Any experience buying a repo RV?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
My credit union from time-to-time will list repo vehicles on thier website for members to buy. I've never owned a pop-up tent, and I'm looking at one they have for sale. They tell me that it's being sold as-is and what you see is what you get. The price seems low compared to a similar one I've seen on craigslist. Any camper guys out there that can tell me what to look for?

Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.communityfirstcu.org/Vehicles_for_Sale

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Probably like any other auction.. or private seller.... Just inspect it as well as you can prior to buying.

Noticed it says Price Negotiable......drop them an offer if you get serious about it.

Pricing seems rather high to me. Look on eBay if they don't drop it significantly.

Price looks high to me as well, but I have not been shopping for them in a while. Water damage is one of the biggest issues. Look for it everywhere. Open all the storage areas especially the one in the front. Water gets in them and moves to the cabin. Test everything to make sure it works properly, including the lift mechanism. You mention you've never had one before. Have you owned any RV? They can be money pits. In terms of outside noise, Pop-ups are no better than a tent.

I was going to offer 5k and it sounds like they are going to take it. I should have mentioned that in the first post. They are offering financing at 3% on up to an 8 year loan too. It looks like it's in pretty good shape but again, it's an item I've never bought before. I've been checking craigslist but I've seen better deals on http://repofinder.com. I'm just leary about the fact it's a repo I guess. Thanks for the feedback!

If the former owner was "Heisenberg", I would pass...

Buys2Much said:   If the former owner was "Heisenberg", I would pass...

They basically just said it was a young couple that had it. He apparently lost his job and then voluntarily surrendered it because the payment was crushing him. The story sounds good. I think I'm going to get it this weekend. As my wife can attest, I've made bigger mistakes in life

Might want to see if the CU has any pictures of it before they had it detailed or if they have an inspection report on it. The good/bad thing is a lot of people buy RVs and then seldom use them. The good is that they are generally in good shape. The bad is if there was a leak, it is probably a soggy mess. Also check the tires and maybe have the wheel bearings checked. The good about a PU is that you don't see people using them as a residence. We looked at more than a few hybrids, trailers, motorhomes that were lived in and you want to run away from them. RVs are not made to be lived in and those that are are as worn as a 40 year old hooker. If it were me, I would be much more comfortable buying this unit from a CU than a dealer down the street. I would expect the CU to be much more honest.

Anecdote: A couple years ago I passed on a 1994 Class C that had 14k original miles for $9k. It had sat for several years and had water damage over the cab (most of them do and that fix is at least $4k) I got word that a dealer bought it and saw it pop up on CL about a month later. They put new graphics on it, replaced all the broken interior lights and put a new ceiling panel in to cover the water damage. I asked the sales guy several questions and he would not give me straight answers. It sold pretty much instantly to a buyer out of state for just under $17k. It still had the very cracked and weathered tires on it and who knows if they did anything to the drivetrain or brakes.

Was writing the above post while you wrote your response. At $5k, I'd pull the trigger on it. I am sure the story checks out. They probably used it once or twice.

Unless I'm seeing the wrong thing on your link, you're actually shopping for a Pop-up CAMPER.

When I think RV, I think Motor Home, engine and Stripes. Link

16k for an 08 Taurus? I'm in the wrong business.

Logan71 said:   Unless I'm seeing the wrong thing on your link, you're actually shopping for a Pop-up CAMPER.

When I think RV, I think Motor Home, engine and Stripes. Link

My thoughts too. That isn't a RV. That's a camper. Nothing but a pop up tent. No way would I give 5k for that. Maybe 3k. Can't be a RV when it doesn't have a motor.

Average retail according to NADA guides is $6,350. I'd offer them half that and see what they say. $5,000 is not a bad deal, but you can probably do better.

Text

Actually, 5k if it is in good shape is a really good price. You'd be amazed how much these things go for new, around 12K. My husband and I have been RV shopping for about 2 years and I am always flabbergasted at the prices of the RV's . We are not in the market for a pop up, but I have seen lots of them on the RV lots and I remember being amazed at their prices , (because I also viewed them as a tent on wheels), since you can get a nice, somewhat new RV for 15K (especially at winter) . look at the netting to see if it is damaged and as previous posters said , water damage. If it doesn't smell, that's a good indication they aired it out after each use, etc.

I once bought a repo truck. It had only one previous owner, who took really good care of it, according to its appearance and the glove box full of maintenance receipts.

Physical inspection by a good mechanic is a lot more important than a CarFax report.

I think they are high too, especially since it doesn't have air conditioning. Otherwise it looks to be in good shape and should last at least another 12 years if well kept. However, I'd be south of $5k on this one. About a year ago, I picked up a flood salvage travel trailer for $4300. There were no major problems with it and the dealer I bought it from had it inspected and re-titled. Wheel bearings were shot and it needed a new converter power supply and some cleaning but I was able to do the work myself so I was only into it for a couple hundred extra in parts. Today you wouldn't know it was a flood salvage without looking at the title.

I too think 5K is also too high. Find the retail value for the brand/model first. Inspect it's condition and then decide on price. Also look at some salvage titles on eBay.

I took your advice and offered 4500. The look on the guy's face was classic. I'll hear back this week.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014