• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/free-calling-within-us-and...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/26/gmail-google-voice-free-2013/

Mods, feel free to move as you see fit. I posted in Hot Deals because this saves me $10 a month on text messaging & over $10 a month for my Obi home phone...

-ace

Member Summary

Google Voice and Gmail Calling
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
The program was actually started by Ronald Reagan, a republican. I plan to take advantage of the free phone when it come... (more)

mileena (Dec. 28, 2012 @ 1:52a) |

Lifeline was not stated as a cell phone program, but as a basic land line phone. Today it has morphed into fancy smart p... (more)

lonestarguy (Dec. 29, 2012 @ 10:43p) |

An alternative to ooma or obi is just to buy phones which are sip capable and then no such adapters are required.

BradMajors (Dec. 29, 2012 @ 11:29p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Excellent!
My Obi is laughing at all the Ooma's out there.

KayK said:   Excellent!

Yes! Forgot to mention my Obi in my OP - updated!

-ace

wahoo! I was hoping it would continue to be free next year. Thank ob for the goodnews, and google for the service.

And all the ooma's out there are laughing at your lack of 911, and, oh yeah, what place was obi on the consumer reports best list of voip companies again??

GlassVial said:   KayK said:   Excellent!

And all the ooma's out there are laughing at your lack of 911, and, oh yeah, what place was obi on the consumer reports best list of voip companies again??

Not trying to turn this into an Ooma vs Obi debate, but FYI you can provision your Obi to route a 911 call to your local emergency center. They won't have your address/location, but at least they'll receive the call...

-ace

So I assume then that none of the OBI models available will have any service fees of any kind, at least between now and the rest of next year?

x 20.

I love OBI.

HA, HA, my Obi100 thought it was going to get a vacation.....NOT!

I have been on this bandwagon for awhile.. Maybe my ideas will help some save some dough.. If not, throw them away ->

I use voip.ms - $4.95/mo + $1.50/mo (e911). This includes 3500 incoming minutes for free. Outgoing calls cost 0.01/minute. Toll-free calls are free. Basically, we never use our home phone unless a cell phone is not around us. If I plan to call a non toll-free number for an extended period of time, I have Google Voice setup for this home #. I'll login to Google Voice's website real quick & dial the number. I pay the extra bucks for voip.ms, because of their stability & speed, they have servers throughout the US & Canada that you can point to, based on the best ping test. I can also fax for free.

Our family has a Verizon family plan with about 6 phones in it. We can input like 10 "friends & family" numbers that are always free to call and don't count towards our plan anytime minutes. I inputted into it, a separate Google Voice number that I registered for and associated it with my cell phone. I installed GV CallBack on my cell phone. Everytime I dial a number, it asks me to dial it normally or use GV Callback. If I click on GV Callback, it registers the call with Google & calls me back on my cell phone from my Google Voice number within about 5 seconds. Basically, a free incoming call that is actually outbound. I block text messaging on my main # and use Google Voice text messaging for free on my Google Voice number.

So yeah, if this Google Voice stuff ever starts costing money... I will have to re-evaluate

Obi isnt a voip service..
Cellphones can call 911 by the way.. if you didnt know.
My average cost per month of unlimited US AND CANADA calls has been $2.75 per month.. and will be down to $1.70 per month by end of next year.

Thanks.
How do you get text messages to work for Google voice. I am having a difficult time with this.

KayK said:   GlassVial said:   KayK said:   Excellent!

Obi isnt a voip service..
My average cost per month of unlimited US AND CANADA calls has been $2.75 per month.. and will be down to $1.70 per month by end of next year.

Yeah but can cell phones do E911 ?

Obi can be configured with E911 using a secondary provider. Cost is about $1.50 per month or less depends on which provider you use.

Shadow, Thanks for the info.

Kayk I gave you red for being an A$$ and starting a bulsht argument about Obi and ooma

KayK said:   

Yes, because when I'm bleeding out on the floor sometime, or my house is on fire, I'm going to wonder to myself:

"Where is my cell phone, and is it charged?"

Said no person, ever.

Sweet. That is good news.

Obi110 + $1.50 a month for callentric with 911 & CNAM & CNAM override works for me.

I use OBI & Google voice at home and for the vast majority of my calls. I also use a prepaid Page Wireless plan for my cell. I would use my cell phone for 911 calls phone-(As would most people). My total cost is less than $40/year (for 1000 Verizon network minutes-good for 12 months), or $3.33 per month including all taxes & fees!

woot. The announcement is getting later and later every year. Just amount of time until they start charging.

richard9 said:   Thanks.
How do you get text messages to work for Google voice. I am having a difficult time with this.

Richard,
Get the Talkatone app and you'll be all set

(Free version in the App Store for iPods/iPhones/iPads only)

If you have an Android device, the only tech advice would be to get rid of it

Talkatone is avaiable for Android too

How do you make calls from your PC using GV? I have been using it for years on my phone to send texts, but still can't figure out how to do voice calling on my PC. It always calls my cell phone to complete the call.

dishdude said:   How do you make calls from your PC using GV? I have been using it for years on my phone to send texts, but still can't figure out how to do voice calling on my PC. It always calls my cell phone to complete the call.After you set up calling from within your gmail account you can place calls from there.
After gmail setup you will have another device listed in your forwarding phones list at google voice (google chat) You can initiate the call from within google voice, by selecting Google Chat as the forwarding phone, and have it ring your gmail. The Obi and 3rd party apps like Talkatone & GrooveIP use the gmail interface also are extensions of the Google Chat option (usually only one can work at a time).

ablang said:   So I assume then that none of the OBI models available will have any service fees of any kind, at least between now and the rest of next year?The Obi will never have any service fees; it is a piece of hardware, not a service. Whatever service you configure on the Obi will determine your costs.

You can easily get a VOIP service with E911 on the Obi for about one third of the Ooma's monthly taxes and fees.
The Obi is not a VOIP service so you can't compare it to Ooma in terms of service.

hmcwallet said:   Talkatone is avaiable for Android too
For Android, I prefer Groove IP, though not free it is much more stable from experience. With Talkatone, my phone sometimes ring and I can't pick up. I had to shut off my phone to kill the program.

my OBicalls used to be clear. But lately, it has buzzing noise on outgoing calls; and it is better if I put in on speaker than if I use the handset. I have checked all my connections to the phone. [It is a landline phone; not cordless, etc.] And I haven't added any add'l equipment.

Anyone haa any quess why/problem?

shallot said:   hmcwallet said:   Talkatone is avaiable for Android too
For Android, I prefer Groove IP, though not free it is much more stable from experience. With Talkatone, my phone sometimes ring and I can't pick up. I had to shut off my phone to kill the program.
Talkatone and GrooveIP are comple crap if you use them outside wifi. That's why I rely on cSipCimple and a voip.ms account for crystal clear calls on even 3G.. and it costs me only 1.25 cents per minute for US and Canadian calls using the premium routing. (Regular routing is 1 cent per minute for US calls.. half cent per minute for Canadian calls)

Love it. I use it a lot. Although the call drops once in a while (And sometimes more than that), but cant complain when it is free

For someone who don't want to spend too much time figuring things out, the Oooma is foolproof I am sure there are many options out there that are almost free or may be of better quality, but to me the low monthly fee and simplicity of the Ooma is well worth it.

confused200 said:   my OBicalls used to be clear. But lately, it has buzzing noise on outgoing calls; and it is better if I put in on speaker than if I use the handset. I have checked all my connections to the phone. [It is a landline phone; not cordless, etc.] And I haven't added any add'l equipment.

Anyone haa any quess why/problem?

You have tried another phone in this setup? Also, do you have the Obi connected into your house phone wiring? If so, try hooking the Obi directly to your phone, only.

Another $360 that doesn't go to AT&T YAY! Eat that MJ.

Thanks KK for introducing me to Obi.

Please let me know what phones are acceptable for this plan.

My total cost is less than $40/year (for 1000 Verizon network minutes-good for 12 months), or $3.33 per month including all taxes & fees!

I am interested in how does a person just pay 40 for the whole year.

Thanks.

KayK said:   shallot said:   hmcwallet said:   Talkatone is avaiable for Android too
Talkatone and GrooveIP are comple crap if you use them outside wifi. That's why I rely on cSipCimple and a voip.ms account for crystal clear calls on even 3G.. and it costs me only 1.25 cents per minute for US and Canadian calls using the premium routing. (Regular routing is 1 cent per minute for US calls.. half cent per minute for Canadian calls)

I've used Grooveip with 3g and it works fine. It's not ideal since it costs me cell minutes but I want my google number to show up on caller ID.

richard9 said:   Please let me know what phones are acceptable for this plan.

My total cost is less than $40/year (for 1000 Verizon network minutes-good for 12 months), or $3.33 per month including all taxes & fees!

I am interested in how does a person just pay 40 for the whole year.

Thanks.

this is landline/home phone, not cell.

Anveo voip on a obi110

$0.80 cents a month for E911 service only or Port your existing home phone number for $2.80 a month including E911 They have a free port offer now if you prepay for the year in advance.

[L=When the FREE porting is complete the phone number will be pre-paid for 12 month and account will be charged non-refundable $24 (12 x $2/month) for
Personal Unlimited rate plan for a total of $2.80 month with E911
]http://www.anveo.com/anveo_customerLOA.pdf[/L]

Thanks OP! Green for you.

Dano

Shadow6934 said:   http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/free-calling-within-us-and...

Mods, feel free to move as you see fit. I posted in Hot Deals because this saves me $10 a month on text messaging & over $10 a month for my Obi home phone...

-ace

The program was actually started by Ronald Reagan, a republican. I plan to take advantage of the free phone when it comes to California soon. I have also used the Lifeline program in the past in other states.

mileena said:   Shadow6934 said:   http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/free-calling-within-us-and...

-ace

The program was actually started by Ronald Reagan, a republican. I plan to take advantage of the free phone when it comes to California soon. I have also used the Lifeline program in the past in other states.

Lifeline was not stated as a cell phone program, but as a basic land line phone. Today it has morphed into fancy smart phones and data plans. There is no need for a federal program like this anymore with free/cheap VOIP services available and basic mobile prepaid plans in the market. It is time to get rid of it.

Skipping 1 Messages...
An alternative to ooma or obi is just to buy phones which are sip capable and then no such adapters are required.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014