You mean from the corporate greed book, where they take pension contributions out of people's pay check and use it to run the business instead of contributing to the pension plan, as happened with Hostess?

I think that was a last ditch survival effort. The Hostess incident isn't a good example.

russ0519 said:   Someone needs to make replacement cable boxes that are dirt cheap. Create one DVR box that supports 1-3 cable cards, so that you can choose how many channels to use. The same box should have a local hard drive, but also support esata and network storage. Create another tiny box such as an android stick, which connects to the main box and uses it to stream channels or recorded programming.

Such a product might exist. Don't you need to rent the cable cards though?

jimates said:   We are rural (and mountainous) and would only get 5 channels OTA. I would love to see some specialty shops for OTA antennas. The only option we have is a Radio Shack Dealer that won't take returns for antennas. There would be nothing like buying their recommended antenna and then it now work.

The big problem is, everyone lives in a different location. So one antenna that works for you may not work for someone else. For example, you may have multiple stations spread evenly out in every direction. You'd need an omnidirectional antenna. Or if you have a bunch of stations all in one direction, then you'd need a directional antenna. Or let's say you have a terrible situation where you have half of them to the north, the other half to the east. Or you have a mountain or trees that reflect the signal. Which antenna is best?

I feel for you, because I had to go through a bunch of antennas before finding one that works good for me. I bought a ton and even tried to build one - which worked surprisingly well. I ended up using the Mohu leaf because it is super small and worked better than all the others I've tried. Go figure.

russ0519 said:   Someone needs to make replacement cable boxes that are dirt cheap. Create one DVR box that supports 1-3 cable cards, so that you can choose how many channels to use. The same box should have a local hard drive, but also support esata and network storage. Create another tiny box such as an android stick, which connects to the main box and uses it to stream channels or recorded programming.

Great idea, but what would we call it; maybe a HTPC. The problem would be that it would cost $300 - $400.

akbungle said:   jimates said:   We are rural (and mountainous) and would only get 5 channels OTA. I would love to see some specialty shops for OTA antennas. The only option we have is a Radio Shack Dealer that won't take returns for antennas. There would be nothing like buying their recommended antenna and then it now work.

You could try Amazon as they take returns and have some good antennas. You could start with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-ClearStream4-HDTV-Antenna/...

If that does not work you could try the next one up here:

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-C4-CJM-20-Inch-ClearStream...

or this one but it is not difectly from Amazon so not sure on the return policy:

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-8-bay-Antenna-CM4228HD/dp/B...

As with all antennas the higher you can mount it the better and if at all possible mount it outside of your house. Even in an attic the signal loss is pretty huge. Good luck

this is me. I was right, 4 networks and 3 PBS channels. Not worth cutting the cord for.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dcc49c...

NBCNews.com said: Cable companies want to scramble everything coming through their wire, including basic service. They say this will allow them to...prevent people from watching programs they didn’t pay for...

Two years and counting!

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/

I have been watching of channels I do not pay for for nearly two years. Maybe this move will help a lot more people watch channels they do not pay for.

Chances are you could get along with those five OTA channels. Those five channels probably include your broadcast networks which carry local news and programming. For more programming, you could add a Roku or some other kind of streaming client. Get an LT with lifetime Playon.tv for $70 and you can watch Hulu and a bunch of 'cable' programming for free. Add Netflix or Prime for $8/month and you may not miss cable at all.

wizwor said:   jimates said:   We are rural (and mountainous) and would only get 5 channels OTA. I would love to see some specialty shops for OTA antennas. The only option we have is a Radio Shack Dealer that won't take returns for antennas. There would be nothing like buying their recommended antenna and then it now work.
Chances are you could get along with those five OTA channels. Those five channels probably include your broadcast networks which carry local news and programming. For more programming, you could add a Roku or some other kind of streaming client. Get an LT with lifetime Playon.tv for $70 and you can watch Hulu and a bunch of 'cable' programming for free. Add Netflix or Prime for $8/month and you may not miss cable at all.
If we changed what we watched we could cut the cord. But then if we didn't watch at all we could cut the cord and save even more. Bottom line is no one wants to change their viewing habits, they just want to get what they want cheaper.

abc
nbc
cbs
fox
wwcp
wgn
fnc
lifetime
lifetime movie network
tbs
a&e
usa
disc
hgtv
food
tlc
travel
fx
bravo
abc family
history
bio
gmc
hallmark movie channel
hallmark channel
science channel
nat geo
diy
7 encore channels

had Netflix, not for us
Hulu Plus would be ok, and probably a must have without cable.

I had to fight this stupid "Digital Adapter Charge" from Comcast for the past 6 months, each month being continuously charged for it and calling customer care to remove the charge. Because I only have one adapter, I shouldn't be charged for it, and here is Comcast's terms on this digital adapter charge: linky

Customer care always tell me they will remove the charge by next months bill. They never successfully did. Heck, I don't even know why I let them continue to do this. We will see this upcoming month to see if they REALLY removed it. Of course I have them credit back my account for that charge, but it's annoying to have to call them every month. And please BE AWARE, some of the customer care agents do not realize that the first 2 adapters are free of charge. I had to show them proof by providing them that link. One agent tried to convince me that they started charging for digital adapters starting July 2012 and that the above link was not updated, despite the fact that it has a time stamp of August 8, 2012?

On top of that they increased the charges for my Internet and Cable as well, none of which I knew until I compared the charge to my previous bills. I called Comcast about it and the gist of their explanation was to keep business afloat and to cover their increasing costs. I'm getting pretty fed up with Comcast, but unfortunately they are the best ISP in my area.

Definately something that requires thought. We didn't cut the cable then cobble together some sort of replacement. I had VOIP, OTA, and Netflix for months before cancelling comcast. One of the things that surprised me was what we watched and how we watched it. To be honest, I didn't plan to leave comcast and it wasn't all about money. We lost power, internet, and cable in home for a week. We had a generator, so I set up an antenna we bought for camping to see if I could catch some news. To my surprise, we got a lot of channels and they looked great. When the power came back on, I left my bedroom set connected to the antenna. As comcast moved channels to places my digital hdtvs could not tune, my kids asked me to hook their bedroom sets to the antenna. My wife was the only holdout and she was only holding out for the Food Network and The History Channel. That's what I was paying for. I got playon.tv so we could watch these. When MeTV arrived, that became her background noise channel.

I also monitored out DVR usage during the transition and decided we didn't use it. While no one was recording shows, everyone was pausing, rewinding, and fastforwarding. I ended up getting a DTVPal DVR which has brought much joy. I liked it so much, I bought one for each of our five sets. Everyone records shows on these all the time. How come? 1) they are easier to use than the Comcast DVRs. 2) With five DVRs, people recorded what they wanted where they watch tv.

OTA will be an adventure for you. Your fox affiliate is vhf, so you will either need two antennas or one that supports both uhf and vhf plus your closest pbs affiliate is at the fringe and ot of line with your other channels, so you will need a wider band antenna which will have less range. PBS is kind of awesome, because they are running a lot of subchannels that mimic some of the cable Staples -- create, explore, world, and kids run cooking, diy, discovery, travel, and kids programming. BUT, you have alternatives in the pink that are perfectly alighned and uhf, so an 91xg might get the job done. I notice you did not include a height. Sometimes ten feet (set top vs attic vs roof) can make a big difference.

Bon voyage!

jimates said:   wizwor said:   jimates said:   We are rural (and mountainous) and would only get 5 channels OTA. I would love to see some specialty shops for OTA antennas. The only option we have is a Radio Shack Dealer that won't take returns for antennas. There would be nothing like buying their recommended antenna and then it now work.
If we changed what we watched we could cut the cord. But then if we didn't watch at all we could cut the cord and save even more. Bottom line is no one wants to change their viewing habits, they just want to get what they want cheaper.

abc
nbc
cbs
fox
wwcp
wgn
fnc
lifetime
lifetime movie network
tbs
a&e
usa
disc
hgtv
food
tlc
travel
fx
bravo
abc family
history
bio
gmc
hallmark movie channel
hallmark channel
science channel
nat geo
diy
7 encore channels

had Netflix, not for us

wizwor said:   Definately something that requires thought. We didn't cut the cable then cobble together some sort of replacement. I had VOIP, OTA, and Netflix for months before cancelling comcast. One of the things that surprised me was what we watched and how we watched it. To be honest, I didn't plan to leave comcast and it wasn't all about money. We lost power, internet, and cable in home for a week. We had a generator, so I set up an antenna we bought for camping to see if I could catch some news. To my surprise, we got a lot of channels and they looked great. When the power came back on, I left my bedroom set connected to the antenna. As comcast moved channels to places my digital hdtvs could not tune, my kids asked me to hook their bedroom sets to the antenna. My wife was the only holdout and she was only holding out for the Food Network and The History Channel. That's what I was paying for. I got playon.tv so we could watch these. When MeTV arrived, that became her background noise channel.

I also monitored out DVR usage during the transition and decided we didn't use it. While no one was recording shows, everyone was pausing, rewinding, and fastforwarding. I ended up getting a DTVPal DVR which has brought much joy. I liked it so much, I bought one for each of our five sets. Everyone records shows on these all the time. How come? 1) they are easier to use than the Comcast DVRs. 2) With five DVRs, people recorded what they wanted where they watch tv.

OTA will be an adventure for you. Your fox affiliate is vhf, so you will either need two antennas or one that supports both uhf and vhf plus your closest pbs affiliate is at the fringe and ot of line with your other channels, so you will need a wider band antenna which will have less range. PBS is kind of awesome, because they are running a lot of subchannels that mimic some of the cable Staples -- create, explore, world, and kids run cooking, diy, discovery, travel, and kids programming. BUT, you have alternatives in the pink that are perfectly alighned and uhf, so an 91xg might get the job done. I notice you did not include a height. Sometimes ten feet (set top vs attic vs roof) can make a big difference.

Bon voyage!

jimates said:   wizwor said:   jimates said:   We are rural (and mountainous) and would only get 5 channels OTA. I would love to see some specialty shops for OTA antennas. The only option we have is a Radio Shack Dealer that won't take returns for antennas. There would be nothing like buying their recommended antenna and then it now work.

abc
nbc
cbs
fox
wwcp
wgn
fnc
lifetime
lifetime movie network
tbs
a&e
usa
disc
hgtv
food
tlc
travel
fx
bravo
abc family
history
bio
gmc
hallmark movie channel
hallmark channel
science channel
nat geo
diy
7 encore channels

had Netflix, not for us
I should have included a height, but I can't get above the trees anyways.
Here is with 25 ft height.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dcc490...

I checked one time and there is one tower about 15 miles away in one direction and the rest (4 or 5 grouped on Wapsy mountain) about 12 miles away in the direct opposite direction.

If I could pay ESPN.com their $5.00 directly and bypass TWC I'd cut the cord. Between the OTA networks, Hulu and ESPN.com I've be set.

ohmic314 said:   jimates said:   We are rural (and mountainous) and would only get 5 channels OTA. I would love to see some specialty shops for OTA antennas. The only option we have is a Radio Shack Dealer that won't take returns for antennas. There would be nothing like buying their recommended antenna and then it now work.

The big problem is, everyone lives in a different location. So one antenna that works for you may not work for someone else. For example, you may have multiple stations spread evenly out in every direction. You'd need an omnidirectional antenna. Or if you have a bunch of stations all in one direction, then you'd need a directional antenna. Or let's say you have a terrible situation where you have half of them to the north, the other half to the east. Or you have a mountain or trees that reflect the signal. Which antenna is best?

I feel for you, because I had to go through a bunch of antennas before finding one that works good for me. I bought a ton and even tried to build one - which worked surprisingly well. I ended up using the Mohu leaf because it is super small and worked better than all the others I've tried. Go figure.

Ran the scan linked above. I have no channels "in the green" and about 50 in the grey. I would need the Hubble to get OTA.

Skipping 5 Messages...
I hate ESPN.com and am a sports lover. I've honestly not watched ESPN.com in years ever since they went to more entertainment then sports. I get the MLB channel thru my Roku and always find at least 5-10 different streams
for the 'skins on Sunday. There is no sporting event you can't find (even illegal PPV like boxing and MMA fights).

$30 for internet
$8 for Netflix

That's my fixed costs. Throw in a rented movie or two off Amazon and still under $50.

Like the guy aboce said. I put a splitter on the coax going to my cable internet and get basic cable for free. Please save teh "it's stealing" thing. I know. I don't cheat on taxes, I return wallets I find but I'll take free cable all day long...

But I've also never had the need for HD programming, DVR's (have never had one)or bluerays (again, never have seen a blueray movie).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014