DVR670 stopped working need help

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I bought 2 DVR670 Toshiba DVR/VCR combos less than 1 year ago. One no longer plays the VCR tapes. I bought this because it was the only DVR/VCR that will record digital TV. I loved it till I called Toshiba and they won't replace the defective unit. I can't find it on their product list.
Is there a place to buy this NEW only?
Is there another VHS VCR that will tape digital TV over an antenna.
Is there a DVR with a hard drive I can use to record.

Member Summary

This or Something LIke It (17.14kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I immediately unplugged the unit then tried again. i also tried a variety of tapes including one I had just watched. I ... (more)

daiquiri (Jan. 15, 2013 @ 7:29a) |

I had Verizon DSL for a couple of years and today, after reading your recent post, I checked my 'JunkBox' down in the ba... (more)

TakeTheActive (Jan. 15, 2013 @ 11:12p) |

@TakeTheActive

I asked if I could just connect the TiVo via ethernet to my Westell 7500 on the TiVo Forum and again I was... (more)

daiquiri (Jan. 16, 2013 @ 7:35a) |

There are a few options without VHS tape. One similar to what you have is made by Magnavox and can be purchased for around $220.
link
WalMart has some more options with bigger hard drives for more money as well. The other option is to go the Windows Media Center route. This requires a PC and a tuner of some sort. I use an old Dell Zino PC along with a silicon dust tuner. This set up costs more but is more flexible. It will also require a little more knowledge and tweaking. I also used to have an old Polaroid DVR that had a digital tuner. There may be some floating around on eBay. Here is the unit I used to have
link
The power supply capacitors failed on it and I have to replace them, so I am not sure how good a refurb will be. Hope this helps....

I won't buy a refurb. I would love a HD DVR that records 2 programs at the same time like TiVo but I understand the programming is the problem. If the manufacturer does not keep up with weekly scheduling you cannot use it. I have PC with a media center (that I never use) i do have a Hauppauge tv card on my Dell PC and can record from that.
I had trouble hooking the TV to the PC. after I replaced my harddrive I never reconnected it because it kept freezing my computer.

You probably bought them never clearance. You are recording on VHS tapes???

daiquiri said:   I won't buy a refurb. I would love a HD DVR that records 2 programs at the same time like TiVo but I understand the programming is the problem. If the manufacturer does not keep up with weekly scheduling you cannot use it. I have PC with a media center (that I never use) i do have a Hauppauge tv card on my Dell PC and can record from that.
I had trouble hooking the TV to the PC. after I replaced my harddrive I never reconnected it because it kept freezing my computer.

Let's focus on the trouble hooking up the TV to the PC.. if that's the only thing holding you up from that solution....

Was the resolution off, no video at all? Some resolutions didn't work? The only way to get to a high resolution is with HDMI on most TV's. If you use VGA, you'll likely be stuck in the lower resolutions. Fortunately, there are VGA -> HDMI or DVI -> HDMI cables out there that fixed this for me. I would investigate one of them -- I am assuming a lot of things here, but this is the #1 problem I've ever had. With HDMI, it will go to full 1920x1080 without a hiccup.

daiquiri said:   I bought 2 DVR670 Toshiba DVR/VCR combos less than 1 year ago. One no longer plays the VCR tapes...Regarding FIXING / REPAIRING your current unit(s), SEARCH for them here:

and pay extra attention to the *EXCELLENT* "Essays" written by CitiBear - IMHO (after ~5 years of reading / lurking), he is *VERY* knowledgeable on this 'niche' topic.

Regarding REPLACING your current unit(s), AFAICT, there are THREE currently supported (per the above LINK) choices:
  1. TiVoHD w/Lifetime Subscription
    - 2 tuners so it can record 2 channels at one time while you can watch a recorded show. *EASIEST* entry into HDTV recording.

2. WMC, or other similar software, with multiple internal and/or external HDTV tuners.
    - STEEP learning curve but very nice results when you get it 'tweaked' the way you want it.

3. Magnavox DVDR w/HDD with SDTV tuner (i.e. *ONE*)
    - many folks, especially those with older CRTs and/or small (`32-37") HDTVs, are very pleased with the SD recordings these units produce.
    - you'll need one for EACH OTA or 'ClearQAM' channel that you wish to record SIMULTANEOUSLY and there is no TV GUIDE - setup is manual, like an old VCR.

Folks ask this kind of question DAILY over on AVS. So, just grab your favorite beverage and spend a few hours reading so you can decide which route suits your lifestyle.

so there are no OTA HD, set-top , free dvrs with TV guide??

how about DTVpal. I'm debating negotiating (out of contract) with Dish to upgrade me to a HD DVR on a welcome package. Anyone tried?

vickh said:   so there are no OTA HD, set-top , free dvrs with TV guide??

how about DTVpal. I'm debating negotiating (out of contract) with Dish to upgrade me to a HD DVR on a welcome package. Anyone tried?

Yes, I tried to get a HD DVR from them. I was a customer for 7 years. I'm now with Directv. Dish would not budge. Wanted me to pay full price for receiver, and dvr and HD fees. Only after I went with Directv, who gave free hd for life, Dish then offered a deal. Too late.

When I hooked up the computer I could not login to windows at all. I think I used safe mode to fix it but don't remember how to do it.
There is a share way to hook it up and that's what I used I was confused as to what to choose.
I am using Windows XP (because my office uses it and I have a VPN)

@taketheactive

MDR537H/f7 looks like it will work. But only records one program. Can i hook up 2 to 2 different HDMI connections on TV?

Which TiVo model?

I do not have cable recording ota via an antenna. Can use HDMI cable to hook up. Recent Vizio LCD TV

Replay TV might be an option. They were way better than TiVo IMHO, but they do not do HD... only SD.

They get program info from internet connection (not cable) or via some other downloadable sources.

Panasonic makes one version of this.

The 5000 models (ie 5020, 5040, 5080, etc) have automatic commercial skip which is great.

Good Luck!
Steve G

sgogo said:   Replay TV might be an option. They were way better than TiVo IMHO, but they do not do HD... only SD.

They get program info from internet connection (not cable) or via some other downloadable sources.

Panasonic makes one version of this.

The 5000 models (ie 5020, 5040, 5080, etc) have automatic commercial skip which is great.

Good Luck!
Steve G

I'm selling my Replay TV 5040. Looking for HD now (although it does component out) PM me an offer if interested!

• vickh said:   so there are no OTA HD, set-top , free dvrs with TV guide??That's not what I said.

By "Supported", I mean:

1. Popular
    2. Highly recommended
    3. LOTs of User-to-User support / assistance via various forums, blogs, etc...
    4. etc...

• vickh said:   how about DTVpal. I'm debating negotiating (out of contract) with Dish to upgrade me to a HD DVR on a welcome package. Anyone tried?AFAIK, DTVPal is dead - replaced by an ?upgraded? ChannelMaster version (NOTE: OTA *ONLY*; no ClearQAM). IIRC, there was also Moxi, which I believe is now buried next to DTVPal.

The THREE choices I listed are currently, both IMHO and in the opinions of the Gurus on the various AVS Forums, the best choices.

I'd also like to specifically point out that MANY folks looking to SAVE MONEY by not renting a HD PVR (i.e. Motorola 7232 from FiOS) are SHOCKED / CONFUSED / ANGRY when they purchase a Magnavox DVDR w/HDD (SD - *ONE* Tuner - No Guide Data) @ ~$200 expecting TiVo HD @ ~$600 performance for one third the price.

1. daiquiri said:   ...I would love a HD DVR that records 2 programs at the same time like TiVo but I understand the programming is the problem...Please cite your reference for this statement.

2. daiquiri said:   ...I have PC with a media center (that I never use) i do have a Hauppauge tv card on my Dell PC and can record from that.
    I mentioned the STEEP learning curve.

- How technical are you?
    - How much personal time are you willing to invest?
    - Did you visit the AVS Forum(s) yet? If so, how much personal time did you invest in just reading (*BEFORE* posting questions)?

3. daiquiri said:   When I hooked up the computer I could not login to windows at all. I think I used safe mode to fix it but don't remember how to do it.
    There is a share way to hook it up and that's what I used I was confused as to what to choose.
    I am using Windows XP (because my office uses it and I have a VPN)
    Maybe a HTPC w/WMC is too complicated for you?

4. daiquiri said:   MDR537H/f7 looks like it will work. But only records one program. Can i hook up 2 to 2 different HDMI connections on TV?Yes.

I use a ~$10 Meritline 3-Port Automatic HDMI Switch to feed THREE Magnavox DVDRs w/HDD (CBS, NBC, ABC) to ONE HDMI Input on my Panasonic LCD HDTV.

I use a ~$25 Philips 4-Port Automatic COMPONENT Switch (now discontinued) to feed THREE ReplayTV 5XXXs to ONE COMPONENT Input on my Panasonic LCD HDTV.

Both switches automatically choose the most recently activated signal (i.e. turning the Magnavox DVDR w/HDD or ReplayTV 5XXX ON) and revert back to the previously activated signal when you turn the most recently activated signal OFF.

5. daiquiri said:   Which TiVo model?Go visit the AVS Forums - you're being 'lazy'.

6. daiquiri said:   I do not have cable recording ota via an antenna. Can use HDMI cable to hook up. Recent Vizio LCD TVThe ChannelMaster version of the DTVPal is OTA ONLY! I prefer tuners that are both OTA *AND* ClearQAM, like my Magnavox DVDRs w/HDD and my SiliconDust HDHR3-US External Dual Tuners.

NOTE: I *NEVER* re-type answers to questions that I, or someone else, have already answered. I've invested TONs of my personal time creating and maintaining multiple FAQs on multiple topics (that I was HIGHLY interested in at the time - I figure that as long as I'm investing *MY* time looking things up, I may as well *SHARE* my results with the community. ), as have many other generous souls. I gladly post LINKs though...

Thus, I guess you can view my replies as:Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.Learn how to use GOOGLE and SEARCH. When folks give you a LINK to a specific forum, most of the work has already been done for you!

• sgogo said:   Replay TV might be an option. They were way better than TiVo IMHO, but they do not do HD... only SD.

They get program info from internet connection (not cable) or via some other downloadable sources...
    I had 3 Lifetime ReplayTV 5XXXs back in June 2011 when they announced that they were going to discontinue supplying the Guide Data. Schedules Direct *IMMEDIATELY* (i.e. a few weeks later) added the ReplayTV to the various devices that they were already supplying Guide Data to (i.e. various HTPC software, etc...) - initially @ $20/yr; now @ $25/yr IIRC. You can also use a *FREE* 'Guide Scraper', but that requires some 'Tweaking' and technical 'Know-How'. Today I have 6 ReplayTV 5XXXs (3 @ ~$20 each for 'Spare Parts')!

Feeding the S-Video OUT of a Magnavox DVDR w/HDD into a ReplayTV 5XXX recording @ MED, feeding a ~10' away Panasonic 32" LCD HDTV via COMPONENT, provides me with the BEST of *TWO* worlds. I (mostly) record DAILY PRIME TIME (8:00PM - 11:00PM) @ SLP (slowest speed) on the Mags since it doesn't affect the S-Video OUT to the ReplayTVs. The ReplayTVs are STILL using ReplayTV Guide Data (customized via WiRNS 2.X to JUST the channels that I'm interested in) but I can EASILY switch to Schedules Direct (via WiRNS 3.X) when the need arises. Thus I have 12 days of Guide Data allowing me to see, in advance, what I may want to 'View Once' or 'Record to DVD / BD'. I have a 4th Magnavox DVDR w/HDD for non CBS/NBC/ABC channels - i.e. I'm currently recording Downton Abbey Season 3 from WNET-HD @ 16:9 SD onto the HDD @ SP to eventually burn to DVDs. 16:9 HD from my FiOS Motorola 7100 HD STB fed via COMPONENT to my Hauppauge PVR-1212, then USB into my Win7 I3 laptop usually requires BDs, even though I've dropped the Recording Speed from 13.5MB VBR (Max) to 11.0MB VBR. Someday, when I have more time to 'Experiment', I'll try a test @ 8.0MB VBR to both see the 'Quality Hit' *AND* see if an 'Over One Hour' (i.e. 90 minute average movie) AVCHD fits on a DVD. Most of my previous 'Experiments' came out under 5GB but over the 4.4GB DVD limit .

• vickh said:   I'm selling my Replay TV 5040. Looking for HD now...IMHO, while a TiVo HD, or HTPC, is the BEST way to record HDTV, the ReplayTV 5XXX OS w/Commercial Advance is still untouchable as the optimum User Interface.

Before selling your 5040, I'd first look into feeding it a QUALITY signal recorded @ MED. Maybe from a ChannelMaster CECB via S-Video; maybe from a Magnavox DVDR w/HDD via S-Video. The output via COMPONENT is VERY good - i.e. it's not HD from 3' away, but it's certainly acceptable from 10' away on a 32" Panasonic LCD HDTV. PLUS, you have the 12 days of Guide Data to 'Plan Ahead'. *AND* if you miss a show, a handful of 'Old-Timer' Poopli folks are recording in 16:9 SD @ MED so you can download a great copy. Download a 16:9 SD show from me (FiOS) or WhiteBar (?DSL?) and feed it via COMPONENT to your HDTV and see what you think of the quality. What screen size / type (LCD or Plasma) is your HDTV?

Finally, regarding price, don't expect anything NEAR the pre June 2011 prices for your 5040. In June 2011 *ALL* units became *LIFETIME* (so subtract the $300 you might have paid). Also, consider a local sale (CraigsList?) to avoid the ~$20 for shipping.

BOTTOM LINE: If ~$20-30 is important to you, sell it. If not, try my 'Experiment'. (If you do 'Experiment', please post your opinion of the quality.)

@TakeThe Active
I have been to the AVS site.

I am not very technical but I can usually figure stuff out.

I can usually follow the directions but everyone knows so much more than I do I have to do back research. I would be happy with 2 Magnavoxes i think or 1 TiVo if it didn't require a cable box and recorded 2 programs at one. I think the Magnavox is probably a better idea.

But I really want to thank each and every one of you. I will do some more reading. But i am happy that I have 2 options. I thought I would have to go back to the discs...which i truly hate. I have 3 DVR670 which have perfectly fine DVR just no VCR. I also have 2 Sonys that I replaced with the DVR670.

• daiquiri said:   ...I can usually follow the directions but everyone knows so much more than I do I have to do back research...AFAIK , folks aren't born knowledgeable. Nor do they obtain knowledge through osmosis. In my case, it involves HOURS and HOURS of reading over WEEKS, which usually turn into MONTHS.

I spent MANY months gathering data on Media Streamers ( {Research | Comparison | Discussion} Media Players / Streamers ) before I bought my first. WMC and NAS were completely overwhelming to me on Day 1. But, I continued to read and build knowledge and eventually became able to "Separate the Wheat From the Chaff" on the hundreds of posts I read on the topic(s).

From my point-of-view, asking a group "Which XXX should I buy?" is like saying "What color car / flavor of ice cream should I buy?". In the end, it's a PERSONAL decision that *YOU* have to make, based on the knowledge you acquired while researching the topic.

• daiquiri said:   ...I would be happy with 2 Magnavoxes i think or 1 TiVo if it didn't require a cable box and recorded 2 programs at one. I think the Magnavox is probably a better idea...What did you base this decision on? (I'm surprised no one else has commented! )

~$500 for TWO one-tuner, SD (480i), ClearQAM and OTA, Manual Scheduling, NO GUIDE DATA Magnavox DVDRs vs ~$600 (New - less used) for ONE TWO-tuner, HD (1080i, IIRC) Scrambled QAM (w/CableCard), ClearQAM and OTA, with GUIDE DATA, semi-automatic scheduling (aka Season Passes w/Priority Levels), etc...

• daiquiri said:   @TakeThe Active
    I have been to the AVS site...
    Did you SEARCH for posts from Kelson on TiVo HD?

He's a BIG FAN of TiVo HD with a CableCard for 'Scrambled QAM' and SiliconDust HDHR3-US External Dual-Tuners running under WMC or similar software for 'Unscrambled' QAM. I also learned about NASes from his posts.

• daiquiri said:   ...I am not very technical but I can usually figure stuff out... ...I will do some more reading...It's YOUR hard-earned money! Take the time to learn as much as you can before listening to someone else's opinion and possibly being greatly disappointed.

MANY of the folks on the previously-LINKed AVS Forum got *GREAT* deals on Refurbed Magnavox 513s (320GB HDD) @ ~$160 and 515s (500GB HDD) @ ~$200 when folks expecting to replace their 'Vendor-Supplied DVR' with a Magnavox DVDR w/HDD were completely SHOCKED when they discovered that:

- there was NO GUIDE DATA.
    - they had to MANUALLY SEARCH FOR the ClearQAM channels (which the vendor frequently moves around "Just for the fun of it!").
    - they had to MANUALLY set Timer-Recordings, like we did with VCRs. Plus, until the 515, you couldn't TITLE a recording until AFTER it recorded.
    - the difference between SD @ 480i and HD @ 1080i is noticeable on a LARGE screen HDTV.
    - etc...

Good Luck!

See you on AVS!!!

@Take The Active

Help!!!
I do not have a wireless router and according to TiVo I need that or it will be unsupported. How big of a deal is that? i have a DSL modem. Dynamic DSL not static. and a PC. the modem gives a different IP address every time it is rebooted. I leave it on all the time. Need to connect with an ethernet cable. Or I can connect to my PC.

I have totally changed my mind. I will go for the TiVo Premiere. I want the TCD746500 which is the latest one, I think. After reading some more this is really the way to go. But I now have the router problem.

Now, do you think refurbished is the way to go or should I go for the new one? I usually steer clear of refurbished or used electronics. Usually fall apart within a short period of time. TiVo gets a pretty good rating for good quality from what I have been reading.

One of my last 2 DVR670 is taping poorly so i may just be buying this tomorrow. Anything more to tell me? I did read Kelson. Thanks for telling me about him.

daiquiri said:   @Take The Active

Help!!!
I do not have a wireless router and according to TiVo I need that or it will be unsupported. How big of a deal is that? i have a DSL modem. Dynamic DSL not static. and a PC. the modem gives a different IP address every time it is rebooted. I leave it on all the time. Need to connect with an ethernet cable. Or I can connect to my PC.

I have totally changed my mind. I will go for the TiVo Premiere. I want the TCD746500 which is the latest one, I think...

...i may just be buying this tomorrow...
You're past my knowledge level regarding TiVo HD. Either ask Kelson (have you REGISTERED @ AVS yet?), or practice using GOOGLE - here are a few LINKs that took me longer to post here than to find:

Read, read, and then read some more.

DO NOT buy anything tomorrow!

Good Luck!

With a TiVo, all you need to do is an ethernet connection from the TiVo to the router. You could use powerline if the router is not nearby. I don't think dynamic vs. static matters. For OTA though, TivoHD's tuner is not the best. Even those coupon DTA converters had a more sensitive tuner. Never used a Premiere, so I cannot comment about that.

It seems to me that most of the OTAers do not use TiVo because of the monthly fee. Other than a do-it-youself solution, there are a few other boxes with no fees. Too bad the reviews on them are only lukewarm.

Turns out the Westell modem i have with my DSL IS a modem/router so i can just connect the TiVo to it with an ethernet cable. The TiVo chat rep i spoke with was all wrong saying it hss to be a wireless connection or it would not be supported.
Thanks everyone i think this will work fine.

I believe those Toshibas are made and designed by Funai, and a lot of them go crazy and need to be reset. Sometimes just unplugging the AC for a minute will do that, but there may be some combination of buttons to push on the remote or front panel to do that, too.

I immediately unplugged the unit then tried again. i also tried a variety of tapes including one I had just watched. I tried recording and at first it worked then stopped and ejected the tape and shut itself off. I called Toshiba and they said it was the optical eye and said they would send a replacement then said I would have to mail it back (and pay for that $60 for USPS the only convenient shipper for me) then they would send me a coupon for $303. which i would have 30 days to use. I decided it was not worth packing and shipping the unit (especially since I was sick at the time and couldn't make it to the corner). And I really don't think they make anything I would want so I passed on it. One of the other ones I bought started chewing up the tapes. The disc recorders work fine it's just the VCR (which is the only one I need or want) I liked Toshiba at one point. I no longer trust them. I dislike the new methods of customer care and instead of recommending Toshiba I caution people I know to stay far away from Toshiba. Shoddy products that fall apart fast and terrible customer service.

If anyone knows a way to reprogram the ToshibaDVR670 I would really appreciate it. I threw this one in the closet.

daiquiri said:   Turns out the Westell modem i have with my DSL IS a modem/router so i can just connect the TiVo to it with an ethernet cable...I had Verizon DSL for a couple of years and today, after reading your recent post, I checked my 'JunkBox' down in the basement and see that it was a 'Westell 6100'.

The 'Router' portion of my particular Westell was *VERY* limited. So, I SEARCHed (and read and read and read ) on DSLReports.Com until I found the procedure to 'Downgrade / Reduce' my Modem/Router into a 'Bridge' - i.e. MODEM *ONLY*. Then, I connected a "DD-WRT Updated" Router (a Buffalo) behind the Westell to give me LOADs of additional features PLUS 4 ports instead of one. Yeah, you could add a SWITCH behind the stock Westell Modem/Router, but you'd still be stuck with a SUCKY Router. *ANY* modem capable of running DD-WRT is a VAST improvement over the Stock version.

Anyhow, today I just wanted to advise you to check out the Westell Forum on DSLReports.Com (I trust that I don't have to manually provide the LINK for you! )

Also, please keep the followers of this thread advised on WHICH TiVo HD you purchase and how it works out for you (i.e. how is the quality of the picture received by the TiVo OTA tuner? What Model TiVo did you purchase? What is the Make/Model of the antenna you're using? How far away from the TV Transmitters is your house/apartment?) There's a *LOT* of good information at the TiVo Community LINKs that I provided you and I do hope that you SEARCH there and read *BEFORE* making your purchase.

Finally, have you posted your 'Toshiba Problem' on the original AVS Forum LINK that I provided for you? CitiBear has a *GREAT* deal of knowledge regarding the past decade or so of DVRs - give him a chance to help you out!

Thanks!

@TakeTheActive

I asked if I could just connect the TiVo via ethernet to my Westell 7500 on the TiVo Forum and again I was told yes.

I did go to the dsl forum but it was extremely confusing. I don't want to buy and set up a fancy router I just want a TiVo to work.

I will probably buy the TiVo TCD746500 with the 3 year warranty (for a whole $8.98 more) from Amazon and the lifetime subscription from TiVo.

I will connect to a Vizio 1080p LCD TV with PIP and 4 HDMI, 2 Component and all kinds of other interconections. I will let you know what kind of reception i get with the HDMI connection. I have the antenna hooked up separately to the TV and the DVR and will do the same with the TiVo. Therefore i will be able to watch one program and record 2 others if I care to do so.

I have a roof antenna (unknown brand and model)which, unfortunately, does not turn. The signals are coming from Manhattan and New Jersey about 10-12 miles away or less. The problem is they are coming from different directions.

I did post my DVR670 problem on AVS Forum and I will let you know if and when i get any answers.

I believe the Westell 7500 does have a DHCP server. I found and downloaded the manual. I also found the IP address and i hope the router will assign the 4th number in the sequence.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014