• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
WSJ Article (Top hit on google to circumvent paywall)

Found this article really interesting. It seems if you are ordering from Staples faking your IP may be worth it.

Member Summary

As someone that lives in a rural area, and someone that very frequently misses out on the in-store special offers here on Fat Wallet (because most stores are about 60-80 miles away), I extremely dislike even the idea of this practice. Strong dislike!!

It's common knowledge that different stores have different pricing based on location. I can see this making sense at a retailers that don't have an internet presence.

But to vary prices, on the basis of your geo-location, which is in turn, based on where you are *thought* to be located by looking up your ip address seems stupid in a mostly internet connected world. But hardly surprising to me.

Mine's about 150 miles off, btw. Cellular connected mobile devices even moreso, I would imagine.

I would think offering one price would be easier pricing model.

also, I've heard many stories on FW and elsewhere that prices can vary on what based your browser & version.

--
holiday42

used to work at that toy store, in the northwest. we had 3 pricing structures. We had metro (lowest), sub metro middle and rural which was the highest prices. the top items PS3 would be the same price, but fringe items would be higher away from the metro locations. If we had to do a return, or exchange, we could easily see the other prices right on the screen, and would adjust them down or up. The register would refund by the purchase price.

wads

If you read some previous Staples threads, You will find that based on location some persons see out of stock but others could order the same item.

rbsolanki said:   If you read some previous Staples threads, You will find that based on location some persons see out of stock but others could order the same item.
Think that has to do with local warehouses.

Could you not circumvent this system if you connected via a VPN? I have it and connect to various places throught the country....heck I now connect VIA a sweeden server and if I go to yahoo or MSN text is native to that country....good way to learn another language.

WM in Grants Pass
and
WM in Medford Oregon
30 miles south
vary from one another, prices go both ways
especially grocery

Lol, my IP right now is well over 500 miles from my actual location. I wonder how well that works for them? End result is that I'll compare, so if Staples wants to dick me around on price because they think I live somewhere I don't, and another store or site has a better price, then all things being equal I'll buy from the lowest priced option.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014