Does Walmart change No Receipt Returns Policy?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
rated:
I received a tablet as a gift from a friend and he ordered it over WalMart.com. Since I already have an iPad, I brought this tablet to a WalMart store to ask if I can get a store credit.
WalMart did not allow me to return this item because I don't have an order receipt. However, I did not see any receipt in packaging box when I received it.
I tried two stores but no luck. I also checked WalMart's return policy that they did accept a return without a receipt. Does anyone know if they change the return policy?



7. What's WalMart's No Receipt Returns Policy?
WalMart's No Receipt policy applies to items returned in a store only. When you return an item without a receipt, you have the option of receiving a cash refund (for purchases under $25), a Gift Card for the amount of the purchase (for purchases over $25) or making an even exchange for the product. We also follow any manufacturer's warranties.You can make up to three No Receipt returns within a 45 day period.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Hi there everyone! I don't know how I stumbled across this thread...but good lord. Here are a few links that should help... (more)

echoloku (Feb. 01, 2013 @ 11:31p) |

Though this thread seems to have derailed a lot I wanted to share our experience today, 4/5/2013... Our Oregon "Neighbor... (more)

Shmicklet (Apr. 05, 2013 @ 10:02p) |

In high school I had a friend who worked at the GAP, he would tell me about the thieves that would come in with clothes... (more)

carbonfiberhoodscom (Apr. 13, 2013 @ 11:49a) |


Ask your friend for the receipt.

There are exclusions for electronics and maybe why. Also, you should be sure WalMart carries it.

Ask your friend to return it for you and give you the cash.

rsuaver said:   Ask your friend for the receipt.

There are exclusions for electronics and maybe why. Also, you should be sure WalMart carries it.


Thanks for your reply. Because this is a gift for me, I don't want to make my friend feels bad that he picked up a gift I do not need.
Yes, that tablet is available online only, not available at local stores.

WalMart has special return policy for electronics. Besides, return of electronics is scrutinized very carefully, even with a receipt. You options are to suck it up or ask for a receipt from your friend.

Sometimes employees feel the need to play police and enforce their own return policies. There are no exclusions to the no-receipt policy you quoted. You need to ask for management and request that policy be followed. If you submit a complaint online, you should get a call from the store manager in a day or two telling you pretty much the same thing.

Jessicalim said:   
Yes, that tablet is available online only, not available at local stores.


You can only do a no receipt return for items purchased in the store. Since it is an online only item it was obviously not purchased in the store. Items not sold in store will not scan on the register.

If your story is true, tell your friend something is wrong with it and you need to exchange it and ask for the order#. All you need is the online order# and the store can process the refund.

Re-gift it or sell it for cash are a couple more options.

I like vipercon's suggestion. Tell your friend, something wrong with it. As long as the friend doesn't see this thread with your picture, you should see your friendship continued.

Glitch99 said:   Sometimes employees feel the need to play police and enforce their own return policies. There are no exclusions to the no-receipt policy you quoted.

Sometimes members give advice without taking time to put thought into their answers.


It looks like per their policy:

ELECTRONICS
The following electronics items must be returned within 15 days of receipt: tablets

WalMart.com's return policy is very clear. You have 15 days for electronics. You must provide EITHER the packing slip OR the receipt OR the order number OR the sender's email address.

If you are outside 15 days, or you can't provide any of those things, then you're out of luck. http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/204/related/1

respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   Sometimes employees feel the need to play police and enforce their own return policies. There are no exclusions to the no-receipt policy you quoted.

Sometimes members give advice without taking time to put thought into their answers.


It looks like per their policy:

ELECTRONICS
The following electronics items must be returned within 15 days of receipt: tablets

Sometimes members dismiss advice forgetting that the advice very well may be based on actual experience and conversations with the store manager, after having submitted a complaint for the exact same reason/situation.... The no-receipt policy is an exception to the standard return policy, thus the frequency limits.

Glitch99 said:   
Sometimes members dismiss advice forgetting that the advice very well may be based on actual experience and conversations with the store manager, after having submitted a complaint for the exact same reason/situation....



Doesn't really matter how much a person whined/cried/connived to get around the policy, it's pretty clear-cut and there for a reason (to deter fraudulent higher-dollar returns which cost us all more in the long run).

It's not hard to find a paper trail (or electronic trail) if this return is legit and within the time frame. This really isn't rocket science.

How did u know your friend purchased it from WalMart. Did he told u or u assumed ?.
Some items seems same but the bar code is different. So check on that. And most of them mentioned it might be 15 day return policy only item.

What kind of just a "friend" gives a tablet (other than very wealthy)? And wouldn't that good of a friend already know you have an ipad? And wouldn't you be able to tell that good of a friend that you already have a tablet? And wouldn't you be able to ask that good of a friend for the receipt in case something goes wrong with it?

you might wait til after christmas where they are expecting lots of items to come in for return/exchange with no receipt

Slickone said:   What kind of just a "friend" gives a tablet (other than very wealthy)? And wouldn't that good of a friend already know you have an ipad? And wouldn't you be able to tell that good of a friend that you already have a tablet? And wouldn't you be able to ask that good of a friend for the receipt in case something goes wrong with it?


I'm thinking this "friendship" also includes a Craigslist ad and/or eBay seller id..

respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   Sometimes employees feel the need to play police and enforce their own return policies. There are no exclusions to the no-receipt policy you quoted.

Sometimes members give advice without taking time to put thought into their answers.


It looks like per their policy:

ELECTRONICS
The following electronics items must be returned within 15 days of receipt: tablets


Reading comprehension FAIL - Must be returned withing 15 days OF RECEIPT. I'm only a first generation english speaker so I may be wrong here (sarcasm) but that doesn't say WITH RECEIPT or RECEIPT REQUIRED just OF RECEIPT, which means within 15 days of purchasing it or receiving it (I'm assuming for online orders).

Their best bet is telling their friend to send them a copy of the receipt because you're having some warranty issues with the iPad and need to exchange it. That saves you the problem of telling them you're returning it.

Also, I've attempted to return electronics to WalMart without a receipt and declined before. Remember the free iPod touch from KeyBank deal, they send me the older version when the new version had just come out. I took it to WalMart and wanted to exchange it and were pretty adamant that returns for electronics was up to the discretion of the person running the electronics department and they would do no returns for electronics without a receipt. I got them to let me exchange it for the newer version of the iPod.

ebestbuy said:   How did u know your friend purchased it from WalMart. Did he told u or u assumed ?.
Some items seems same but the bar code is different. So check on that. And most of them mentioned it might be 15 day return policy only item.


ebestbuy said:   How did u know your friend purchased it from WalMart. Did he told u or u assumed ?.
Some items seems same but the bar code is different. So check on that. And most of them mentioned it might be 15 day return policy only item.


The box was from WalMart.com when I received it and I verified it with my friend as well. He ordered a gift on WalMart last week.
Glacierwolf's suggestion may be good since there's no receipt or packing slip in the shipping box. I will re-gift it to my brother.

DutchessPDX said:    Remember the free iPod touch from KeyBank deal, they send me the older version when the new version had just come out. I took it to WalMart and wanted to exchange it and were pretty adamant that returns for electronics was up to the discretion of the person running the electronics department and they would do no returns for electronics without a receipt. I got them to let me exchange it for the newer version of the iPod.


Now that's a story to share around the Christmas table. Your skills might also come in handy in the near future when you find yourself exchanging cigarettes for extra rolls of TP.

are sealed video games considered "electronics"?

respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   
Sometimes members dismiss advice forgetting that the advice very well may be based on actual experience and conversations with the store manager, after having submitted a complaint for the exact same reason/situation....



Doesn't really matter how much a person whined/cried/connived to get around the policy, it's pretty clear-cut and there for a reason (to deter fraudulent higher-dollar returns which cost us all more in the long run).

It's not hard to find a paper trail (or electronic trail) if this return is legit and within the time frame. This really isn't rocket science.
So what you are saying is that the very well-known no-receipt-required policy is really a total sham - because there's a stated with-receipt return policy for everything (with terms that vary from department to department), so you really cannot ever return anything without a receipt?

The no-receipt policy is an exception to the standard return policies, and thus is limited to 3 returns within 45 days. No departments are excluded from it.

Glitch99 said:   
So what you are saying is that the very well-known no-receipt-required policy is really a total sham - because there's a stated with-receipt return policy for everything (with terms that vary from department to department), so you really cannot ever return anything without a receipt?

The no-receipt policy is an exception to the standard return policies, and thus is limited to 3 returns within 45 days. No departments are excluded from it.


No sure what obtuse path you're trying to go on...but the simple fact is that policy is there because of scams (like the "free" exchange program) noted above.

respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   
So what you are saying is that the very well-known no-receipt-required policy is really a total sham - because there's a stated with-receipt return policy for everything (with terms that vary from department to department), so you really cannot ever return anything without a receipt?

The no-receipt policy is an exception to the standard return policies, and thus is limited to 3 returns within 45 days. No departments are excluded from it.


No sure what obtuse path you're trying to go on...but the simple fact is that policy is there because of scams (like the "free" exchange program) noted above.

I'm not sure what part you are refusing to comprehend - you can return anything with a receipt within the timeframes stated, AND return up to 3 things without a receipt over a rolling 45 day period. There's a with-receipt return policy that covers everything they sell - so if that policy trumps the no-receipt policy as you claim, then there'd be absolutely no instance where the no-reciept policy could ever be used....

The limit of 3 no-receipt returns is because of the scams. And there may be some store/employee discretion involved, but if you do hit 3 in 45 days you are supposedly blocked by the system for another 6 months.

Glitch99 said:   
I'm not sure what part you are refusing to comprehend - you can return anything with a receipt within the timeframes stated, AND return up to 3 things without a receipt over a rolling 45 day period. There's a with-receipt return policy that covers everything they sell - so if that policy trumps the no-receipt policy as you claim, then there'd be absolutely no instance where the no-reciept policy could ever be used....



The non-logical section in your argument is the part I'm refusing to comprehend. The broad policy is split into sub-sections, each with their own requirements.

By your logic I should be getting free oil changes/tires on my car since these items are physically in-between my fenders and should be covered under my "bumper-to-bumper" warranty.

Check the labels on the box or in the box. Most of the time there are order details or invoices on them. If it is an iPad, try to get a gift card from Apple.

respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   
I'm not sure what part you are refusing to comprehend - you can return anything with a receipt within the timeframes stated, AND return up to 3 things without a receipt over a rolling 45 day period. There's a with-receipt return policy that covers everything they sell - so if that policy trumps the no-receipt policy as you claim, then there'd be absolutely no instance where the no-reciept policy could ever be used....



The non-logical section in your argument is the part I'm refusing to comprehend. The broad policy is split into sub-sections, each with their own requirements.

By your logic I should be getting free oil changes/tires on my car since these items are physically in-between my fenders and should be covered under my "bumper-to-bumper" warranty.

Ok, so why does the no-receipt policy exist, if it inherently can never be used? Besides, I'm not using any logic, this is straight from the horse's mouth (and FYI there was no "whining" involved; I'd already retrieved the receipt and made the return, the manager still flat out appologized for the employee being wrong in not following the policy and specifically said to ask for management if it should happen again.)

Glitch99 said:   
Ok, so why does the no-receipt policy exist, if it inherently can never be used? Besides, I'm not using any logic, this is straight from the horse's mouth (and FYI there was no "whining" involved; I'd already retrieved the receipt and made the return, the manager still flat out appologized for the employee being wrong in not following the policy and specifically said to ask for management if it should happen again.)



The no-receipt policy works on the 1000's of items that they sell that aren't excluded/restricted. Since you stated you "retrieved the receipt"...I'm not even sure why you are mentioning your scenario in this thread, since this topic is about an electronics (restricted item return) without a receipt.

hashir said:   Check the labels on the box or in the box. Most of the time there are order details or invoices on them. If it is an iPad, try to get a gift card from Apple.

If it was purchased from WalMart and not Apple, that would be dishonest.

kloakndaggers said:   are sealed video games considered "electronics"?


Separate Policy than the 15 day one:


CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, audiotapes, videotapes and video games must be returned unopened. If the item is defective, it can be returned within 90 days with a receipt and the original packaging.

respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   
Ok, so why does the no-receipt policy exist, if it inherently can never be used? Besides, I'm not using any logic, this is straight from the horse's mouth (and FYI there was no "whining" involved; I'd already retrieved the receipt and made the return, the manager still flat out appologized for the employee being wrong in not following the policy and specifically said to ask for management if it should happen again.)



The no-receipt policy works on the 1000's of items that they sell that aren't excluded/restricted. Since you stated you "retrieved the receipt"...I'm not even sure why you are mentioning your scenario in this thread, since this topic is about an electronics (restricted item return) without a receipt.

Because the employee who refused my return had the exact same argument as you are making, since it was in fact an electronics item, received as a gift, that I was returning. Only after getting the receipt and returning it, I was specifically told by the manager that the employee was wrong and should've accepted the return per the no-receipt policy (assuming the 3-in-45-days limit wasnt applicable).

What you are missing is that there is a 90-day return policy with a receipt for everything, with additonal time restrictions for certain departments. If the electronics limit of "with a receipt within 15 days" precludes a return without receipt, the broader return policy of "with a receipt within 90 days" would also preclude any return without a receipt.

Glitch99 said:   

What you are missing is that there is a 90-day return policy with a receipt for everything, with additonal time restrictions for certain departments. If the electronics limit of "with a receipt within 15 days" precludes a return without receipt, the broader return policy of "with a receipt within 90 days" would also preclude any return without a receipt.



That makes little sense and if that happened the way you stated...you got lucky.

If that really was how it worked, not only would the fraud factor be rampant....but quite easy. Anyone (along with their friends) could find 3 high priced electronics..say they "forgot" the receipt...return them for a full refund every 45 days...and rinse and repeat.

respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   

What you are missing is that there is a 90-day return policy with a receipt for everything, with additonal time restrictions for certain departments. If the electronics limit of "with a receipt within 15 days" precludes a return without receipt, the broader return policy of "with a receipt within 90 days" would also preclude any return without a receipt.



That makes little sense and if that happened the way you stated...you got lucky.

If that really was how it worked, not only would the fraud factor be rampant....but quite easy. Anyone (along with their friends) could find 3 high priced electronics..say they "forgot" the receipt...return them for a full refund every 45 days...and rinse and repeat.
You may be a bit naive to think that doesn't happen...

Glitch99 said:   You may be a bit naive to think that doesn't happen...

Not as naive as you to think the policy would work that way.

respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   You may be a bit naive to think that doesn't happen...

Not as naive as you to think the policy would work that way.


I saw Kohls get taken for $100's of dollars with Kohls cash scams, return without a receipt scams, etc. Believe me these stores eat far more losses than you would think. I was told by management to take back blatantly scammed items for store credit (not trying to save the store anything as one example that was just really obvious a scam was someone did not buy 15 suit jackets and randomly want to return them without a receipt... thankfully the register actually rejected that return due to the amount being so high and forced them to call corporate who actually had some authority to say no. There were plenty of other similar situation for lesser $ amounts that did go through and were clearly scams). Working at Kohls I would not have blinked at the OPs return and it would have been processed.

I even had Kohls as an example of good customer service bring up a store that took back car tires even though Kohls never has and never will sell car tires (and conversely saw people get yelled at by Loss Prevention for taking back non-Kohls items... yay contradictions).

I don't know what WalMart's return without a receipt policy is... maybe electronics are excluded from it... I don't know. Clearly though their return with a receipt and without a receipt are 2 separate policies. The receipt policy should have nothing to do with the without one. OP should ask for WalMart's written policy for returns without a receipt and see if there are any exceptions there. If OP isn't satisfied ask for the corporate contact info and go from there. You will probably have far better luck (and the stores often become far more helpful when it is clear you will go above their heads... Kohls would do just about anything to avoid a call to corporate/district manager ymmv with WalMart, but I would bet something similar happens).

Apologies for bad grammar/paragraph structure... I have issues with it and i'm really tired and already spent far too much time on this post. I think I get my point across.

uutxs said:   WalMart has special return policy for electronics. Besides, return of electronics is scrutinized very carefully, even with a receipt. You options are to suck it up or ask for a receipt from your friend.

^This. They assume everyone trying to return high dollar electronics is a scammer.

LongDongSilver said:   uutxs said:   WalMart has special return policy for electronics. Besides, return of electronics is scrutinized very carefully, even with a receipt. You options are to suck it up or ask for a receipt from your friend.

^This. They assume everyone trying to return high dollar electronics is a scammer.


They probably have little choice, given the publicity of this story.

I had similar situation - I had one item (bad rails) that I bought online. This is online only item. Went to store (after actually 2 years of purchase but still unused in original box) and they agreed to take it back after they look up my online account and see what I did pay for it. No other way. Either receipt or email for online, something that show price.

Jessicalim said:   
The box was from WalMart.com when I received it and I verified it with my friend as well. He ordered a gift on WalMart last week.
Glacierwolf's suggestion may be good since there's no receipt or packing slip in the shipping box. I will re-gift it to my brother.


I wonder if there is any info on the box which a WalMart associate can use to locate the order?

Skipping 67 Messages...
In high school I had a friend who worked at the GAP, he would tell me about the thieves that would come in with clothes they had stolen the same day from another gap, totally different sizes etc. They would want to return it for cash or credit. As a customer I would not want to absorb those loses. That's probably the main reasoning behind a "no receipt, no refund" policy.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014