• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I've had "invalid" rebates for missing UPC on a number of 2013 McAfee submissions for software purchased around BF and early December at both Staples B&M and com.

Have had to e-mail or do chat now 3 seperate times to get rebates validated which were erroneously "invalidated" to start with (they werew properly submitted with original UPC).

Be sure to stay on top of any of your submissions as I'm sure this will affect many, and not just myself.

www.rebateshq.com

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This will be the last time I purchase McAfee product

I stapled the UPC code on my rebate form and the agent insisted that... (more)

amenluo (Jan. 16, 2013 @ 6:07p) |

don't use staaples to attach UPC. Not sure how they scan them but I think having a staple in there messes it up.
FWIW I ... (more)

my4mainecoons (Jan. 16, 2013 @ 11:25p) |

I've submitted two rebates within the last month and both were reported as valid and in final processing.

yoregano (Jan. 17, 2013 @ 10:22a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I am beginning to think the macafee guy is not a good guy.

same happened to me last week. I chatted with them and problem fixed.

John McAfee arrested in Guatemala - Telegraph
www.telegraph.co.uk ... Guatemala
Dec 6, 2012 The fugitive software millionaire John McAfee has been arrested in Guatemala after more than three weeks on the run, and is now facing ...

John McAfee has been arrested in Guatemala City, where metadata stored on a photo had pinpointed his presence earlier this week. The sexagenarian founder of the eponymous antivirus software had been wanted for questioning in next-door Belize, after his neighbor was shot dead last month.

yesidonoitall said:   John McAfee arrested in Guatemala - Telegraph
Dec 6, 2012 The fugitive software millionaire John McAfee has been arrested in Guatemala after more than three weeks on the run, and is now facing ...

John McAfee has been arrested in Guatemala City, where metadata stored on a photo had pinpointed his presence earlier this week. The sexagenarian founder of the eponymous antivirus software had been wanted for questioning in next-door Belize, after his neighbor was shot dead last month.

I thought he was living in a hotel in Miami.

my4mainecoons said:   yesidonoitall said:   John McAfee arrested in Guatemala - Telegraph

I thought he was living in a hotel in Miami.

He is now, but it shows how his company will want to keep all the money they can.

Same happened to me last week.. I had to chat with them..
and they fixed without telling me the reason why it was invalidated at the first place..

Anyway I am going to submit more McAfee rebates.. but when they invalidate and dont fix I will stop buying McAfee.

Just for the record, John McAfee no longer owns McAfee Software. He sold it to Intel two years ago. Intel retains the brand name, and is the current developer of the McAfee security software.

jwsm said:   Just for the record, John McAfee no longer owns McAfee Software. He sold it to Intel two years ago. Intel retains the brand name, and is the current developer of the McAfee security software.

Why state facts and ruin a good discussion? Ignorance is Bliss. Mob mentality FTW.

Received email just now about invalid rebate. Sent them email immediately asking reason.
Looks like better to chat tomorrow.
thanks

I have not done these rebates in a while but a year or two ago they did the same to two of my rebates and upon contacting them it was magicaly fixed. Is this a scam?

Received the email on Wed. Everything is fine. I submitted the rebate through their wbsite, not Staples paper form.
Below is my rebate status:
Rebate: $54.00 Check
Rebate Information For: xxxxxxxxx
Promotion: $54 Mail in Rebate on McAfee Internet Security 3User 2013 (SKUs 959599, 957358, 982947) at Staples
Submission Type: ON-LINE
Date Received: 12-12-2012
Status Detail: Your rebate is valid and is scheduled for final processing.

newbietx said:   I have not done these rebates in a while but a year or two ago they did the same to two of my rebates and upon contacting them it was magicaly fixed. Is this a scam?

in the sense that if you never follow up with them, you never get your money. I find it hard to believe they brazenly invalidate 100's of perfectly valid rebate submissions.

so to answer your question, yeah, it kind of is. gives rebates a bad name and explains why many people avoid McAfee deals and mail in rebates in general.

I did 2 Staples rebates (different products), one in Oct and one in Nov. Received emails that they were valid. Let's hope they don't change their minds. I've been avoiding McAfee unless "absolutely necessary". I had $300 in Rewards to convert so that qualified as "necessary". Now back to avoiding McAfee.

McAfee rebates section has been doing this for years. They play the "invalid" card. Those who have the drive to chat might be fortunate to get their rebate else the money is pocketed by someone else. I stopped doing McAfee rebates..

I had a Staples easy rebate for 100 cdrs listed as invalid because of invalid UPC. Come on, you don't even send in the UPC. If it wasn't on your receipt it wouldn't even allow you to do the easy rebate. Staples easy rebates are handled by rebateshq....go figure. A quick chat fixed the problem because I am such a "valued" customer. HAHA Heard that hundreds of times before.

Waiting to see the status of my McAfee rebates. I hope I am still a "valued" customer.

MISTERCHEAP said:   newbietx said:   I have not done these rebates in a while but a year or two ago they did the same to two of my rebates and upon contacting them it was magicaly fixed. Is this a scam?

in the sense that if you never follow up with them, you never get your money. I find it hard to believe they brazenly invalidate 100's of perfectly valid rebate submissions.

so to answer your question, yeah, it kind of is. gives rebates a bad name and explains why many people avoid McAfee deals and mail in rebates in general.

Correct MC that's what I meant. So the percentage of those who actually send in the rebate is a small fraction. Of those some of the rebates are invalidated (for genuine reasons).

Now of the remaining (actually valid) rebates they still go ahead and invalidate them. Of those the ones who actually follow up and try to get it corrected must be such a small fraction of the ones who actually mailed the rebates in.

So yeah this is a great scam being pulled by McAfee.

Mine was reported invalid as well, the reason being the UPC code was invalid. There was no doubt in my mind that the product UPC code matched with the rebate offer, so I demanded they scan the UPC code they received and send it to me. They couldn't do that, so they just replied back with the number of the UPC code that I turned in. I Googled the number to confirm that the UPC code did in fact match the product and pointed it out to the customer service. Since I was a "valued customer," they validated my rebate.

I'm just glad they didn't pull a "Didn't receive UPC code" or "The rebate might've gotten lost in the mail" to complicate things even further.

Over the years I've done tons of mail-in-rebates (for all kinds of different software). "Missing UPCs" and other random errors were fairly common (maybe one in ten Parago rebates).
I've found that nearly every "missing UPC" problem was easily resolved. Over the phone or online chat I was generally told I was a "valued customer" and they fixed it. A couple times I had to fax or mail in the copy of the UPC I had saved to resolve.

The only rebate I was unable to resolve was a Samsung rebate for a Bluetooth headset where they claimed I hadn't included the original UPC and refused to accept my copy as proof. Tried calling a couple times, receiving the same response. Could probably have resolved through escalation, but figured I'd come out ahead on enough "double dipping" rebates that finally missing one didn't bother me as much.

Also, wanted to add: It's not unheard of for someone at the rebate processor to fat-finger the UPC code they're looking for when setting up the rebate in their system. This can lead to a larger percentage of the rebates for that particular promotion coming back as "invalid," where the only ones making it through are the ones where the person processing is asleep at the wheel.

jwsm said:   Just for the record, John McAfee no longer owns McAfee Software. He sold it to Intel two years ago. Intel retains the brand name, and is the current developer of the McAfee security software.

Just for the correct record: John McAfee the AV company founder sold McAfee, the AV company, over a decade ago. He has not had anything to do with McAfee the AV company since he sold it to a private equity in 2000. John McAfee spent a decade squandering his fortune he received from the sale of his company culminating in one helluva personal bankruptcy estate auction here in AZ 2 years ago.

cnIsfg said:   jwsm said:   Just for the record, John McAfee no longer owns McAfee Software. He sold it to Intel two years ago. Intel retains the brand name, and is the current developer of the McAfee security software.

Just for the correct record: John McAfee the AV company founder sold McAfee, the AV company, over a decade ago. He has not had anything to do with McAfee the AV company since he sold it to a private equity in 2000. John McAfee spent a decade squandering his fortune he received from the sale of his company culminating in one helluva personal bankruptcy estate auction here in AZ 2 years ago.
"The company was incorporated in the state of Delaware in 1992, and McAfee resigned from the company in 1994.[3] Two years after McAfee Associates went public, McAfee sold his remaining stake in the company." So, McAfee has in effect not been involved with or had a financial interest in the company for almost two decades.

Well, my rebate for McAfee IS 3 user is invalid for missing email confirmation and/or missing UPC or invalid UPC. Very odd because my daughter's is also invalid for the same reasons. Someone needs to stop these crooks from wasting honest people's time.

Watergod said:   I had a Staples easy rebate for 100 cdrs listed as invalid because of invalid UPC. Come on, you don't even send in the UPC. If it wasn't on your receipt it wouldn't even allow you to do the easy rebate. Staples easy rebates are handled by rebateshq....go figure. A quick chat fixed the problem because I am such a "valued" customer. HAHA Heard that hundreds of times before.

Waiting to see the status of my McAfee rebates. I hope I am still a "valued" customer.

weird... i just did like 6 of these in last 2 months and all got valid....

camar0 said:   weird... i just did like 6 of these in last 2 months and all got valid....

download or boxed? wondering if the problems are most prevelant with one over the other.

so far i bought 3 McAfee 2013 products this year.

1 from Office Depot antivirus ($47 - i received the prepaid card today)
2 from Staples
1 total protection (so far so good)
1 internet security (i just had to call them this morning due to "invalid upc or missing upc or missing email confirmation")
when i called them, the lady explained that according to their system, the upc didn't match, but the sku number is vaild...so she approved me)

Now they have added "household limit exceeded." This is the only rebate for McAfee is 2013 3 user at Staples that I have submitted. Perhaps the Texas AG would like to hear (again) about their practices.

Watergod said:   Well, my rebate for McAfee IS 3 user is invalid for missing email confirmation and/or missing UPC or invalid UPC. Very odd because my daughter's is also invalid for the same reasons. Someone needs to stop these crooks from wasting honest people's time.

Watergod said:   I had a Staples easy rebate for 100 cdrs listed as invalid because of invalid UPC. Come on, you don't even send in the UPC. If it wasn't on your receipt it wouldn't even allow you to do the easy rebate. Staples easy rebates are handled by rebateshq....go figure. A quick chat fixed the problem because I am such a "valued" customer. HAHA Heard that hundreds of times before.

Wheeeeee. "Since you are a valued McAfee customer, I have validated this rebate submission as a one time accommodation." What a PIA to go through just about each and every time.

Watergod said:   Now they have added "household limit exceeded." This is the only rebate for McAfee is 2013 3 user at Staples that I have submitted. Perhaps the Texas AG would like to hear (again) about their practices.

Watergod said:   Well, my rebate for McAfee IS 3 user is invalid for missing email confirmation and/or missing UPC or invalid UPC. Very odd because my daughter's is also invalid for the same reasons. Someone needs to stop these crooks from wasting honest people's time.

welcome to rebate hell. Need to keep those redemption numbers nice and low to get Staples to re-up the contract. For every one FW'er who does chat, there are 9 others who don't bother or don't know they were rejected.

ok i spoke too soon... just got invalid rebate on the $68 rebate from Staples bought on 12/17.... this was boxed version bought in-store.... sent about half of the back of the box so this is BS!

UPDATE: just called their rebate line, she checked paperwork and everything was there so she fixed it.... didnt know why there was an issue

I still haven't opened the S/W and submitted the rebates for my 2 McAfee post BF purchases am and considering just returning them to Staples and moving on. What a bunch of crap. Thanks for the heads-up.

Dano

Got the "invalid rebate" message for the Staples $68 rebate too (in-store boxed version), but a quick 5 minute chat fixed it.

This will be the last time I purchase McAfee product

I stapled the UPC code on my rebate form and the agent insisted that they dont have it!!! What a BS!

amenluo said:   This will be the last time I purchase McAfee product

I stapled the UPC code on my rebate form and the agent insisted that they dont have it!!! What a BS!

don't use staaples to attach UPC. Not sure how they scan them but I think having a staple in there messes it up.
FWIW I bought 2 different McAfee products at Staples around BF and have received both of my rebate checks. Never had to call. Checks just showed up as they should.

I've submitted two rebates within the last month and both were reported as valid and in final processing.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014