Nine Beers Americans No Longer Drink

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Wow, Michelob is getting slaughtered. What happened? I used to like Lowenbrau. Whatever happened to that one?

5. Old Milwaukee
> Sales loss (2006-2011): 52.8%
> Brewer: Pabst Brewing Company
> Barrels sold (2011): 460,000

Old Milwaukee is brewed by the Pabst Brewing Company, which sold itself to C. Dean Metropoulos — described by The New York Times as “a veteran food executive known for corporate turnarounds” — in 2010. Last year, the Chicago Tribune reported that employees felt Metropoulos’ marketing plans were moving the company away from the philosophies and practices that made it successful. From 2010 to 2011 alone, sales decreased by 12.4% — worse than 80% of top brands.

4. Milwaukee’s Best
> Sales loss (2006-2011): 57.1%
> Brewer: MillerCoors
> Barrels sold (2011): 750,000

MillerCoors claims that Milwaukee’s Best is “brewed for a man’s taste,” and is “highly drinkable [and] highly affordable.” However customers have stopped buying — and drinking — the brand. Between 2006 and 2011, no major brand made by MillerCoors had a larger percentage decrease in sales. The beer is one of the worst-ranked brews on BeerAdvocate.com.

3. Budweiser Select
> Sales loss (2006-2011): 60.8%
> Brewer: Anheuser-Busch InBev
> Barrels sold (2011): 775,000

Budweiser Select, introduced in 2005, claims to offer a “distinctively full flavor,” with just 99 calories per 12-ounces — roughly the same as Michelob Ultra. The brand has not sold well since its introduction, with sales declining by 1.2 million barrels between 2006 and 2011 — more than all but a few top brands. In 2009, Anheuser-Busch InBev also introduced Budweiser Select 55, which the company describes as “the lightest beer in the world with fewer calories than any other beer option currently available.”

2. Michelob Light
> Sales loss (2006-2011): 66.3%
> Barrels sold (2011): 425,000

From 2006 to 2011 shipments of Michelob Light fell by 66.3%, more than any other major light beer in the U.S. While sales of Michelob Light declined, sales of Michelob Ultra — introduced in 2002, with just 95 calories per 12 ounces — rose by 10.3% from 2006 to 2011. Anheuser-Busch InBev no longer prominently markets the beers on its websites alongside the better-selling Michelob Ultra. Between 2010-2011, sales of Michelob light fell by 19%, more than all but two of the top brands we reviewed.

1. Michelob
> Sales loss (2006-2011): 72.0%
> Barrels sold (2011): 140,000

American consumers have abandoned Michelob — a lager brewed since 1896 — at a faster rate than any other beer. From 2006 to 2011, sales declined from 500,000 barrels to 140,000, with a 20% drop between 2010 and 2011 alone. No other beer on this list sold less than Michelob. The next-lowest selling beer, Amstel Light, still sold 200,000 barrels more than Michelob last year. The brand has not always struggled. According to Beer Marketer’s INSIGHTS’ Eric Shepard, “the superpremium category — basically between Budweiser and the imports — Michelob pretty much had that to itself for many years.”

http://247wallst.com/2012/12/03/nine-beers-americans-no-longer-d...

Member Summary

Old Milwaukee
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I need to try the Narwhal next, but might add this to the list.

VicVinegar (Dec. 31, 2012 @ 9:18p) |

Shotz Beer, that was Milwaukee's best!

jaimelobo (Jan. 02, 2013 @ 11:05a) |

my favorite beer that hits the price of American macrobrews is Moosehead. It's about $1/bottle in a 6-pack and slightly ... (more)

etee (Jan. 09, 2013 @ 1:39a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I used to be loyal to Old Milwaukee, then my supermarket dropped it and I switched to Yuengling, a better quality beer and about $10 a 12 pack.

MitchFlorida said:   Wow, Michelob is getting slaughtered. What happened? I used to like Lowenbrau. Whatever happened to that one?

Me too! It's the only one that had an almost-but-not-quite authentic German taste to it. Have not seen it in several years, heard it was not produced anymore due to it not selling well. Too bad

edit: I've not seen any advertisement for Michelob products in a long time. perhaps they need to advertize better... Like Budweiser did.

--
holiday42

I'm no beer snob (no really, I'm not!) but I've had "Milwaukee’s Best" ... and if that is their best, uh... they should just stick to making cheese.

Haven't seen or heard much from Miller either. They are number 6.
I want to see the worst 20.

ahh reminds me of my poor college days

ducky51 is absolutely spot-on right Pabst and Old Milwaukee, Naragansett, Rolling Rock and St. Pauli Girl were the beers I liked (and could afford as a poor grad student.

You would think with the lousy economy , people would be drinking more cheap beer, not less.

Old Milwaukee is actually quite a decent beer, certainly better than Budweiser. Budweiser got a lot of its business from its constant advertising and also it used to go on sale a lot. A totally mediocre beer. Michelob? It just became too plain vanilla, couldn't compete with Corona I guess. I would classify Michelob as "corporate beer", or lowest common denominator beer.

Sounds like people moved on to something better.
Also people started drinking more after 2008 crisis (relative works in liqueur distribution company). Maybe it's time for numbers to go down already.

I'm not a beer drinker, but I do like Bud Light Lime-A-Rita. Maybe it's not really a "beer".

I hope they won't stop making Budweiser Select. This is my favorite beer when I am on keto diet. Much better than so overrated Michelob Ultra.

MitchFlorida said:   You would think with the lousy economy , people would be drinking more cheap beer, not less.

Actually, craft beer is one of the fastest growing industries since 2008. There were a number of studies and the theory is that in bad times people forgo large expensive things (cars, upgrading a house, etc), but feel the need to make up for the loss in cheaper ways. Expensive/craft beer is one of those things.

Schlitz
Disclaimer
Schlitz is being produced again, since purchased by Pabst.

Blatz beer.

Blatz beer.

Why drink lite beer, I mean the really lite beer. Better to drink Club Soda or even chilled spring water.
Btw, my beer is Rheingold

They're all beers for people who like the idea of drinking beer, but don't actually like beer. It's heartening that they're not selling very well.

try some real beer, chimay, or at least a sam adams winter brew or some other micro brew like Stone Brewing Company, there are too many good beers out there to drink crap like bud or coors .... JMHO

depends on the season of the year. in winter yes a heavier brew is nice .. but not in the summer too filling. yuengling is a pretty darn good beer all year long.

Sure, you can pay more, but you can't find a better beer at any price. I know of no finer beer.

A report over the weekend made waves in beer-brewing, with news that D.G. Yuengling & Son had surpassed Sam Adams brewer Boston Beer Co. as the largest domestically owned beer brewer. The report was true, but it wasn’t news, according to the Boston Business Journal.

Fact is, Yuengling has been the largest domestically owned beer brewer since 2011 was in the books, and in 2012 it’s likely to widen the margin.

The two beer brewing companies’ strategies could not be more different. While Sam Adams has expanded nationally and diversified into beer alternatives like hard tea and cider, Yuengling sells only beer – mostly draft beer at that – and only in 14 states.

The only one on the list that I have ever drank was Michelob Light, and I haven't drank one in over 20 years.

MitchFlorida said:   Why drink lite beer, I mean the really lite beer. Better to drink Club Soda or even chilled spring water.
Btw, my beer is Rheingold

Or make lite beer the FW way: 50/50 mix of club soda and (regular) beer. Get twice as much for your money!

holiday42 said:   I'm no beer snob (no really, I'm not!) but I've had "Milwaukee’s Best" ... and if that is their best, uh... they should just stick to making cheese.

Don't hate on the BEAST.
Never had any if these but now I want ti try them all.

fshaia said:    JMHO

Just My Hoppy Opinion?

Thinking about (and now getting thirsty for) what's in my beer fridge, I have 3 Sierra Nevada types - Pale Ale, Torpedo, and Celebration, Bells Two Hearted Ale, some Yeungling (!) and Stella (!!), Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Dogfish Head 60 Minute, Victory Hop Devil... a few more I can't remember off hand. There's so much good beer being made today, don't drink the swill

The only thing Michelob really had going for it was its distinctive bottle. Give me one good reason to buy a
Michelob?

Corona is another sub-standard beer but is considered "cool" by the bar hopping set. Beer for people who don't know anything about beer.

Another perspective, this time on 'Inexpensive' beer:

+1 on Old Milwaukee being not bad. I drank plenty of Milwaukee's "best" in college and randomly had Old Mil thinking it was the Beast. Puzzled by not having to choke it down like usual, I was surprised to see it was Old Milwaukee.

With that said that Milwaukee's Best was still better than Busch, which is my winner for worst beer, followed by Natural. The list in the post above mentions Genny Cream Ale, which is also not bad compared to my two worst. In Upstate NY, we also used to get Golden Anniversary, which is probably too obscure for most.

Now that I'm not broke, I prefer Founders Breakfast Stout or Porter.

Pabst owns about 100 different beer brands and doesn't actually brew any of them. They outsource it to Miller's Breweries. Miller still has one brewery in Milwaukee.

Pabst Blue Ribbon

Jacob Best
Jacob Best Pilsner is a pale lager named after Pabst's founder, Jacob Best.

Schlitz
Schlitz was first brewed by the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Schlitz was one of the world's top-selling beers during the first half of the 20th Century.[25] Pabst Brewing Company also produces four Schlitz malt liquors--Schlitz Red Bull, Schlitz Bull Ice, Schlitz High Gravity, and Schlitz Malt Liquor.[1]

St. Ides
St. Ides is a brand of malt liquor first launched by the McKenzie River Corporation in the 1980s. St. Ides gained prominence during the late 1980s and early 1990s through the use of celebrity endorsements by rap artists. Ice Cube, 2Pac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Scarface, The Notorious B.I.G., and Method Man & Redman were a few of the rappers who endorsed the brand.

Old Milwaukee
Main article: Old Milwaukee
Old Milwaukee is a pale lager. It was first brewed in 1890 by the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and was later reintroduced in 1955 as a value priced beer.

Colt 45
Main article: Colt 45 (malt liquor)
Colt 45 is a brand of malt liquor first produced in 1963 by the National Brewing Company in Baltimore, Maryland. Colt 45 was named after running back #45 Jerry Hill of the 1963 Baltimore Colts.

Stroh's
The Stroh Brewery Company in Detroit, Michigan first brewed Stroh's beer. Stroh's is an American-style lager.

Old Style
Old Style was first brewed in 1902 by the G. Heileman Brewing Company in La Crosse, Wisconsin under the name Old Style Lager; it was popular in Wisconsin, the Chicago metro area, Minnesota, eastern Iowa, Lincoln, Nebraska, southwestern Michigan, Upper Michigan, and Fargo and Grand Forks, North Dakota. The original Heileman's Old Style brewery in La Crosse is now owned by the City Brewing Company. It brews La Crosse Lager, which is based upon the original Old Style recipe and is kräusened for 30 days. This beer may also be the basis for the brewery's nationally-distributed DB Hobbs brand.[26] Old Style is prominently featured on the Showtime Original series Shameless (U.S. TV series).

Lone Star
Lone Star was first brewed by Lone Star Brewing Company in San Antonio, Texas. It was Lone Star Brewing Company's main brand and marketed as "The National Beer of Texas."

Olympia
The Olympia Brewing Company in Tumwater, Washington first brewed Olympia beer. Olympia is an American-style pale lager.

Rainier Beer
Rainier Beer was first brewed in Seattle, Washington by the Rainier Brewing Company. It was popular in the Pacific Northwest of the United States.

National Bohemian
Main article: National Bohemian
National Bohemian, also known as "Natty Boh" or simply "Boh" was the flagship beer of the National Brewing Company in Baltimore, Maryland. It is a Bohemian-style American beer. Ninety percent of National Bohemian sales are in the Baltimore area.[27]

ganda said:   fshaia said:    JMHO

Just My Hoppy Opinion?

Thinking about (and now getting thirsty for) what's in my beer fridge, I have 3 Sierra Nevada types - Pale Ale, Torpedo, and Celebration, Bells Two Hearted Ale, some Yeungling (!) and Stella (!!), Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Dogfish Head 60 Minute, Victory Hop Devil... a few more I can't remember off hand. There's so much good beer being made today, don't drink the swill

Since you are a confessed Sierra Nevada lover, you have to try their new "Ruthless Rye". One of the best bottled beers I have ever tasted. Hard to find.

Scottw2 said:   ganda said:   fshaia said:    JMHO

Just My Hoppy Opinion?

Since you are a confessed Sierra Nevada lover, you have to try their new "Ruthless Rye". One of the best bottled beers I have ever tasted. Hard to find.

I need to try the Narwhal next, but might add this to the list.

Shotz Beer, that was Milwaukee's best!

my favorite beer that hits the price of American macrobrews is Moosehead. It's about $1/bottle in a 6-pack and slightly less as a dozen. Hey, it's North American.

I was in downtown Milwaukee this year trying out a Madison microbrew at a bar across the street from Usinger's Sausage. I thought it was hilarious that the microbrew tasted like PBR. I think this could only happen in the home of "American" beer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014