Scammers Lurk Behind Area Code 876

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

876 area code calls are actually from Jamaica?

"Older residents should beware of threatening con artists using Jamaican numbers"

That wouldn't be unless a "Jenny" was on the other side of the line... GET REAL!

kvs25 said:   5309

that's 867....not 876.

Am I the only one that doesn't feel a shred of sympathy for the people that sign up for timeshares/spam when they sign for the "free" car in the middle of the mall? If they took the two minutes to read what they're actually signing up for I might almost feel for them getting spammed.

Most of these "scammers" only are successful because people are lazy and don't do due diligence when they "win" something.

Besides, what person dials the area code then 4 digits and waits for the number to ring? Sir, you're missing 3 numbers.

My understanding is that USA is not the only country to use the +1.

Thanks for the heads up. My response is "They're out of the office" If it's work, or I let it go to voice mail if it's personal.

Thanks MC!

Dano

technolich said:   Am I the only one that doesn't feel a shred of sympathy for the people that sign up for timeshares/spam when they sign for the "free" car in the middle of the mall? If they took the two minutes to read what they're actually signing up for I might almost feel for them getting spammed.

Most of these "scammers" only are successful because people are lazy and don't do due diligence when they "win" something.

One thing's for sure: You never win a contest that you didn't enter.

jwardl said:   technolich said:   Am I the only one that doesn't feel a shred of sympathy for the people that sign up for timeshares/spam when they sign for the "free" car in the middle of the mall? If they took the two minutes to read what they're actually signing up for I might almost feel for them getting spammed.

One thing's for sure: You never win a contest that you didn't enter.

If it's a scam contest than your chance of winning is zero, while your chance of losing sky rocketed. So question now is how to spot a scam.

WorkerAnt said:   
If it's a scam contest than your chance of winning is zero, while your chance of losing sky rocketed. So question now is how to spot a scam.

It's not a scam contest just because people don't read the terms and conditions. A lot of the "contests" actually give away a car, but they DO mean signing up for and agreeing to attend a timeshare presentation or some kind of sales pitch.

Just because people don't "remember" signing up for a contest/time share doesn't mean they didn't; people can barely remember what they did the week before much less months later.

Can't protect people from themselves...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014