Does Walmart change No Receipt Returns Policy?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   technolich said:   

Where in the no receipt policy does it state that it overrides all of the other policies?

No where? That's because IT DOESN'T.

In that case, the no-receipt policy can never be used, because the policy you are claiming it "doesn't override" also requires everything to be returned with a receipt within 90 days.

Yes, there is a certain amount of store "trust" that when you're trying to return your $10 Hello Kitty shower curtain...that you are telling the truth when asked if you bought it within 90 days (if you don't have the receipt).

That blind trust is a little different (hence the additional requirements) when dealing with a multi-hundred $$ computer tablet.

So now your claim is that the dollar value determines what can be returned when, and they just let the required timeframe slide for lower value items? You keep saying its clear, yet I've yet to see any dollar value mentioned in any of these policies, let alone as a qualifier as to what policy applies. The only mention of dollars is in how a no-receipt return will be refunded (cash, gift card, etc).

And by the way, I can find shopping carts full of non-electronics crap at WalMart that cost more than the GPSs you're claiming are excluded from the no-receipt policy because "they are worth too much".

You continue to argue based on how you think things should be, regardless of of how they really are.

But I will agree that this is the same basis that employees use to make up their own policies while processing returns, which is what caused the issue in the first place.

Glitch99 said:   

My lord.

I know, it can't be made any clearer. The rule is that anything can be returned with a receipt within 90 days. There is an exception for electronics, that changes that 90 days to 15 days - that's the restriction. It's been quoted numerous times here as clear as day, the 90 changes to 15. There is absolutely no way you can claim that if "with a receipt within 15 days" somehow means the no-receipt policy doesn't apply, but "with a receipt within 90 days" does not. You need to quit talking out of both sides of your mouth and be consistent with your argument.

Feel free to take your meds...and come back.

In the mean time I'm make this real simple:

For the purpose of this thread and the item purchased..they will need some sort of receipt/invoice to prove when the item was actually purchased (if they are going to follow policy).

I don't care if you are suggesting for them to whine to WalMart upper management, Seal Team Six, or the grave of Sam Walton to get their way...if they are to follow the policy...the above mentioned receipt is what they will need.

End of Story.

respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   

I know, it can't be made any clearer. The rule is that anything can be returned with a receipt within 90 days. There is an exception for electronics, that changes that 90 days to 15 days - that's the restriction. It's been quoted numerous times here as clear as day, the 90 changes to 15. There is absolutely no way you can claim that if "with a receipt within 15 days" somehow means the no-receipt policy doesn't apply, but "with a receipt within 90 days" does not. You need to quit talking out of both sides of your mouth and be consistent with your argument.

Feel free to take your meds...and come back.

In the mean time I'm make this real simple:

For the purpose of thread and the item purchased..they will need some time of receipt/invoice to prove when the item was actually purchased (if they are going to follow policy).

I don't care if you are suggesting for them to whine to WalMart upper management, Seal Team Six, or the grave of Sam Walton to get their way...if they are to follow the policy...the above mentioned receipt is what they will need.

End of Story.
Resorting to personal attacks make the merits of your argument pretty clear. And now you seem to be implying that the store policy doesn't matter and you should just politely accept whatever the employee says, lest you be considered whining and throwing a tantrum?

And I'm still not sure how a store manager telling me the exact policy is "whining to get what I want". I didn't want anything, and had nothing to gain at that point. Are you seriously claiming the manager intentionally told me the wrong thing, when the only possible result would be causing problems in the future when I expect them to follow what I was told, rather than just tell me the correct information and ensure there won't be any future issues?

Ugh, epic misinformation. Glitch99 is correct.

WalMart's return-anytime-without-receipt policy does apply, even with electronics. Note the Returns without Receipt policy makes no mention of any departmental additional restrictions. That's on purpose, to combat chains like Kohls.

* WalMart only refunds you a store credit of the lowest price within the past 90 days. If you had a receipt, you would get the price you paid, not the lowest price within the past 90.
* You are limited to 3 returns without receipt within the past 45 days. This prevents abuse with electronics, and any other goods.
* WalMart is aware that some will abuse the scenario, "lose" their receipts, and return an electronics item after day 15. Their liability in this regard is limited since they will only pay out the lowest price in the past 90 days. And, you can only do this 3 times in 45 days anyways. Yes, it's abused, but WalMart has imposed limits.
* Finally, all returns without receipt are at the discretion of the store (manager). As such, any big ticket item sans receipt can be vetoed. A store may cite the department policy list, but that is typically a cop-out. If a store wants to reject a return, they aren't supposed to use that (as has been explained to me by a WalMart DM). In that case, they're just supposed to reject the return as unacceptable due to the nature of the item.
* Don't try to return that 55-inch HDTV without receipt from the super bowl last year. You won't get your money back.
* Yes, many stores don't interpret properly. Most stores have the phone number of the manager posted. Feel free to give them a ring, typically they'll just push through the return if you're polite and they recognize you're aware enough of WalMart policy to carry on such a conversation.
* Many stores also don't interpret the departmental policies correctly. Some for example will reject anything after 15 days with a battery as "electronics" - I had to CC dispute once to get a store manager's attention on this one, even she was misinformed. Electronic's 15 day policy is only for the bullet-points in that set, not every item in the entire department. Got my money back and an apology.
* Online items returned in-store (without receipt) are typically problematic, and rejected. If the UPC is in WalMart's store system, it will be honored if you don't have the receipt. You can check this pressure-free if your store has a UPC barcode scanner, just photocopy the UPC at home and scan it in-store at a price check kiosk/box.http://www.fatwallet.com/product-deals/

asuka said:   Ugh, epic misinformation. Glitch99 is correct.

It seems you really do have issues understanding store policies. Your theories of why you believe the policies should work the way you think are quite comical too (limited liability on electronics...most of the "desired" electronics products, such as Apple..have changed little in price in the last 90 days). You information is also contradictory...since under "your policy" there should be no reason I couldn't return that 55-inch TV from last super bowl or 3 broken one's found in a trash pile, every 45 days.

Just like you found out with Staples...conning, conniving or double-talking your way into getting what you want...doesn't always work...and doesn't change the official policies at-hand.

respdoc said:   asuka said:   Ugh, epic misinformation. Glitch99 is correct.

It seems you really do have issues understanding store policies. Your theories of why you believe the policies should work the way you think are quite comical too (limited liability on electronics...most of the "desired" electronics products, such as Apple..have changed little in price in the last 90 days). You information is also contradictory...since under "your policy" there should be no reason I couldn't return that 55-inch TV from last super bowl or 3 broken one's found in a trash pile, every 45 days.

Just like you found out with Staples...conning, conniving or double-talking your way into getting what you want...doesn't always work...and doesn't change the official policies at-hand.

WalMart's CEO could post here, and you still wouldn't believe this, would you?

Glitch99 said:   

Last time I checked the score...looks like you and swindleboy jr. are the only two here...with these views.

Last time I checked the score...looks like you and swindleboy jr. are the only two here...with these views.

But unlike you, we are basing it on actual experience of how it is, rather than your idealistic theories of how you want it to be....

Glitch99 said:   respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   

But unlike you, we are basing it on actual experience of how it is, rather than your idealistic theories of how you want it to be....

No, your only basis is what you managed to milk out of them. The policy..is clear. I would also be careful what you wish for...since the more milking you suggest others do...the less they'll be for you...when you're looking for your exceptions to the rules.

respdoc said:   asuka said:   Ugh, epic misinformation. Glitch99 is correct.

You seem to have a disdain for me personally, rather than have any interest at challenging what I have been told.

A WalMart DM can always be wrong, but my information is adequately sourced. The onus is now on you to get WalMart to provide something that challenges what I was relayed, as it equalizes the two sides of this situation.

It seems you dislike that perspective, but I will not respond to personal attacks. The only people they denigrate, are the people that leverage them.

asuka said:   

You seem to have a disdain for me personally, rather than have any interest at challenging what I have been told.

A WalMart DM can always be wrong, but my information is adequately sourced. The onus is now on you to get WalMart to provide something that challenges what I was relayed, as it equalizes the two sides of this situation.

Your first part is..partially true. I do disdain people (grown adults) that still have a toddler mentality of if they just scream progressively louder, they'll eventually get what they want..be it either right or wrong...with the parents/managers hopes of getting them to just shut up.

The tactic is not new by any means. Neither is the case where you try to interject specific information, about a specific topic, from a DM and then try to use it to blanket cover your "ideas."

As pointed out by another member earlier in the thread....if you cry loud enough....Kohl's will give you free tires. Guess if they'll throw in an oil change....you can get your car serviced as Kohls....and head over to WalMart to get you 3 iPad paycheck every 45 days. Your parents should be proud.

Why is respdoc so angry?

caterpillar123 said:   Why is respdoc so angry?

I am ? I don't see capped words and/or excessive punctuation's in any of the replies.

Why does caterpillar123 ask nonsensical questions ?

respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   

No, your only basis is what you managed to milk out of them. The policy..is clear. I would also be careful what you wish for...since the more milking you suggest others do...the less they'll be for you...when you're looking for your exceptions to the rules.

You need to stop creating excuses to dismiss reality. But I guess technically you are right - when I ran into this situation, the resolution was an exception to the rule since I had to round up the receipt in order to complete the return. They in fact "milked" me. As ive said numerous times already, it was only days after that was all done and over with when I was informed that I'd originally been correct and it should've been accepted sans receipt in the first place, and what to do if ever in that situation (an employee not following policy) again.

respdoc said:   ...and head over to WalMart to get you 3 iPad paycheck every 45 days.
Actually it's 2 in 45 days if you want to keep churning it; once you hit 3 in 45 days, you're blacklisted by the system for 6 months. Or so I'm told....

Glitch99 said:   
Actually it's 2 in 45 days if you want to keep churning it; once you hit 3 in 45 days, you're blacklisted by the system for 6 months. Or so I'm told....

Thank you for proving my point. Luckily with that mentality, it won't be a matter if you are caught...but when.

Thank you for proving my point. Luckily with that mentality, it won't be a matter if you are caught...but when.

If that was your point, you've had an extremely odd way of expressing it thus far....

It's not a matter of being "caught" - WalMart recognizes that there are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone might return three items in a 45 day period without receipts. Events such as moving create chaos that cost you to lose receipts... it happens. WalMart wants happy customers, so they impose limits on policies that are favorable to both the consumer and encouraging repeat business for the company.

It's what we call in business a "win-win".

And that is called posting with a smile, always!

asuka said:   

It's not a matter of being "caught" - WalMart recognizes that there are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone might return three items in a 45 day period without receipts. Events such as moving create chaos that cost you to lose receipts... it happens. WalMart wants happy customers, so they impose limits on policies that are favorable to both the consumer and encouraging repeat business for the company.

It's what we call in business a "win-win".

And that is called posting with a smile, always!

Lol...your excuses (and double talk) never end. The non-receipt policy is clear...along with the electronics exclusions. What you personally did or didn't manage to weasel out of them..doesn't change it.
Like I said...enjoy the "if I just scream a little louder" route while it lasts....as they'll be the last one's smiling in the form of overall higher prices for all to cover your "wins".

For reference: I bought a couple Kindles with Special Offers on sale early last year in store. I opened one to keep and planned on gifting the other one. I didn't have a chance to return the unopened one before the fifteen days were up and ended up deciding not to gift it either. I decided to wait until Christmas, since that's the time of year when stores have the most lenient return policy and also tend to be the busiest with returns.

I didn't provide the receipt and claimed it was a gift -- well, it was, just in reverse -- and said I'd like to return it. It scanned just fine, but required a manager key turn, since there was no receipt. I received a gift card for (presumably) the lowest price in the last 90 days, which was comparable to what I had paid for it on sale months ago. I have no idea what they did with the unopened Kindle -- maybe put it out on clearance, maybe sent it back to Amazon or to a closeout seller. Whichever way it went, I was happy.

Hoogineer said:   For reference: I bought a couple Kindles with Special Offers on sale early last year in store. I opened one to keep and planned on gifting the other one. I didn't have a chance to return the unopened one before the fifteen days were up and ended up deciding not to gift it either. I decided to wait until Christmas, since that's the time of year when stores have the most lenient return policy and also tend to be the busiest with returns.

I didn't provide the receipt and claimed it was a gift -- well, it was, just in reverse -- and said I'd like to return it. It scanned just fine, but required a manager key turn, since there was no receipt. I received a gift card for (presumably) the lowest price in the last 90 days, which was comparable to what I had paid for it on sale months ago. I have no idea what they did with the unopened Kindle -- maybe put it out on clearance, maybe sent it back to Amazon or to a closeout seller. Whichever way it went, I was happy.

Obviously you just yelled and screamed until they gave you what you wanted so that you'd go away. Otherwise your story doesn't fit respdoc's idealistic opinion of how it should be, either.

Glitch99 said:   Hoogineer said:   . It scanned just fine, but required a manager key turn, since there was no receipt.
Obviously you just yelled and screamed until they gave you what you wanted so that you'd go away. Otherwise your story doesn't fit respdoc's idealistic opinion of how it should be, either.

I'm not sure why you have such trouble reading. I'll help you by highlighting the important part you missed. By your dream theory...it should have not required any type of manager approval..since this should have just been part of their "standard" policy. Guess it looks like one more store you'll have to visit to "enlighten" them about their own rules.

respdoc said:   Glitch99 said:   Hoogineer said:   . It scanned just fine, but required a manager key turn, since there was no receipt.

I'm not sure why you have such trouble reading. I'll help you by highlighting the important part you missed. By your dream theory...it should have not required any type of manager approval..since this should have just been part of their "standard" policy. Guess it looks like one more store you'll have to visit to "enlighten" them about their own rules.

Um, that's a pretty standard internal control procedure to prevent employee theft, and has nothing to do with the return policy (and nothing to do with the customer). Heck, I cant spend $500 at the grocery store without the manager key....

Glitch99 said:   [
Um, that's a pretty standard internal control procedure, and has nothing to do with the return policy (nothing to do with the customer at all, really).

Um, every return I have done (with receipt) didn't require a manager override/approval. In that scenario, it would have been easy to approve due to: 1) it not being opened, 2) if I remember correctly you have to actually tear into the package to get the Kindle...hence it's pretty easy to tell if its been tampered with or not.

Again...policy and manager discretion can vary widely.

Hi there everyone! I don't know how I stumbled across this thread...but good lord. Here are a few links that should help. As a former Wal-Mart employee, I have got to say that the "policy" changes from store-to-store and per manager. The term "policy" is used too broadly so I would suggest looking at the source material (all not just pieces). If you have more questions, give them a call

HOWEVER, unless I missed it, at no point did I see it clearly support either side of this argument. There is a short blurb about returning without a receipt which supports Glitch99 and then the section about departmental returns supports respdoc.

Store Finder so you can call them
The beloved NO Receipt Policy
Returns by Department
Holiday Returns Policy
Returning an item from Walmart.com in the store

So draw straws and choose who is going to call corporate and ask them your questions. And then take off the aggressive pants and breathe a little. It's just a message board guys. Best of wishes to you all.

Though this thread seems to have derailed a lot I wanted to share our experience today, 4/5/2013... Our Oregon "Neighborhood Market" denied me a return of a bottle of lotion (that I had an allergic reaction to) without a receipt claiming it was a "corporate policy change" to not accept *any* returns without a receipt. Though the website still says they accept in store returns without receipt.... Seems like it's not just online, electronic or expensive items. For me, Wal-Mart always made it difficult to want to shop there, now I don't think we will any longer.

In high school I had a friend who worked at the GAP, he would tell me about the thieves that would come in with clothes they had stolen the same day from another gap, totally different sizes etc. They would want to return it for cash or credit. As a customer I would not want to absorb those loses. That's probably the main reasoning behind a "no receipt, no refund" policy.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014